The Positive Thread (warning - no reactionary posts here)

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
This game confirms flaws we already knew exist such as Lindelof's ability and the overdependence on Rashford and it will mean we'll have a strong summer. I don't see any scenario that we don't invest in a CB or a Winger now. None of the penalty takers are to blame today, this has made the decision to either play Henderson or invest in a goalkeeper, that much easier.

Overall, we defeated many strong teams in this Europa League campaign, such as Roma, Milan and Sociedad, we didn't have it easy at all. We had a decent Premier League season and young players like Greenwood will be even stronger next season. On to a good Summer hopefully. Don't beat yourselves up over this.

Jericholyte2

Positive: Ole can use this to show the Glazers that the squad needs improving. We cannot have players playing 55-60 games in a season!

RedIan

We spent a lot of money last summer, DVB and amed, theres £80mil - both bench players, we need to buy someone who improves on what we have and who is actually picked to play.

BlueHaze

I think you forgot who our owners are when you say we'll have a "strong summer"

valeron21

Gutted we didn’t get the win tonight , however losing a final is a step forward since last year. I question whether ole is good enough to lead utd to a title, how ever , we have to remember the shambles he inherited .. mourinho had us on the knees , but the best ole has done is stop the leaks from the changing room. Get a positive attitude from the players (evidenced by multiple comebacks) they seem happy . For me I think it’s a case of slowly getting rid of players that have the old philosophies and fading them out and giving him enough time to get the personalities he wants.. just up to ole to hire better coaches , ole is clearly a good man manager and is v good at facing the media , but he can hire a few progressive football coaches and we’ll ride into glory !

Reactions: Cheimoon

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
I was surprised we scored 10 pens and most of them were top notch. I was certain fred and lindelof would bottle it but they put it away, infact fred's was the best one.

DDG got his hands on the ball twice, a bit of luck and we'd have won.

JB7

We spent a lot of money last summer, DVB and amed, theres £80mil - both bench players, we need to buy someone who improves on what we have and who is actually picked to play.
£35m + £18m = £80m?

Hughie77

Game was thereto be won, frailaties that has dogged this side in certain games, came again, set piece defending, and unable to break down a side that played 5-5-1, ran out of ideas and it's a learning curve, I new we wernt favs tonight only other people who havent realy watched us all season. And I think they went on holiday after the villa game, job done top 4 . Need 3 players in summer and we go again. It's just not our day 1 off finals get some lose some.

BlueHaze

No offence but this probably isn't the right thread for you. We'll be backed this summer because of the events a few weeks ago.
How can you say that with such certainty though? I'm not too sure about that. I hope they will but don't expect anything out of the ordinary at all.

FatTails

I was surprised we scored 10 pens and most of them were top notch. I was certain fred and lindelof would bottle it but they put it away, infact fred's was the best one.

True. It does come down to fine margins when two top, behemoth, clubs with some of the best paid players are playing each other.

We were so close, but Foyth, Parejo, Bacca, Capoue, and Albiol are class and were not easy to match.

We need to spend more, I think. 200m in the summer and I see us maybe winning the EL next season.

Halftrack

It shows investment is needed, I guess. Hopefully a crushing final defeat will be a hard-learned lesson for Ole and the players.
Positive1: we might actually get a competent manager sooner rather later.

Positive2: the number of deluded people on this forum should hopefully tend to 0.
Feck off to another thread. You don't have to spew your shit everywhere ffs.

Robbo*

Not happy with Ole after tonight. I’ve been to almost all of the games he’s managed other than lockdown ones and see some progress but do think that the last 15 or so games this season we’ve given up the ghost sequentially on the trophies we’ve been competing for. Tonight was unforgivable, but I was most concerned with the Leicester cup game where he rested players and that led us into the final 4/5 league games where we embarrassed ourselves further. Part of me thinks he lacks the critical thinking / cutting edge to have formulated a plan to win at least something this season, and now he looks stupid. From my perspective, this isn’t progress when looking at this season as a whole despite the fact that we’ve been better away from home in the league. Can he improve it next year after 2.5 years trying? Hope so.

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
Was about to start a similar thread.

There are many other threads to moan in. So please guys, this is not the thread for moaning.

As for me, I am happy with the squad chemistry. For me it’s the first step in any rebuilding. Get them to play for each other and push each other to greater heights. I don’t see any primadonnas, maybe except for Pogba but he’s mellowed down significantly recently.

It was a long season without a pre-season, and with a small-ish squad with loads of injuries/unfit players, and with a pandemic limitations too. And still we lasted till the end.

Hats off to the team.

cyril C

If I stand in for DDG, I would have saved 2 goals, just standing still.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
If I stand in for DDG, I would have saved 2 goals, just standing still.
He stayed still for one, then the very next pen goes down the middle. I bet the villareal player thought he won't stay still again when the first one was unsuccessful.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Positive things is, we could now realize our shortcomings and hopefully would spend big and wise this summer.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Positive things is, we could now realize our shortcomings and hopefully would spend big and wise this summer.
A true optimist.

Seriously though, the only way to respond to this loss is by making this summer a statement of intent. If we feck around and have the same summer we've had the past few years, then next season is going to be a waste of time where we at best get top 4 and then hope for a slice of luck in a smaller cup.

Luke1995

Positive is more european big game experience for the players. Sometimes losing a final can act as a massive personal motivator. X players may come back next season with a burning desire to win everything

Martial

Overall a definite improvement over last season. Everyone would have bitten your hand off for a comfortable 2nd place league finish. I'll take it.

And at least it wasn't Arsenal we just lost to in that final. And at least it was only the Europa League.

Castia

I’m hopeful that we can have a good summer window and improve the squad that’s a positive I suppose.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Overall a definite improvement over last season. Everyone would have bitten your hand off for a comfortable 2nd place league finish. I'll take it.

And at least it wasn't Arsenal we just lost to in that final. And at least it was only the Europa League.
Nah. The requirement was top 4 and a trophy. Not a good season to just finish 2nd when we failed to win a trophy.

SAFMUTD

Gutted we didn’t get the win tonight , however losing a final is a step forward since last year. I question whether ole is good enough to lead utd to a title, how ever , we have to remember the shambles he inherited .. mourinho had us on the knees , but the best ole has done is stop the leaks from the changing room. Get a positive attitude from the players (evidenced by multiple comebacks) they seem happy . For me I think it’s a case of slowly getting rid of players that have the old philosophies and fading them out and giving him enough time to get the personalities he wants.. just up to ole to hire better coaches , ole is clearly a good man manager and is v good at facing the media , but he can hire a few progressive football coaches and we’ll ride into glory !
As if going from losers to happy losers was an improvement. Having a happy squad counts for shit if you don't win, I don't know why people keep repeating this "happy squad" argument as if it was something worth mentioning.

Giggs86

Positive: We might start looking for a goalkeeper that can do better than 0 penalty saves out of fecking 36!!

lex talionis

We’re bringing in two top names this summer, hopefully to address the holes at RW and CB.

Nori-

I hope this means the owners will spend big now the reality of how far behind we are is. Unlikely but lets see.

meamth

Villareal, like Arsenal said was playing cnuts tactics to get the win. I think they have better motivation to qualify for CL.

They parked the bus all game after scoring, that's a plus...but yeah. Rashford needs to step up and stay true to his words though.

Event commentators felt it was a performance we dominated, but failed to capitalize on it.

cyril C

Address your concern in 3 para.

If you think Glazer is going to sell the Club at 500m because we are a loser club, go somewhere else, this is not the right forum.

If you think the Club will spend Big, just remind you that we have always been spending big sum, like Di Maria, Sanchez, Pogba, and the loads of junk that LVG bought. So it is not about quantity, it is about quality. If Bailly or Lindelof is like Diaz, Fred like Guodogan, AWB like Chilwell and I am not too greedy, do you think we will have this endless argument on needing new players? And I don't want to compare Gnarby, Davies as such bargain. If only 3/4 of our new recruits are worthy to start, we won't be having this argument at all.

If you think Ole - MU is going to win any knock-out competition with some big names coming in, think again. Rashford was extremely poor last night, Ole dare not sub him out. Even Bruno & Pogba was average, and wait until ??? to replace them. So you think Ole is going to sub out a 3-Haaland, or a 4-Sancho? No, he will push on until 88min, hopefully something will happen. May be we can still win the league if players show up 30 / 38 games, but in cup final, either they show up, or sub out. period. Ole is too afraid to touch his big players.

sugar_kane

We’re building a core group of players who are actual quality, and it feels like we’re a few signings away from being a force to be reckoned with.

We lost the same amount of games as the Champions, we lost the title on draws - get the right signings for this summer and we’re not far off at all.

We’ve also got some fantastic youth players coming through who will improve our squad depth next season.

Tasting cup final defeat will spur these players on next year.

T-Zolla

J-Lo's smaller bottomed younger brother
I like my football on a saturday,Roast beef on sun
its also important to remember the culture that Ole is bringing in, People easily forget about what it felt like watching us under Jose,
and how it felt as a fan to see our team turning on each other during that period. What was happening to luke shaw and pogba to some extent.

Ole and his team have brought back a united culture, its just not quite where is needs to be, I suggest if you are interested there is a book called The First 100 Days 'lessons in leadership from the football bosses' Ole feature's quite heavily in there and its really a good read.

sp_107

I think you forgot who our owners are when you say we'll have a "strong summer"
Glazers failed to improve the stadium and place the proper footballing structure but they invested on the team, we were 2nd to city in last 8 years.

it was on wrong players though becuse we dont have the proper structure.we need to sort that out first

sp_107

Spot on !! Nailed it

The Hilton

Positive1: we might actually get a competent manager sooner rather later.

Positive2: the number of deluded people on this forum should hopefully tend to 0.
There are plenty of other threads you can spew that childish bile in, can't you leave this one for the people it's aimed at?

TheGame

We need to get a striker in, Cavani can't play every game and Martial has been hit and miss. Even more demonstrated by yesterday's performance. That player needs to get us 20-30 goals. Feel that would have made a massive difference to our season. We have got to 2nd without any of the forward options bar Bruno hitting top form.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Positive: clear signs of progression, 2nd in the league, city are so far ahead of others at the moment so positive that we are amongst the front runners to take them on, got to a European final only to lose on penalties. Positive is that we can see the issues with the squad to fix

negatives: fickle fans out in force