Television The Orville (FOX)

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Not an outright comedy show or a parody. I like that.

The pilot wasn't too bad either. They need to gel, some awkward pauses during talking between characters, or it felt like that to me.

Dante

Average bang
I enjoyed the first episode. I've got high hopes for this. Thankfully, McFarlance hasn't made it too zany.

Dante

Average bang
Just watched episode 3.

It's not really a comedy. They've pitched it primarily as a sci-fi show, but a very light one. I don't think there's enough of either aspect to hold my interest too much longer.

parkthebuslads

Ambitiously it's both an unfunny comedy and a poor mans star trek. As a ST fan, it has a certain novelty to it but I can see that wearing thin fast. My biggest compliment would probably be for their boldness in ripping off an IP.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Like an episode that came out of TNG. Of course, both Picard and Riker wouldn't go investigate a ship, that's just common sense, and wouldn't go actively seeking contact with indigenous population due to prime directive. Though, maybe Orville's Union is that much cooler about that.

Very Star Treky, much more than STD. And much more serious than what I thought it would be.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
It’s a really weird one, isn’t it? It basically is old Star Trek. So much so that I’m almost surprised they got away with it. The music in particular is flagrant. McFarlane’s pitch seems to have been “I always wanted to be Captain Kirk. Can I be Captain Kirk please? I’ve made you lots of money and now I want to be Captain Kirk.”

As others have said, it isn’t really very funny, and mostly isn’t even trying to be. It’s literally just trying to be Star Trek, but with enough occasional wacky asides to technically make it a comedy. Which of course also gives it an easy “out” when some drama or bit of hard Sci Fi doesn’t land.

It’s not bad though, it’s just... Star Trek with a couple of jokes in it. It fills a gap I suppose.

Last edited:

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
I've been deliberately steering clear of Orville after seeing the trailer and getting a few reviews from friends.
If you liked TNG, you'll like this. I don't remember much the trailer now, but do believe it painted the show as a comedy, it's not though. Maybe first two-three episodes weren't spectacular, but it became quite good with the fourth.

As for jokes, some work, some do not, I'd say most do though...Bortus with his deadpan delivery always does for instance. And it's not Family Guy/Ted types of jokes either.

STD is on hiatus anyway, catch these up in the mean time, I believe they are even free. :cool:

Raoul

Admin
Staff
If you liked TNG, you'll like this. I don't remember much the trailer now, but do believe it painted the show as a comedy, it's not though. Maybe first two-three episodes weren't spectacular, but it became quite good with the fourth.

As for jokes, some work, some do not, I'd say most do though...Bortus with his deadpan delivery always does for instance. And it's not Family Guy/Ted types of jokes either.

STD is on hiatus anyway, catch these up in the mean time, I believe they are even free. :cool:
I'll check out an episode. I just remember hating the jokes in the Star Trek movies in the 80s and 90s because they kept writing in contemporary jokes which sort of ruined the sci-fi aspect of the story.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
When are they on in the UK damnit

I'm rewatching Voyager on netflix :nervous:

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
I'll check out an episode. I just remember hating the jokes in the Star Trek movies in the 80s and 90s because they kept writing in contemporary jokes which sort of ruined the sci-fi aspect of the story.
Ah, there are some of those in The Orville as well have to say, and I'm not a fan of those either, pop culture referencing and such. But didn't ruin the enjoyment too much. ;)

alsabi

When are they on in the UK damnit

I'm rewatching Voyager on netflix :nervous:
Voyager has my favourite intro sequence in Trek! It was just the 45-odd minutes after that that could be problematic :) Anyway, 'The Orville' is due to air in the UK starting on the 14th of December.

rcoobc

Voyager has my favourite intro sequence in Trek! It was just the 45-odd minutes after that that could be problematic :) Anyway, 'The Orville' is due to air in the UK starting on the 14th of December.
Yes! It's so beautiful. Such a fantastic score.

TNG and TOS are obviously more iconic... but Voyager was more beautiful!

I actually quite like Enterprises opening too... it doesn't suit Star Trek at all... kinda reminds me of Smallville...

But the building of the ISS, followed by seeing some star trek ships and then Enterprise... love it.

rcoobc

Also, Voyager after the first few eps doesnt seem to have aged that badly.

The whole crew is full of quite weak characters, Janeway and Tuvok especially, Harris and Harry Kim pretty bad as well.

But still, not that bad

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Yes! It's so beautiful. Such a fantastic score.

TNG and TOS are obviously more iconic... but Voyager was more beautiful!

I actually quite like Enterprises opening too... it doesn't suit Star Trek at all... kinda reminds me of Smallville...

But the building of the ISS, followed by seeing some star trek ships and then Enterprise... love it.
Love Enterprise these days. The characters are great - iconic Captain, great Vulcan 1st officer, quirky engineer, interesting medical officer. Not quite as strong as TNG, which imo had the best casting, characters, and writing - but Enterprise is not far behind. The set decoration (dark moody bridge), plotlines (the expanse, Xindi, Suliban, crewman Daniels etc). Even the way the ship looks when its orbiting a planet looks great. They don't try to impress the audience with effects, just great characters and plot lines.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
I came into this, wanting to like it. I don't. It's so stupid.
Similar. I keep waiting for each scene to descend into outright parody of sci fi shows but somehow resists. I like it much better than the actual Trek show Discovery which takes itself far too seriously and not at all like Roddenberry intended

The Hilton

Surprised this isn't being talked about more. Far from the parody I expected it to be, it's a loving homage to Star Trek of old, the jokes and humour fit brilliantly within the universe, with the odd silly joke thrown in.

Have recommended it to multiple people, some trekkies and some not, and gotten entirely positive feedback about it.

As mentioned above, it's far more Star Trek than any of the recent "die hard in space" stuff. Definitely worth a watch.

Eriku

Surprised this isn't being talked about more. Far from the parody I expected it to be, it's a loving homage to Star Trek of old, the jokes and humour fit brilliantly within the universe, with the odd silly joke thrown in.

Have recommended it to multiple people, some trekkies and some not, and gotten entirely positive feedback about it.

As mentioned above, it's far more Star Trek than any of the recent "die hard in space" stuff. Definitely worth a watch.
Totally agree. I love it.

MarylandMUFan

This has really surprised me. I was looking forward to a good comedy, somewhat paying tribute and somewhat mocking Star Trek. It didn't take long for me to say "whoa, that was darker than I thought it was going to be". I am really enjoying it.

OneUnited24

I've been steering clear of it but this post has convinced me... I mean it cant be worse than STD

squiggle

Supports
Ligue 1, Arsenal

I haven't enjoyed much of what Seth MacFarlane has done before, which put me off, but I keep hearing how good this is so I'm giving it a go.

It sounds like it has something of the the original and the Next Generation. I think it was the hopefulness and the combination of movement through space and stillness within the Enterprise that I found so satisfying.

The Hilton

I haven't enjoyed much of what Seth MacFarlane has done before, which put me off, but I keep hearing how good this is so I'm giving it a go.

It sounds like it has something of the the original and the Next Generation. I think it was the hopefulness and the combination of movement through space and stillness within the Enterprise that I found so satisfying.
I'd say it's somewhere between TNG and TOS, with a sprinkling of Voyager.

I'm split down the middle on MacFarlane - in my book he's done some great stuff and some terrible stuff, but this is easily my favourite of his work by some distance.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
I watched the first couple of eps. I am enjoying it although some of the humour is a bit much.

Mal donaghy

Used to be a Seth McFarland fan, but this Orville is awfull !!
Like family guy is getting tiresome it might be that Seth is so successful he has dropped standards a wee bit , or it may just be me, I don’t know!
Anyhow yeah Orville is crap

Amir

I'm a few episodes into it and struggling to understand what it is. It's like a geek creator who loves Star Trek and wanted to be a TV captain, created some sort of light hearted Star Trek copy, but doesn't try to be funny for the most part.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
I'm a few episodes into it and struggling to understand what it is. It's like a geek creator who loves Star Trek and wanted to be a TV captain, created some sort of light hearted Star Trek copy, but doesn't try to be funny for the most part.
That's exactly what it is. Not sure if its deliberately supposed to be, chances are what else can it be? I'm enjoying it for what it is rather than trying to understand what it is trying to be. Will be watching series two if/when its out.

DouLou

Been caught pooping
I gave this an honest attempt but it's not for me. The critics obviously underestimated the market for a Sci-Fi that, through emulating an older style of TV, invokes enough nostalgia to be rather successful. I just think the seriousness and comedy aren't mixing properly, the characters are mostly dull and the format of the show kinda irks me. I get it wants to take social issues and put them in another context to get a point across, but really, it's not what I want from a show. Something like Firefly is infinitely superior to this. Better writing, merges drama and comedy, interesting plots/characters... yeah, just didn't like this one!