The penalty call on Rashford

Alek M

Da manic one
Can someone put up a gif of a camera view behind the goal as the tacke happens and the referee is in the background. It shows the ref lifting his hand up for a moment to blow the whistle, but then changes his mind.

What changed his mind?

Classical Mechanic

What changed his mind?
Yaya Toure had pleaded for a penalty just a minute before. He and Carrick were wrestling each other, who fouled who first was not clear and thus no free kick or penalty. I believe that incident was still in his mind and he didn't want to give us one because he was unsure if that incident was one.

He bottled it basically.

RedDF

Yaya Toure had pleaded for a penalty just a minute before. He and Carrick were wrestling each other, who fouled who first was not clear and thus no free kick or penalty. I believe that incident was still in his mind and he didn't want to give us one because he was unsure if that incident was one.

He bottled it basically.
There was a clear difference in clarity concerning both situations... The tackle on rashford was clear as day

Alek M

Da manic one
Thanks. I am firmer believer more refs are needed. If there was one behind the goal line he may have signaled for a penalty.

Will EPL have 6 refs next year like Uefa league?

bucky

Can't help but feel that it would have been very soft. Against City I take it, but I'd be furious if something like that was given against us.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Thanks. I am firmer believer more refs are needed. If there was one behind the goal line he may have signaled for a penalty.

Also we should have a ref flying over the field on a helicopter

harms

Staff
Can't help but feel that it would have been very soft. Against City I take it, but I'd be furious if something like that was given against us.
He was nowhere near the ball and it was a clear and intentional tackle, what more do you need?

JohnnyKills

It's not more refs we need, it's better ones.

The standard of refereeing in England has been shocking for years. They're either officious attention-seekers (the likes of David Elleray), incompetent (Oliver) or both (Clattenburg). You get some shockers in Europe, like the one who sent off Nani against Real Madrid, but the standard is generally significantly higher.

Most of our referees look as though they've never played football. Why don't the FA actively encourage refereeing as a new career for players coming towards retirement in Leagues One and Two? The money that comes from top-flight refereeing would be bloody useful for a bloke who's spent his whole life playing for Rochdale or Shrewsbury, and they'd bring the game understanding as well. Seems so obvious I'm surprised it hasn't been implemented already.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He realised he was about to give a call that will decide the match. If the scores were level, he would probably have blown. He bottle it.

bucky

He was nowhere near the ball and it was a clear and intentional tackle, what more do you need?
Rashford goes down easily. Demichelis was being stupid and nowadays it's probably a penalty, but it's one of the things I dislike about football these days.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

I'm not quite sure if remember it well but seconds before Toure's penalty shout there's a clear shirt pulling . It's away from the ball and Oliver decided, correctly, to let it go. But we've seen some of those being given and there was that ridiculous incident in the Leicester game the day before too.

As for Rashford, he takes two steps after the initial contact and then falls down. This always looks suspicious in the eyes of some refs, especially the less talented who are never quite sure when it comes to making big calls.

Born2Lose

I have thought for a while that it's easier now for referee's not to make a big call than to make the wrong decision. It must partly be down to the amount of scrutiny they receive. I think technology would actually help them a lot, and hope that someday it's introduced to make the game fairer.

Burrow

FM Experiment God
Scout
Didnt Oliver end up giving us a throw in, meaning that he actually stopped play before the incident happened?

harms

Staff
LOL.
I thought I was the only one who remembered that.
Everyone remembers, it was the defying moment for Oliver, like Alonso challenge was for Webb and Nani's red card was for for that Turkish referee (not sure on the correct English spelling so I won't even try)

204Red

Clear Peno in my mind

and if that had been Rojo instead of Demichelis we'd all be saying "WTF... give your head a shake Marcos"

At the very least, its a good thing Oliver didn't compound his mistake by giving Rashford a booking for diving.

Burrow

FM Experiment God
Scout
Fernandinho cleared it for a throw in after the challenge.
Ah, so he did. I just remember the producers showing Rojo controlling the ball on the line atleast a few times, so figured the idiots chickened out of a big decision.

Oddboy

Rashford goes down easily. Demichelis was being stupid and nowadays it's probably a penalty, but it's one of the things I dislike about football these days.
That's harsh. Demichelis is a big guy and he just bundled into the back of him, taking his legs. It's an absolute stone waller.

Dr. Funkenstein

Not CAF Geert Wilders

He bottled it basically.
He also might have been afraid that the ball went over the sideline just before. Either way, is just another spineless referee as most are in the PL.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
The worst part about all of that is how he's too fecking cowardly to break up the big huddle of players who are fighting with each other. Is there a referee as weak and scared as Oliver in the league?

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Everyone remembers, it was the defying moment for Oliver, like Alonso challenge was for Webb and Nani's red card was for for that Turkish referee (not sure on the correct English spelling so I won't even try)
I think it's spelled cnut.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Will forever love Lingard for his part in that scuffle
Same. Pushed Fernandinho who is now one of my least liked players along with Demecheillis for attempting to intimidate Rashford. Jokes on you two ya shit cnuts.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
It is funny now they tried to make him look like he dived when it was clear that he was impeded. Rashford reacted well, didn't get intimidated and didn't do anything stupid either.

The Purley King

It's not more refs we need, it's better ones.

The standard of refereeing in England has been shocking for years. They're either officious attention-seekers (the likes of David Elleray), incompetent (Oliver) or both (Clattenburg). You get some shockers in Europe, like the one who sent off Nani against Real Madrid, but the standard is generally significantly higher.

Most of our referees look as though they've never played football. Why don't the FA actively encourage refereeing as a new career for players coming towards retirement in Leagues One and Two? The money that comes from top-flight refereeing would be bloody useful for a bloke who's spent his whole life playing for Rochdale or Shrewsbury, and they'd bring the game understanding as well. Seems so obvious I'm surprised it hasn't been implemented already.
I played semi-professional football for 11 years, had to give up when I was 32 due to a succession of bad knee injuries. Never played in the conference, but played in the Southern and Ryman leagues. I did my referees training as I felt that it would be a good option rather than playing - i.e. still involved in the sport. I kind of assumed there would be some sort of fast-track process for someone like me, as believe me you learn a lot of underhand tactics playing at the level I did :)
In order to even referee at the level I played at, which obviously is a long way from the premier league would have taken at least 5-6 years. Not to sound big headed, but given my past experience I would have thought that would have counted for something. Didn't want to jump the queue completely and it should obviously be dependent on performance, but after finding that out a lot of my enthusiasm went and I no longer referee. I was hoping to make a career of it at the highest level I could get to, but the timeline was just too long. Seems that referees have to be career referees and not ex players.......

Skizzo

The worst part about all of that is how he's too fecking cowardly to break up the big huddle of players who are fighting with each other. Is there a referee as weak and scared as Oliver in the league?
That's what I found the most strange. He stood about 30 feet away watching as Rashford and Lingard get swarmed by City players, and he just stands quietly minding his own business.

It's not like the classroom Michael, we see you there.

JohnnyKills

I played semi-professional football for 11 years, had to give up when I was 32 due to a succession of bad knee injuries. Never played in the conference, but played in the Southern and Ryman leagues. I did my referees training as I felt that it would be a good option rather than playing - i.e. still involved in the sport. I kind of assumed there would be some sort of fast-track process for someone like me, as believe me you learn a lot of underhand tactics playing at the level I did :)
In order to even referee at the level I played at, which obviously is a long way from the premier league would have taken at least 5-6 years. Not to sound big headed, but given my past experience I would have thought that would have counted for something. Didn't want to jump the queue completely and it should obviously be dependent on performance, but after finding that out a lot of my enthusiasm went and I no longer referee. I was hoping to make a career of it at the highest level I could get to, but the timeline was just too long. Seems that referees have to be career referees and not ex players.......
Yeah my thoughts exactly. People who've played at a high level should be fast-tracked, as they have the knowledge and the natural fitness to do the job. Plus they have a natural empathy with the players and won't treat them like naughty children.

Perhaps the powers that be want to maintain the current system, as dodgy refereeing decisions fuel the controversy and add to the spectacle for the viewer.