The put some respect on Sterling's name thread

Yagami

Good post resistant
Never got the calls to drop him. Has been - alongside Kane - our best player for years.

Our player of the tournament so far!

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
best English player there is; has been for several years

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Now if he started passing the ball every once in a while, you might start winning games without having to suffer so much

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Credit to him. Had a shit season but has come alive this tournament and carried England's attack when they were set up to not attack at all. Excellent today

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
He makes a lot of awful decisions but, and I’m using this world largely because it pisses a lot of people of, he’s pretty clutch.

El Zoido

He’s decent, but incredibly frustrating most of the time. His style is really ugly to watch and he frequently makes terrible decisions in the attacking phase. Can’t argue with him popping up in the right place to score a goal though.

Zen86

I’m not a massive fan but he’s got a knack for being in the right place at the right time. His acceleration is such a weapon.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
He makes a lot of awful decisions but, and I’m using this world largely because it pisses a lot of people of, he’s pretty clutch.
He is one of those players that will frustrate you 80% of the time as he doesn’t pass it but that 20% will win you a game.

thepolice123

I thought he actually had a pretty good game. Was very direct and took on the German defenders at every opportunity.

padr81

Supports
Man City
I've been a staunch Raheem defender and he's been the best attacker for England in the tournie but Maguire and Stones have been better. I've said the calls to drop him are silly, his movement is amazing and the best in the squad, just doesn't have the tekkers to match. Still Englands biggest goal threat and I think Raz, Kane and Grealish as the front 3 might be the ideal solution. You've got Grealish eye for a pass and on the ball, Kane hopefully raising his game and Raz pace and movement.

Its similar to what Southgate aimed for with Foden, Kane, Sterling but Grealish is showing far more in this tourney than Phil. It also helps, that Grealish is on the left and has Shaw running overlaps, with Raheems pace on the right its not necessary for the RB, RWB and suits Trippier. I think Southgate may have stumbled on to his best attack with that Grealish for Saka substitution.

bsCallout

He should go into the 'All he does is score' thread. Makes you think he should be played up top, his movement is clever in the box.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Now if he started passing the ball every once in a while, you might start winning games without having to suffer so much
He did, but Müller really fecked up that one on one.

padr81

Supports
Man City
He should go into the 'All he does is score' thread. Makes you think he should be played up top, his movement is clever in the box.
The funny thing is when he plays up top he's always terrible and never scores, I think its because he can't make those runs from out to inside he does so well.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Some serious underrating of his general play here. You can't get the ball off of him 99% of the time.

thepolice123

The goal wouldn't have happened if he didn't dribble out of a tight situation and played a clever pass to Kane. Its because of that piece of play we were able to overload on the left for the resulting cross.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He’s a final third killer, but my god do I hate his play when he’s outside the box.

shahzy

England's biggest issues back in 2010 was they had no real ball carriers. The type of players that can dribble past players with skill and speed.
Raheem Sterling was the first of this current generation to buck that trend for England.

You NEED a player or two in every side that can dribble past players and are fast. That's why having him on AND having a pure assist machine like Grealish is the perfect combination for England right now. I haven't seen Sancho enough to know whether he can dribble like Sterling.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Reminds me a lot of Rashford, can make great runs, scores some very good goals, but can run into blind alleys, pick the wrong pass option, or not even pass when he should, but I guess these are talented players, and you have to take the rough with the smooth sometimes.

RUCK4444

England's biggest issues back in 2010 was they had no real ball carriers. The type of players that can dribble past players with skill and speed.
Raheem Sterling was the first of this current generation to buck that trend for England.

You NEED a player or two in every side that can dribble past players and are fast. That's why having him on AND having a pure assist machine like Grealish is the perfect combination for England right now. I haven't seen Sancho enough to know whether he can dribble like Sterling.
Yeah I was having this chat in work with a few colleagues who all seem to underrate him, he’s brilliant at carrying the ball forwards and dribbling past players, he is instrumental in attacks at stretching the opposition and turning them.

He goes again and again relentlessly as well, doesn’t let his head drop, again another trait that helps a lot.

MU655

I actually think Grealish has been the best player this tournament, considering the far less time. He been involved in 3 out of 4 goals despite only playing about 120 minutes.7

His impact on the game is massive.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Agree.

I've been a staunch Raheem defender and he's been the best attacker for England in the tournie but Maguire and Stones have been better. I've said the calls to drop him are silly, his movement is amazing and the best in the squad, just doesn't have the tekkers to match. Still Englands biggest goal threat and I think Raz, Kane and Grealish as the front 3 might be the ideal solution. You've got Grealish eye for a pass and on the ball, Kane hopefully raising his game and Raz pace and movement.

Its similar to what Southgate aimed for with Foden, Kane, Sterling but Grealish is showing far more in this tourney than Phil. It also helps, that Grealish is on the left and has Shaw running overlaps, with Raheems pace on the right its not necessary for the RB, RWB and suits Trippier. I think Southgate may have stumbled on to his best attack with that Grealish for Saka substitution.
Agree. I had to rant about him at full time but I want to be clear that it isn't because I think he's shit and shouldn't be playing but that he could be better still if he had more awareness to commit men then lay it off to teammates. He has the guts to take men on and he's scored most of our goals so I can't possibly moan too much, but he's capable of even more.

Longshanks

The goal wouldn't have happened if he didn't dribble out of a tight situation and played a clever pass to Kane. Its because of that piece of play we were able to overload on the left for the resulting cross.
The irony is it was his first forward and only forward pass of the entire game and the goal coming from an over-lapping Shaw who sterling had just spent 70 minutes refusing to pass too or link up with.

No one argues about him being a 'goalscorer' which is great but he all round play is actually pretty crap.

Dominos

He could triple his effectiveness overnight if his manager would just tell him to pass the ball earlier rather than trying to dribble 3 players every time.

Really happy for him though because he's probably the most criticised player, he's delivering all the decisive moments and hope it continues.

thepolice123

The irony is it was his first forward and only forward pass of the entire game and the goal coming from an over-lapping Shaw who sterling had just spent 70 minutes refusing to pass too or link up with.

No one argues about him being a 'goalscorer' which is great but he all round play is actually pretty crap.
They guarded the left flank pretty well, Shaw barely had space to overlap as Kimmich was watching him all the time. Space was created when he switched to the right and committed the defenders into coming out, something which Saka failed to do.

Abraxas

He's a top player. Maybe his decision making is a weaker point but it has to be considered that a lot of the time he is the one that single handedly produces moments that give him the opportunity to mess things up through his dribbling, strength and running. To then hold it against him is short sighted because he will also produce, his record says that.

He's a player that worries the opposition. Even when AWB has played well against him (and quite frankly we've usually handled him well) I still worry about him when I see him on a team sheet as he's a talented player, and I'm pretty sure defenders feel the same way.

Matriac

Thought he had a quite good first half, then didn't see anything that didn't make me want him subbed off for Rashford or others, until he scored.
Kinda like with Rashford usually.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Best player? Not really. Possibly our most important just due to scoring 3 of our goals, but his all round play has been pretty poor and frustrating. His running at players was better today but he fails to pass to players in better positions so often.
His off the ball movement and ability to get into good positions are exceptional though so he will always get goals. Worth keeping him on when he's not having a good game? Hindsight says yes but you do wonder what would happen if we made the switch as our bench has plenty of talent.

Longshanks

They guarded the left flank pretty well, Shaw barely had space to overlap as Kimmich was watching him all the time. Space was created when he switched to the right and committed the defenders into coming out, something which Saka failed to do.
Do you think sterling makes the realtivley simple pass to Shaw that grealish did, I doubt it serling would try and dribble through the defenders and the chance would be probably be gone.

When sterling does beat a player or two and make space for himself he very rarely gets his head up and picks a good pass more often than not he runs into a blind alley. Infact if you re watch the goal I think kane is as surprised as anyone that sterling got his head up and made a pass.

You can't argue with his goalscoring record but you can definitely argue about his complete lack of football intelligence.

GueRed

Never lets England down.

Always a fecking threat, intelligent and works hard for the team

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Ironically I don't think hes been Englands best player. Grealish or Shaw for me.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Do you think sterling makes the realtivley simple pass to Shaw that grealish did, I doubt it serling would try and dribble through the defenders and the chance would be probably be gone.

When sterling does beat a player or two and make space for himself he very rarely gets his head up and picks a good pass more often than not he runs into a blind alley. Infact if you re watch the goal I think kane is as surprised as anyone that sterling got his head up and made a pass.

You can't argue with his goalscoring record but you can definitely argue about his complete lack of football intelligence.
This argument only happens on the internet. No manager or player thinks Raheem Sterling completely lacks football intelligence.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Thought he should be dropped but I was wrong. With Kane misfiring Sterling's direct goal threat was too valuable to lose, even if his general play wasn't great.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I think England should keep playing him, yeh he has an rather average season by his standard and he played for City, but he did earn his place for England, scored some important goals and could also dribble abit and open up opponents defence sometimes, even though more often he would loss possession and going nowhere. He scored 15 goals in his last 20 games for England, I don’t think anyone could argue against his importance.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Never got the calls to drop him. Has been - alongside Kane - our best player for years.

Our player of the tournament so far!
Was a top player at Liverpool, has been a top player at City, and is a top player for England. End of story.

Jam

He scored a few goals and suddenly everyone thinks he’s God’s gift to football and England’s best performer. Get a grip.

Sterling has had several very good years, often being arguably the best English player, one of the best wide players in the league Etc etc. So this isn’t blind criticism of him for the sake of it, I acknowledge the player Sterling’s been.

But the last season his numbers really flatter his performances; you’ll find many City fans agree and are regularly frustrated with what he brings to that team being a far cry from the previous seasons. And during the Euros he has been very poor for England. He’s been absolutely anonymous aside from running into the opposition on occasion and the goals.

Sterling has not convinced me at all this tournament nor has Southgate who is terrified of a game of football breaking out under his watch.