The [non] use of Van de Beek - Ole's player?

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Nothing to do with his level. He just doesnt fit into the team. He has a very limited skill set. He moves play on to a creative player near him, creates space with a run and may score a goal. That's it. He wont suddenly start making decisive through balls or dribble past the opposition after adjusting to the league. He never did that, not even against Fortuna Sittard and VVV.

He's like a potato peeler, great at what he does, but rubbish for most other tasks.

Denis' cuff

One of Woowoo’s pics, recommended by the “recruitment team”. Very much doubt Ole’s pick. No offence to the lad himself but just typical of arse upwards recruitment. Same as happens at Chelsea.

Andersons Dietician

The guy was alway bought to be Bruno’s back up and replace Lingard as well as giving a different style of play to Bruno.
The reason he doesn’t currently play is because he would be better in a possesion based team which we are not. I’m sure at somepoint Ole is going to start moving us in a direction where we don’t ust rely on fast counters and can control and attack from periods of possesion. When that happens we’ll get the best out of VDB.

As for the performance at the weekend I personally thought he was quite good. My one bug bear with Bruno is that when we are building play he is never in the position he’s supposed to be because he’s on the shoulder of a defender so a lot of moves break down as no one is giving the option to take the ball in midfield in the space where he should be unless it’s Martial. VDB however was there and making offers as well as making plenty of great runs.

He‘s never going to be a Bruno as he just doesn’t play as wreckless as Bruno doesnt mean he won’t be an asset to the team.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
It sounds weird to say it, but having this better/ more top class version of Lingard (a CAM that plays like a forward) and Pereira (a CM that can play deeper and help us build up some play) - sounds like a great bit of business.

If he was an Ole choice player then I'm quite excited to see how he develops with games under his belt playing alongside the rest of the team.

bsCallout

Try google "Lampard box to box midfielder". It's like the whole world says he is. And only you say he isn't. Chance you're right is quite small imo.
I'm with Pexbo. Lampard was never a B2B midfielder.

Bertie Wooster

I'm with Pexbo. Lampard was never a B2B midfielder.
I certainly think it's a debateable issue. For me, Lampard wasn't a box to box midfielder in the same mould as Gerrard - which is why, for England, Gerrard was the more mobile, versatile one capable of playing various roles and getting around the pitch more - playing a box to box role, the more defensive role of the two, or starting out wide when needed. Whereas Lampard could only play CAM with a defensive midfielder to protect him. He played for Chelsea more as a #10 playing an advanced midfield role, but who looked to get into the box to score himself rather than a #10 who oozed class and creativity. Whether he'd have been given that role had he moved to the likes of Barcelona or Madrid I don't know.

bsCallout

I certainly think it's a debateable issue. For me, Lampard wasn't a box to box midfielder in the same mould as Gerrard - which is why, for England, Gerrard was the more mobile, versatile one capable of playing various roles and getting around the pitch more - playing a box to box role, the more defensive role of the two, or starting out wide when needed. Whereas Lampard could only play CAM with a defensive midfielder to protect him. He played for Chelsea more as a #10 playing an advanced midfield role, but who looked to get into the box to score himself rather than a #10 who oozed class and creativity. Whether he'd have been given that role had he moved to the likes of Barcelona or Madrid I don't know.
I don't think Lampard would have got in any top team as a pure B2B CM. At a mid table club he'd have been used there probably but his game was definitely based on his ability in the final third.