The Overlap - Ole Gunnar Solskjaer

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Good on Ole, looking forward to this

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Hope he rips into the squad. :lol:

The Rooney episode was disappointing, so hopefully this is better. I really enjoy the show.

GregM40

Can’t wait for this. Loving these episodes lately, the European football one was class.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
My boy! :drool:

“So yeah that’s the name generator. Basically it takes your first and last name, drops your first name and then adds a y to the end of your last name and hey presto there’s your nickname”

Ole'sgunnarwin

AI does some very realistic fake images. But that real image damn looks fake.

Guys a legend, looking forward to it

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Think he's too nice of a guy to give us anything juicy :lol:
The juiciest things he said were that the club went against him on signing Haaland and with the benefit of hindsight, he wished Ronaldo had gone somewhere else under his management. Also said we could have gotten top 4 had he not been sacked.

saivet

Just listening now and I agree with Ole that the onus was on the team and club to progress away from predominantly counters and to a more dominant style of play. I suppose the issue is he probably shouldn't have been the coach for that and the club was not set up to facilitate that properly either.

NotChatGPT

Brownfinger
The juiciest things he said were that the club went against him on signing Haaland and with the benefit of hindsight, he wished Ronaldo had gone somewhere else under his management. Also said we could have gotten top 4 had he not been sacked.
I think people fail to understand that Haaland&co were never interested in going directly to a big club too soon. It was never on the cards. Dortmund gave them the dream deal, no big clubs would have agreed to such terms

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I think people fail to understand that Haaland&co were never interested in going directly to a big club too soon. It was never on the cards. Dortmund gave them the dream deal, no big clubs would have agreed to such terms
Yep, and being advised by Raiola (& his dad)....they mapped out that career path to the tee, using each club as a stepping stone to the next (I'll even include City in that, as he'll probably end up at one of the big 2 in Spain at some point - assuming Barca get their finances sorted etc.).

Also, isn't he on an astronomical salary at City? Not to mention the sign-on fees his dad and Raiola's agency pocketed out of his transfer to City.

Still, would have been interesting to see if Ole could have convinced him. From what I recall, he played under Ole at Molde?

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
"For me, it was the right decision, but it didn't turn out to be the right decision."

Eh?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Its pretty evident that the club is poorly led. Ratcliffe said that, The Glazers kind of admit it (else SJR wouldn't say it else it breaks the 'we don't speak badly about one another' clause) and the fans (apart from the ever shrinking Murtough fanboys) knew about it all along. However there's plenty of PR going on trying to rehabilitate Ole's managerial career. That's not criticism perse, after all, the guy is still too young to retire, his career at United left him bruised big time and just because someone failed at a very disfunctional Man United that doesn't mean he's not manager's material.

All I can say about it is two things. Yes Ole was a better manager then his United's experience portrayed him to be however any decent manager worth his while would immediately notice what was going on at the club and stir away from it. That's what the likes of Pep and Klopp did and why we went for 2 managers who were already at the dusk of their career (Mou and LVG) + two managers who weren't good enough for the job in the first place (Ole and Moyes). Its also undeniable that Manchester United was not Ole's only experience in the EPL and that he left a squad with a very poor disciplinary record behind

Lee565

If there was ever a lesson to be learned from stop signing ageing high profile players, this was it, this one signing had such a detrimental effect to what in fairness to ole was looking like a club going back in the right direction but he was completely undermined in his 3rd season by ronaldo ego and he may not say it publicly but fergie as well with that infamous clip of fergie saying ole should not have subbed ronaldo in a specific game (think it was everton)

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Confirmed my suspicions of how things fell apart in those last few months. You could tell at the time that he wanted to transition us from a counter attacking team that finished 3rd and 2nd to a team that dominated games and had more control. It was the right idea but the wrong execution in terms of the players we signed. When you spend big money on Ronaldo, Sancho and Varane in one window and they're not willing to work hard during difficult moments in games, then you know it's the beginning of the end.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I was watching Italian TV the day we signed Ronaldo. There was some very reputable Serie A experts there and they were literally ripping us to shreds. The genuinely believed that spending 12m (who was decent money at the time) for an 18 year old boy was madness. Ronaldo was being described as a tall and skinny kid, with good technique but zero football brains who would dribble himself to the corner flag. Few years later those same people were saying how stupid Serie A clubs were not to invest on such talent.

Haaland was a more of a finished product that young Ronaldo was and United in its prime would have signed him irrespective of the money. The only issue with Haaland which might have been a deal breaker was Raiola.

AFC NimbleThumb

“Jude was in the building, we sold it to him”

Well obviously not.

“He knew what he wanted.”

Well what’s the point having him in the building if you’re unable to change his mind?

I said it at the time & I will say it again. We should have moved heaven & earth for that boy.

Ole Gunnar Wenger, the nearly man.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
Ole is never going to throw Ronaldo under the bus publicly. It is clear that the signing was a mistake, but it's impossible to admit this without insulting Ronaldo in the process. So we will keep getting these vague, oddly phrased sentences until the end of time. Unless Ole becomes cranky when he gets older, which I don't see happening :lol:

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine

Betson

According to Ole we could have had Haaland for 20M before any other club had him on their radar but the club said no they were not interested as they had other options they were looking at , we would have probably turned him to shit anyway.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Ole was class throughout. I didn't rate him as a coach and was extremely critical in my words. But I take no happiness doing so because he's a likeable guy, a legend of the club and always presents himself with honesty.

Good to see him on the Overlap.