The Platformer Video Game Thread

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
Due to popular... well, one demand;
You need to make a thread for platformers Olly - you know your shit, and I'm always looking for new platformers to play!
I present the official platformer video game thread on RedCafe.net - the leading Manchester United forum.

Did you know, in Germany they call platform games, "Jump 'n' Run" games. Well, you do now.

I guess as I started the thread I should say some of my favourite ones, so... for now here are just five as I could list loads, in no particular order, apart from Yoshi's Island being at the top, that needs to be at the top of every list.

Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
Batman
Super Castlevania IV
Wario Land 4
Sonic the Hedgehog 2

Oh ok let's do another five

The Addams Family: Pugsley's Scavenger Hunt
Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts
Kirby's Fun Pak (Kirby Super Star)
Gremlins 2
Demon's Crest... *sigh*

So, post your favourites, ask for recommendations, or just talk a load of bollocks.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Some of my favourites, in the order I first played them...

Loved Sonic when I was a kid. I remember giving up on this for ages though because of that stupid barrel in the Carnival Zone.

First game I got for the PS1.

Every Jak and Daxter game was great really but 2 was the best.

A fairly recent one. Really underrated game, much darker than the other games I've picked but a great platformer.

They're just a few I've picked, could've picked shitloads really. Mario, Spyro, Rayman, Ratchet & Clank, Croc etc.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Basically every Mario and Sonic game ever.

Oh and Aladdin for the NES or SNES or whatever it was.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
The first game I ever played:

One of my favourites when I was younger:

Mystry

Friendship is magic
Super Mario Land on the gameboy was probably the first platformer I played. Probably my favourite soundtrack out of all the mario games.

Also had Zool 2 on my Amiga but never got past the first level on the second world. I really should go back and play that.

Had a whole bunch of platformers for my Amiga like Lion King and Aladdin which were great and some not so great like Oscar. A game where the background, foreground, enemies and pick ups are blended seamlessly together into a mesh of bright colours so you had no idea what was going on.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
What's Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair like? I bought it about a year ago but haven't played it yet. Just had a look on Youtube and it looks a bit weird.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
What's Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair like? I bought it about a year ago but haven't played it yet. Just had a look on Youtube and it looks a bit weird.

Yeah it's pretty fun. It's a mash-up of platformer and shoot-em-up.

Wonderboy in Monster Land, now there's a fecking game! A platform-come-RPG, excellent game that one is!

Oh and the others made by the Psycho Fox team, Kid Kool and De-Cap Attack :drool: All three were incredibly original and great titles, people should play them if not own them!

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
Yeah it's pretty fun. It's a mash-up of platformer and shoot-em-up.

Wonderboy in Monster Land, now there's a fecking game! A platform-come-RPG, excellent game that one is!

Oh and the others made by the Psycho Fox team, Kid Kool and De-Cap Attack :drool: All three were incredibly original and great titles, people should play them if not own them!
Cool I'll give it a shot sometime!

Here's a fun one I bet nobody here has played, Magical Taruruuto-kun: Magic Adventure, on the Super Famicom

WeasteDevil

The original Wonderboy, New Zealand story and the amazing Psycho fox are games people need to play!
Good story regarding New Zealand Story, my mate and I were playing through it, and he was changing a light bulb. I said to him I'm going to play the game and I'll finish it, he laughed whilst on top of the ladder. I finished it!

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
This thread doesn't have enough Crash Bandicoot and Spyro for sure - my personal favourites. How many people find that their favourites are pretty much based around nostalgia, often being amount the first games they played?

Sonic, Spyro and Crash are my top 3 - Mario, Donkey Kong later because I played them later.

Spyro 2 was probably the best of the Spyros, but Year of the Dragon (3) is my favourite - simply for the two skateboarding levels.

--

So,

3D or 2D?
Third person camera or side scrolling?
What do we think makes a platformer so good?
What is the best multiplayer platformers?
Which have the best/hardest boss levels?

Alock1

Some of my favourites, in the order I first played them...

They're just a few I've picked, could've picked shitloads really. Mario, Spyro, Rayman, Ratchet & Clank, Croc etc.
Great taste.

Dante

Average bang
Mario 64 was my first thought though I avoided mentioning it because it was 3D. But if we are going to go down that route I've got to mention Prince of Persia: Sands of Time. Easily in my top 5 games of all time. Ubisoft ruined the franchise by making the sequels dark and angsty.

What about Go Go Beckham? Surely someone must have played this :D
Never played it, but it does remind me of Marko's Magic Football on the Mega Drive.

That brought back memories.

Alock1

Mario 64 was my first thought though I avoided mentioning it because it was 3D. But if we are going to go down that route I've got to mention Prince of Persia: Sands of Time. Easily in my top 5 games of all time. Ubisoft ruined the franchise by making the sequels dark and angsty.
A good number of my favourite platformers are 3D! They definitely deserve a place in this thread, right?

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
3D platformers are for this thread too, mine in the OP were only 2D because they're what I prefer :)

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
Skyblazer on the SNES, published by Sony Imagesoft, is a good underrated game that I'd recommend for anyone that likes 2d platform/action games

Alock1

I know this isn't technically a platformer, not a typical one anyway; but I reckon a lot of you platformer fans (especially 2D ones) would absolutely love Mark of the Ninja - check it out, it's fecking brilliant.
It does share some typical platforming features, and it's a 2D side-scroller but technically

Mystry

Friendship is magic
I'm guessing I'm the only one who doesn't think Mario 64 was that great? The shit camera killed, what could have been a game I loved, for me.

Nickosaur

Nostalgia overload! Jak II was brilliant! I loved the Jak and Daxter games. Crash Bandicoot didn't evolve quite so well from PS1 > PS2 but it was still a lot of fun.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
I thought Rayman Origins was fantastic but Rayman Legends is perhaps even a step above. The French creators really have really created an addictive gaming experience.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
This thread doesn't have enough Crash Bandicoot and Spyro for sure - my personal favourites. How many people find that their favourites are pretty much based around nostalgia, often being amount the first games they played?

Sonic, Spyro and Crash are my top 3 - Mario, Donkey Kong later because I played them later.

Spyro 2 was probably the best of the Spyros, but Year of the Dragon (3) is my favourite - simply for the two skateboarding levels.

--

So,

3D or 2D?
Third person camera or side scrolling?
What do we think makes a platformer so good?
What is the best multiplayer platformers?
Which have the best/hardest boss levels?
Spyro was immense, when I played it, I had no memory card, had to play it all in one go. :lol:
Didn't think that was a platformer, as much as an adventure game, or I'd have mentioned it. Immense game, and as you say, ruined by it's sequels.

Coincidentally, I got it as a bundle with my PS2, and couldn't afford a memory card that week..... :lol:

Bebe

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time.

One of the most incredible gaming experiences I've had. Talk about brilliant level design..