The positivity after losing 2-0 to our title winning rivals...

ben.heff10

3-1 last season and Mourinho was sacked the following day. 2-0 is basically a worse result cos at least we scored last season and Solskjaer is talking about positives. This team and club has gone nowhere in 13 months. An utter shite manager with and an utterly shite board and owners. If this continues under this management United will still be utter shite in 12 months time. They are an embarrasment
Did you actually watch either game? Last year we were so so so poor. The atmosphere around the club was toxic, Pogba was dropped, Mourinho looked unhappy. This year we were dominated for a large part of the game but we weren't nearly as poor and probably deserved 2-1. Maybe I'm clutching at straws but although I'm not at all happy with the result (as no fan should be), I was encouraged by our performance especially considering the lineup we had to put out.

Josep Dowling

I like how people like to pretend Kyle Fecking Walker isn't the starting RB for City. Or do you think he's TAA going forward?
You’re kidding right, a couple of seasons ago he was the best RB in the league and was very good going forward. That’s why Pep signed him. Granted he’s dipped as a player in the last 18 months which is why Cancelo is playing more now.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Well, we're rivals in the historic sense, but currently they're so far ahead of us it would be like us playing Leeds in the F.A cup and beating them 2-0, I'm sure they'd be making the same comments about "playing well" and "being a little unlucky" etc.

We're going through a low period, get used to it because it won't be changing for at least a decade.

The United

Was talking about that in Ole's thread. It's honestly weird. Some of our fans have already accepted mediocrity to the core. I won't say to lose their shite but things like these being said after a loss to our historical rival just shows how standards have dropped.

TBF I think that has been Ole's and Ed's biggest achievement as a manager and a CEO so far, to convince everyone being 5th and losing 0-2 only to league leader are decent showing.
Of course the standard has been lowered. People who are expecting too much at this point with the squad we have should be worried about their mental health.

We are not playing shit this season with a 2007 - 2008 squad.

The United

What are you talking about? We routinely do not get played off the park at Anfield under SAF. yes we have lost occasionally but we always beat them at OT.
We usually had a hard time at anfield under SAF. The games were not pretty even when we won.

And it was when pool back then was as shit as we are right now if not more.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
You’re kidding right, a couple of seasons ago he was the best RB in the league and was very good going forward. That’s why Pep signed him. Granted he’s dipped as a player in the last 18 months which is why Cancelo is playing more now.
The point is Kyle Walker was never known for being great going forward. He was known for having pace, strength, and tackling ability at Spurs. His praise for going forward was mainly due to how dominant City were offensively and he's simply regressed back to his usual self. He was never known as this TAA caliber fullback going forward. That just isn't true.

Acole9

Outstanding
He's just setting us up so he doesn't lose his job, this is just so wrong. He needs to have some self respect and do what's best for the club and the fans and just go.

prateik

Is there anything wrong with being realistic? Or do we want to be deluded and living in the past?

I am not in charge of the clubs transfers.. There is no question we should be in a lot better position than we are and there is no question we should have a lot better squad than we have...

We went into the season a midfielder short, and then have our top 2 midfielders out..
Didnt replace our most expensive striker, went in a striker short and then lost our first choice to injury. Martial up top then means there is no left winger.

all this on top of us already needing someone for the right wing.. for years.. we are asking a kid from the championship, who prefers playing from the left and should ideally have been a squad player being eased in, to cover on the right.

Going away to a side having a record breaking season, with that squad.. the best hope we had was a minor miracle. or if they totally fecked it up.

Didnt happen.

Do you want people to be pretend mad?

The concern now is not having McT, Pogba.. and Rashford.. We need 2 signings and get Pogba fit... somehow...

Ed fecking woodward needs to feck off.

Josep Dowling

The point is Kyle Walker was never known for being great going forward. He was known for having pace, strength, and tackling ability at Spurs. His praise for going forward was mainly due to how dominant City were offensively and he's simply regressed back to his usual self. He was never known as this TAA caliber fullback going forward. That just isn't true.
Pep is not going to sign a full back that can’t go forward. It’s one of the most important positions for his style of football.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Pep is not going to sign a full back that can’t go forward. It’s one of the most important positions for his style of football.
Did you watch Kyle Walker at Spurs? Are you really going to pretend he was this considered great talent going forward? And given Pep has shoehorned players like Zinchenko at fullback and City tend to attack primarily through the middle, the second sentence isn't true either.

Asger

"it was a decent enough performance"

"Can't fault the effort"

"Played really well"

"It's okay to lose a game like this"

"Still least we weren't embarrassed"

"Great performance from the lads"

"Brilliant fight to overcome those intense periods."

"We showed great spirit, a proper derby game."

"And us? We’re not that bad."

"Great fight shown by players"

"I can't say I am terribly disappointed overall"

"gave a really good account of ourselves in the end"

"2-0 is ok I guess"

"Good game"

Now THIS I agree with:

"Ole and a lot of United fans will be thrilled by that result. Because we showed fight, or character or some other shite you say to counsel losers."

How the standards have slipped. Putting up with this absolute shite will pave our way into potential decades of mediocrity.
When you see the quality of the players we have this results is not that bad. But its disappointed that the owners and Ed and co have done this to the club. We still have players in the squad that wasn’t even good enough when Fergie was here!

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
0-0 at Anfield just two seasons ago. Mourinho and the players were crucified on here and in the media for the performance. Standards have indeed slipped.
Eh? Completely different season. At the time Liverpool were shipping goals for fun and we were scoring for fun and we went there and just parked the bus. That’s why he was crucified. Liverpool now are the best defensive team in the league and we are a young team who were depleated with injuries. Fair enough if people wanted to take some positives. Your example is just utter shite and a fine example of the nonsense, out of context, hollow comparisons you see on the internet every day.

el3mel

Of course the standard has been lowered. People who are expecting too much at this point with the squad we have should be worried about their mental health.

We are not playing shit this season with a 2007 - 2008 squad.
That's how it starts, then you get used to mediocrity and start accepting it as normal.

The United

That's how it starts, then you get used to mediocrity and start accepting it as normal.
Realistically for an average fan, you just have to accept it until we have a squad to compete at the top. There is no divine right for united to be on top of the table every season.

Just getting on a fan forum outraging about the performance and result every time we lose does not help any.

Many of us have been doing it for years. Didn't help a single thing.

el3mel

Realistically for an average fan, you just have to accept it until we has a squad to compete at the top. There is no divine right for united to be on top of the table every season.
The belief and atmosphere around United, just like any other big club, must be that we shouldn't be anywhere away from the top 3 at bare minimum and anything else is an unsatisfactory season, otherwise we will end up being caught in these transitional and rebuilding projects for years and will find ourselves +20 years without a title like previously Liverpool or even Arsenal.

lex talionis

We went for it at Anfield but came up short against the top club on the planet -- as measured by recent trophies. I'm disappointed with the result but happy with the effort and, at times, glimpses of quality.

But we're short on talent right now and need to deal with that now (Bruno) and during the summer

SteveW

"it was a decent enough performance"

"Can't fault the effort"

"Played really well"

"It's okay to lose a game like this"

"Still least we weren't embarrassed"

"Great performance from the lads"

"Brilliant fight to overcome those intense periods."

"We showed great spirit, a proper derby game."

"And us? We’re not that bad."

"Great fight shown by players"

"I can't say I am terribly disappointed overall"

"gave a really good account of ourselves in the end"

"2-0 is ok I guess"

"Good game"

Now THIS I agree with:

"Ole and a lot of United fans will be thrilled by that result. Because we showed fight, or character or some other shite you say to counsel losers."

How the standards have slipped. Putting up with this absolute shite will pave our way into potential decades of mediocrity.
Nope. It's being realistic.

Nobody is happy with the situation. But the lads gave a decent effort today for the level they're at. Even fecking Keane said so. Is he embracing mediocrity too?

The United

The belief and atmosphere around United, just like any other big club, must be that we shouldn't be anywhere away from the top 3 at bare minimum and anything else is an unsatisfactory season, otherwise we will end up being caught in these transitional and rebuilding projects for years and will find ourselves +20 years without a title like previously Liverpool or even Arsenal.
We might end up being shit for many years or we might turn it around from next season. There is no way to tell.

Like I said, outraging over some fans trying to be positive in the middle of season with the squad we have does not make a point.

Also, talking about losing to pool at anfield, these games are tight. We routinely got outplayed and even beaten for a few years in a row there under SAF against some of their worst teams. Today result adds nothing special to the outrage. We all know we need to improve. Not just to beat them at Anfield. To compete at the top.

sport2793

Nothing wrong to be pissed about the result but context is everything. If you choose to ignore that and just whine and moan, then well, you belong here!

el3mel

We might end up being shit for many years or we might turn it around from next season. There is no way to tell.

Like I said, outraging over some fans trying to be positive in the middle of season with the squad we have does not make a point.

Also, talking about losing to pool at anfield, these games are tight. We routinely got outplayed and even beaten for a few years in a row there under SAF against some of their worst teams. Today result adds nothing special to the outrage. We all know we need to improve. Not just to beat them at Anfield. To compete at the top.
I honestly can't find any positivity in any loss. The thread wasn't saying we should lose our shite after such a loss but we shouldn't be positive or thinking it was a good performance either. The result today was expected, however there is nothing you can take out of it or any other loss in general.

Betson

Expectations are so low these days , getting top 4 would seem like a 'great' season , biggest club in the world , your having a a laugh.

But the squad is so poor even with everyone fully fit we are so far off the pace of the top teams. It has been a rapid spiral into mediocrity.

Denis79

I'll never feel positive losing to the rats, sorry. ...and Souness can feck off can't stand the prick as much as I can't stand his club.

Hawks2008

Bootlickers gonna bootlick.

Don't have any standards for the club or have any doubts just blindly support a shit manager simply because he is the manager.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Realistically for an average fan, you just have to accept it until we have a squad to compete at the top. There is no divine right for united to be on top of the table every season.

Just getting on a fan forum outraging about the performance and result every time we lose does not help any.

Many of us have been doing it for years. Didn't help a single thing.
Accepting mediocrity won't help either. It's not merely a case of our players not good enough but more importantly those running the show being so. The longer we don't fix that, the further we will be from actually closing the gap.

bonothom

Did you actually watch either game? Last year we were so so so poor. The atmosphere around the club was toxic, Pogba was dropped, Mourinho looked unhappy. This year we were dominated for a large part of the game but we weren't nearly as poor and probably deserved 2-1. Maybe I'm clutching at straws but although I'm not at all happy with the result (as no fan should be), I was encouraged by our performance especially considering the lineup we had to put out.
I'm never encouraged by losing. I look at our league position regardless who we have in the team and it's depressing. Not challenging for the major honours year after year, its just depressing. A football club that's its in decline despite the ridiculous rhetoric coming out of the managers mouth about projects and building for the future. We are the now the equivalent in football terms of Crystal Palace. A plucky underdog who goes to a top team and finds positives in the fact we didn't lose by 4 or 5 and on the odd occasion nabs a point at a place we weren't meant to.

Eddy_JukeZ

You shouldn't be surprised OP.

Plenty of fans who criticized Mourinho heavily are now excusing Ole.

Standards have been severely lowered.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Kyle Walker is Dani Alves compared to Wan Bissaka in terms of going forward.
Not in a million years. Kyle Walker is bang average going forward. He just has pace and looks better playing for a side with some of the best midfielders and attackers in the world. Even if you think he's good now, that means AWB can still improve as well.

Eddy_JukeZ

Not in a million years. Kyle Walker is bang average going forward. He just has pace and looks better playing for a side with some of the best midfielders and attackers in the world. Even if you think he's good now, that means AWB can still improve as well.
You misinterpreted my post.

I don't think Walker is good going forward. He used to be better, but has declined lately.

It's just that Wan Bissaka is that bad going forward, that he makes Walker look like Dani Alves in comparison.

Marcus

We were cremated. VAR, DDG prevented a landslide victory for Liverpool. Yes we were still in the match at 1-0 so there was good attacking intent for a couple of minutes towards the end. But honestly, we shouldn't have only be trailing by one goal.

Last edited:

Eddy_JukeZ

Champions League winning clubs the past 10 years have all had a great attacking full-back or even two.

2019 Liverpool: Robertson and TAA
Real Madrid 3 straight: Marcelo and Carvajal
2015 Barcelona: Dani Alves and Alba
2014 Real Madrid: Carvajal and Coentrao(Marcelo came on as a sub).
2013 Bayern: Lahm and Alaba
2012 Chelsea: Bosingwa and Cole
2011 Barcelona: Alves and Abidal
2010 Inter: Maicon and Chivu

So I do think a lot of the recent criticism of Wan Bissaka going forward has merit. He is terrible going forward. I really think it puts a limit to your team's ceiling unless the other full-back like Brandon Williams develops into a great attacking full-back on the opposite side(which could happen).

The United

Accepting mediocrity won't help either. It's not merely a case of our players not good enough but more importantly those running the show being so. The longer we don't fix that, the further we will be from actually closing the gap.
Accepting that we are not competing at the top this season is not accepting mediocrity.

And, how would we fix it? By complaining that some fans were finding positive after a defeat?

Gasolin

I am not positive, but the same tactics work if James put a cross to Martial who was running with 3 defenders behind him btw! It’s a 1to1 guaranteed.

When Martial again makes the run behind VVD, VVD is almost stopped to but James can’t put the ball in front of him for a 1to1 again. When Pereira can’t push his body in the goals with the ball, etc...

We are failing those last passes and actions because the players are shaking mentally right now. Only a few of them have the strong mentality. But it will come because the club is putting the emphasis on the need to be mentally strong again, and we are reducing the mental collapse. Next step is to have a few technical leaders and leaders to lead the team even more and we should be there.

Ole needs some players, needs to drill the mental aspect with the players, maybe we hire a psychologist or someone to put them in confidence no matter what, and then we need to fix the set pieces issue. Forget zonal in set pieces or mix it with.

Even 2 players can change that team dramatically. Really.

I understand the doom and gloom but please don’t think just because I see positive that I find positive in losses. I find positives in the fact that there is someone right now in Ole who cares about the club and is taking the high way to make it click.

And we need to fire the whole medical team for being unable to help managers with the real assessment of players healthy. Get this s*** sorted out really.