The next Liverpool manager | Arne Slot Liverpool's Báld Fraud

Needham

Worries me that he has a season of failure to build on. On the up side, no Slah, Van Dick, etc means they could Chelseaize. Plus they'll be the 2nd team on Merseyside given Everton's new stadium. Relegation in 1st season?

ColvaleGoa

I think it kills 2 stones with One bird.

Losing Klopp and getting rid of Salah/Van Dijk means they can always claim transition time.

I mean no can be doing transition like we have been in transition since Sir Alex left.

Here is to hoping for a even longer transition than us at Liverpool.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
like all managerial appointments, it will depend totally on player buy-in. our players have never bought into ten hag. arsenal players never bought into emery. chelsea players in potter. if you’re not running through brick wall for them, then it doesn’t matter how well they lay out the training cones, or their styles of play. having it end sourly under klopp is actually a plus for slot. if it was all sunshines and rainbows and quadruples then he has a tough job. if the players are ready for change, he’s won half the battle already.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
So apparently Slot will only be Head coach and will not have the final say on transfers. That's a good thing I'd say, because as much as I want him to buy Geertruida for 100 million and Bart Nieuwkoop for 65 I think it's better if he steers clear of our league, unlike Hag did.

It will still be weird to cheer him on at Liverpool :lol: Guess I'll change my name to Sarne Lot.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
So apparently Slot will only be Head coach and will not have the final say on transfers. That's a good thing I'd say, because as much as I want him to buy Geertruida for 100 million and Bart Nieuwkoop for 65 I think it's better if he steers clear of our league, unlike Hag did.

It will still be weird to cheer him on at Liverpool :lol: Guess I'll change my name to Sarne Lot.
Ay curumba!

Grande

At United we let the head coach do all the transfers.

erikcred

like all managerial appointments, it will depend totally on player buy-in. our players have never bought into ten hag. arsenal players never bought into emery. chelsea players in potter. if you’re not running through brick wall for them, then it doesn’t matter how well they lay out the training cones, or their styles of play. having it end sourly under klopp is actually a plus for slot. if it was all sunshines and rainbows and quadruples then he has a tough job. if the players are ready for change, he’s won half the battle already.
Damn, you put a proper positive spin even on this toxic situation at Liverpool. You must work in PR.

Zed is not dead

You can be sure that if he wins a couple of games at the start of the season this place is going to turn on Berrada/Ashworth/Ratcliffe for either not sacking Ten Hag or to say they brought in the wrong replacement

Yakuza_devils

I am really happy that Liverpool appoints Arne Slot as manager. The good time is back.... for Man Utd fans.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Worries me that he has a season of failure to build on. On the up side, no Slah, Van Dick, etc means they could Chelseaize. Plus they'll be the 2nd team on Merseyside given Everton's new stadium. Relegation in 1st season?
Hardly. He’ll be doing damn well to match this season’s points total, whatever happens from here. It’s not like he’s taking over from Ten Haag, is it?

Dansk

I had never heard of Arne Slot before he became a candidate to take the reins at Liverpool. Looking at his Wikipedia page, he has won... one league title, during a season where Ajax were floundering with an interim manager after ETH's departure; and they aren't winning it this season. He also won a single Dutch cup where they played a final against some club called Nijmegen that I've never heard of. The team they played in the semifinal, Groningen, aren't even in the top flight. They're not exactly huge accomplishments that should propel him to the big stage. They were also knocked out of the CL group stage this season, finishing third behind Lazio who are currently in 7th place in Serie A. Celtic finished last in that group, and their sole win was against Feyenoord who won two games in six and lost the remaining four in a rather easy group. Nowhere in any of that do I see anything that says he belongs at the very top of the sport.

I obviously know nothing about the guy save for what I'm seeing when I look him up, but can anybody explain to me what Liverpool want with him? ETH was considered quite the gamble for us, and yet his accomplishments were considerably more impressive than Slot's when he left the Netherlands, having won more than twice as many trophies in the same timeframe and did quite well in the CL with Ajax. I'm just having a hard time seeing how this guy has become Liverpool's target. Does he bring anything to the table that can't be gleaned from his Wiki page? Is there something about him that makes people go "okay, he hasn't accomplished a great deal, but he's got X, Y and Z qualities that make him a top candidate for one of the world's biggest clubs"?

Last edited:

Fallon d'Floor

I had never heard of Arne Slot before he became a candidate to take the reins at Liverpool. Looking at his Wikipedia page, he has won... one league title, during a season where Ajax were floundering with an interim manager after ETH's departure; and they aren't winning it this season. He also won a single Dutch cup where they played a final against some club called Nijmegen that I've never heard of. The team they played in the semifinal, Groningen, aren't even in the top flight. They're not exactly huge accomplishments that should propel him to the big stage. They were also knocked out of the CL group stage this season, finishing third behind Lazio who are currently in 7th place in Serie A. Celtic finished last in that group, and their sole win was against Feyenoord who won two games in six and lost the remaining four in a rather easy group. Nowhere in any of that do I see anything that says he belongs at the very top of the sport.

I obviously know nothing about the guy save for what I'm seeing when I look him up, but can anybody explain to me what Liverpool want with him? ETH was considered quite the gamble for us, and yet his accomplishments were considerably more impressive than Slot's when he left the Netherlands, having won more than twice as many trophies in the same timeframe and did quite well in the CL with Ajax. I'm just having a hard time seeing how this guy has become Liverpool's target. Does he bring anything to the table that can't be gleaned from his Wiki page? Is there something about him that makes people go "okay, he hasn't accomplished a great deal, but he's got X, Y and Z qualities that make him a top candidate for one of the world's biggest clubs"?
I agree that it's risky when you look at how ten Hag and de Boer have done in The PL.

Bosz hasn't done great outside of The Netherlands either. His PSV Eindhoven team could break all kinds of records this season.

Slot has impressed as a manager in The Netherlands due to his ability to get clubs performing beyond their means.

16/17 - Reached the SF of The KNVP Cup for the 1st time in Cambuur's history
17/2018 - Beat ten Hag's Ajax team twice that season and were joint top on points by the time the season was cancelled due to Covid-19
21/22 - Reached the final of The UEFA Conference League with Feyenoord
22/23 - Won The Eredivisie (only their 2nd title this century)
23/24 - Won The KNVP Cup

Basically, he's been able to compete with the two biggest clubs (Ajax and PSV Eindhoven) with less fashionable clubs and overall resources.

His style of play should suit Liverpool's squad. But it's definitely a big risk.

padzilla

Hipster
The question is can Slot help Liverpool maintain their golden period of 1 league title in 34 years?

frostbite

The question is can Slot help Liverpool maintain their golden period of 1 league title in 34 years?
Another question is can Slot pretend he is Klopp?

I think it's possible. With fake teeth and toupee...

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord

You need someone to prop up Slot? Well look no further!

When Slot took over from Advocaat we were nearly bankrupt (literally) and lost our best player to Ajax. We were nearly knocked out of the Conference League playoffs by FC Drita (I'm sure you've heard of mighty Drita... no? Of course not). Luckily for Slot he could go wild on the transfer market and bought Fredrik Aursnes for 400.000, Gernot Trauner for 1.4 million and loaned Cyriel Dessers from Heracles Almelo fame. We went on to reach the final of the conference league, twatted PSV 0-4 and finished 3rd.

After this surprisingly good season we lost 8 of our 11 starting players and still had feck all money to spend. He replaced them all on we won the league. Yes Ajax had a relatively poor year after Ten Hag left, but the money they paid for Steven Bergwijn is still more than our entire transfer budget and we beat Ajax away from home for the first time in like 26 years (and you lot think United fans have a shite time of it). The points total we ended on also would see us champions most years (more points than any of the 4 times Ajax won the league under Frank de Boer for instance, to give an example of another great manager :wenger: ) Of course we lost to fecking AS Roma again in Europe, but feck it.

This season we were favourites to win the league, managed to retain some of our players and were very confident... But then PSV won literally (and I mean that literally not in a reddit way) all their games up to February (feck you @Eendracht maakt macht) and were unbeatable. We did beat them in the cup by the way, and also number 3 FC Twente, so that run wasnt very easy.

Aynway, long story short, when we started we could barely beat FC Drita. When he leaves people laugh at us for only finishing 3rd in our CL group. So all hail king Arne.

Fecking hell, I just realised I'm now officially Amadeus. I need a shower.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
You still have self awareness. There is hope for you.
Haha I do have that and I realize hiring Slot is a massive gamble as he is a nobody. He's Feyenoord best trainer in the last 35 years though. With a very comfortable margin.

Last edited:

erikcred

This season we were favourites to win the league, managed to retain some of our players and were very confident... But then PSV won literally (and I mean that literally not in a reddit way) all their games up to February (feck you @Eendracht maakt macht) and were unbeatable. We did beat them in the cup by the way, and also number 3 FC Twente, so that run wasnt very easy.
Had no idea. Their gd now is 86! Should we get Bosz?

Stadjer

Failed at Dortmund and did an average job at Lyon. He did fairly well at Leverkusen.

He suits The Eredivisie.
He started off really well at Dortmund.

I think Bosz is a very good manager but he is stubborn. He wants to attack and enjoy the football his team is playing. He will never park the bus. A bit like the Dutch Bielsa.

Im glad he wins the league this season because he never won a title and it was used to mock him. He also had his part in that amazing ETH Ajax team because he gave debuts to de Jong and de Ligt for example.

He has said multiple times that PSV will be his last club (im sure if Manchester United came along that he would reconsider that though) but he wants to coach our national team. Hopefully he will be Koeman his replacement.

Pascal Quiff

Supports
Liverpool
You need someone to prop up Slot? Well look no further!

When Slot took over from Advocaat we were nearly bankrupt (literally) and lost our best player to Ajax. We were nearly knocked out of the Conference League playoffs by FC Drita (I'm sure you've heard of mighty Drita... no? Of course not). Luckily for Slot he could go wild on the transfer market and bought Fredrik Aursnes for 400.000, Gernot Trauner for 1.4 million and loaned Cyriel Dessers from Heracles Almelo fame. We went on to reach the final of the conference league, twatted PSV 0-4 and finished 3rd.

After this surprisingly good season we lost 8 of our 11 starting players and still had feck all money to spend. He replaced them all on we won the league. Yes Ajax had a relatively poor year after Ten Hag left, but the money they paid for Steven Bergwijn is still more than our entire transfer budget and we beat Ajax away from home for the first time in like 26 years (and you lot think United fans have a shite time of it). The points total we ended on also would see us champions most years (more points than any of the 4 times Ajax won the league under Frank de Boer for instance, to give an example of another great manager :wenger: ) Of course we lost to fecking AS Roma again in Europe, but feck it.

Aynway, long story short, when we started we could barely beat FC Drita. When he leaves people laugh at us for only finishing 3rd in our CL group. So all hail king Arne.

Fecking hell, I just realised I'm now officially Amadeus. I need a shower.
How does he measure up, in terms of defensive set-up? Are we to expect the wild roller-coaster of frenetic defending to which we have now become accustomed?

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Watch him come in and show ETH up. He’ll have a playing style straight away… winning games from the off.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Watch him come in and show ETH up. He’ll have a playing style straight away… winning games from the off.
Is his playing style even that different? I’d imagine the job he’s got is a lot easier than the one Ten Hag walked into. For Slot the players, structure, style etc are already there, he just needs to come in and keep those plates spinning.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
How does he measure up, in terms of defensive set-up? Are we to expect the wild roller-coaster of frenetic defending to which we have now become accustomed?
Pressure very high up the pitch and a high defensive line. I imagine the style of play being similar to Klopp's is why you're signing him.

The playing style even more than the results is what endeared him to us Feyenoorders so. We're not used to watching spectacular football. We're used to winning the league once every 20 years by working harder than the opponent :wenger:

Still, as I said, he's a gamble. He'll walk in and Salah will think, who the feck's this bald cnut.

NLunited

Pool needs to rebuild, and if they are patient, Slot can do well there.

Oh feck what do I care, feck Pool with their Aldi Pep.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Is his playing style even that different? I’d imagine the job he’s got is a lot easier than the one Ten Hag walked into. For Slot the players, structure, style etc are already there, he just needs to come in and keep those plates spinning.
Good point. I think that’s the reason they opted for him over managers like Amorim. Think Slot fits Klopps style better than anyone els.

erikcred

Pool needs to rebuild, and if they are patient, Slot can do well there.
They'll be patient as long as he doesn't embarrass them in the CL. Think that's really what pushed Rodgers over the edge.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
:lol: :lol: :lol: classic rimaldo post. A lot more subtle than your other work but if you read it carefully it's clearly a long knob joke.

sugar_kane

I still don't get this appointment, it feels like one Wolves or West Ham would make.

Liverpool fans very much talking themselves into getting excited about it, but it's fairly reminiscent of us after Moyes was announced - convincing ourselves everything was going to be great instead of acknowledging what is clearly an underwhelming appointment.

We're talking about replacing one of the top two managers in the world here. Is Slot really the best out there?

If that's the best Liverpool can do I'd rather we stay out of the managers market this summer and see who comes to prominence over the course of next season.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I'm delighted they're going for Slot. Might be wrong but don't think he'll do very well there. Very surprised they went in this direction, pleasantly surprised though.

BorisManUtd

Seems like his teams play good football so guess it’s a case of if he’s got the personality for it or not.

Is it still pure speculation or is close to being done deal?

Yakuza_devils

Punching above his weight in Eredivisie is totally different in PL. Even the best out there Pep and Klopp took 1 or 2 season to adjust.

We have seen how LVG and ETH started in the PL aggressively with high intensity attacking football and totally changed the system after getting properly shafted.