The Platformer Video Game Thread

Revan

Assumptionman
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time.

One of the most incredible gaming experiences I've had. Talk about brilliant level design..
It is a new game (comared to the others here) and it's 3D. Anyway, couldn't get much on it when I tried. Probably need to try again it!

Revan

Assumptionman
It's my favourite game of all time, fantastic platformer. You should spend less time obsessing over FF7 and check it out, Revan.
Have played it for an hour or so, and didn't like that much (didn't helped the fact that it was immediately after SS2 and FF9 so the majority of games would fall short compared to them). Will likely play the trilogy sometime in the future.

Revan

Assumptionman
Does it matter if it's new or old?
Nah, just found it a bit unusual considering that everyone was talking about odies. For myself (like most people) Super Mario Bross is the first platformer game I have played. I was 4 years or so and I spent a lot of time until finished the game (which was one of my best moments in life).

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
Have played it for an hour or so, and didn't like that much (didn't helped the fact that it was immediately after SS2 and FF9 so the majority of games would fall short compared to them). Will likely play the trilogy sometime in the future.
I didn't like the rest of them, ruined the beautiful dreamlike vibe for generic gritty action.
Nah, just found it a bit unusual considering that everyone was talking about odies. For myself (like most people) Super Mario Bross is the first platformer game I have played. I was 4 years or so and I spent a lot of time until finished the game (which was one of my best moments in life).
I'd say it's because you don't really see pure platformers often anymore, even the likes of PoP can be called action-adventure.

Revan

Assumptionman
I didn't like the rest of them, ruined the beautiful dreamlike vibe for generic gritty action.

I'd say it's because you don't really see pure platformers often anymore, even the likes of PoP can be called action-adventure.
Yep, that's a good reason.
Heard that the two sequels aren't that good, but as I said haven't played yet the first one. Same about Assasins Creed, not a big fan of these type of games.

Revan

Assumptionman
Does anyone mentioned Battletoads? Haven't played it but it's usually on top of the most difficult video games of all times. Is it really that hard?

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Sands of time is brilliant. What a game. The next one is pretty good too, but slightly too dark/shadowy. It makes ledges and such a bit difficult to see in places.

Also, I cant play either now as I know the maps too well. The 3rd one is good as well thinking about it.

Sands is the best

Aboutreika18

They ruined the second one by making it way too emo and dark and basically ruining the Prince's character. The third one was better but still didn't reach the heights of the first.

All three are good games in their own right but it's SoT>>>TTT>>>>>>WW for me.

Bebe

It is a new game (comared to the others here) and it's 3D. Anyway, couldn't get much on it when I tried. Probably need to try again it!

The first console I owned was an Xbox. I never really played any of the 2D platformers of old unfortunately.

And Revan I'll make you a deal. I'll get going on my KOTOR save again, and you play Sands of Time. I suspect we'll both be better off.

Revan

Assumptionman
The first console I owned was an Xbox. I never really played any of the 2D platformers of old unfortunately.

And Revan I'll make you a deal. I'll get going on my KOTOR save again, and you play Sands of Time. I suspect we'll both be better off.

What? Still haven't finished it? You're dead to me! :mad:

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Anyone got recommendations for the Vita? Not Spyro, Crash, Ratchet or Jak.

PSP games from the Store perhaps?

vanthaman

Winner
I thought Rayman Origins was fantastic but Rayman Legends is perhaps even a step above. The French creators really have really created an addictive gaming experience.

I need to load up this game again, absolutely brilliant, so many levels and unlockables, love the music ones too. Especially black Betty

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
Anyone got recommendations for the Vita? Not Spyro, Crash, Ratchet or Jak.

PSP games from the Store perhaps?
There must be a fair few decent platformers on the store now, gonna have a look.
The PSP has Ape Escape, if that's any good, but the PSX list is quite good, Rayman 1+2, Tomba 1+2(need to play these myself), Oddworld 1+2, Pandemonium 1+2(probably not worth the chance, pure marmite, might download the first myself though), Mickeys Wild Adventure, Monsters Inc, A Bugs Life, Castlevania Symphony Of The Night, Toy Story, Hercueles, Gex 1-2-3, and a few who's rep I'm unsure of.

Need to get Alundra and Grandia myself, though they're not platformers...

Alock1

The PSP has Ape Escape, if that's any good, but the PSX list is quite good, Rayman 1+2, Tomba 1+2(need to play these myself), Oddworld 1+2, Pandemonium 1+2(probably not worth the chance, pure marmite, might download the first myself though), Mickeys Wild Adventure, Monsters Inc, A Bugs Life, Castlevania Symphony Of The Night, Toy Story, Hercueles, Gex 1-2-3, and a few who's rep I'm unsure of.

Need to get Alundra and Grandia myself, though they're not platformers...
Cheers for the recommendations.
Castlevania is such a fecking awesome game - I guess I could give it a replay. Was also a big fan of the Hercules game; although I think I remember it wasn't actually that good, I just loved it anyway. GeX, Tomba and Ape Escape I'm going to look into and make a decision on. Also noticed Mega Man remake (SNES) is in the PSP section, great game so will probably buy that.

I'm considering Enslaved: Odyssey to the West and/or Sonic Generations on my 360.

I haven't enjoyed a Sonic platformer in a long time, but I haven't brought one for a long time either - and this actually got pretty good reviews. Anybody played either of these?

Enslaved just looks awesome.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
Heh, I remember the same about Hercules, makes no sense. Didn't see the Mega Man in the PSP section, could go for that, don't think I've ever played one of them.

Afraid I don't know about them 360 games.

EDIT: Just now I noticed the Metal Slug games, they're supposed to be quite awesome, but I'd imagine far more shooty than jumpy.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
Hercules is the only game I've ever taken back to a shop. Not because it was crap, it was just ridiculously easy. Wish I'd kept it now though.

Alock1

Mega Man games are brilliant!!

Alock1

Naughty Dog fecked up Crash Bandicoot with number 3. Well, not fecked up, it was still great - but the vehicle obsession was so unnecessary and the vehicles were mostly shit to use and horribly awkward.
The tiger racing is always fun with Coco though - was playing it earlier on the Vita, lots of fun. Not quite as good as Crash on polar in Cortex Strikes Back (no.2) though.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
Naughty Dog fecked up Crash Bandicoot with number 3. Well, not fecked up, it was still great - but the vehicle obsession was so unnecessary and the vehicles were mostly shit to use and horribly awkward.
The tiger racing is always fun with Coco though - was playing it earlier on the Vita, lots of fun. Not quite as good as Crash on polar in Cortex Strikes Back (no.2) though.
3 was a good game, 1 and 2 were immense games. Polar was brilliant.

Alock1

I'll have to check that out after the Revs game, his review of CTR you linked before was perfect.
You watched that? :)

Yeah, I loved it too and this one. I had no idea it was 15 minutes, which is a long time for a game review we've already played years ago. But I enjoyed it.

Alock1

Not getting a 'seal of approval' from Olly on Crash Bandicoot games feels offensive.

It's like a glitch on the Crash Bandicoot name and the reputation it has amassed as a great platformer.

3d haterz gon hate!
Mario fanboyz gon hate?!

That's right Olly, I said it. Come at me, bro.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
Not getting a 'seal of approval' from Olly on Crash Bandicoot games feels offensive.

It's like a glitch on the Crash Bandicoot name and the reputation it has amassed as a great platformer.

3d haterz gon hate!
Mario fanboyz gon hate?!

That's right Olly, I said it. Come at me, bro.
:lol: I've hardly played them. When I used to play my PS1 a lot I was usually playing Fifa, V-Rally, Driver, PGA Tour, Hogs of War... apart from Rayman and MediEvil I didn't have many platformers for it.

Alock1

:lol: I've hardly played them. When I used to play my PS1 a lot I was usually playing Fifa, V-Rally, Driver, PGA Tour, Hogs of War... apart from Rayman and MediEvil I didn't have many platformers for it.
Bro..

do you even lift?

Alock1

In all seriousness, I highly recommend them even today! Especially Cortex Strikes Back (no.2)- you don't need to have played the first either.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
Bro..

do you even lift?
feck yeah, I can lift a whole bag of potatoes without any help.

Hogs of War, now that was a game! Shame there was never sequels or remakes.

MediEvil was brilliant as well, though I think it was the 2nd I played.
There was a sequel announced for PS2, Wii and DS a few years back but I guess it's been abandoned for a while now :(

In all seriousness, I highly recommend them even today! Especially Cortex Strikes Back (no.2)- you don't need to have played the first either.
I'll see if I can find them cheap next time I'm on a gaming bargain hunt.