The perennial struggle to sell

Abraxas

While I agree with you that we need to stop buying bang average players for big money (we just simply can't help ourselves when it comes to overpaying), I do think some nous helps.

Maybe the negative press on all our players doesn't help, but I don't think they are so crap that they are unsellable. Maybe 40 million for Fred is too much, but's there's not even a 20 million bid for us to consider. How can it be? Chelsea seem to have no problems getting rid of Havertz and Abraham for decent money.
Chelsea had big offers on the table for Havertz and Abraham. It's not because they are geniuses and somehow hypnotised the market in a way we can't, it's because that outside interest existed at a level that would prompt a sale. Which really comes down to the specifics of the assets in question as every transaction is really about a product and a buyer, not genius strategy at the point of sale - the genius has to come when you buy players to begin with and how you handle them.

Abraham was a young English striker that had scored goals at every level, evidently a valuable commodity. To draw a more accurate analogy than a random player of ours, if we wanted to sell Mason Greenwood in his better days would we have got a large fee? Of course we could have done, without a shadow of a doubt. Havertz fee surprised me but if a big club takes a liking to a player that is possible. I think that was a bit of luck for Chelsea that one club existed that would pay such a sum as I don't neccessarily think Chelsea priced that one in for this summer, if anything they probably had him going abroad but then they're able to say to Arsenal we'll sell domestically at a price. But let's draw a comparison to a player we also bought from Germany for big money in Jadon Sancho. Which one has held more value? Undoubutedly Havertz because he hasn't been plagued with the same issues that have taken him off the pitch, he's probably played slightly better and at least had some level of on pitch consistency - he's hung onto enough value to convince one club there is more to unlock whereas Jadon Sancho has obliterated his value.

We don't really know if 20 million is on the table for Fred, or if we even want to sell at that level. But one thing is clear which is that he's not the same commodity as those players. He's an aging player, what you see is what you get, he's performed to a level but never quite been consistently great at PL level so there is a cap on his value. If we do want to sell him I think it's possible but like you say, it's going to be 20 million or so not a figure that will change anyone's view on our sales acumen. That's not going to change until we make bigger sales, but bigger sales require better assets. Young players, potential, recent performance, reasonable wages, these are the things that will hold some kind of attraction to buyers. We would need to buy those things more often and make the decisions to sell earlier, not trying to sell when it's all gone pear shaped.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I’m curious why 1m for a player who is rated higher in the eyes of fans (based on one preseason) than management is the thing that pisses you off? He wasn’t anywhere near being top dog in the reserve levels and we can’t get silly prices for all reserves
He is 20y and already playing for his NT and is product of Man Utd academy. I am not saying that we should have got 10 mil or so but 1 mil does seem too low.

G-MUFC

I think Utd are part of the problem. For a good 10 years or more we have been buying talented players and most of the time not improving them. It's then difficult to seek lots of money for assets that we have made worse through poor coaching.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I think Utd are part of the problem. For a good 10 years or more we have been buying talented players and most of the time not improving them. It's then difficult to seek lots of money for assets that we have made worse through poor coaching.
Personally I think that a lot of fans overrate these young uns. There is a huge difference between youth/reserve levels and playing premier league football. Many of these teams will end up playing in the lower leagues

Lee565

We are too complacent as a club, what other big club is holding onto average players like mctominay, dalot and elanga.

Chelsea would have got rid of fred by the end of his first season in yhe prem to recoup a majority of the fee but we just persevere with them for one too many seasons, mctominay has to be one of the jammiest players going to be at united for this long, we should have flogged elanga last summer when his stock was at its highest from getting good playing time under ragnick.

the rare times we have got rid of average players quickly (by our standards ) we have done well to recoup good money back like Dan james and Schneiderlin.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
We are too complacent as a club, what other big club is holding onto average players like mctominay, dalot and elanga.

Chelsea would have got rid of fred by the end of his first season in yhe prem to recoup a majority of the fee but we just persevere with them for one too many seasons, mctominay has to be one of the jammiest players going to be at united for this long, we should have flogged elanga last summer when his stock was at its highest from getting good playing time under Rangnick.

the rare times we have got rid of average players quickly (by our standards ) we have done well to recoup good money back like Dan james and Schneiderlin.
That’s my main gripe, keeping average players too long

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Could make an XI of them

Henderson
B.Willams Bailly Maguire Telles Jones
Fred McTominay De Beek Elanga
Martial
Where do you think that team would finish in the league if played all season? How many goals do you think it’d score?

Gavinb33

He is 20y and already playing for his NT and is product of Man Utd academy. I am not saying that we should have got 10 mil or so but 1 mil does seem too low.
Look at it like this, if the market was there they would be lining up to sign him because the value of the signing, they were not why because there was no market for him, at 1 mill that should be enough of a tempter for championship clubs but it wasn't

BeltUp

Supports
United
Typically, when a player moves to United it's supposed to be the peak of their career so they should be getting peak wages. Unfortunately, more often than not, the players we get end up flopping for a multitude of reasons and nobody is willing to take the risk on flops with massive wages, no matter how big the discount is.

In the rare instances where the players are successes, we don't want to let them go so the only valuable/sought after players we have are kept (usually on huge wages until they are past their best - see DDG).

acolyte

I think you’re missing my point. If he’s on £190k per week there is no way we needed to offer him £375k to sign him. If the contract needed to be that high we should have walked away as he really came for money in my opinion. You can’t give young players everything in one go because they think they have made it. It’s arguable we do that to all our youngsters which is why they never hit the height of expectation. Why bother when you’re earning double what you would for any other club in the world.
I don't disagree that that's a crazy wage and we could have gotten him for cheaper (though not less than 200k). I just think that for Sancho in particular it looks worse in hindsight. At the time we signed him he basically looked like a sure thing, one of the best young players in the world, and a high wage made a little more sense.

Borussia Teeth

Can we all stop overvaluing Fred please? I like the guy but he's a 30 year old, high energy player in the last year of his 120kpw contract. 15m would be fantastic business.

AFC NimbleThumb

Can we all stop overvaluing Fred please? I like the guy but he's a 30 year old, high energy player in the last year of his 120kpw contract. 15m would be fantastic business.
My mate told me, & I quote, ‘Fred was brilliant in 80% of the games he played last season.’. It was at that moment I further realised we deserve the crap we’re being served up. I can’t believe anyone is still attempting to justify this guy as even ‘a squad player’.

Lee565

Typically, when a player moves to United it's supposed to be the peak of their career so they should be getting peak wages. Unfortunately, more often than not, the players we get end up flopping for a multitude of reasons and nobody is willing to take the risk on flops with massive wages, no matter how big the discount is.

In the rare instances where the players are successes, we don't want to let them go so the only valuable/sought after players we have are kept (usually on huge wages until they are past their best - see DDG).
Yeah, I mean look at Bayern, real madrid and man City when it comes to letting players go when they are still doing for various reason like they are ageing or they upgrade for an even better high calibre player.

Casimero is a good example, real madrid recouped 60 million for a player in his twilight years and they were able to put that money to getting Bellingham who will likely be in their midfield for the next 9-10 years.

Man city have got rid of players like zinchenko, Jesus and cancelo, could you imagine united letting these players go based on their performance leading up to their sales who all but maybe zinchenko (because of shaw) would easily walk into our first 11 and we wouldn't likely drop them if their form dipped let alone sell them

roseguy64

Chelsea would have got rid of fred by the end of his first season in yhe prem to recoup a majority of the fee but we just persevere with them for one too many seasons, mctominay has to be one of the jammiest players going to be at united for this long, we should have flogged elanga last summer when his stock was at its highest from getting good playing time under Rangnick.

You say this like Man Utd are the only big club that can't get rid of players.

Erik the Red

Add on Phil Jones, Tuanzebe and DDG and that is 16 players potentially leaving in one summer window. I think it is right to be ruthless and free up cash and wages for new players. Would rather give the kids a chance in the league Cup than play most of this lot. Sancho is the only one I would be sad to see leave, as I think he has got great potential...

Loon

:lol:
It would seem Ten Hag has made up his mind as to who he can trust. The disastrous Rangnick aside, the season before last should not be forgotten.

Varun1

He’s literally been “ok” in his 6th year. We could get a good bit back on him now and reinvest
It's ironic that, throughout the thread, we are talking about being ruthless and getting rid of average players, yet some are rating Lindelof based solely on the last few months of the season. Whereas he has been shit for the last 6 years!

RedStarUnited

I look at the price for Bailly and think, wow thats seems too cheap but then I look at stats and see this is a guy who has never played 26 or more league games in his whole career. In fact, He has played 32 games in the last 4 seasons for us, How and why have we not sold him?

Brandon Williams is 22, English and can play both flanks. He should be a player we can flog for a lot more than 5 million. Put it this way, i doubt theres a single full back in the league that we can get for 5m. City sold a player last summer for 10m, this player had 0 minutes in the the premier League.