The number 1 attribute we need in a new manager

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
is the ability to develop players(especially young players). Our future is in the hands of Mainoo, Rasmus, Garnacho. If these three continue to improve and develop then we have a chance. If we are relying on the senior players to carry this team into the future we are fecked. Of course recruitment will also be key and I could see an argument that talent recognition might be equally important.

Above a winning past, tactics or personality, I think player development is the key thing INEOS should look at when replacing ETH this summer who is pretty much a dead man walking.

Do you agree and if not what would be the number 1 attribute you think we need in the new boss?

Glorio

The ability to instill a defined, dominant, attacking style of play that's not thoroughly dependent to very specific players being available.

I know you asked for 1, but 2 would be meritocracy (also, I'd add Amad to your list of key future players)

JeffFromHK

Bring modern tactics the club instead of "hoof it forward!" sit deep and counter attack approach which is never sustainable. I don't get if we get two 8th in a row as a result. We just need to axe any players that do not fit the modern "high press with build up from the back possession tactics" used by likes of Arsenal and City, including Rashford.

The exact biggest problem of ETH to me is that he scrapped his attempts for modern tactics for his myopic "transition football"

jamesjimmybyrondean

I think being able to create a system that makes a team defensively solid is what elevates teams to title contenders and champions

Steve 007

Bravery, Ten Haag had it getting rid of Ronaldo and Sancho and nearly Maguire. We need someone to go again with Rashford. We need someone who’s going to go for it in big games. You’d have to brave to take this job.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
The ability to play a certain way and have a philosophy that everyone can see. Man management is very important aswell. Build a positive relationship with your players… a happy squad is a winning one.

Mike Smalling

A coherent style of play that brings the best out of our players.

So many of our problems would be lessened, if we were coached well. Players would look better, morale would improve, results would pick up, etc.

Not saying it would be simple with this bunch of players, but it can definitely be better than it currently is.

Red&Black

Supports
Milan
#1 attribute - should be italian.

kind of a joke... but kind of not... Gasperini is there for the taking... But you'd need an overhaul (which is needed, but an ownership that'll allow it)

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
The problem with the style of play argument is that is exactly what we thought we were getting with ETH. A modern coach with progressive ideas. But he caved to pressure from the players or whoever and chose a "system" he think is getting the best out of his players that is going to cost him his job. The question is also can we play that way can keep the same key players and also will the fans be patient enough through the building process

Someone

Something
The number 1 attribute should be the right personality imo. To lead a big club you need to have charisma, and a big personality to go with it. The most successful managers in history always had this. Pep and Klopp use different tactics, but what makes them stand out is their ability to get the absolute best out of their teams. If the players believe in you and give their best, the rest is easy imo.

Acquire Me

We need a man who can set aside 2-3 years of his life and get fecked hard by our players time after time.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
The number 1 attribute should be the right personality imo. To lead a big club you need to have charisma, and a big personality to go with it. The most successful managers in history always had this. Pep and Klopp use different tactics, but what makes them stand out is their ability to get the absolute best out of their teams. If the players believe in you and give their best, the rest is easy imo.
Agree. It's not that complicated, recruit good players and get a manager that can motivate them and get them buying in to what he wants to do. Like you say the rest will follow.

Newstyle

The problem with the style of play argument is that is exactly what we thought we were getting with ETH. A modern coach with progressive ideas. But he caved to pressure from the players or whoever and chose a "system" he think is getting the best out of his players that is going to cost him his job. The question is also can we play that way can keep the same key players and also will the fans be patient enough through the building process
ETH has never been a coach that instills his specific system. He has played a different style in all of the club he has managed. If we want that kind of coach De Zerbi is probably the most attainable one.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
Bravery not to ditch tactics to save his job.
Tactical nous to adapt to the most demanding league in the world.
Actually have some tactical ability.

didz

The number 1 attribute would obviously not be developing young players. If it was, we'd all be pretty happy with Ten Hag as that's one thing you can't deny he's done well.

It's probably not having a defined system and a determination to stick to it either. Ten Hag does have a system he won't budge from, even when the players he needs to make it work are missing and what he has is woefully unsuited to it.

The obvious answer is that the number 1 attribute should be winning football matches or at the very least not allowing us to slide into relegation form. I realise that that may come across as a curt response though, so I'll say that a new manager should be able to adapt to what he's got every week. That means having a style of play that isn't totally reliant on having a superhuman DM or a left winger in the goalscoring form of his life. Crucially, it means being able to come up with a plan that doesn't fall to pieces when Licha and/or Shaw are unavailable.

I didn't know we were fecked after any of our defeats this season. I knew we were fecked when those two players were ruled out. It's not a great look when you know your manager definitely won't be able to find a solution to an injury.

Abraxas

There just isn't one key attribute for a Manchester United manager.

There's loads of qualities you need, it's very hard to nail it down to one most important thing because if you're not the full package you will get found out. The job is far too difficult to muddle through.

The only thing that's changed with INEOS coming in is maybe they don't have to have the same eye on the transfer market. But ultimately they still have a voice so even that's not a free day off, it's just a lesser emphasis than what ETH had to do.

They need to develop players, be able to instill a cohesive way of playing, be tactically sound before and during games, handle the media convincingly, be able to manage up, and basically have the personality to be a figurehead for this club in everything they do. If the job wears them down or they don't show the club in the best light that becomes an issue.

If they fail on any of those things they'll get shown up.

RedCoffee

Rants that backfired
Proven premier league pedigree. As with players, bringing in foreign coaches is 50/50.
We need a manager who has proven they can cut it in this league and play the right way.

pascell

I don't think we're going the manager route, more a head coach as I'm sure there was an article saying Ashworth/DoF will handle the player side of things in the new structure.

Hampshire Rec

Someone who knows how to win games we don't deserve to and has the brains to ensure We don’t lose games we should win

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
While it's a nice perk developing players isn't the most important attribute for a manager that is working for one of the biggest clubs. The most important attribute is the ability to put players in a position to success regardless of their main qualities. You do not want a one trick pony as a manager or someone that his so full of himself that he follows a "my way or the highway" logic. You want a manager that thrives when it comes to problem solving.

It's one of the reasons why I have always loved Ancelotti and always wished that he manage United. Ancelotti has a system that he favors but he has no issue abandoning it if it doesn't work for his current players or if something could be better. That's also why I love Klopp, his best Dortmund and Liverpool teams have very little in common outside of having the same manager.

Woziak

The number 1 attribute would obviously not be developing young players. If it was, we'd all be pretty happy with Ten Hag as that's one thing you can't deny he's done well.

It's probably not having a defined system and a determination to stick to it either. Ten Hag does have a system he won't budge from, even when the players he needs to make it work are missing and what he has is woefully unsuited to it.

The obvious answer is that the number 1 attribute should be winning football matches or at the very least not allowing us to slide into relegation form. I realise that that may come across as a curt response though, so I'll say that a new manager should be able to adapt to what he's got every week. That means having a style of play that isn't totally reliant on having a superhuman DM or a left winger in the goalscoring form of his life. Crucially, it means being able to come up with a plan that doesn't fall to pieces when Licha and/or Shaw are unavailable.

I didn't know we were fecked after any of our defeats this season. I knew we were fecked when those two players were ruled out. It's not a great look when you know your manager definitely won't be able to find a solution to an injury.
This is a great point, as well as the obvious traits like Courage, integrity, intelligence, tactical acumen, for me number 1 is Flexibility, ETH is stubborn beyond belief he never changes his system for no team and that’s why he’ll never be a truly elite coach, all of the great coaches are able to adjust when they know their opponent cause a threat, either before the game or in game. Our coach is so convinced by his 4-1-2-3 or 3-1-6 formation that he is often out thought in many games.

The Club just took 6 points from our last 7 PL games which included City, Chelsea and Liverpool but also Fulham, Everton, Bournemouth and Brentford.

Injuries are also a major issue at all the other teams, not to have least got 10 points from those games, suggest this clown will never learn, when your conceding 25-30 shots a game your playing relegation football, survival football and no Manager Coach should ever be allowed to do that with the cost of the players and the wages paid, but also to ETH he’s paid an awful lot more than Thomas Frank, Marco Silva, Sean Dyche, Andoni Iraola so you would expect a lot more from him he’s been out thought tactically by coaches like Roy Hodgson, Nuno Espirito Santos and Roberto De Zerbie, these coaches were mostly deemed not good enough for a Top 6 team then why is he?

De Zerbie regularly has his number, probably finds it’s so easy to break down a lacklustre United.

The fans can’t take any more risks, with young managers right now, we need to get a safe pair of hands, should Madrid blow up at the end of the season Ancelotti would be available, if not he will be in 12 months, so let’s find a now solution right now on a two plus one year contract who we can sack easily if necessary.

I hate myself for saying this but Potter might be an option on that short of a contract, he’s tactically clever, adjusts to the scenario clearly was awful at Chelsea but there was mitigating circumstances, he will adjust his team to play 4-3-3 4231 3421 343, I can’t believe I’m saying this but I’d actually sack ETH after the Coventry game win or lose?

That gives Potter 6 maybe 7 games to bed in before the real hard work starts. Southgate would truly be the worst option imaginable, Potter could be an unmitigated disaster as we know already he struggles to manage so many top egos, but clear the deck for him with young players and you never know, he won’t win the Fa Cup but neither will ETH, maybe you bring in Hansi Flick and maybe he could but then it’s highly doubtful. Now if we could sign Naigelsmann, that’s the best current option but I think he’s going back to Bayern, if England play Germany, Southgate will be exposed even though he has the better players. Unless Ineos pull a real Rabbit out of the hat and Jean Claude Blanc has convinced Zidane, I just don’t see any other option than Potter right now, he’s free so won’t effect PSR, he’s known by Ashworth and INEOS and Berrada probably prefers him to Southgate and his football is easy on the eye.

Woziak

While it's a nice perk developing players isn't the most important attribute for a manager that is working for one of the biggest clubs. The most important attribute is the ability to put players in a position to success regardless of their main qualities. You do not want a one trick pony as a manager or someone that his so full of himself that he follows a "my way or the highway" logic. You want a manager that thrives when it comes to problem solving.

It's one of the reasons why I have always loved Ancelotti and always wished that he manage United. Ancelotti has a system that he favors but he has no issue abandoning it if it doesn't work for his current players or if something could be better. That's also why I love Klopp, his best Dortmund and Liverpool teams have very little in common outside of having the same manager.
Exactly my point Ancelotti was born to coach United, we’re desperate for a wise old head right now, I’d even appoint a short term coach now on 2+1 rolling contract so we could move if he becomes available.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
There just isn't one key attribute for a Manchester United manager.

There's loads of qualities you need, it's very hard to nail it down to one most important thing because if you're not the full package you will get found out. The job is far too difficult to muddle through.

The only thing that's changed with INEOS coming in is maybe they don't have to have the same eye on the transfer market. But ultimately they still have a voice so even that's not a free day off, it's just a lesser emphasis than what ETH had to do.

They need to develop players, be able to instill a cohesive way of playing, be tactically sound before and during games, handle the media convincingly, be able to manage up, and basically have the personality to be a figurehead for this club in everything they do. If the job wears them down or they don't show the club in the best light that becomes an issue.

If they fail on any of those things they'll get shown up.
All true

I think this is probably the correct answer. I concede that even though it's our DNA developing young players has to take a back seat to winning. Ideally of course we are able to do both.

r0663664

Worships Man City
No.1 attribute is to make average player looks decent EPL players that means he has the ability to motivate the players and they are willing run thru the wall for him. No matter what is the tactics or player quality, this is the No.1 attribute. We don't have to spend millions and millions on so called big stars if none of them is willing to put in a shift. Alex used to buy cheap players who perform equally as well as top starts Park, O'Shea, Vidic (warrior) and etc. Our spine needs 3-4 workhorses but unfortunately, we don't have many.

RuudTom83

Club is cursed! I don’t have any confidence in the next guy being any better.

INEOS need to recognise the reoccurring problems and put people in place to protect the manager.

Getting ahold of the dressing room and social media would be a step in the right direction.

OverratedOpinion

Someone who is able to identify his own failings and address them rather than doubling down
It surprises me how stubborn Ten Hag has been this season. I gave him credit last season for realising early on that whatever he was trying was not working and switching back to something a bit more pragmatic.

I'm guessing he feels he built up enough equity last season to double down.

msjmohd83

Club is cursed! I don’t have any confidence in the next guy being any better.

INEOS need to recognise the reoccurring problems and put people in place to protect the manager.

Getting ahold of the dressing room and social media would be a step in the right direction.
Resetting the squad should be a priority, if not the next manager will have same old problem