The pen that wasn't vs Southampton

Longshanks

Martial dives, yes there is contact its minimal and if martial hadn't thrown his feet out to dive I dont think there would of been any contact to speak off.

Once again comes down to 'clear and obvious' because Mike dean has already given it on the field he doesn't want to make his original decision look wrong, so he sees the minimal contact as his excuse to not overturn the decision but digs a hole for himself because he has no choice but to send bednarrek off if he gives the penalty.

The real kicker though is if he doesn't give it on the field than there is no way VAR would give a pen for that and in turn there would be no red card and the saints wouldn't be missing a key player for the next 3 games.

VAR is broken it's not correcting referees mistakes its making them worse. And the system is so that you have to throw yourself to the ground and hope the refs gives it on field because once it is given it's very unlikely to be overturned.

That's what I thought, but apparently because where the foul is made/point of contact is on a part of his leg which isn't in the box, that's not a penalty. I refuse to accept that's how it works but that's what I was told. Absolute madness. @11101 can you clarify? Our very own Peter Walton, who thought it was a penalty!!
What counts is where the foul took place, which was outside the box. It doesn't matter that his toe was on the line as that wasnt the part that was fouled.

From the replays I cant tell if the foul continued into the box or not, which would be a penalty, they didnt really show that on the VAR stills.

JG3001

Moaning about a 50/50 borderline pen, i don’t know why some on here are so aggrieved...

Think you’ll find the VAR offside goal was the most ridiculous decision on the night, closely followed by the 2nd red card on the Martial penalty. Penalty, but did not warrant a sending off at all.

RashyForPM

Look lads, it wasn’t a pen. Edi was kicked just outside the box. We all moaned about Bailly’s handball pen against Bournemouth last year, saying it wasn’t in the box. Neither was this. At the same time, Bednarek’s challenge was never a red, because Tony’s touch was heading straight for McCarthy. Pen, but no denial of anything. By the same token, we were absolutely screwed against Sheff Utd with two goals, and had the clearest pen in the world against Fulham turned down despite a VAR check, so we deserved the luck.

Let’s just enjoy the win. 9-0! Nine-nil!

hubbuh

That makes no sense, if that's true. To give the advantage to the fouling defender. So a defender could be holding a shirt of an attacker outside the box and keep hold of the shirt until the player is inside the box and through on goal, only for the ref to give a free kick. I struggle to believe that that's the rule.
That's insane. So if an attacker is running in the box but is pulled back by his arm which is outside the box then it's a freekick?
Yes, exactly.

What counts is where the foul took place, which was outside the box. It doesn't matter that his toe was on the line as that wasnt the part that was fouled.

From the replays I cant tell if the foul continued into the box or not, which would be a penalty, they didnt really show that on the VAR stills.
It doesn't make one jot of sense to me. Like @Bastian said you're giving the advantage to the defender and practically telling him to foul as long as it's outside the box as it prevents the attacker from getting a clear sight on goal inside the box.

ROFLUTION

Even if we go with the angle they eventually found to make it look like he was outside the box, how do they call that a clear and obvious error?
Thats also my thoughts. The micro measuring is for offside, but was all of a sudden brought into play here.

On the other hand, I can also understand that the potential error can lead to big consequences, but the rules states it's about clear and obvious, not how big the consequence will be.
(Haven't read the updated rules, so never know if they've changed again btw)

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

It was his foot that was fouled. Not his shoulder, knee or thigh. His foot was on the line. Penalty. To make things even clearer, the defenders foot continued to crunch Cavani’s boot until the entirety of both of their feet was in the box.

And all of that is without even getting into the “clear and obvious error” loophole they’ve previously used to avoid changing referee’s decisions previously. It was an utterly bizarre decision. We get several similar VAR atrocities every set of fixtures too. It’s a farce.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
It was his foot that was fouled. Not his shoulder, knee or thigh. His foot was on the line. Penalty. To make things even clearer, the defenders foot continued to crunch Cavani’s boot until the entirety of both of their feet was in the box.

And all of that is without even getting into the “clear and obvious error” loophole they’ve previously used to avoid changing referee’s decisions previously. It was an utterly bizarre decision. We get several similar VAR atrocities every set of fixtures too. It’s a farce.
This is what I don't get... the rules clearly state that holding someone that starts outside the box then continues into the box is a penalty... so why should it be any different for a slide tackle?

Anyway, even that initial point of contact, I don't see how anyone can say for certain that no part of the defenders boot is across the line considering he catches the top of Cavani's boot.

JohnnyKills

Seems people are desperate to jump on the bandwagon and criticise Martial at every opportunity.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
This is what I don't get... the rules clearly state that holding someone that starts outside the box then continues into the box is a penalty... so why should it be any different for a slide tackle?

Anyway, even that initial point of contact, I don't see how anyone can say for certain that no part of the defenders boot is across the line considering he catches the top of Cavani's boot.
It isn’t. This is yet another example of the insane nit-picking that VAR creates completely twisting the original intention of the rules. The “initial contact outside the box” thing was clearly about a situation where someone is tripped up outside the box then stumbles and falls into the box. The entirety of the foul is committed outside the box so its unfair to penalise the defender as though they committed a foul inside the box. With a nice big margin of error because referees are human. And, to be fair to Mike Dean, he made the correct call in real time.

The rule was never intended to create debates about exactly which part of someone’s foot was tackled and for precisely how many fractions of a second did the defender’s foot continue to apply force to the attackers boot, or at what point is that force sufficient to unbalance the forward thus creating a foul.

Without VAR we wouldn’t have big decisions hinging on insane pedantry like this.

Pavl3n

Martial dives, yes there is contact its minimal and if martial hadn't thrown his feet out to dive I dont think there would of been any contact to speak off.

Once again comes down to 'clear and obvious' because Mike dean has already given it on the field he doesn't want to make his original decision look wrong, so he sees the minimal contact as his excuse to not overturn the decision but digs a hole for himself because he has no choice but to send bednarrek off if he gives the penalty.

The real kicker though is if he doesn't give it on the field than there is no way VAR would give a pen for that and in turn there would be no red card and the saints wouldn't be missing a key player for the next 3 games.

VAR is broken it's not correcting referees mistakes its making them worse. And the system is so that you have to throw yourself to the ground and hope the refs gives it on field because once it is given it's very unlikely to be overturned.
That's a result of Neville's and Carragher's endless winging that decisions are made in some room instead of the responsibility lying with the on field referee.

El Zoido

A tackle isn’t any different, Barca got one against City in the CL a few years ago when Demichelis fouled Messi outside the area but it continued in. Penalty, always. The rules are clear, and the white line is part of the penalty box.

Then BT Sport closed off the argument by getting Rio and Hoddle to state it definitely wasn’t a penalty, when they had a referee on-call in the studio, and who had already explained during the game why it should have been given.

arthurka

The Martial one was a pen nothing to debate there.

But the Cavani one is a strange one. His foot is on the line and there for a part of the box. So the player that fouls him is outside of it, what counts?

If I pull your shirt outside of the box and you are inside of it would you award a penalty or a freekick?

Before yesterday's match I thought I knew what was right. But what is right does anyone know?

Withnail

A tackle isn’t any different, Barca got one against City in the CL a few years ago when Demichelis fouled Messi outside the area but it continued in. Penalty, always. The rules are clear, and the white line is part of the penalty box.

Then BT Sport closed off the argument by getting Rio and Hoddle to state it definitely wasn’t a penalty, when they had a referee on-call in the studio, and who had already explained during the game why it should have been given.
I love that. Get a ref on who states it was a legit penalty according to the actual rules and two ex-players who clearly don't know the rules disagree.

'Not for me Jeff'

:lol:

Jonno

I think the fact Dean arrogantly forfeits our advantage play, where Mason is one on one with the keeper, where he scores 99 times out of 100.

Dean goes for the headline penalty, we don't get to play our advantage. Then, once Dean is apparently wrong with the decision, we have no advantage, just a free kick.

How is that fair? Sorry they nearly broke McTomminay's leg and all, you know. But that doesn't mean just because they've had a red card, that we lose out on other decisions.

Ananke

Goal scoring chance for Martial. Bednarek looks AT Martial, runs AT Martial, no intention of trying to get the ball. He's literally going to take him out until the last millisecond where he tries to turn it off. Too late mate.

Grande

I do love me a bit of refereeing ‘polemica’ as the Spanish call it.
Exactly. There's no difference. It's not like he's fouled twice. He runs his studs down Cavani's leg, the first contact is outside the box but it's all one motion and ends on the line, which is the box. Awful decision, especially considering the ref gave it and stopped play.
I haven’t seen any decent replays,but this is crucial - if an offence action is made outside the box and then another inside the box, or a prolonged offence starting outside the box and continuing into the box - just as in advantage of play - the attacker shall receive the advantage of continued play, and the part of the foul that happened inside the box should be called for. Said another way - if a player is fouled but the ball continues to a bigger goal opportunity, the advantage shall be given, and a penalty is a bigger goal opportunity than a free kick.

If video footage leaves as much as an inkling of doubt wether as much as a millimeter of the foul took part on the line of the box, V

The worse decision is not to play on, Bruno steps over it for Greenwood clean through, there was no advantage for us.
This is a blatant and very bad mistake from

That's insane. So if an attacker is running in the box but is pulled back by his arm which is outside the box then it's a freekick?
But his foot was on the line. That's the foot that got kicked, yes? On the line counts as inside the box, so if the foot that got tackled was inside the area then the foul happens inside the area, so it's a penalty.

The rule has never been about body parts. It has always been a question of where (from a birds eye perspective) the offence took place, and the offence is the action of the offender. If a player stands with half his foot on the line and you kick him in the heel, it’s a free kick, if you kick him in the toes, it’s a pen. It has always been like this, which is why since you grew up you’ve seen countless examples of a defender hanging onto a shirt or arm running behind the attacker, and then releasimg his grip the split second before entering the box, holding his arms up.
don't think its a pen, really cant understand the rule where if its on the line its a penalty when the ball has to go over the goal line to be a goal, but that some's up football rules at the moment a shambles, add in the contact is outside the box no matter where Cavani's foot is.
Another rule that has been the same for a century or more. A line is defined as prt of the area it marks out. The line that marks out the penalty box, is considered a part of the box. The line that marks out the field of play, is considered a part of the field of play. The goal line is part of the line of the field of play, so if some of the ball is alligned with the goal line (from a birds eye perspective, the ball is considered still within the field of play, and hence not entirely inside the goal. That’s just how it is, and every player knows this.
Martial dived. Wasn't a pen or red card.
Agreed. After seeing eighteen versions of the situation, I was sure Dean was going to rescind the penalty and give Martial a yellow card. Bednarek does not hinder him, he hinderes himself. Any contact is irrelevant if it’s not hindering the player.

The red card to Bednarek is to me the worst mistake of the lot. Yes, the wording of the red card rule is stupid and clumsy, in an attempt to avoid having referees think for themselves. If robots where to ref, a defender will get a red card for trying to get away from the attacker, and then being shoulder tackled by another attacker so he falls and is kicked in the head by the first attacker trying to score. That kind of stupidity hopefully no one ever wants. The argument that that ‘if he calls a pen he is forced to give a red’ is a part of this stupidity.

Everyone who has seen a game of football knows that referees call some fouls, let others slide, gives a red or a yellow based not only on mincing word definitions but on appraising the whole situation. It happens on every singlecorner kick. No referee is ever fired for it, and noone thinks a referee is making a grave mistake in not awarding 30 pens and red cards in a game for holding in the box.

Dean can see that Bednarek is trying not to foul Martial, that Martial goes down of his own free will, that the ball is running fast enough from Martial for it not to be that clear of a goal opportunity, and he can, and should undoubtedly, decide that whatever it is, it is not an action worthy of a red card, and so not give it. He would not be wrong, he would not be fired, and he would not be stupid.Neither would he be Mike Dean, unfortunately, as we all know Mike Dean will Mike Dean.

wolvored

We won 9-0. You do know if cavani had have won a pen the rest of the game would have been completely different and we might not have won 9-0 or someone could have been injured badly etc.

It was his foot that was fouled. Not his shoulder, knee or thigh. His foot was on the line. Penalty.
That's not the rule.

To make things even clearer, the defenders foot continued to crunch Cavani’s boot until the entirety of both of their feet was in the box.
That is.

However, I didn't see any VAR clip where they played a video. It was only the still image I believe.

The red card to Bednarek is to me the worst mistake of the lot. Yes, the wording of the red card rule is stupid and clumsy, in an attempt to avoid having referees think for themselves. If robots where to ref, a defender will get a red card for trying to get away from the attacker, and then being shoulder tackled by another attacker so he falls and is kicked in the head by the first attacker trying to score. That kind of stupidity hopefully no one ever wants. The argument that that ‘if he calls a pen he is forced to give a red’ is a part of this stupidity.

Everyone who has seen a game of football knows that referees call some fouls, let others slide, gives a red or a yellow based not only on mincing word definitions but on appraising the whole situation. It happens on every singlecorner kick. No referee is ever fired for it, and noone thinks a referee is making a grave mistake in not awarding 30 pens and red cards in a game for holding in the box.

Dean can see that Bednarek is trying not to foul Martial, that Martial goes down of his own free will, that the ball is running fast enough from Martial for it not to be that clear of a goal opportunity, and he can, and should undoubtedly, decide that whatever it is, it is not an action worthy of a red card, and so not give it. He would not be wrong, he would not be fired, and he would not be stupid.Neither would he be Mike Dean, unfortunately, as we all know Mike Dean will Mike Dean.
In that situation VAR can only overturn a clear and obvious error. The fact it took 5 minutes and an on pitch review means there was nothing clear and obvious about it, so it had to stand. Unfortunately for Bednarek, the rules say if it's a foul in that situation it also has to be a red card.

What is “the rule” you refer to? Does it allude to the possibility of dividing parts of the body into specific subunits?
It's nothing to do with body parts. What matters is where the foul took place, and that was outside the box.

Like i say, maybe it continued into the box, but that wasn't shown by the VAR feed.

tomaldinho1

One of the worst calls I've ever seen. VAR is a joke.

IF goal difference comes into play at the end of the year it will be one of the worst decisions of all time.
Chill man, we got +9 from this game and also they scored a goal that was almost certainly level.

If GD does come back to haunt us I’d encourage you to look at some of the comical goals we have conceded this season: case in point SHU second goal or when Maguire took out Shaw earlier in the season.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
It's nothing to do with body parts. What matters is where the foul took place, and that was outside the box.

Like i say, maybe it continued into the box, but that wasn't shown by the VAR feed.
But the foul took place where the defenders foot contacted Cavani’s foot. And Cavani’s foot was touching the line.

Being even more pedantic (which VAR is forcing us to do) Cavani’s weight was on the front of his foot (the bit on the line) and it’s the sideways impact on his weight-bearing anatomy that constitutes the foul. Because that’s why he tripped up.

Anustart89

don't think its a pen, really cant understand the rule where if its on the line its a penalty when the ball has to go over the goal line to be a goal, but that some's up football rules at the moment a shambles, add in the contact is outside the box no matter where Cavani's foot is.
Something doesn't become a shambles just because you don't understand it :lol:

A line is part of the area that it encloses. Therefore, the line is part of the penalty box in all directions, including the goal line. Therefore, if the entire ball doesn't pass the goal line it's still inside the penalty box and not in the goal. If the ball doesn't go entirely over the touchline it's still in play because the line is part of the field of play.

Anustart89

But the foul took place where the defenders foot contacted Cavani’s foot. And Cavani’s foot was touching the line.

Being even more pedantic (which VAR is forcing us to do) Cavani’s weight was on the front of his foot (the bit on the line) and it’s the sideways impact on his weight-bearing anatomy that constitutes the foul. Because that’s why he tripped up.
But after he's tripped up by the contact on the foot, the sliding player's hip goes through Cavani and bundles him over. To not even consider that part of the contact as part of the foul (it's the same bloody tackle!) and call it a 'clear and obvious error' to award a penalty (when the place where contact is made is not seen but merely assumed due to Cavani's foot obscuring the camera from the sideline view) is beyond a joke. Not to mention that if Dean had thought it was 'clearly and obviously' a free kick and not a pen he might have been more inclined to actually play the advantage for Greenwood's 1v1 finish.

Mr Smith

I have no issue with the pen not being given (come on guys, it's outside the box) but I feel advantage should have been played, as Greenwood was one-on-one.

Bertie Wooster

For a 9-0 win, there's been far too little praise of a hammering and far too much debate in the media, social media, etc, on referee's decisions for instances long after the 3 points were decided.

The only decision that, if wrong, would have merited huge debate was the sending off after two minutes - but that was blatant and, rightly, no one is disputing that.

As for the rest - yes, we could have had a goal / penalty that was brought back for a FK at 4-0. And Southampton had one of those very tight offside goals rightly disallowed (under existing rules) at 4-0. And there was a penalty / red card incident at 6-0. But, really, it's been disgraceful how the media have made the issue more about those than the 9-0 win, as if the win was in any way controversial.

Even the Southampton manager didn't use any excuses, but the media are doing their best to undermine the win as usual. If people and the media point to the one or two decisions that went against Southampton, then it's worth mentioning the goal / penalty that went against United. But, really, others focusing on decisions at 4-0 and 6-0 is a pretty desperate way to try to undermine a convincing United win.

Deery

Dreary
We won 9-0. You do know if cavani had have won a pen the rest of the game would have been completely different and we might not have won 9-0 or someone could have been injured badly etc.
Could have won 10-0 as well.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
But after he's tripped up by the contact on the foot, the sliding player's hip goes through Cavani and bundles him over. To not even consider that part of the contact as part of the foul (it's the same bloody tackle!) and call it a 'clear and obvious error' to award a penalty (when the place where contact is made is not seen but merely assumed due to Cavani's foot obscuring the camera from the sideline view) is beyond a joke. Not to mention that if Dean had thought it was 'clearly and obviously' a free kick and not a pen he might have been more inclined to actually play the advantage for Greenwood's 1v1 finish.
Yes. Exactly.

Reducation

I'm disappointed to see Martial dive for a penalty again. Quite an embarrassing dive at that. The decision to send the lad off was ridiculous.

UmbroDays

Contact continues inside the box. Its a pen.
Thats not how it’s referred in the rule book.

The rule book notes a shirt pull that continues into the box. You can hold someone’s shirt for 10 seconds but you can only tackle a player at the point of contact on his body for less than one second.

Cavani’s foot wasn’t on the line at the point of contact of the challenge hence why a free kick.

Last edited:

Grande

In that situation VAR can only overturn a clear and obvious error. The fact it took 5 minutes and an on pitch review means there was nothing clear and obvious about it, so it had to stand. Unfortunately for Bednarek, the rules say if it's a foul in that situation it also has to be a red card.
Then you’ve misunderstood: VAR does not overturn, VAR notifies ref that he shoud reevaluate a situation, and VAR is instructed to notify the ref only if they think it’s a clear and obvious error and a serious incident. The ref decides if he wants to see it, if he wants to take the VARs word for something, and the ref can himself ask to see a review of something even if VAR haven’t notified him. When the ref reviews his decision, he shall not concider wether he’s made a clear and obvious error, he shall only concider what is the correct refereeing decision.

It’s also incorrect that the rules say if it’s a foul in that situation, it has to be a red card. There is room and necessity for the ref to think for himself how clear a goal chance Martial is hindered from, and how much what Bednarek does is a result of attempting for the ball or of trying to hinder Martial without caring about the ball.

Me, as a ref seeing that situation with the advantage of video reviews, think it’s pretty clear Bednarek lunges Martial and the ball, sees he can’t reach the ball, and hence tries to avoid touching Martial as best he can, so if there was enough contact so as to hinder Martial it was because of the attempt for the ball. If I presented that argument for the refereeing commitee, they might agree or disagree on my reading of the situation, but they couldn’t overturn my decision on basis of breach the laws of the game. Likewise, I think the ball was slipping away from Martial towards the goalkeeper, which is why he took a fall instead of trying to score, as his instincts told him it wasn’t big enough of a scoring opportunity. Again, subjective interpretation. The attempt to escape subjective interpretation altogether is futile, creates more problems than it solves and is idiotic.

cyberman

Thats not how it’s referred in the rule book.

The rule book notes a shirt pull that continues into the box. You can hold someone’s shirt for 10 seconds but you can only tackle a player at the point of contact on his body for less than one second.

Cavani’s foot wasn’t on the line at the point of contact of the challenge hence why a free kick.
It is though. His foot literally goes down Cavanis foot. Thats all first contact
If a foul is commited outside of the box and continues inside, its a pen. The shirt pull is just an obvious example.
Barca got a pen in a game v City that followed the same rule and that was from a tackle.