The Platformer Video Game Thread

Dante

Average bang
Errr... I'm thinking about buying an arcade stick to play emulated games on my PC. I got one from a cheap Chinese website recently, but it was just a joystick over 4 rubber contacts. I've been looking at this 8 way switch Neo Geo stick on Amazon and I reckon I'm going to end up plumping for that.

Dante

Average bang
Buy an arcade cab, hook the insides up to a pc and play the games that way. Then invite me round to play :D
I know I have more money than sense, but some of the cabinets I just found on ebay where crazily expensive. I can't believe you actually got me considering it for a second.

How do people feel about speed runs? This Mario 64 one is probably my favourite. It's not a world record but you get to look at the geek's socially awkward face the whole way through. Some of his tekkers is out of this world though.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
I can't believe you actually got me considering it for a second.
:D

Speed runs are pretty cool. I couldn't imagine sitting through a whole 2 hour one like that (it doesn't look like they're enjoying it much there), but for some other more simpler ones it could be cool to try and challenge peoples' times. Although the amount of skill people show I wouldn't like to find out that the games I think I'm good at, I'm actually not :lol:

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze will have leaderboards with recordings of your best time on each level which is pretty cool.

Member 39557

talking of speed runs, I downloaded NES Remix the other day and found this surprisingly tricky. He only runs full pelt and timing the jumps to avoid the fish took a few attempts.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
I've made one before and sold it for a nice sum of money. It's not hard, you can even get the curved glass for them easy enough :)
I don't think I'd have the patience to do it TBH, even if it isn't too hard. I'd prefer to just buy an already working one :p

talking of speed runs, I downloaded NES Remix the other day and found this surprisingly tricky. He only runs full pelt and timing the jumps to avoid the fish took a few attempts.

I've tried doing that level non-stop running in the original SMB and yeah, it can be quite tricky. Wish I had NES Remix it looks cool from what I've seen.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
There and Back Again: Koji Igarashi's Metroidvania Tale
Koji Igarashi | Game Designer

From its beginnings with 8-bit classics like Metroid, through its rebirth in Castlevania: Symphony of the Night and several games in the series since -- right up to the current generation of hardware -- "Metroidvania"-style games' mix of action/adventure and exploration/backtracking has stood the test of the time. Join long-time Castlevania-producer Koji Igarashi for an exploration of his experiences and methodology in creating some of the most popular and influential games in the genre over the last 15 years.
http://schedule.gdconf.com/session-id/828360

Fingers crossed so damn hard this leads to a new Castlevania trilogy for 3DS :drool:

Alock1

So.. there's a new Trials game coming out in April called Trials Fusion for 360, X1, PS4 and PC.

Would we consider the Trials games to be platformers? Or games like that.

Alock1

Did anybody play this on PC?

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
CastleVania - Symphony of the Night is a gem
Gods - Although never finished it, probably with Emulator and save state i'll be able to finish this
Brandish - not exactly run and jump, but a cool 2D RPG once you get the hang of it
Contra - Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right ABAB Those were the days
Super Mario 3 - The one where you can fly :P was the best things on Nintendo
Super Ghost and Ghouls - Never even finished the first level, it's just too darm hard its annoying
Streets of Rage 2 (Bare Knuckle 2) - Beat them up platformer , one of the very best I've played
Alladin - was fun, one of the few I really bought the catrige for it
Shinobi Shadow Dancer - Was ace on Sega

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Don't ever play Ghosts and Goblins :lol:

Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts is hard, but surely you couldn't have tried much if you couldn't get past the first level? :D
To be fair, If I had gotten a legit copy back then (where as kids you only get to buy 1 game every 6 mths), I could probably but headed myself into level 2 at most...

Sadly, games lost its appeal with how easy we get them on Emu... I can't stand 5 minutes playing platform games nowdays...

Short span of patience... :(

Hell, since my PS3 got jailbroken, it's kinda hard for me to really get into midgame, let alone finish anything

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
On the second though, I know it's not a platformer but Super Punch Out is super fun

Whenever I got 10 minutes to kill, that's the game I played the most. Kinda like just letting yourself off steam punching the hillarious bad dudes

NM

New Super mario bros wii u is ok so far. I'm going to finish it before moving it to DK and 3d World though.

The "New" Super Mario Bros series just doesn't capture the magic for me.

Lance Uppercut

Rayman Legends is 20 quid on Amazon (PS4 version). Great price, how is the game?

NM

Rayman Legends is 20 quid on Amazon (PS4 version). Great price, how is the game?
Great game. Didn't enjoy it as much as origins, but the musical levels are an absolute blast. Brilliant platforming game, and the visuals are truly beautiful in a cartoonish way

Alock1

I dont need to watch that to know it'll be a shit game unfortunately.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout

- confirmed to be a 3D platform
- some of the team worked on DKC
- lots of collectibles
- collectibles involve grabbing 'pages', among other items
- special moves for the main characters
- characters allow for all sorts of various moves
- various themed worlds
- less linear than previous 3D platforms
- use pages to unlock future works and expand current worlds
- worlds will expand in size when you unlock content with pages
- hub world with lots of exploration
- secrets that could take months, if not years to discover
- Kickstarter coming soon
- amiibo support being considered

Mojo_

its more fun being a feeder
Okay platform games , favourites below.

Megman 1+2 Nes
Manic Miner C64
Super Mario 1,2 and 3 Nes
Rayman, Xbox one (think its free right now on Gold)
Yoshi's Island 3 DS
Triple Deluxe 3DS
Kirby's Adventure Wii
Donkey Kong Country SNES
Tropical Freeze Wii U
Super Mario bros Wii and Wii u

Basically most things Nintendo

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
There's been a resurgence in platformers, 2D ones mainly, over the last few years. It's great to see too because with the technology available, developers are able to create some gorgeous worlds.

Some of the new-ish ones that are worth checking out...

Limbo
Braid
Dust: An Elysian Tail
Child Of Light
Alice: Madness Returns
Rayman Origins & Legends
Valiant Hearts, it probably isn't technically a platformer but it's got some platforming elements.
Counterspy
Rogue Legacy
Shovel Knight, haven't played it yet but it looks brilliant.
Contrast, underrated game.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
There's been a resurgence in platformers, 2D ones mainly, over the last few years. It's great to see too because with the technology available, developers are able to create some gorgeous worlds.

Some of the new-ish ones that are worth checking out...

Limbo
Braid
Dust: An Elysian Tail
Child Of Light
Alice: Madness Returns
Rayman Origins & Legends
Valiant Hearts, it probably isn't technically a platformer but it's got some platforming elements.
Counterspy
Rogue Legacy
Shovel Knight, haven't played it yet but it looks brilliant.
Contrast, underrated game.
I've been playing Dust: An Elysian Tail for the last couple of days. It's been very enjoyable so far.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
Okay platform games , favourites below.

Megman 1+2 Nes
Manic Miner C64
Super Mario 1,2 and 3 Nes
Rayman, Xbox one (think its free right now on Gold)
Yoshi's Island 3 DS
Triple Deluxe 3DS
Kirby's Adventure Wii
Donkey Kong Country SNES
Tropical Freeze Wii U
Super Mario bros Wii and Wii u

Basically most things Nintendo
Nice choices. There are a few there I haven't played, but good stuff going by those that I have.

I bought Super Donkey Kong 2 (DKC2) yesterday. Have never played that one before so am looking forward to getting it :drool: