The Overlap | Best Prem Boss, United Vs City & Shock England Squad | Stick to Football EP 31

Natener

Yeah, that was a good one too.

I don't think Rooney is a necessary addition or we need so many of them sitting there. (Plus, Rooney's hat annoyed me for some reason). Although, I have had to at times do rewinds in order to understand what Cara says, he has a lot of knowledge and asks much smarter questions.
You’re not alone. I found it an eyesore, which is weird because Wright always wear a hat but it never stood out to me.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Enjoyed that. Cole always comes across really well and I miss watching him play. Great player

chomsky89

Is it fairly accurate to say that Cole was very good at getting chances, but also needed those "extra chances" and that is why despite solid numbers you always hear about him being a bit wasteful?

Nico87

Depending on how old you are quickly Kevin is a podcast that covers all sorts from the 90s. A great listen imo.
This is probably my favourite podcast. Sadly wrapping up next week although one of the hosts ( Chris Scull) is going to do a 00’s equivalent, funniest I’ve ever found Josh Widdicombe. The critical analysis of the Steve Bruce penned football manager/detective books are brilliant.

Big Andy

Bloke
Agreed! I think Wrighty is probably my favourite personality out of any retired footballer! Truly a class act. Cole is up there to, so brilliant episode all round.
Mad really as I used to hate him as a player, but he’s a sound guy and a great pundit

youngrell

Really liked his comments on Hojlund. Hopefully Rasmus was listening and can take the advice on board as I completely agree with what Cole said.

pacifictheme

This is probably my favourite podcast. Sadly wrapping up next week although one of the hosts ( Chris Scull) is going to do a 00’s equivalent, funniest I’ve ever found Josh Widdicombe. The critical analysis of the Steve Bruce penned football manager/detective books are brilliant.
Yeah I agree. Luckily it will stay up though, will certainly listen to the new one too.

Did you ever pay for patron? I am tempted as I never have.

T_Model101

Did they ask him about how he got on with Cantona?
I can't believe how I never watched this before, such a good show

Nico87

Yeah I agree. Luckily it will stay up though, will certainly listen to the new one too.

Did you ever pay for patron? I am tempted as I never have.
I couldn’t find it on patreon. I think they’re now exclusive to another slice which I don’t want to sign up for just for this as I’ve listened to all the episodes anyway. I think there is probably only about ten episodes max that haven’t been uploaded for free.

If the new podcast is good I may be tempted as i think they said you get access to the back log of this and I will probably cycle back through them at some point.

pacifictheme

I couldn’t find it on patreon. I think they’re now exclusive to another slice which I don’t want to sign up for just for this as I’ve listened to all the episodes anyway. I think there is probably only about ten episodes max that haven’t been uploaded for free.

If the new podcast is good I may be tempted as i think they said you get access to the back log of this and I will probably cycle back through them at some point.
It's on another slice(?).

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
This was brilliant. I wonder if United fans watching these guys trade stories about the 90s and 00s and get a little bit depressed with how far away they are from that level? Listening to Neville and Keane talk about those early class of 92 years and how high the standards were for literally anyone coming into the team, the youth set up etc.
It has its place but does get a bit wearing hearing it the whole time.
We get it, everyone had a great attitude and won loads.
We know it, we don't need to keep hearing it every week.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Is it fairly accurate to say that Cole was very good at getting chances, but also needed those "extra chances" and that is why despite solid numbers you always hear about him being a bit wasteful?
It's hard to say. When you look at Cole's goals, they are so vast in terms of array of finishes that it might be fairer to say he didn't hone any one manner or area of the pitch to score in - he didn't come alive just here or there, like so many other strikers, rather, he made something out of very little very, very often and made situations that weren't live for others his personal playground, which is why he's revered for his movement and creating chances that literally weren't on for most other forwards. I feel that strikers who can make something out of nothing also earn the right to miss, more so than when the ball is put on a plate and is flubbed.

He might mirror Cavani in some ways in that Cavani had the insane, clinical, goalscoring run at Napoli (see Newcastle) before rounding out at bigger clubs with off the ball running that was on a different level to others were he became a bit of a meme for his misses despite it being his literal best in the world movement generating the scoring opportunity in the first place. Both players had a massive range of shot selections, instead of signature finishes and that might be seen as detrimental because they weren't particularly primed for that sniper-like finishing others had through repetition of the same actions game after game after game. Both proved at their stepping stone clubs that they could be just as clinical as others, but the scope of their game at the bigger clubs was decidedly more than that of other forwards so finishing in and of itself took a hit.

Cole said himself that he would work to be what his teams needed him to be and would follow the instruction of his manager and I think if SAF had wanted him to remain a lethal penalty box forward that he came to the club as, there'd never have been any talk about his profligacy in front of goal because it wouldn't have been a thing, but working on so much more than what he was as that pure, box-striker, affected his finishing because he was not running the same repetitious drills like he had become accustomed to at his former club.

You don't get off the ball running to that pedigree alongside supreme finishing in strikers very often, in fact, it's more moving into the all-time realm rather than the simply world class - if Cole had that insane movement to go with insane finishing, he'd be compared to the likes of Van Basten or Romario, not peers of the PL.

Oranges038

Enjoyed that. Cole was an excellent striker, he scored the goal that won the league in 99, every bit as important as Ole's CL final goal.

Still calls Roy skip, shows the respect between the two.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
It's hard to say. When you look at Cole's goals, they are so vast in terms of array of finishes that it might be fairer to say he didn't hone any one manner or area of the pitch to score in - he didn't come alive just here or there, like so many other strikers, rather, he made something out of very little very, very often and made situations that weren't live for others his personal playground, which is why he's revered for his movement and creating chances that literally weren't on for most other forwards. I feel that strikers who can make something out of nothing also earn the right to miss, more so than when the ball is put on a plate and is flubbed.

He might mirror Cavani in some ways in that Cavani had the insane, clinical, goalscoring run at Napoli (see Newcastle) before rounding out at bigger clubs with off the ball running that was on a different level to others were he became a bit of a meme for his misses despite it being his literal best in the world movement generating the scoring opportunity in the first place. Both players had a massive range of shot selections, instead of signature finishes and that might be seen as detrimental because they weren't particularly primed for that sniper-like finishing others had through repetition of the same actions game after game after game. Both proved at their stepping stone clubs that they could be just as clinical as others, but the scope of their game at the bigger clubs was decidedly more than that of other forwards so finishing in and of itself took a hit.

Cole said himself that he would work to be what his teams needed him to be and would follow the instruction of his manager and I think if SAF had wanted him to remain a lethal penalty box forward that he came to the club as, there'd never have been any talk about his profligacy in front of goal because it wouldn't have been a thing, but working on so much more than what he was as that pure, box-striker, affected his finishing because he was not running the same repetitious drills like he had become accustomed to at his former club.

You don't get off the ball running to that pedigree alongside supreme finishing in strikers very often, in fact, it's more moving into the all-time realm rather than the simply world class - if Cole had that insane movement to go with insane finishing, he'd be compared to the likes of Van Basten or Romario, not peers of the PL.
To go with the above

As Henry references signature repetition by finding his favourite spot to shape up and finish from, but for someone like Cole, who was always in flow, it's a lot harder to have signature finishes to work on because he played on instinct and opportunism.

GueRed

It's good there wasnt social media back then he would've been destroyed in his first couple of years at United.
It was tough for him. I remember him being a bit of a joke figure and was disrespected left, right and centre by the ABU media and even by some of our own fans. Many blamed him for us losing the league in 1995.

Thankfully through a bit of luck and strength of character he came through it.

It was in Spring 1997 he started to look the business.

Peak Cole was 1998 to 2000 IMO was one of the best CF's in Europe.

Loved watching him roll and spin off defenders before playing someone in or getting a shot off. His link-up play and workrate was underrated. A livewire of a player.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Carragher pissing me off, constantly moving the goalposts for best league managers so he can put Klopp higher, then trying to undermine Fergie's achievements and trying to put Pep higher while ignoring charges and comparing it to United's spending.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Carragher pissing me off, constantly moving the goalposts for best league managers so he can put Klopp higher, then trying to undermine Fergie's achievements and trying to put Pep higher while ignoring charges and comparing it to United's spending.
It was a strange episode I thought, felt like none of them wanted to be there and they just wanted to get it out. Carragher on that stuff was nonsense, all of them being outraged Henderson wasn't in, Keane being weird about SAF (more than usual) etc.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
He's been spouting a lot of nonsense lately.

I was thinking this the other day, I would love to see SAF on the overlap. He did a really good interview with Neville a few years ago when he was promoting his documentary and I could see him getting on well with Wright and he would shut Carragher's shite down in a heartbeat. I reckon he would do it if asked. They could just ask Keane to skip that episode.