The Platformer Video Game Thread

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
feck yeah, I can lift a whole bag of potatoes without any help.

There was a sequel announced for PS2, Wii and DS a few years back but I guess it's been abandoned for a while now :(

I'll see if I can find them cheap next time I'm on a gaming bargain hunt.
They're available on the PS3 if you have one? Also emulation of course but I get the impression that you aren't the sort of scum who resorts to this, y'know, like KingEric.

Seriously, fecking awesome games. Everybody else (surely) agrees - you'll be forever be remembered as the guy who 'hates Crash Bandicoot' if you don't try them. And if you try them and you don't like them, it just means you're evil and the gaming Gods will kill you - so no pressure.

Talking games and replaying old ones really brings out the geek in me. And realizing so and admitting it brings out the gimp in me.

Alock1

I thought Worms was always much better than Hogs of War.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
They're available on the PS3 if you have one? Also emulation of course but I get the impression that you aren't the sort of scum who resorts to this, y'know, like KingEric.
Yeah I do have one but I'd rather get the physical copies, and nope I don't use emulators :lol:

I'll definitely try them sometime.
Talking games and replaying old ones really brings out the geek in me. And realizing so and admitting it brings out the gimp in me.
I noticed... :lol:

Alock1

Yeah I do have one but I'd rather get the physical copies, and nope I don't use emulators :lol:

I'll definitely try them sometime.

I noticed... :lol:
Fair enough, I hope you enjoy them if you get chance.

And well, yeah, mostly, my mates are knobs; they're the type who think platformers are for kids and hate JRPGs - so if I can't be a gimp here....

-----------------
So - I just played the Sonic Generations demo - unless some people here have anything particularly bad to say about it, I'ma order it tomorow morning for sure. I loved it - demo level was Green Hills. You had a class 2D version of the level, but also a 3D modern re-imagined version which was stunning. It brought back lots of cool memories, but definitely is more than just a replay it seems.

Was incredibly surprised, it's been so long since I liked a Sonic game. I know I only played the demo, but I'm expecting good things.

Dante

Average bang
FFS. I thought that said "Sonic Generations Trailer Fail". I watched the whole bloody thing waiting for something funny to happen.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
Fair enough, I hope you enjoy them if you get chance.

And well, yeah, mostly, my mates are knobs; they're the type who think platformers are for kids and hate JRPGs - so if I can't be a gimp here...
I was only kidding :D

So, I get the impression you prefer 3D platformers? :p
FFS. I thought that said "Sonic Generations Trailer Fail". I watched the whole bloody thing waiting for something funny to happen.
Now that's a fail.

Alock1

Crash mixes 3D and 2D btw. Well, sometimes side scrolling but I guess technically always 3D as you could come closer to the screen or further away.

I don't inherently prefer 3D, but I had a Sega Mega Drive first then Playstation then Nintendo which has highly influenced my favourite platformers. Sonic was my first and favourite, and 2D of course (back then).

Became a big fan of Mario, Donkey Kong and Rayman later on but Crash and Spyro are my favourites because they came first and I associated the genre (childhood gaming) with them in general.

Have to agree with those giving a shout out to the Prince of Persia games. Brilliant.

Btw, Limbo is another recommendation of mine. Though I imagine a lot of you have already played it.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
I have one of the PoP games on the Xbox 360 that I haven't played yet.

I tried the demo of Limbo and enjoyed it. Maybe I should get that with the MS points card I've got.

Alock1

I have one of the PoP games on the Xbox 360 that I haven't played yet.

I tried the demo of Limbo and enjoyed it. Maybe I should get that with the MS points card I've got.
Trine 2 first if you havent played it!! Well, the demo is fantastic anyway - waiting for my Wii U to play it.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Has any one mentioned Ducktales on the NES yet? That was a great platformer.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
Why didn't anyone tell me Mega Man is so hard? I'll just crouch to avoid that bomb, *bang*, alright can't crouch, look at that flying cnut, I'll just shoot up, *bang*, can't shoot at an angle either..... Look at that small gap, should easily jump that, there goes that life......

Great fun regardless, :lol:
Has any one mentioned Ducktales on the NES yet? That was a great platformer.
That was remade for the 360, and maybe the PS3, was very disappointed they didn't include the Vita.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Duck Tails is one of my all time favourites!

Super Star Wars was another brilliant platformer!

Alock1

That's the GameBoy Advance one right? That was awesome indeed. Had that and Shaun Palmer snowboarding when I first got my GBA. Brilliant fun.

Not a typical platformer, and I don't want to start the thread dying by mentioning every game with platforming elements - but I feel Portal needs some mention in here. A truly brilliant puzzle platformer.

Alock1

I don't even remember which of my phones I had this on. I think it was a Nokia.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
I played a bit of a GBC one many years ago, can't say I properly familiar, remember it being notably harder then Mario.
Yeah it can be a little tricky, especially when trying to find all the items.

That's the GameBoy Advance one right? That was awesome indeed.
Yep, love the art style and music :drool:

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
Why didn't anyone tell me how awesome this "Mega Man" fellow is. I need to find a Zero game though. Is there any game where you can play as the Mavericks, that Storm Eagle looks like a don.

Next thing you know, it'll turn out that that Castlevania thing is a'ight too.

Alock1

Castlevania is brilliant!!!
I love Mega-Man, it's actually challenging.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
Oh... I've never heard of that one. Well TBH I only have Mega Man X and there's quite a lot of Mega Man games, so there's probably quite a few that I haven't heard of.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
Oh... I've never heard of that one. Well TBH I only have Mega Man X and there's quite a lot of Mega Man games, so there's probably quite a few that I haven't heard of.
It's a remake of X, apparently. Flashier graphics for the PSP and a few tweaks to how some bosses attack. Shuffled all the important items too.

Bross

Noggie Pez Dispenser
Chillin with Giggsy at the Retardment Castle
Why didn't anyone tell me Mega Man is so hard? I'll just crouch to avoid that bomb, *bang*, alright can't crouch, look at that flying cnut, I'll just shoot up, *bang*, can't shoot at an angle either..... Look at that small gap, should easily jump that, there goes that life......

Great fun regardless, :lol:
You never played Mega Man before? Games were harder back then. I used 1 million attempts at the QuickMan stage on Mega Man 2 I think :lol: I was just a kid but shit that was trial and error gaming.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
You never played Mega Man before? Games were harder back then. I used 1 million attempts at the QuickMan stage on Mega Man 2 I think :lol: I was just a kid but shit that was trial and error gaming.
Never, I mean, I've played as X(I think) and Zero in Mavel V Capcom, doubt that counts though! :lol: