• Burnley away
  • Palace home (cup)
  • Palace home
  • Galatasaray home
  • Brentford home
  • Sheffield Utd Away
  • Kobenhavn home
  • City home
Agree. Genuinely think we will go on a great run up until that City game and look a completely different team. I was briefly concerned with the Brighton game, but fine after today. Clubs go through shit runs, especially show when you combine off the pitch issues with an injury crisis & a shit run of fixtures. We've had all of those in this period. With Amrabat and Mount returning this weekend I think and Varane shortly, the midfield will look rejuvenated, we can rotate our center backs a bit, and in general we'll be fine. Especially with the bounce back mentality that I think we'll show now. Wouldn't surprise me if we win them all before City and then give them a good game.
The pitchforks will be out again if they aren’t playing at 100% on Saturday which they won’t be. Luckily for us these are good games to build up a head of steam, form, morale, fitness. Sort out the Sancho situation further etc. Things will stabilise. We are a top 4 club and good enough to get to the knockouts of the CL but we are a team in constant transition and as always will fall short. It’s a pity that we will have to replace Casemiro and Varane next season which will likely lengthen this transition period even further. Ambitious new owners and a few players like young Casemiro and Varane and we are thereabouts again.

Last edited:

RedOrange

I'm basing it on the fact that Casemiro's ball retention isn't very good, and Bruno's ball retention isn't very good. What this team needs, is someone who makes a high volume of passes, at a very high accuracy. Mount doesn't provide that.
We need Mount to press like a maniac and move around the pitch first and foremost. He's not Pirlo on the ball but he's not McTominay either. Enough with the constant doomsaying ffs

the_cliff

Good idea, might do similar.

As an aside, I feel many United fans would benefit from taking a break from social media and/or sports media in general.

To be fair, we talk about the pressure associated with playing for United - to a degree, there's also a certain amount of 'pressure' on our fanbase.

United stories sell newspapers, clicks, airtime and engagement - and we all know negative news stories outperform positive news stories.

As soon as we hit a bump in the road, the media pile-on, and I feel many football fans generally are not equipped to deal with it. Ours have an even harder time because we're bombarded with it. That leads to the kind of anger and impatience we see manifested in the comments on here.

So, simple answer is...turn it off. Don't listen to TalkSport, don't click about on Sky Sports or BBC Sport websites, don't get involved in online arguments in the comments section of Paddy Powers' latest social media post and don't partake in 'hilarious' banter with colleagues at work.

Honestly, once you stop engaging with all that nonsense, you suddenly find you're not furious all the time - and that applies to many things really, not just football. Could equally be talking about Politics or anything widely reported on/discussed online.
I agree with this. I usually stay away from sports media after a loss for this reason. It's ridiculous how big the double standards are in the media, especially when it comes to United, Tuchel even commented on it pre game. Maybe it's to do with having many former players in the media or maybe it's just all out obsession because we're the biggest club in England but it's always overly dramatic when it comes to us. I mean take todays loss for example, the amount of outrage you'll hear for losing 4-3 with this many injuries and a dodgy penalty decision will be worse than when Spurs lost 7-2 or when Arsenal lost 5-1.

There was a point last season where we were the best thing since sliced bread (after the Barca win) and now we're the worst team in the country without any context. Unfortunately like most fans on this forum, most media pundits/ fan channels are very reactive and don't even have a constructive/professional view on things. You've got Gary Neville/Rio/Scholes who act like redcafe posters on tv always going to extremes and the 'neutral' pundits can't even comment on us without being plainly biased, it's ridiculous.

Watch us win 5 in a row now and all the pundits will have us as potential UCL winners. Bunch of clowns.

Dominos

We need Mount to press like a maniac and move around the pitch first and foremost. He's not Pirlo on the ball but he's not McTominay either. Enough with the constant doomsaying ffs
And we'll be left with no high volume passer and ball retention player in our midfield. And we'll suffer for it.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
The pitchforks will be out again if they aren’t playing at 100% on Saturday which they won’t be. Luckily for us these are good games to build up a head of steam, form, morale, fitness. Sort out the Sancho situation further etc. Things will stabilise. We are a top 4 club and good enough to get to the knockouts of the CL but we are a team in constant transition and as always will fall short. It’s a pity that we will have to replace Casemiro and Varane next season which will likely lengthen this transition period even further. Ambitious new owners and a few players like young Casemiro and Varane and we are thereabouts again.
Varane yeah, but casemiro has more years in him. Literally just need to get someone like Amrabat next to him to relieve some pressure and have a pair handle defensive areas which is pretty normal, and manage his minutes a bit more than "play every minute".

lex talionis

I’m sorry, but I just can’t be on board with losing to good teams and hope that we can just beat the bad teams. There will always be injuries. Brighton had injury issues as well and still tore us apart, limb my limb. Whatever has gone wrong is much deeper than an injury crisis and is not easily swept under the rug.

RedOrange

And we'll be left with no high volume passer and ball retention player in our midfield. And we'll suffer for it.
If you were this good at predicting the future you'd have found a way to make money off it.

reelworld

One if the biggest is that we've become really good at winning the ball in dangerous areas - we're top of the league for high turnovers. Unfortunately we're bottom for high turnovers leading to a goal, which means we're either panicking, or aren't sure how to take advantage of those situations, but that's something that can be drilled and will come with experience.
Our final third passes quality are very poor. But it does not help when you have players like McTominay who is poor on the ball. One chance against Brighton that I remember is McTominay won the ball up high but his next touch was a wayward through ball to Hojlund. A better passer would have put him through.
On top of that, the players actually seem to be set up pretty well for the pressing system we're trying to play, but we're often being undone by individual mistakes and some lazy tracking. The former can be overcome with experience and drilling, the latter will hopefully improve when we get some of our more athletic and game players back from injury.

Another of our issues is that heads go down when we concede, and our system suffers for it. Hopefully once the above pans out and we start actually benefiting from turnovers and preventing the easy goals the players will gain more faith in it and themselves, which will allow us to respond to setbacks better.

Every match we've had apart from Wolves has seen us at least match our opposition, and even in the Wolves match we won the ball high so many times we really should have punished them and made it a different match. Once we start doing that consistently, our full 90 performances and results will improve dramatically.
Mentality issue is the main one and the biggest mystery to me. We were very good last season under Ten Hag on coming back to win/draw the match after going behind. I don't understand why it's night and day this season.
But I also think that the pressing system that Ten Hag wanted us to play is not sustainable in the long term. Hell, it's barely sustainable for 90 minutes. And then there's an issue that if the press did not work, we don't have another plan to counter that

BristolRuss

Given our lack of a right wing at the moment if we move that position into midfield I think we will do fine if Mount and Amrabat are close to playing.

--------Rashford---------Hojlund---------
------------------Bruno--------------------
------------Mount--Casemiro-------------
----------------Amrabat-------------------
LB------------Cb--------CB-------------RB
-----------------Onana--------------------

Micky Targaryen

Love and respect the optimism but I just keep wondering how many more times do we need to "look for the positives" in every match this season. It's getting to be a very numbing feeling. :nervous:

Eddy_JukeZ

If we lose to Burnley somehow, I really fear for this place. Might have the biggest meltdown it's ever had(and I might be included in that).

We absolutely have to beat Burnely and ideally with a convincing performance.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Got a great run of games coming up and players coming back from injury. It’s our time to shine… we start panicking if we don’t beat Burnley. I think we can put a few past them, they play a completely different style now to what we’ve been use to over the years. It will be a more open game.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
Fine is a very relative term.

A good portion of us were hoping to see United start making a step up towards returning to challenging for the big prizes.

Is there a club of similar stature currently om a ten-year run with no league or CL?

United might end up being fine in terms of their post Ferguson standards but these are not high enough

Luffy

Gomu Gomu
Oh, we will be fine! Things had been much better and could get worse. But everything is fine because the situation can get so much worse. It can't be as bad as LVG football. Therefore things will be great in the future.

quadrant

My only worry about this spell is the impact on morale going forward. But while I want to be winning these kind of games, the last few games have been against very good teams while we've had nightmare selection problems.

From now until December we only have 1 obviously tough game, City at home in a month's time. Other than that it's all mid table or relegation candidates. And we'll have most of our key players back during that time as well. I feel like the waters will feel a lot calmer in a couple of weeks time once we get a few wins under our belt and the squad all back

R'hllor

Fine being fine but is fine good enough, is that ambition/demand of the fan base, to be fine?

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Plenty of reasons to remain optimistic for the remaining part of the season.
That said, we need two of Mount / Amrabat / Mainoo to be a success, otherwise we're fecked beyond this season with this squad.

Acquire Me

I don't agree with your analysis of the Brighton match @bosnian_red, I thought it was close and was decided by poor tracking of runners and poor decision making in the final third, particularly by Rashford, rather than tactics, but that's probably another conversation.

As for the sentiment in your post though, I wholeheartedly agree and I think if people look beyond the losses and scorelines, there are some promising signs.

One if the biggest is that we've become really good at winning the ball in dangerous areas - we're top of the league for high turnovers. Unfortunately we're bottom for high turnovers leading to a goal, which means we're either panicking, or aren't sure how to take advantage of those situations, but that's something that can be drilled and will come with experience.

On top of that, the players actually seem to be set up pretty well for the pressing system we're trying to play, but we're often being undone by individual mistakes and some lazy tracking. The former can be overcome with experience and drilling, the latter will hopefully improve when we get some of our more athletic and game players back from injury.

Another of our issues is that heads go down when we concede, and our system suffers for it. Hopefully once the above pans out and we start actually benefiting from turnovers and preventing the easy goals the players will gain more faith in it and themselves, which will allow us to respond to setbacks better.

Every match we've had apart from Wolves has seen us at least match our opposition, and even in the Wolves match we won the ball high so many times we really should have punished them and made it a different match. Once we start doing that consistently, our full 90 performances and results will improve dramatically.
I have seen that myself, the part you mentioned on high turnovers. That part has been excellent. But as you say, we don’t convert them to goals just yet.

For me it’s not about bad goal scoring ability, but more about decision making at fast pace. This will be better and I would not be surprised if we get a match soon and this part works out exactly as planned.

Anyhow, very good post. I am behind the OP and obviously also what you say. I am also of the opinion that the Brighton match was not doom and gloom, far from it. The result was sad, but many good things to take from the match.

Wolfbot

Fine being fine but is fine good enough, is that ambition/demand of the fan base, to be fine?
Yeah, I'm pretty shocked with how much the standards are dropping for a lot of fans. We finished third and played in two cup finals last season and suddenly for many what constitutes a good look for us is aiming to beat all the teams outside the top 8, with an acceptance we're likely to lose to any half decent sides.

I get there are injuries, but 20-30 minutes a game of looking semi competent then playing nothing like that for the other 60-70 minutes is unforgiveable.

I want to keep faith, but when what I'm seeing is very occasionally improved football offset by generally not scoring/creating much and conceding loads of goals and chances I can't be anything but disappointed.

jeepers

Just need the Glazers gone to be honest. The issues will stop with them, unless the new owners are exactly the same.

Redstain

Not really sure you can take positives from the way the team have started the season. If anything the manager does have some credibility due to his influence last season showing he can turn the momentum around. Biggest concerns are away form and even with injured players returning to the starting 11 many of them haven't played together so there's a lack of chemistry. I think people are ruing the clubs poor performance down to injury when there's been more than one factor attributing to this.

Chumpsbechumps

Good to see a thread with some balanced common sense.

Im feeling a bit better after that Bayern game. They didn’t give up even if there was some bad stuff in the game. If we had our first squad available we win the return leg.

Not Just that, Hoijlund looks a player, I think he’s gonna be a beast. Even Martial did some ok things which was a surprise.

I got no sense of a team who is not wanting to play for the manager either. I think the team will grow into the season and get better and better.

The Cups will be our best chance of silver wear but if we are honest this was always going to be the case anyway. A league title challange was the absolute best we could of hoped for.

Injuries are just ridiculous and we are getting zero luck with VAR and ref decisions. That’s not even mentioning the off field nonsense that no other manager is trying to manage. All these things add up.

lastly, if I remember correctly the top 5 in the league probably get into CL next season so all is not lost on the league front from that perspective. Yes we need to start winning games but that’s coming. Hopefully Hoijlund gets a full start against Burnley and that , coupled with some easier league and CL games will help us build some momentum.

Telsim

I’m sorry, but I just can’t be on board with losing to good teams and hope that we can just beat the bad teams. There will always be injuries. Brighton had injury issues as well and still tore us apart, limb my limb. Whatever has gone wrong is much deeper than an injury crisis and is not easily swept under the rug.
It's not just that but the players who are supposedly going to turn it around once they become available are decidedly B-list players - Antony, Mount, Amrabat. We are abject, but these are the players that will change that? Yeah, okay.

Mike Smalling

This is gonna come across as excuse making, however that’s really not the intent. But in these last three games, we really have been on the wrong side on some marginal calls.

Vs. Arsenal we may win if Garnacho is not just fractionally offside.
Vs. Brighton the game may turn out differently if Højlunds goal is not overruled.
Vs. Bayern we concede a weak penalty right after getting a goal back.

We probably deserve to lose at least two of those anyway, but we also really haven’t gotten a break.

Strelok

Totally agree with OP. We had bad results recently but we didn't play that bad Brighton match aside. Nothing to panic here just a bad time with many key players injured/absent and good opponents. ETH would get sacked only if we're nowhere near the top 4 by Dec. Plenty of time till then with our key players returning & weaker opponents.

Redstain

It's not just that but the players who are supposedly going to turn it around once they become available are decidedly B-list players - Antony, Mount, Amrabat. We are abject, but these are the players that will change that? Yeah, okay.
This is also my issue I think a primary problem is when the bad form started last season there was quality acquired to shift the dynamic of the teams capabilities in performances.

I do hope I'm wrong in all honesty but people putting their faith in Mount who's never excelled as an 8, Amrabat who we have no way of assessing his impact and Maino who despite being promising is still a youth player with everything to prove.

It's hard to see where this rejuvenation comes from. Somewhat similar to Liverpool last season but the contrast is they had credible first team players out with injury. It's therefore comprehensible to understand that in a situation of proven players returning, there's more of a factual element outside of hope that injuries actually have a key significance to poor performance. As shown with Liverpool this was indeed the case they found form towards the end of the league campaign last year and their good start this season is a reflection of that.

If the teams performances don't improve from a tactical standpoint can't see returning players making the change. The manager still has to figure out how to utilize this teams strongest 11 so there's experimentation in there as well. With how relentless this league is it's hard work with all those factors combined.

Abhinav

Seriously though. We are decimated with injuries. Most of these will shortly pass (barring the fullback ones, so please for the love of god stay fit Reguillon and Dalot). We all know Eriksen can't play at a high level in midfield for 90 minutes, let alone in successive games.... let alone in successive games away to Bayern. Ten Hag knows this too, and bought 2 new midfielders to address this. They are probably back this weekend. There's no use freaking out over an issue that is literally only an issue because of shite injury luck.

The game against Brighton was extremely bad. But it was a one off in the grand scheme of things. It was a one off in that the Brighton game was a bad tactical plan where Ten Hag didn't adapt at all to the opposition. That had me worried, but only worried if Ten Hag didn't see the issues quickly and persisted with it. Nothing wrong with trying a new thing when you have absences. We quickly reverted back to a normal formation and it brought a better performance, albeit still a defeat. But an understandable defeat. Bayern are one of the top 3 favourites for the CL, and I am pretty confident that we'll give them a good game at home (if that game even has any relevance at that point, as I'm guessing both clubs will be qualified by then) as we will have actual midfield options to put next to Casemiro. On the topic of Casemiro... yes, he's older. But there is still a quality player in there. It's not easy to play next to a complete 0 off the ball like Eriksen, especially not against Bayern. Put Amrabat next to him and literally that issue is solved.

It's been a shit start to the season, the amount of off the pitch issues and distractions have obviously impacted morale around the club, and then we've had a couple of nightmare fixtures to contend with while we are dealing with our morale at rock bottom plus a nightmare (and fluke) injury list. We now have a good run of 7 much lighter fixtures, which happens to coincide with our 2 new midfield signings who are also our youngest senior midfielders being available for selection. Let's give everyone a chance here.

In terms of positives, I'd say there are plenty of positives. Dalot has looked good this season. Reguillon looks excellent on the left and is giving our attack a new dimension with his overlapping. Hojlund is night and day from what we had up top last season and he will both score plenty, and facilitate the others scoring more. Signs of a partnership with Rashford and Hojlund which should only grow. People are freaking out about Onana but I'm also pretty comfortable with him to be honest. Hard period for everyone to stay focused but he'll get past it and be fine.

Now of course, we need to see progress, performances and results. I'm sure we will, but given the context of the injury crisis we are dealing with, it's understandable that it'll take a bit of time to get there. I'm looking forward to the Burnley game, rebuild our confidence and mental state over the next few weeks and then hopefully approach the City game as a completely different team.
While I understand and acknowledge the extenuating circumstances, losing 4 games in 6 is never fine for a club like Manchester United. The next 7 games are crucial in defining the season and maybe even EtH’s future. We need to find a way to win, even if its ugly. Anything other than 10 points from the next 4 PL, and 2 wins at home in the CL will create a lot of noise and pressure for EtH going into the City game.

Last edited:

lex talionis

“Unbeaten” is quite a different thing from winning 7 straight. It’s not hard to see us dragged into a string of several draws from those 7 matches.

But on the broader point on whether to panic or not, this is shaping up to be a good season for us to pay more attention to family and friends, perhaps take up a hobby, maybe even spend more time in the gym and read sone good books. But definitely don’t panic.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
  • Burnley away
  • Palace home (cup)
  • Palace home
  • Galatasaray home
  • Brentford home
  • Sheffield Utd Away
  • Kobenhavn home
  • City home
Agree. Genuinely think we will go on a great run up until that City game and look a completely different team. I was briefly concerned with the Brighton game, but fine after today. Clubs go through shit runs, especially show when you combine off the pitch issues with an injury crisis & a shit run of fixtures. We've had all of those in this period. With Amrabat and Mount returning this weekend I think and Varane shortly, the midfield will look rejuvenated, we can rotate our center backs a bit, and in general we'll be fine. Especially with the bounce back mentality that I think we'll show now. Wouldn't surprise me if we win them all before City and then give them a good game.
Depends what effect returning players have on the first 11 (Mount/Amrabat/Varane) but I think the palace games and Brentford games will be difficult, and I think Galatasaray will be hard too. Not sure we can win all 7.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Depends what effect returning players have on the first 11 (Mount/Amrabat/Varane) but I think the palace games and Brentford games will be difficult, and I think Galatasaray will be hard too. Not sure we can win all 7.
Less so Varane imo, of course he is quality but I'm pretty comfortable with Lindelof there. My bigger concern is the midfield, which is only a concern if we have an injury crisis. If Amrabat and Mount are fit to start, then we have depth where we can freshen things up, rotate, adjust based on opponent, give casemiro more support in deeper areas, play an actual deep playmaker who is safe on the ball in terms of press resistance, progresses the ball well, keeps a very high completion percentage, and doesn't hide from the ball. It's long been needed, especially now with some aging midfielders. Casemiro can still be class, but he just needs that bit more cover in there rather than covering for a 0 in Eriksens off the ball contribution.

Levi1

Seriously though. We are decimated with injuries. Most of these will shortly pass (barring the fullback ones, so please for the love of god stay fit Reguillon and Dalot). We all know Eriksen can't play at a high level in midfield for 90 minutes, let alone in successive games.... let alone in successive games away to Bayern. Ten Hag knows this too, and bought 2 new midfielders to address this. They are probably back this weekend. There's no use freaking out over an issue that is literally only an issue because of shite injury luck.

The game against Brighton was extremely bad. But it was a one off in the grand scheme of things. It was a one off in that the Brighton game was a bad tactical plan where Ten Hag didn't adapt at all to the opposition. That had me worried, but only worried if Ten Hag didn't see the issues quickly and persisted with it. Nothing wrong with trying a new thing when you have absences. We quickly reverted back to a normal formation and it brought a better performance, albeit still a defeat. But an understandable defeat. Bayern are one of the top 3 favourites for the CL, and I am pretty confident that we'll give them a good game at home (if that game even has any relevance at that point, as I'm guessing both clubs will be qualified by then) as we will have actual midfield options to put next to Casemiro. On the topic of Casemiro... yes, he's older. But there is still a quality player in there. It's not easy to play next to a complete 0 off the ball like Eriksen, especially not against Bayern. Put Amrabat next to him and literally that issue is solved.

It's been a shit start to the season, the amount of off the pitch issues and distractions have obviously impacted morale around the club, and then we've had a couple of nightmare fixtures to contend with while we are dealing with our morale at rock bottom plus a nightmare (and fluke) injury list. We now have a good run of 7 much lighter fixtures, which happens to coincide with our 2 new midfield signings who are also our youngest senior midfielders being available for selection. Let's give everyone a chance here.

In terms of positives, I'd say there are plenty of positives. Dalot has looked good this season. Reguillon looks excellent on the left and is giving our attack a new dimension with his overlapping. Hojlund is night and day from what we had up top last season and he will both score plenty, and facilitate the others scoring more. Signs of a partnership with Rashford and Hojlund which should only grow. People are freaking out about Onana but I'm also pretty comfortable with him to be honest. Hard period for everyone to stay focused but he'll get past it and be fine.

Now of course, we need to see progress, performances and results. I'm sure we will, but given the context of the injury crisis we are dealing with, it's understandable that it'll take a bit of time to get there. I'm looking forward to the Burnley game, rebuild our confidence and mental state over the next few weeks and then hopefully approach the City game as a completely different team.
I think what you're missing is that it isn't about the results. It's about how far behind we are on and off the pitch. The players have terrible attitudes and it shows (don't care enough to put in the effort in training, don't defend, uncontrolled in their home lives, overpaid etc). That's not something that you can fix in just a season or two. And especially now that it seems like after a run of spending a billion pounds on stupid transfers, the money (or FFP, same thing) has run out, which was really the only thing this club had going for it lately.

Hence the despair. And every season that goes by, the worse it all gets. In a few years' time, if we don't get one of Zidane, Pep or Klopp or another manager who turns out to be really elite, we will be where Liverpool were a couple of years ago.

Crimson King

I think what you're missing is that it isn't about the results. It's about how far behind we are on and off the pitch. The players have terrible attitudes and it shows (don't care enough to put in the effort in training, don't defend, uncontrolled in their home lives, overpaid etc). That's not something that you can fix in just a season or two. And especially now that it seems like after a run of spending a billion pounds on stupid transfers, the money (or FFP, same thing) has run out, which was really the only thing this club had going for it lately.

Hence the despair. And every season that goes by, the worse it all gets. In a few years' time, if we don't get one of Zidane, Pep or Klopp or another manager who turns out to be really elite, we will be where Liverpool were a couple of years ago.
A lot of this will probably depend on whether the Glazers actually sell or not. If they hang on then yeah, it'll get worse before it gets any better.

Crimson King

I'm sure plenty of people have tried to tear this apart already, but I do always appreciate that you try your best to maintain some semblance of positivity on this forum.