Film The Prestige

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Anyone had the pleasure of seeing this film?

Christopher Nolan is building some resumé. Memento, Insomnia, Batman Begins & The Prestige. All superb films. The Dark Knight looks pretty interesting too.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Brilliant... I borrowed this film from my brother and in the same day, after watching it, I was running to the shop to buy it.

David "Tesla" Bowie was brilliant. Andy Serkis was brilliant. Jackman and Bale were very solid and Michael Caine is a feckin legend !

Scarlett Johansson... :drool:

Nolan is on fire... what a cast, what a movie !

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Brilliant... I borrowed this film from my brother and in the same day, after watching it, I was running to the shop to buy it.

David "Tesla" Bowie was brilliant. Andy Serkis was brilliant. Jackman and Bale were very solid and Michael Caine is a feckin legend !

Scarlett Johansson... :drool:

Nolan is on fire... what a cast, what a movie !
I never fully appreciated what a superb pair Scarlett has until this movie.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I quite enjoyed it, even though I saw the twist coming from a mile away. Didn't much like Insomnia though.
Insomnia was very good, but possibly the weak-link if there was one. Memento is genius, and Batman Begins probably couldn't have been any better.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
The movie's made very well but I was slightly underwhelmed because I'd heard so much about it and the 'twist' prior to watching it.The twist was hardly the stuff of genius.

Well made movie though.Bale is a fantastic actor.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Boring and predictable rubbish. Not quite as boring or predictable as The Illusionist mind.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
very good movie, excellent actors, i knew the twist before i watched the movie but still enjoyed it...

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I don't think the twist, if you can call it that, should even be taken into consideration. You could see it coming a mile off. Was it even intended as a 'twist' movie? I thought it was just a bloody good movie, and completely original, which is always a good thing.

Spammy

Being watched; will learn to post in the correct f
Gloves are worn for traction primarily. Someone li
I quite enjoyed it, even though I saw the twist coming from a mile away. Didn't much like Insomnia though.

The point of the twist was not to catch you off guard, or to be completey unpredictable. To quote the film itself -

The audience knows the truth: the world is simple. It's miserable, solid all the way through. But if you could fool them, even for a second, then you can make them wonder.

Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it because you're not really looking. You don't really want to know the secret... You want to be fooled.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
I don't think the twist, if you can call it that, should even be taken into consideration. You could see it coming a mile off. Was it even intended as a 'twist' movie? I thought it was just a bloody good movie, and completely original, which is always a good thing.
It's an adaptation if I'm not mistaken?

mehro

Ass face
Spammy does'nt really know anything. I wouldn't trust him with my cat. Not that I'd ever keep a cat. I'm a little too manly for that.

reelworld

The point of the twist was not to catch you off guard, or to be completey unpredictable. To quote the film itself -

The audience knows the truth: the world is simple. It's miserable, solid all the way through. But if you could fool them, even for a second, then you can make them wonder.

Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it because you're not really looking. You don't really want to know the secret... You want to be fooled.
Exactly.

I think a more interesting aspect is how Angier are willing to 'die' every night for his trick, knowing that The Prestige was received by his clone/copy, highlighting his obsession to his craft.
The same can be said to the Borden twins, living as one just so the transporting man trick could work.

GusHiddink

Alex Ferguson will not win another champions leagu
In the berbatov thread trying to push the deal thr
Exactly.

I think a more interesting aspect is how Angier are willing to 'die' every night for his trick, knowing that The Prestige was received by his clone/copy, highlighting his obsession to his craft.
The same can be said to the Borden twins, living as one just so the transporting man trick could work.
Perhaps i need to watch the end again...

Here why didnt angier know if he would appear as the one on stage or the one in the tank?? The machine erratic?? If so why did he never appear in the tank to drown??

hmmmmmmmmmmm?

M160RA

One of the best movies of 2006, IMO. I've watched it 3 times already and could watch it again just to see the brilliant foreshadowing, the excellent cast and an excellent thriller overall.

Mihajlovic

Its Baltic!
A few interesting facts about this movie...

---

In the Bullet Catching Scene you can clearly see the name Harry Dresden on the list of performers under Christian Bale's "The Professor." Harry Dresden is a fictional wizard in a series of books, "The Dresden Files", by novelist Jim Butcher.

Ricky Jay, who played a magician in the film, coached Hugh Jackman and Christian Bale in their sleight-of-hand techniques.

Angier's double mumbles a few lines from a speech while rehearsing on stage before his first performance. What he's saying is actually the words of Harry Percy (Hotspur) from Shakespeare's Henry IV, when called to appear before the king and explain his failure to turn over prisoners after a recent battle in Scotland. Apparently Hugh Jackman has used this speech in previous auditions. Presumably it was believed that having the double deliver a few lines from Shakespeare would lend him an actorly air, as his character is in fact a dissolute stage actor.

Chung Ling Soo was a stage character created by a Caucasian American man, William Ellsworth Robinson, who disguised himself as a Chinese man to cash in on audiences' enthusiasm for the exotic. Robinson lived as Chung, never breaking character while in public. He died in March 1918 when a bullet catch trick went wrong. "My God, I've been shot" were both his last words and the first English he had spoken on stage in 19 years.

The main characters' initials spell ABRA (Alfred Borden Robert Angier), as in Abracadabra, a common word used by magicians.

Alfred Borden takes on the stage name of "The Professor". This is the nickname that was given to Dai Vernon, the man many consider to be the best modern day sleight of hand magician.

Christopher Priest created the "Langford Double Knot" for the original novel as a tribute to his friend and business partner, the author David Langford.

Sam Mendes had shown interest in adapting Christopher Priest's novel for the big-screen, but Priest insisted that Christopher Nolan direct the film, based on his love for both Following (1998) and Memento (2000).

Borden's infant child is played by one of director Christopher Nolan's own children.

reelworld

Perhaps i need to watch the end again...

Here why didnt angier know if he would appear as the one on stage or the one in the tank?? The machine erratic?? If so why did he never appear in the tank to drown??

hmmmmmmmmmmm?
The movie never implied which one is on the machine, the original or the copy. As the copy is exactly the same as the original, along with the memory, both will feel as the real one.

uae

Desperately wants a tagline under his name
Was i the only one pissed off at the end of this? It's been hyped to hell, hailed as having one of the best twists ever, and then the twist fecking defies physics? feck off with your clones and think up something real!

Alex

Was i the only one pissed off at the end of this? It's been hyped to hell, hailed as having one of the best twists ever, and then the twist fecking defies physics? feck off with your clones and think up something real!
It was good, but the movie didnt reach it's original hype

uae

Desperately wants a tagline under his name
P.S i realise the clones were not the main twist and the twins were, but still, feck off.

GodlovesUnited

Good movie. I watched it in spanish class in spanish the first time and had almost no clue what was going on.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Good film. The twist is really the fact that Jackman was essentially doing the same trick as the 'bird in the cage' one showed earlier in the film on a much grander level, while Bale was using the simplist trick in the book to confound him...I thought it was quite clever personally

Alex

Good film. The twist is really the fact that Jackman was essentially doing the same trick as the 'bird in the cage' one showed earlier in the film on a much grander level, while Bale was using the simplist trick in the book to confound him...I thought it was quite clever personally
I totally agree with you on that point, Jackman just really couldn't see it for what it was

B Cantona

Desperate
I've seen it a couple of times now, and I really enjoyed it. Great cast, well acted... you can bang on about the twist, but that's not the fault of the movie, it's based on a novel after all, and I believe stayed pretty true to it

The fact Wibble didn't like it only confirms what an enjoyable yarn it must have been

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
I totally agree with you on that point, Jackman just really couldn't see it for what it was
Exactly. It was almost as much a personality study as it was a thriller. Plus Michael Caine was excellent in it, essentially playing Alfred again...The more I think about it, the more I remember how much I liked it actually. Nolan hasn't put a foot wrong in his career thus far..

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
The twins twist was obvious but the clones twist and the teleportation stuff was just plain daft. Very disappointing film IMO.