The potential relegation fire sale- 22/23

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Anderson - a really competent CB with very good passing who would make us less reliant on our main two options to play every game. Sell Maguire.

Onana/Lavia - Raw, but both full of potential to become proper complete midfielders we do sorely lack.

Gnonto - A genuinely exciting player who would give us pace and menace, as well as a reliable attacker that isn’t Marcus Rashford.

SparkedIntoLife

I'd take, if reasonably priced -

12. Crystal Palace: Johnstone (backup), Guehi (backup), Olise (backup), Eze (backup)

13. Leeds: Meslier (backup), Gnonto (backup), Adams (backup)

14. Wolves: Collins (backup)

15. West Ham: Rice, Aguerd (backup)

16. Everton: Onana (backup)

17. Notts Forest: Danilo (backup)

18. Bournemouth: Ouattara (backup)

19. Leicester: Maddison (backup), Ndidi (backup)

20. Southampton: Bazunu (backup), Bella-Kotchap (backup), Lavia, Walker-Peters, Sulemana (backup), Alcaraz (backup)

croadyman

Anderson - a really competent CB with very good passing who would make us less reliant on our main two options to play every game. Sell Maguire.

Onana/Lavia - Raw, but both full of potential to become proper complete midfielders we do sorely lack.

Gnonto - A genuinely exciting player who would give us pace and menace, as well as a reliable attacker that isn’t Marcus Rashford.
Yeah that Gnonto makes a difference,only need to look when they came to Old Trafford,also when he came on for Italy against England

ROFLUTION

Demarai Gray from Everton for me.

He’d be happy to be a backup player and he has some of the best decision making out there. and can play left, center and right.

Good team player and would make sense for competition for Antony. Very underrated player imo and a case like when Liverpool bought Robertson (albeit another position)

Also Gnonto has high potential

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Only positions we should look for would be GK, DM backup, RB competition, CB backup, DM backup, CM competition or starter, CF starter.

GK - nobody. Backup goalkeeper if we lose all of ours but hardly care about that.

RB - Walker Peters is the only one here. Livramento gets hype but has forever been injured so hard to say.

CB - Bella Kotchap, Guehi

DM - Lavia, Onana, Mendy (Rice isn't coming while Casemiro is here, nor is he a partner for him)

CM - Matheus Nunes, Tielemans, Maddison

CF starter - nobody. We need an elite striker first and foremost. No more projects until we have someone set as a starter that we are sure of. Our squad needs it to compete otherwise we miss our window.

Gordon S

Every time I've watched Onana he's either been bang average or downright bad. What am I missing?
Yeah, not really seeing it either, big, strong athletic guy with some good moments mixed up with some pretty bad stuff. Feels like a bog standard midtable player.

Charlie Foley

I was surprised Nunes went to a club at wolves level although of those clubs it was always going to be Wolves I suppose

Abraxas

I remember we signed Roy Keane from a relegated Forest and he turned out okay. Didn't hurt he was putting in sterling displays for Ireland at the time either though and getting lauded by the likes of Maradona. https://punditarena.com/football/darraghmurphy/roy-keane-diego-maradona/
He was also a young(ish) player. That makes a huge difference with some of these players. If you can see a stand out player for a crap team that is full of potential, that is a selling point.

If they're just above average to good players, experienced players that mostly stand out because they're decent amid championship material players, that's not something which grabs my attention for a club like Man United. Ultimately it comes down to getting quality players that improve our team or quality potential that will improve our team in the future. Buying guys just so a shirt number gets taken or to be a "squad man" is not the way. We're not so good that we can take the liberty of fleshing out a squad.

So when I see people mentioning the likes of JWP, Neves, Andersen, Zaha it makes me wonder what they're supposed to fall into. Is that quality for now, a squad player..?

SAFMUTD

So here we are in the home stretch of another PL campaign and it is closer in the bottom half than ever before. With 9/10 games left, just 7 points separates Crystal Palace in 12th place and Southampton in 20th position.

We as a club have done a lot of things badly over the past decade-plus, and one of them includes not raiding relegated sides for cheap(ish) PL proven backups or maybe even starters. Liverpool snapped up Robertson for a mere £5m when Hull went down, so there is potential for a bargain.

Below I've listed some interesting players at sides that are part of the relegation dogfight. West Ham and Wolves certainly have some quality in them and I'd imagine that the likes of Rice, Neves, and Nunes would attract substantial attention from top sides both here and abroad if they did get relegated. What clubs are you hoping will go down (purely for transfer purposes- not because of hatred or rivalry) and what players would you like to grab as squaddies or as first teamers? It doesn't have to be limited to the players I've outlined below.

12. Crystal Palace: Sam Johnstone, Joachim Anderson, Guehi, Eze, Olise, Zaha, Edouard

13. Leeds: Meslier, Tyler Adams, Gnonto

14. Wolves: Sa, Nathan Collins, Kilman, Moutinho, Neves, Neto, Matheus Nunes, Podence

15. West Ham: Areola, Kehrer, Benrahma, Bowen, Cornet, Paqueta, Rice, Scamacca

16. Everton: Pickford, Onana, Patterson, Calvert-Lewin

17. Notts Forest: Renan Lodi, Gibbs-White, Brennan Johnson

18. Bournemouth: I'm struggling here. Am I missing anyone obvious?

19. Leicester: Faes, James Justin, Harvey Barnes, Maddison, Ndidi, Tielemans

20. Southampton: Bazunu, Bella-Kotchap, Lavia, Livramento, Walker-Peters, Salisu, Sulemana, Ward-Prowse
With the relegation battle being so close with 9 teams involved there are plenty players that we could use.

My top prospects from those 9 teams are Guehi, Matheus Nunes, Rice, Paqueta, Onana, Gibbs White, Brennan Johnson, Maddison, Tielemans, Bella Kotchap and Lavia.

I think besides Rice and Paqueta because of their international status, all the others can be obtained with a huge discount if there respective teams go down.

SoCross

Dango Outtara from Bournemouth is going to be a shrewd pick up for someone .

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
Are they going to buy him and sell him in the same window?
Sorry, meant Iwobi. Ndidi seems to really have tackled off lately. But Iwobi just impresses me a lot every time I see him. He doesn’t get much cred since Everton struggled so much.

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
Nottingham’s Danilo has looked — really —promising the glimpses I’ve seen him. We were linked to him while he still was at Palmeiras:
https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/2105...an-utd-arsenal-danilo-transfer-palmeiras/amp/

I’ve almost been hoping for Nottingham to get relegated to get a shot at getting him. This is how he looked against us in January. He is definitely not someone who like could come in and carry the team, but he got a lot of potential. Could be a perfect understudy to Casemiro.

lex talionis

Maddison and Rice for me. Despite relegation, both would be expensive...but we are looking for quality. Maddison would be outstanding cover for Bruno and could start if/when Bruno is deployed deeper. I'm not sure what Rice is great at, but he would slot right in with Casemiro and Bruno and provide cover for Casemiro if he's targeted for sketchy red cards again next season.

Mmm-Qatarian

I can't quite fathom that some people in here are suggesting Wout Faes. I watch Leicester a fair bit because my brother supports them, and Faes is comfortably worse than any of the four senior centre backs we have at the club already. In fact, I'd go so far as to say he's pretty far below par for a Premier League centre back.

jesperjaap

I think the three things to consider here are:

1) WHo would improve our first eleven and help us be contenders
2) Which players would be cheap and improve us squad wise
3) Which of these players are in positions we really need

For me, out of this list, with premiership prices its hard to find value signings that are etter than they would be on the continent, there are six max that improve our first eleven, and positionally its for me more us being weak in certain arease than the plaers being excellent.

Possible value ones: jOachim Anderson, Eze, Olise, Gibbs White, Tielmans, Bella Kotchap, Sulemana

I really like Eze, but he is still potential, not a big fan of Tielmans, I really like SUlemana but he has struggled so far and he is left sided where we are well served.

The only one I would really consider is Bella-Kotchap, think he is a really good young centre back

In terms of who really improves our first eleven:

Neves, Neto, Matheus Nunes, Rice, Calvert-Lewin, Maddison Lavia, Livramento, Ward-Prowse

Well Livaramento I really really liek but he has been out with a long term injury, so can rule him out at the moment. Calvert-Lewin wouldnt be cheap and has also had injuries and I think we can do much better for not a huge amount more as I think his fee would be unrasonably high and he DOESNT turn us into title contenders. Not fully convinced on the WOlves trio, Nunes is a talent but hasnt proved himself yet.

Rice is quality but £100m wouldnt be my fist choice, Lavia I like but seems a bit defensive when there are slightly more all round players box to box on the continent for similar fees. Ward Prowse is a good player but not a Man Utd quality player, I think Maddison would be good, but we arent going to replace Fernandes with him.

There are a lot of good players there but personally wouldnt consider beyond Bella-Kotchap, Eze, Lavia and RIce and Bella Kotchap if the fee was right is probably the only one I would sign for us.

If I was a team just outside the biggest premiership sides, I dont see anybody bar maybe Spurs and Newcastle signing these players though to be honest

jesperjaap

Maddison and Rice for me. Despite relegation, both would be expensive...but we are looking for quality. Maddison would be outstanding cover for Bruno and could start if/when Bruno is deployed deeper. I'm not sure what Rice is great at, but he would slot right in with Casemiro and Bruno and provide cover for Casemiro if he's targeted for sketchy red cards again next season.
£170m seems a lot to pay for players as cover, as that is what I would think the kind of fees would be. I disagree, though, I think both could start for us in our best eleven personally. Think both are very good but with our crucial need for 1/2 strikers and maybe a different type of central midfielder to Rice, of which there are a few good yougn ones for I expect half the fee of RIce, dont see either happening

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I've always liked Ward-Prowse. Actually surprised nobody has come for him before. He's too good for Southampton whether they stay up or not

foolsgold

I really like Meslier, I think he would be a great fit for our team. He's got all the physical attributes to be a top keeper. Good with his feet too. At 23 he's just coming into his prime years, 100 Premier League games under his belt as well. we should be all over this.

Maddison is surely worth a look too if the price isn't insane. It'd allow us to rotate Bruno and give us much needed depth.

Blood Mage

Would take Lavia and Walker-Peters from Southampton. Maddison definitely if Leicester get relegated but I don't think they will.

Scholsey2004

Any of Ward-Prowse, Maddison and Tielemans would improve us. Walker-Peters would probably be a good signing at right back as well.

Sea-Cow

I think it's very likely it'll be Southampton and Bournemouth going down, and then the other one is harder but could well be Forest.

From those I'd happily take Lavia (I'd want us to sign him regardless if we go down or not) and Gibbs White - his game isn't fully polished yet but he has a lot of talent and would be a great backup AM to rotate with Bruno. Forest aren't broke though so would probably keep him.

From the rest if they did go down I'd pick up any of these for a good, lower price deal for the squad - Zaha, Gnonto, Neves, Rice (but he won't be cheap regardless), Maddison.
Anderson and Tielemans are borderline for me but they're a bit of a coin toss as to whether they'd fit in or not, whereas the rest are very likely to be good for us.
I am a big fan of Gibbs-White and would love it if we brought him in. I know he is playing more advanced these days but I think he could potentially be wonderful as one of the number 8s in a midfield 3. Basically, I think he has the potential and the skill set to be like Fred, but better.

Bondi77

Can we call any of the teams that get relegated Premier League proven?
If not then why would we want their players :houllier:

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Can we call any of the teams that get relegated Premier League proven?
If not then why would we want their players :houllier:
Varane was signed from the team that was relegated from French league, Robertson and Maguire from Hull who were relegated and Wijnaldum from Newcastle when they were relegated.

Except Maguire everyone of them were superb players and world class at certain points in their career.

Bondi77

Varane was signed from the team that was relegated from French league, Robertson and Maguire from Hull who were relegated and Wijnaldum from Newcastle when they were relegated.

Except Maguire everyone of them were superb players and world class at certain points in their career.
Except Maguire :lol: :lol:

roonster09

Scout
Except Maguire :lol: :lol:
Ofcourse, Maguire is nowhere near the level of the other 3 players. At no point he was world class or reached the levels other 3 reached.

That's not even the point, classic case of make some random point and then sidetrack actual point.

Bondi77

Ofcourse, Maguire is nowhere near the level of the other 3 players. At no point he was world class or reached the levels other 3 reached.

That's not even the point, classic case of make some random point and then sidetrack actual point.
It wasn't me that pulled his name into the thread....was it :nono:

roonster09

Scout
It wasn't me that pulled his name into the thread....was it :nono:
Players from relegated team, how hard is it to understand? Named bunch of players who were signed from relegated teams and you somehow thought it would be great idea to make this about Maguire.

Bondi77

Players from relegated team, how hard is it to understand? Named bunch of players who were signed from relegated teams and you somehow thought it would be great idea to make this about Maguire.
Take your agenda to someone that actually gives a feck :lol:

roonster09

Scout
Take your agenda to someone that actually gives a feck :lol:
Agenda? fecking hell how dumb are you :lol:

Or are you Maguire's GF who is offended because I said he isn't superb player?

Wing Attack Plan R

Lavia, Ndidi, Tyler Adams, Neves, JWP. Maybe Zaha if we decide Sancho is cooked.

Assuming a fire sale as stipulated, these would help us have basically a squad and a half, ready to compete in all competitions simultaneously. I’d like to stock up on nippy midfielders.

Never been all that impressed with Rice and Maddison, think they are both good but neither great. I don’t think any of the players going down would walk into our first team without a fight. As such, I doubt many of them would agree to come as bench players. I feel most of these names would end up like Malacia, waiting for an injury to the first team. At fire sale prices though , why not.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
You'd imagine Anderson would look great playing for a side with more of the ball. His long range passing is excellent and he'd slot in well whenever Martinez needs a rest.

Lavia makes sense to replace Fred/McTominay

Beyond that I don't see a need for many of them apart from Rice, but I expect his fee will still be quite high due to amount of suitors.

Wing Attack Plan R

Tevez and Mascherano were signed from West Ham who were saved by goal differential from being relegated, so it’s pretty close to being relegated. As two more examples. Didn’t we also get Michael Owen from Newcasket after he helped ease them into the championship? (Too lazy to confirm, sorry.) point is, lots of good players in shite teams.

roonster09

Scout
Tevez and Mascherano were signed from West Ham who were saved by goal differential from being relegated, so it’s pretty close to being relegated. As two more examples. Didn’t we also get Michael Owen from Newcasket after he helped ease them into the championship? (Too lazy to confirm, sorry.) point is, lots of good players in shite teams.
Exactly, there are so many good players from relegated teams. Also wasn't Roy Keane signed from relegated Nottingham Forest team?

Imagine thinking they all are not PL quality just because their team was relegated.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I like the look of Alcaraz for Southampton as well. Adapted very well straight from Argentina - I know it's only been half a season, but may be worth catching someone like that on the up.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Why is Tielemans still highly rated? He’s average

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
This does make some sense - at least these players are somewhat proven in the prem. I just hope we get some actual volume of signings in this summer. We've spent loads, but in terms of numbers we've not signed many players over the years. That's why we're 2 issues away from McFred, STILL, and have spent a season without a goddamn number 9. At Manchester United!

I can't recall a time in my 30+ years of fandom when there wasn't a backup striker or youth talent to stick up top in the last 20 mins.

We need at least 2 cmfs and at least 2 cfs, so some of those listed could be reasonable 2nd of even 3rd options for those.

justsomebloke

17. Notts Forest: Renan Lodi, Gibbs-White, Brennan Johnson

18. Bournemouth: I'm struggling here. Am I missing anyone obvious?

19. Leicester: Faes, James Justin, Harvey Barnes, Maddison, Ndidi, Tielemans

20. Southampton: Bazunu, Bella-Kotchap, Lavia, Livramento, Walker-Peters, Salisu, Sulemana, Ward-Prowse
Jefferson Lerma and Phillip Billing seem the obvious names? Not that I hope United buys either of them.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
My concern is does he do enough outside of being the second best free tick taker in PL history
He’s great in the press, a very capable passer and crosser and has an incredible work rate and ethic that is hard to find.

daba

So many good options given how many teams are in danger. These are the players we should be looking at IMO:

GK - Johnstone (as a HG back-up)

CB - Anderson, Guehi, Bella-Kotchap (depends if we want more experience or youth)

DM - Lavia

CM - Paqueta

Add in a ST, Diogo Costa and Frimpong from elsewhere and were good.

Honourable mentions: Maddison (would if not for Bruno), Tielemans, Neves, Nunes, Livramento (would probably be up there if not for his injury), Onana, KWP, JWP, etc. All good players but either not quite what we need or not quite of the required level.