Music The origin of "You'll Never Walk Alone" has ZERO relation to Liverpool and football

teteus

Supports
Flamengo
The origin story of the song "You'll Never Walk Alone" has absolutely zero relation to football. It was written by Richard Rodgers/Oscar Hammerstein II (considered one of the greatest songwriting duos in musicals ever, their most famous work is probably The Sound Of Music, which was adapted to a hugely iconic starred by Julie Andrews) for their classic musical "Carousel", which opened on Broadway in April, 1945.

The context in which it was sung in the musical also has zero relation to football (and, as you will see better why in the end of this post, Richard Rodgers HATED its use by Liverpool's supporters). In the context of the musical, the song is sung by the character of Nettie Fowler, the cousin of the protagonist Julie Jordan, to comfort and encourage Julie when her husband, Billy Bigelow, the male lead, falls on his knife and dies after a failed robbery attempt. Below is the version from the first cast recording of the musical, in July 1945:

Though the first recorded version of the song was by Frank Sinatra in May 1945:

Anyway, most of american popular music pre-rock was originally written for Broadway musicals or Hollywood musicals, and then would be recorded by pretty much everyone and played in radios. That was the meat of the great american popular music in the first half of the 20st century and it is collectively known as "Great American Songbook" or also the Golden Age of Pop. And the roles of singer and songwriters generally didn't overlap.

Things remained like this until rock in 50s and 60s dramatically changed the country's culture forever in countless aspects of the arts, the entertainment industry and the society. Musicals, previously the big supply of american popular music and the main focus of the best composers, fell out of fashion. Singer-songwriters became a industry standard (people started to expect and demand their artists to write their own songs), target audience shifted to a younger demographic...

Richard Rodgers is, alongside the likes of Cole Porter, Irving Berlin, Jerome Kern and George Gershwin, one of the greatest songwriters of that entire era of the 1920s until 1950s.

Some of the great songwriters of that period, like Cole Porter, George Gershwin or Harold Arlen, were very enthusiastic about really unique, creative and personal interpretations of their songs. A part of this is because they loved jazz.

Others, though, were far more strict and stern, like Jerome Kern and Richard Rodgers.

Richard Rodgers wanted everyone to sing his songs pretty much exactly as he had written them, as they were originally sung in his musicals. Pretty much no singer escaped from his rage. For example, when he heard Peggy Lee's whiplash version of his waltz "Lover", he said to her, "Why pick on me when you could have f**ked up 'Silent Night'?".

So, if you think that he didn't take well to You'll Never Walk Alone becoming a popular anthem for Liverpool, you're damn right.

When he discovered that his secular hymn was now "some football song" roared out every Saturday afternoon by bazillions of footie fans, his first reaction was one of horror. His second reaction was to call his lawyer and see if there was any way to have it stopped. There wasn't.

Source: https://www.steynonline.com/10257/youll-never-walk-alone

Last edited:

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
I'm forever blowing bubbles originally had nothing to do with West Ham

Dr. StrangeHate

It doesn't matter, the only thing that matters is that it is forever associated with Liverpool now.

Moby

Dick
It's a pretty decent motivational piece if you forget about the absolute swarm of cnuts that sing it. The original version is an alright listen by itself.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Bit of cynicism around but I enjoyed this as I learned something. Thanks for sharing.

Billy Bigelow, the male lead, falls on his knife and dies after a failed robbery attempt

Oof. Is he okay?

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
The origin story of the song "You'll Never Walk Alone" has absolutely zero relation to football. It was written by Richard Rodgers/Oscar Hammerstein II (considered one of the greatest songwriting duos in musicals ever, their most famous work is probably The Sound Of Music, which was adapted to a hugely iconic starred by Julie Andrews) for their classic musical "Carousel", which opened on Broadway in April, 1945.

The context in which it was sung in the musical also has zero relation to football (and, as you will see better why in the end of this post, Richard Rodgers HATED its use by Liverpool's supporters). In the context of the musical, the song is sung by the character of Nettie Fowler, the cousin of the protagonist Julie Jordan, to comfort and encourage Julie when her husband, Billy Bigelow, the male lead, falls on his knife and dies after a failed robbery attempt. Below is the version from the first cast recording of the musical, in July 1945:

Though the first recorded version of the song was by Frank Sinatra in May 1945:

Anyway, most of american popular music pre-rock was originally written for Broadway musicals or Hollywood musicals, and then would be recorded by pretty much everyone and played in radios. That was the meat of the great american popular music in the first half of the 20st century and it is collectively known as "Great American Songbook" or also the Golden Age of Pop. And the roles of singer and songwriters generally didn't overlap.

Things remained like this until rock in 50s and 60s dramatically changed the country's culture forever in countless aspects of the arts, the entertainment industry and the society. Musicals, previously the big supply of american popular music and the main focus of the best composers, fell out of fashion. Singer-songwriters became a industry standard (people started to expect and demand their artists to write their own songs), target audience shifted to a younger demographic...

Richard Rodgers is, alongside the likes of Cole Porter, Irving Berlin, Jerome Kern and George Gershwin, one of the greatest songwriters of that entire era of the 1920s until 1950s.

Some of the great songwriters of that period, like Cole Porter, George Gershwin or Harold Arlen, were very enthusiastic about really unique, creative and personal interpretations of their songs. A part of this is because they loved jazz.

Others, though, were far more strict and stern, like Jerome Kern and Richard Rodgers.

Richard Rodgers wanted everyone to sing his songs pretty much exactly as he had written them, as they were originally sung in his musicals. Pretty much no singer escaped from his rage. For example, when he heard Peggy Lee's whiplash version of his waltz "Lover", he said to her, "Why pick on me when you could have f**ked up 'Silent Night'?".

So, if you think that he didn't take well to You'll Never Walk Alone becoming a popular anthem for Liverpool, you're damn right.

When he discovered that his secular hymn was now "some football song" roared out every Saturday afternoon by bazillions of footie fans, his first reaction was one of horror. His second reaction was to call his lawyer and see if there was any way to have it stopped. There wasn't.

Source: https://www.steynonline.com/10257/youll-never-walk-alone
I think you underestimate what people know about YAWN over here. :D And while you're at it, you might also add that it was first sung by supporters across England, not just in Liverpool, as fans used to sign popular pop songs on the terraces at the time. (For example, there's footage of supporters singing songs from The Beatles.)

teteus

Supports
Flamengo
Did anyone ever claim otherwise?
Maybe not everyone knows. Besides, I go into great detail about the song's origin and the context of american popular music when it was composed. I also posted the first recorded versions of the song, by Frank Sinatra and, one month later, from the cast recording of the musical Carousel.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
What teams used it first?
Think i've heard that Leeds, Celtic and... eh..QPR(?) have used it before, and i even think i've heard/read United being mentioned.
Anyone more clued up than me?

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Next you'll be telling me that Celtic didn't write it during an extended half time against one of their billion yearly matches versus Rangers.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
Next you'll be telling me that Celtic didn't write it during an extended half time against one of their billion yearly matches versus Rangers.
Elvis recorded his version after attending his first Old Firm game. He got lost whilst trawling the chip shops for deep fried food, and as they say the rest is history:

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Elvis recorded his version after attending his first Old Firm game. He got lost whilst trawling the chip shops for deep fried food, and as they say the rest is history:

I like to think he watched the game, saw a bunch of folk clattering into one another and thought "so it's ice hockey without pads or...well, ice. fecking love a kebab right now."

teteus

Supports
Flamengo

It doesn't matter, the only thing that matters is that it is forever associated with Liverpool now.
Elvis' version is a classic! Let's not forget that even to this day, You'll Never Walk Alone is still a classic anthem that is popular around the world and sung in many contexts beyond Liverpool and football.

It's a pretty decent motivational piece if you forget about the absolute swarm of cnuts that sing it. The original version is an alright listen by itself.

Frank Sinatra, who had the earliest recorded version of the song, in May 1945, also made a new recording of it in 1963, but I think it pales to his 1945 version. What do you guys think?

1945:

1963: