The Overlap - City charges and football traitors

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I saw there's several threads on the various Overlap episodes but none on this one specifically

The whole football traitors part isn't very interesting to me, but the part from 33' onwards is interested. The levels of delusion of that City fan and the regurgited PR is are astounding to behold. Also, for the usual suspects of faux-naïveté, it's a nice example of sports washing in play.

Scholesgoals

Yeah, i agree it really stood out to me as a brilliant example of leveraging one person's love for the club, making him feel like he is "an insider" and then brainwashing him with rhetoric enough to cloud his judgement to truly believe that City are more of a cultural phenomenon than the likes of real madrid, united, barca etc...

It's likely because the guy wants the statements to be true, because it strengthens his own esteem, and Jamie cottoned on to that "it sounds like you've got an insider insight"

And then the no true scotsman appeal of "what kind of football fan would i be if i didnt back the chairmen" and then the reductio ad absurdum "it depends on the severity of the charges, there's ones in there about grass length" (ignoring that the main thrust of the investigation is about much more serious matter)

Gary falls for it but Jamie sees through it saying you cant bring in more revenue than madrid, and then the guy tries to play the appeal to sympathy, before finally revealing the truth - that its a sports washing ventures to sports wash middle east companies with appalling human rights records. It's a shame they cut away after the united fan called him out on it

RuudTom83

Yeah that City fan came across as a company man City had sent in...once he started saying he felt like he had a 'target on his back' and that he was on the 'frontlines' I couldn't take him serious.

I'm half expecting to see him sat with Pep in the next press conference to take questions. Deluded fool :houllier:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Saw this some time back. The City fan was allowed to spout absolute nonsense with the only person to respond being Adam who is as articulate as a wooden plank. “I choose to trust my club” Moron :lol:

Rooney in Paris

Scout
Yeah, i agree it really stood out to me as a brilliant example of leveraging one person's love for the club, making him feel like he is "an insider" and then brainwashing him with rhetoric enough to cloud his judgement to truly believe that City are more of a cultural phenomenon than the likes of real madrid, united, barca etc...

It's likely because the guy wants the statements to be true, because it strengthens his own esteem, and Jamie cottoned on to that "it sounds like you've got an insider insight"

And then the no true scotsman appeal of "what kind of football fan would i be if i didnt back the chairmen" and then the reductio ad absurdum "it depends on the severity of the charges, there's ones in there about grass length" (ignoring that the main thrust of the investigation is about much more serious matter)

Gary falls for it but Jamie sees through it saying you cant bring in more revenue than madrid, and then the guy tries to play the appeal to sympathy, before finally revealing the truth - that its a sports washing ventures to sports wash middle east companies with appalling human rights records. It's a shame they cut away after the united fan called him out on it
The bolded is spot on.

The grass length bit is a mistake btw - when the details of the charges were released, certain idiots (such as this guy) went to the rule book of the current season, but the details on each charge related to the rule book of the season it was about (which made sense) and are all about financial infringements. They tried to turn it into absurdity and the grass length one has stayed on, but it's just an example of people blindly ignoring facts, really.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
Saw this some time back. The City fan was allowed to spout absolute nonsense with the only person to respond being Adam who is as articulate as a wooden plank. “I choose to trust my club” Moron :lol:
"What kind of supporter would I be if I didn't trust my chairman?" has to be one of the weakest, stupidest points ever made.

Imagine a Utd fan saying that about Woodward for 10 years :lol:

Scholesgoals

The bolded is spot on.

The grass length bit is a mistake btw - when the details of the charges were released, certain idiots (such as this guy) went to the rule book of the current season, but the details on each charge related to the rule book of the season it was about (which made sense) and are all about financial infringements. They tried to turn it into absurdity and the grass length one has stayed on, but it's just an example of people blindly ignoring facts, really.
It sounds like more of a deliberate attempt to deflect and downplay what is a brazen attempt to corrupt the system by circumventing the rules. I feel really sorry for that people like that city fan, because its clear that man city is his big love and what can you do when they come in and poison the club by changing it into something it isnt. You either walk away from something you love or double down. It's happening widely in top flight football, and we're no exception with those fecking parasites, and its such a shame that people commodify these cultural institutions because fans will pay.

Its like when danaerys brought back khal drogo but he was an empty husk

Rooney in Paris

Scout
It sounds like more of a deliberate attempt to deflect and downplay what is a brazen attempt to corrupt the system by circumventing the rules. I feel really sorry for that people like that city fan, because its clear that man city is his big love and what can you do when they come in and poison the club by changing it into something it isnt. You either walk away from something you love or double down. It's happening widely in top flight football, and we're no exception with those fecking parasites, and its such a shame that people commodify these cultural institutions because fans will pay.
I don't - they're mostly adults, capable of critical thinking, and you could easily take the stance "yeah I love the club, I'm enjoying the football, but I'm also aware that there's probably something fishy going on here and I'm not going to blindly believe the club's PR". There's a few such City fans that post on here.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty

It must require a fair amount of double-think to be a City fan these days, at least one that followed the club before the takeover.

Through the 90s and 00s (possibly before) pretty much their entire identity was pinned on not being Manchester United. More specifically, their identity was pinned on not being a plastic club with plastic fans, that bought and cheated their way to success (which is what they portrayed us as). Then they were bought out, and became a plastic club with plastic (seats for) fans that bought and cheated their way to success.

The only ways to deal with that are to walk away, or to try and convince yourself that it's not the case.

Even if you disregard the 115 elephants in the room, no one sane would actually argue that their huge spending hasn't played a massive part in propelling them from (at best) mid-table also rans to the most dominant side in the country, but City fans are constantly making weird arguments about the "cartel" of top clubs trying to keep them down with FFP, FA/Premier League and UEFA level conspiracies to stop them being on top, and are frequently, incredibly insecure about fans/ex-players of other clubs not liking them. They know that all of the success is completely hollow, which is why they're so desperate to get approval and plaudits from everyone else in an attempt to legitimise it.

TenonTen

Supports
Neutral
That bald City fan is so brainwashed and deluded. How on Earth can someone believe that Man City get more organic revenue than Real Madrid is truly beyond me?!

Good that Jamie called him out.

Gary as usual was a bit too nice to City here.

Disgusting state funded sportwashing exercise with 115 breaches.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Just watched the segment in question and my god is that guy on some City PR bullshit.

The double-think was on full show, especially when Carragher specifically pointed to the revenue thing.

"No, I don't believe we've got a higher revenue than Real Madrid but I trust my chairman that nothing dodgy is going on despite him reporting that we've got a revenue higher than Real Madrid because we've got a club in India called City too."

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
He doesn't care, he's having a best time in his life ! All he wants is that one last dopamine hit keep flowing, before multiple verdicts on multiple charges.

Who needs club's short history destroyed, when you have altered states of reality.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
He doesn't care, he's having a best time in his life ! All he wants is that one last dopamine hit keep flowing, before multiple verdicts on multiple charges.

Who needs club's short history destroyed, when you have altered states of reality.
I think on the contrary he cares a lot. He's quite clearly very invested. When the camera pans out to the whole panel after he's been on his rant, and after he's been checked by the Utd guy and Carragher, he looks dismayed.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
I think on the contrary he cares a lot. He's quite clearly very invested. When the camera pans out to the whole panel after he's been on his rant, and after he's been checked by the Utd guy and Carragher, he looks dismayed.
Just catched that cam shot near 43th minute when he keeps his head down for a bit. This is tough.

Maybe that's why Neville is playing it cool and trying not to escalate things, already tense. I remember him having an interview with Dele Alli not so long ago, and Nev was acting like a legit TV pro. Really good at it.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
That City Fan… what an absolute lunatic! Feel sorry for him and pity him. Clearly loves the club but he’s as dumb as he looks. He doesn’t even know what sportswashing is. Dumb feck.

Jesus Christ he’s dumb. “I’m on the front line”. Twat.

“The Premier League has ruined the transfer window” Gonad

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
Maybe I'm baised but they are unable to be critical of Southgate's link to united.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
Yeah I liked the episode but the whole Southgate part was a bit ludicrous. There's a massive love-in for the guy that I don't get, and there was no real discussion about his credentials - Wrighty literally said he could imagine him on the sidelines in his suit, and would probably look better than Ten Hag in his turtlenecks (what an incredibly bizarre way of thinking).

I liked the Behind the scenes part at the beginning where they were ripping on Gary about right back being the easiest position to play :lol:

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
Yeah I liked the episode but the whole Southgate part was a bit ludicrous. There's a massive love-in for the guy that I don't get, and there was no real discussion about his credentials - Wrighty literally said he could imagine him on the sidelines in his suit, and would probably look better than Ten Hag in his turtlenecks (what an incredibly bizarre way of thinking).

I liked the Behind the scenes part at the beginning where they were ripping on Gary about right back being the easiest position to play :lol:
Basically another way of saying, "I can't think of a reason why he's more qualified but I also can't say he isn't, for fear of backlash". :lol:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Maybe I'm baised but they are unable to be critical of Southgate's link to united.
Keane is a funny guy in that he'll be brutal beyond belief with most things and people but has very obvious blind spots.

Ole was one, where he'd refuse to criticise him despite being out of his depth
And oddly Southgate is another of his mates who he has a soft spot for. Not sure how that relationship developed.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
That City fan should go read the Der Spiegel articles the massive arrogant cnut. They are guilty as feck.

SER19

That bald City fan is so brainwashed and deluded. How on Earth can someone believe that Man City get more organic revenue than Real Madrid is truly beyond me?!

Good that Jamie called him out.

Gary as usual was a bit too nice to City here.

Disgusting state funded sportwashing exercise with 115 breaches.
Neville has absolutely no credibility on any of it. He's either a coward, or worried about his manchester businesses and his relationship with the Sheikh. It undermines him completely to me. Cant shut up about anything, but on this he's mister moderate.

SER19

city fan is pathetic. if he thinks the current media wank fest about city, and the never ending praise and adulation, is them being condemned and undermined, then he has a victim complex like no other.

tomaldinho1

The cynical part of me thinks they just know it will rile up the United fanbase and create interactions = more money for them.

Withnail

I saw there's several threads on the various Overlap episodes but none on this one specifically

The whole football traitors part isn't very interesting to me, but the part from 33' onwards is interested. The levels of delusion of that City fan and the regurgited PR is are astounding to behold. Also, for the usual suspects of faux-naïveté, it's a nice example of sports washing in play.
Jaysus!! Has that bloke ever heard of a conflict of interest ffs :lol:

Also charges about the length of the grass and size of the physio room? Yeah mate we've all read about those charges.