Television Tho Prop Grops Throps

MUW4Eva

Yes, Goldberg winning the title after three squash matches is exactly the same as Punk having a bunch of competitive and lengthy matches (except the one against Spears) and earning a shot.
It was an example of an older generation of wrestler winning a company's top title, that was all, AEW have had another older generation wrestler hold it already with Y2J, it is good that it is currently on Adam, even if his time holding it has been very lacklustre.

To take it off of him for Punk, would be a huge error, Punk should be putting him over, no way should Punk be winning the title, they have many younger people who they can, and indeed should be building up for title matches, of Tony wasn't so quick to forget about them for a shiny new debut.

The Hilton

It was an example of an older generation of wrestler winning a company's top title, that was all, AEW have had another older generation wrestler hold it already with Y2J, it is good that it is currently on Adam, even if his time holding it has been very lacklustre.

To take it off of him for Punk, would be a huge error, Punk should be putting him over, no way should Punk be winning the title, they have many younger people who they can, and indeed should be building up for title matches, of Tony wasn't so quick to forget about them for a shiny new debut.
What's the logic here? That senior members of the roster shouldn't hold the top title, only young up and comers?

Have to disagree with basically everything you're saying - Punk is the biggest name in the company right now, and doing some of his best stuff for ages. Having his name associated with the title only adds legitimacy, and best to do it now while he's still able to defend it regularly in high quality matches.

Plus the rub that whoever beats him for it will get us huge!

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
I have a feeling Punk isn't gonna be around long-term, 3 years max I think, so they're gonna try to get everything they can out of him while he's there.

Holocene

They have already done the putting the world title on an old timer with Y2J, so to put it on yet another old timer would seem very odd.
CM Punk should be no where near a World title shot, nevermind winning it.

This would be exactly like Goldberg coming in and winning the WWE title.

Let the top title be for people who are actually long stay members of the company.

Use the older members to put over the younger members.
Goldberg is 12 years older than Punk.

Punk is hardly an old timer. He will ultimately lose the belt to one of the young stars they're building (probably MJF). What's wrong with that?

choccy77

Goldberg is 12 years older than Punk.

Punk is hardly an old timer. He will ultimately lose the belt to one of the young stars they're building (probably MJF). What's wrong with that?
Punk had 7 years off... thats like 14 years in wrestling terms for physical wellbeing.

Like Edge, he will do strong business for a while win a title have a run and then step back to help elevate the younger wrestlers.

Punk doesn't need to be at the top forever, that's the difference between AEW & WWE.... Khan will build up wrestlers and not rely on 60 year old past stars to main event over and over.

MUW4Eva

Punk had 7 years off... thats like 14 years in wrestling terms for physical wellbeing.

Like Edge, he will do strong business for a while win a title have a run and then step back to help elevate the younger wrestlers.

Punk doesn't need to be at the top forever, that's the difference between AEW & WWE.... Khan will build up wrestlers and not rely on 60 year old past stars to main event over and over.
Remind me again how many main events Y2J has been in with AEW?

choccy77

Jericho was their main event star when AEW started, so natural for him to be the main event, he has helped build up the talent and got them over and he now has a different role but is still Gold but in a different way.

For the most part, AEW has done well with the top stars, pushing them to then help build up the new players, fade them out and use a newer fresh star etc

Nothing is ever perfect, but it's also not 10 years of You Can't See Me shoved down your throat and everyone else being destroyed.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
They have already done the putting the world title on an old timer with Y2J, so to put it on yet another old timer would seem very odd.

Let the top title be for people who are actually long stay members of the company.

Yeah this is a terrible take.

Ekeke

If you're getting the biggest babyface reactions when you're doing things putting you in a spotlight position it doesn't matter how old you are. Obviously you want to build your future so you cant keep going back to the past but the occasional older champ with someone making their name against them later on should be fine and would hopefully help with the ratings in the short term.

Punk winning the title would be paving the way for MJF to get to the top. But it wouldnt have to be him, you could do someone not as well built up getting the surprise win over Punk and that moment being what makes the guy. Someone like Ethan Page or Powerhouse Hobbs could be given the chance in that role trying to take them all the way and make a star and see if it sticks

choccy77

Is Roman leaving WWE soon?

This from last nights event to the live crowd.

“I’ve been here a couple of times in the past 10 years,” the WWE Universal Champion said.

“I’m starting to work into a new phase in my career, and I honestly don’t know if I’ll be back here again. If that’s the case, I just wanna say thank you for all these years of support.”

Roman also did interview recently where he mentioned films and Hollywood.

Sylar

I'm more convinced that punk should win the title as it's some of his best stuff in years (maybe since 2011 and better matches since then)

The one thing aew do great is the longer term stuff. They could do better with follow ups however.
Pink winning the title then beating some of the established guys then losing to mjf would be a great story to be told.

Bwuk

Is Roman leaving WWE soon?

This from last nights event to the live crowd.

“I’ve been here a couple of times in the past 10 years,” the WWE Universal Champion said.

“I’m starting to work into a new phase in my career, and I honestly don’t know if I’ll be back here again. If that’s the case, I just wanna say thank you for all these years of support.”

Roman also did interview recently where he mentioned films and Hollywood.
He’ll be 37 this month. He’s reaching the age where it he is to transition to Hollywood it’ll be sooner rather than later.

I could see Roman in a marvel film.

MUW4Eva

He’ll be 37 this month. He’s reaching the age where it he is to transition to Hollywood it’ll be sooner rather than later.

I could see Roman in a marvel film.
Roman, Batista, and The Rock all in the same Marvel film perhaps??

choccy77

Roman, Batista, and The Rock all in the same Marvel film perhaps??
Well Rock works for the WCW version of Comic Movies...... DC, as does Cena

Batista though is done with Marvel now I beleive so anything is possible.

Maybe they can all do an expendables movie with Austin and Goldberg

MUW4Eva

Rock, Austin, Goldberg, Batista, Roman and Cena all in the same movie, now that would be crazy!

Ekeke

Rock, Austin, Goldberg, Batista, Roman and Cena all in the same movie, now that would be crazy!
Batista was talking about not wanting to be in the same movies as other wrestlers. He thinks hes a proper actor studying the craft and they're just wrestlers in movies.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC

More like Impact.

MUW4Eva

Batista was talking about not wanting to be in the same movies as other wrestlers. He thinks hes a proper actor studying the craft and they're just wrestlers in movies.
Oohhh next he will be saying that he is a thespian!

choccy77

Batista just has a huge ego and arrogance and belittles wrestling when he can, yet it made him and gave him the opportunities he has.

Undertaker can take his place in the movie instead.

choccy77

So is Backlash on today?

I thought they moved PPVs to Saturdays now?

I expect USOs to lose and A story line with roman to come maybe leading to Rock eventually down the line.

Then again, is Roman leaving?

Sylar

Good opening match between Rollins and Cody. Really good. Wondering where they go with both guys now.

Sylar

Omos is quite.... bad. He hasnt really improved since being AJs tag partner.

Sylar

I like Edges music. Rhea looks badass and a good move for her to be part of this.

The match was defo better than their Mania match which I think went on for too long.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
There's the hot tag... then there's the Randy Orton hot tag.

The man has been doing pretty much the exact same tag sequence for the best part of a year, and he's probably the most over he's ever been.

choccy77

The man has been doing pretty much the exact same tag sequence for the best part of a year, and he's probably the most over he's ever been.
So he will be turning soon then haha

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline

Orton and Riddle have a touch of rock and sock about them in my opinion. Weirdly likeable duo.

Sylar

Finished backlash.
It was decent but we basically had three or four rematches, mad cap dude going over (which wasn't bad) and then a really good main event but ultimately pointless.
Like what actually was the point of the main event? Nothing was on the line.

True, also his size doesn’t help, almost like he’s too tall.
It does look awkward and it doesn't help he's not very mobile. It might have been his best match I've seen but it's not good

The Feind is back! :smirk:
Pat McAfee is great
Seriously just amazing and you can tell Cole is having fun. He's much better with Pat.
Makes you wonder what they've even tried to teach him other than finding the hardcam
Just look menacing. I think braun had better growth than Omos