The players who practically never scored a goal

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
The one who frustrated me was Carrick.

I mean, yes he scored more than whose in this thread but I always felt if he had taken more risks his technique would have got him 10 goals a season.

Look how many shots Fernandes takes. No wonder he scores so many it's a stats game. Carrick often got into similar spaces near the edge but wouldn't strike it.
Wasn't there a period where he scored a few penalties, he took one in the 2008 CL final IIRC. Then he missed one at Burnley in 2009 season (straight after Ronaldo left so was clearly an audition) and seems that was the end of him taking them in normal games.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Sorry just remembered an obvious one, Dominic Solanke.

Bournemouth signed him for 19m in January 2019 and he's still to score a premier league goal for them!

Also didn't score at Chelsea or Liverpool although of course he got very few games at both.

Made for life though (apparently he was on 40k a week at Chelsea, Liverpool made him a better offer and god knows what Bournemouth are paying him now).

welshwingwizard

Wasn't there a period where he scored a few penalties, he took one in the 2008 CL final IIRC. Then he missed one at Burnley in 2009 season (straight after Ronaldo left so was clearly an audition) and seems that was the end of him taking them in normal games.
I'm not sure. He premier league website has him as scoring 0 penalties with one big chance missed so that maybe right.

But even if he wasn't on set pieces he should have scored more. In 481 league games he only scored 24 goals. Yet he had 23% shooting accuracy. Was so frustrating he didn't try his luck more.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Dennis Diekmeier has scored 1 goal in his career in bundesliga 1 and 2 and it took about 260 games for it to score and as he only just scored there weren’t any fans in the stadium to celebrate it
Hahaha. Mention him in the post above yours. How random!

Davìd Moyéz

Jaap Stam only scored once for us in 120+ games.

Having said that he had a decent scoring record elsewhere.

Josh 76

Sorry just remembered an obvious one, Dominic Solanke.

Bournemouth signed him for 19m in January 2019 and he's still to score a premier league goal for them!

Also didn't score at Chelsea or Liverpool although of course he got very few games at both.

Made for life though (apparently he was on 40k a week at Chelsea, Liverpool made him a better offer and god knows what Bournemouth are paying him now).
That's crazy

Obscure one, but Michael Parkhurst played a few years for my MLS team. Veteran centreback who was extremely good on the ball and had excellent positioning/reading of the game, but didn't even go forwards for corners because he was small and weak. Scored a few while playing in Denmark (even played in the champion's league!), but only had 1 goal in over 300 MLS appearances. The goal was from the halfway line:

Red Keane

Lilian Thuram only scored 2 goals in 142 Games for the French National Team. Fortunately for Les Bleus, they both helped get France get to a World Cup Final...

a_devil_inside

Big footed hermaphrodite
Always thought Gary Neville should have had more with all the overlapping and linking with Beckham down that right side, but his shooting was often some of the worst I've seen.

Gazza

Slightly off topic, but I remember being disappointed by Jesper Blomqvist’s goal record for us, at least in his one full season before injuries. One goal in all comps, against Everton I think. Was he more prolific at Parma or his previous clubs?

InterFan1998

Supports
Internazionale
Davide Santon. 214 career games, 1 goal (Newcastle).

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Abidal - played for Barca, Lyon, Lille, Monaco. He scored 5 goals in 446 games, 2 for Barca, 2 for Lyon and 1 for Lille.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout

I mean, yes he scored more than whose in this thread but I always felt if he had taken more risks his technique would have got him 10 goals a season.

Look how many shots Fernandes takes. No wonder he scores so many it's a stats game. Carrick often got into similar spaces near the edge but wouldn't strike it.
His first season he and Scholes took turns to get forward and he scored a decent amount (6, Scholes got 7).
Since then he's always played in a much deeper role. The second goal in this video, or his opener against Roma, would be impossible for the position he later had. His next best scoring season was 09/10 (5) which I always remember as one of his worst overall, and 2012/13 when he was in the PL TOTY he scored only 2.
He probably should have shot more, but his role further from goal balanced all the teams he was in.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Wan Bissaka never score a single goal in his whole career (0 goal in 81 games), but he is only 22.

norm87cro

Midfielder Jordan Henderson hasn't scored a single goal since his debut for the England senior national team 10 years ago (55 caps) but has successfuly convinced both Klopp and Southgate that he is captain material.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Paulo Ferreira

9 years, 1 Champions League, 1 Europa League, 3 PL titles, 4 FA Cups, 2 League Cups and only 2 goals.

Never scored in a PL game and never scored for his country (62 apps)

Redcy

Aliadiere has to be the worst example of striker with poor stats surely:

In his time in England 127 appearances for 17 goals, for an out and out striker/forward.

He had a breief resurgence in the Ligue 1 with Lorient where he got 33 goals in 101 appearances, however the stats appear to be padded by one season of the five, his second, when he scored 19 in 37. Meaning that outside that one season he was still a one in 4 striker. Dreadful.

50 goals in 238 appearances

Redcy

Victor Anichebe - Everton

267 appearances - 42 goals

Awful player, I remember him coming in as strong powerful striker. Did absolutely nothing.

Seems I was wrong about the worst striker...

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I always felt Stam should've got more goals for us considering his dominance in the air.

zakk88

Supports
Chelsea
Claude Makelele
17 goals in 607 career apps
2 goals in 144 apps for chelsea
No goal in 94 apps for Real Madrid

United58

Gary Neville - I'm sure he had the record for most outfield England appearances without a goal until Ashley Cole overtook him

Redcy

Oh god memories are flooding back from Champ Manager:

Yaya Sanogo - 148 appearances - 36 goals. Again though 10 of those goals came from 13 games in Ligue 2 in the 12/13 season, just before he moved to Arsenal. So I decided to have a look at what happened in that 12/13 season. He scores 10 of those goals in 5 games, with 4 in one. So he was always a terrible striker who had a handful of games where he turned up.

Redcy

Luka Modric - Here was a player who many would consider top class, couldn't half hit a ball too.

569 appearances with only 61 goals, barely ever getting above the 6 per season mark.

Redcy

Radebe is another of those big defenders you would expect to be up at corners and nodding the odd one in. 2 goals in 235 appearances.

RyRy11

Probably doesn’t fit the criteria but Shane Long’s Southampton career considering he’s a “Striker”.. 35 goals in 205 appearances

Redcy

Probably doesn’t fit the criteria but Shane Long’s Southampton career considering he’s a “Striker”.. 35 goals in 205 appearances
I didn't just look at one club, mainly because the stand out is Altidore who played 70 games at Hull scoring 2 goals. Played well before and after that relatively

Patchbeard

If Solanke keeps his current record up he'll be the GOAT at this. Great record at international youth level and even got an England cap in 2017, but so far in the Premier League he has 1 goal in 56 appearances, albeit only 19 have been starts. Time is on his side, but it seems like his level is Championship at best at the moment.

The Original

Carrick was often the deeper lying midfield much like Matic... I remember wanting him to shoot more too but the reality is by the time a player of his nature makes his way to the edge of the box, most of the opposition would be in front of him. The better option would be to pass.