The Reality Draft: Main Thread (Finals)

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I think that it is primarily up to the one affected by it, in this case Boris and Antohan. If Antohan wants to win by default that should be final in my eyes and no replacement manager or second winner should come in.
If you get a replacement manager to start today (before 7PM UK time) I have no issues playing it out. I would win it anyway, I'm positive about that.

What I won't have is hanging around for days waiting for a takeover manager or best loser and whatnot. It's bollocks.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Player profiles:

Oleg Blokhin

Best Soviet football player bar Yashin, Balon D'Or winner – I don't think that he needs a long write-up. Beloved student of Lobanovsky, he was capable of playing anywhere in the attacking third, contributing both to attack and defense. Famous for his incredible speed on and off the ball (he ran 100 meters in 10.6 seconds and was thinking about athlete's career in his childhood), devastating dribbling skills and reliant goalscoring, he is the perfect player for any team. 4-times Balon D’Or nominee (won in 1975), Soviet all-time goals and caps leader, Ukranian player of the century ahead of Shevchenko.

His most famous performance, probably, was in two legs against the terrifying Beckenbauer’s Bayern, in which he scored three goals (Dynamo won 3:0 on aggregate), including this piece of beauty:

Dennis Bergkamp

Another 4-times Balon D’Or nominee (runner-up in 1993), he was immense for Ajax and, later, for Arsenal, playing the integral part in their unbeaten run. A player of unmatched football intelligence and technique. I don’t think that he needs an introduction at this forum at all – we all remember him. Here’s a few quotes about him

Henry said:
I have always said Dennis Bergkamp will remain the best partner I have ever had. He is a dream for a striker
Adams said:
I’ve played with hundreds, and against hundreds, of players in three decades. People like Maradona, Van Basten, Daglish, Thierry… unbelievable players. And I put Dennis in my top three. Top three. I’m not saying who the other two are, but Dennis… for me he was ten times the player Thierry was
Simon Kuper said:
One night last year some legends of Dutch football gathered for dinner in an Amsterdam house. Around midnight conversation turned to an old question: who was the best Dutch footballer ever? Dutchmen have been voted European Footballer of the Year seven times, more than any other nationality except Germans. Yet Jan Mulder, a great centre-forward turned writer, chose a player who had never even threatened to win the award nor, at the time, a Champions League: “Bergkamp.” He had the finest technique, said Mulder. Guus Hiddink, the great Dutch manager, nodded, and so the matter was settled
Van Gaal in front of a roaring crowd said:
ONE MAN!! ONE MAN!! D-E-N-N-I-S B-E-R-G-K-A-M-P!!!

Hans Krankl

In Krankl my team has a perfect number 9. He had many great qualities, which included pace, dribbling, lovely passing ability, but he really perfected the most crucial one – his prolific goalscoring. He ended his career with 434 goals under his belly, which he scored in only 586 appearances. And this record is not only due to him playing in a relatively weak Austrian league, he enjoyed the best spell of his career playing in Barcelona (he won Pichichi after scoring 29 goals in 30 appearances), which was preceded by his impressive performance in 1978 World Cup performance. He and Prohaska were the leaders of the Austrian national team, which eliminated the current champions, Germany, from the tournament. That match is now known as The Miracle of Cordoba (Das Wunder von Cordoba) and Kraknl scored two goals, including the winning one. 2-times Balon D’Or nominee (runner-up in 1978)

Willington Ortiz

A player, who is, I’m afraid, very underrated here, because he never played in Europe (though Barcelona and Valencia tried to sign him). Player of the Century in Colombia (ahead of Valderrama), and he was voted 19th best South-American player by IFFHS. Ortiz had everything, strength, power and pace coupled with dribbling, feints, anticipation and vision. Always played with passion and inspired all his teammates, never gave up and never allowed his opponent to catch a break. He played on a right wing as a winger/inside forward, and managed to score an impressive amount of 214 goals. He led his team to a three consecutive Copa Libertadores finals in 1985-87, and won 6 domestic titles throughout his career.

Ricardo Bochini said about him: “El futbol colombiano va a sentir mucho la ausencia de Willington Ortiz. Yo no estoy seguro que alguien pueda reemplazarlo. La calidad de Ortiz y su forma de ser fuera de ella, son cualidades incomparables”, which google translates as “The Colombian soccer will feel much the absence of Willington Ortiz. I'm not sure anyone can replace him. The quality of Ortiz and his way of being elsewhere, are incomparable qualities” – I hope, though, that someone can translate it more precisely.

Paulo Roberto Falcão

Again, there is no real need in introduction here. Falcao was one of the most talented midfielders ever, let alone in this era. He was a complete midfielder, classy, with amazing touch and vision, two good feet, a great header, but who also knew how to defend. He was pure genius and the key player for Roma to consistently challenge Juventus’ dominance.

Johan Neeskens

Cruyff was the face of total football. Neeskens was the heart, lungs and legs of it. One of the finest midfielders of all-time, equally capable of scoring (18 goals in one season for Barca, Silver boot on 1974 WC), creating and defending. He was the inspiration for the Ajax's and Netherlands's pressing game, Bobby Haarms (we are not related) described him as being "like a kamikaze pilot", so fiercely he pursued his opponents in order to retrieve the ball.

Rainer Bonhof

An all-round powerhouse who could play in midfield and defence, Bonhof was a fixture in the West German national team throughout the seventies, contributing to their dazzling success in this historic era. Other than possessing boundless stamina and a bone-crunching tackle, Bonhof had possibly the hardest ever shot in football – one that had apprehensive opponents quaking in fear. His driving runs, precise passing technique and set-piece delivery were notable for providing valuable assists - he assisted Gerd Muller's winning goal in the 1974 World Cup final as well as 4 assists in the semi-final and final of the 1976 European Championship.

He really is amazing and crucial to this side, his ability to play almost everywhere on the pitch, his man-marking (he was asked to mark Muller on a numerous occasions), his engine, passing, shot and defensive contribution. Also, yet another (a little surprising) 4-times Balon D’Or nominee in my side.

German fans made this banner for the 1974 World Cup final: “Wir kennen Bonhof - aber wer ist Cruyff?”. Again, sorry for google-translate: “We know Bonhof - but who is Cruyff?”. Well, we all know how it ended.

Uli Stielike

Stielike was one of the most distinguished midfielders of his generation, winning everything at club level with both Bayern and Real Madrid, and the European Championship with Germany. He was voted best overseas player in La Liga four years running, but was not selected for Germany for a time, because he played abroad. Played as a sweeper or deep midfielder he pioneered the defensive midfield role, which has now become widespread, using an incredible intelligence to read the game. He was also a burst of stamina, combined with a spirit of sacrifice, it makes him perfect for my talented, yet extremely hardworking team. His goal scoring ability was quite good for a defensive player, especially due to his positioning. He even got the second place in Real's goalscorers once, just behind Santillana. Was nominated for Balon D’Or 2 times.

Last edited:

harms

Staff
Manfred Kaltz

Second most appearances in Bundesliga history. One of just two fullbacks to be named in the Ballon D'or top 5 between 1970-1985. A key part of the most successful Hamburg side in their history, including helping them get to two European Cup finals (winning one against a Juventus side made up of over half the WC-winning Italy team just a year earlier) and win 3 league titles. An expert in penalties, the Hamburg fan-favourite scored 53 of his 76 goals from the spot, a record in the Bundesliga. Kaltz was famous for his right-footed crosses, which he hit with so much spin that they curved like a banana. They were affectionately called "Bananenflanken" ("banana crosses"). A mainstay in the German defense for over a decade too.

Here’s a clip that shows us how important he was for the Hamburg’s attacks even without his famous Bananaflankens – 2 goals and an important anticipation before the goal in the demolition of Madrid

Karlheinz Förster

Two-times World Cup runner-up, and a proud winner of Euro 1980, he is one of the best man-markers in history. He successfully neutralized Ceulemans, Hugo Sanchez and Platini. Also did a good job at Maradona in the second half of the 1986 final, considering that he was playing against arguably the best player in football history who has in the form of his life. He is glad to be reunited with his old pals Kaltz and Stielike, with whom he formed a great partnership in 1980-82 and also was warmly welcomed by this side's veteran Bonhof.

Oscar Ruggeri

A world-class defender in his prime, Ruggeri earned the nickname "El Cabezón" (big head) because of his aerial dominance as a central defender. He was the leader of the 1986 Argentina defence that had the best defensive record in the World Cup, and he earned his reputation as an elite defender not just for club but for country as well. His experience and leadership would help Varane and Roberto Carlos to do what they do best.

Raphaël Varane

An “unproven quality”, some may say. But we all saw his impressive performances against Barcelona, when he kept Messi, who was probably in the best form in his life, quiet and managed to score an important goal (and another one in the second leg) – it’s hard to imagine a better performance from a CB. Mourinho already said that he is one of the best defenders in the world – and he knows his defenders.

Roberto Carlos

Another familiar face here. Incredible athlete, he often gets stick for his defensive contribution, which really isn’t fair – he wasn’t Maldini, but he was one of the best left-backs of his time and played in a back four for the most of his career. His offensive contribution is hard to overlook though. He won everything that you can imagine and was nominated for Balon D’Or for 6 consecutive years – incredible achievement for a fullback.

Andoni Zubizarreta

Zubizarreta's greatest asset as a goalkeeper was his positioning. He was seldom forced to make spectacular saves because of his ability to read the game. A goalkeeper without any special weaknesses, Zubi kept himself at the top for many years because of his great all-round abilities. In 1986, Barcelona signed him and Zubi spent eight wonderful years at the Nou Camp. Zubizarreta could look back at a very successful career having won many honours including, six Spanish league championships, three Spanish Cup titles, a European Cup Winners Cup title and a European Champions Cup title. He played more than 600 league games in Spain and won 126 caps, both are Spanish records.

Last edited:

harms

Staff
Brilliant write up @harms, one of the best I've seen. You've quietly put together an awesome-looking team.
Thanks! I stole some of that tbf and merely edited - when I wrote about my forwards and Ortiz I realized that it was taking too much of my free time.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Can't let this drag on, so will conclude as below:

Sunday, 21SEP14
BorisDeLeFora vs Chesterlestreet - Boris wins by default (Invald team submission by Chester)

Monday, 22Sep2014
antohan vs Aldo - antohan wins by default (Withdrawal by Aldo)
The Red Viper vs Annahnomoss - Ongoing
MJJ (Theon) vs Skizzo - Ongoing

Tuesday, 23SEP14
VivaJanuzaj vs crappycraperson

Wednesday, 24SEP14
harms vs Joga Bonito

Thursday, 25SEP14
ctp vs Jayvin

Friday, 26SEP14
Raees vs Stobzilla

Congrats @BorisDeLeFora @antohan Start pondering on which player you might lose in RiOFL :lol:

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Completed
BorisDeLeFora vs Chesterlestreet - Boris wins by default (Invald team submission by Chester)
The Red Viper vs Annahnomoss - TRV wins by 5 votes.

Monday, 22Sep2014
MJJ (Theon) vs Skizzo - Ongoing

Tuesday, 23SEP14
VivaJanuzaj vs crappycraperson

Wednesday, 24SEP14
harms vs Joga Bonito

Thursday, 25SEP14
ctp vs Jayvin

Friday, 26SEP14
Raees vs Stobzilla

Annahnomoss

Anybody already stated interest in the next draft? Otherwise I got an idea I'd like to do.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Whatever happens next we should look further into experimenting with the match threads. Throw in some alternatives people can vote for in terms of the final score, not least. I think that could be interesting - and not very hard to implement either.

Jayvin

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
PLAYER PROFILES:

Gianluigi BUFFON:

Without doubt one of the finest goalkeepers of all time, at his peak he had no flaws. Incredibly consistent, a superb shot stopper and a commanding presence at the back.

William GALLAS:

Never a superstar but always a hard worker and a key component of Chelsea's miserly defence in the mid 2000's. Not a huge threat going forward but his defensive solidity, pace, strength and consistency are valuable assets for any side.

Marcel DESAILLY:

The complete defender, physically imposing, tactically astute and deceptively quick. Paolo Maldini called him the best foreign defender to ever play in Italian football, high praise indeed.

Laurent BLANC:

The archetypal modern centreback, the silky smooth Frenchman was a superb reader of the game, possessing excellent defensive awareness, composed tackling and impressive distribution from the back.

Bixente LIZARAZU:

One of the best fullbacks around during the late 90's/early 2000's. A tireless runner and equally adept helping out in attack or snuffing out danger at the back, a key component of France's legendary World Cup and Euro winning defence.

Xabi ALONSO:

A terrific reader of the game, his positioning, interceptions and passing range made him a key player for Spain during their international dominance, as well as being the best midfielder in two CL winning sides.

Patrick VIEIRA:

Imperious presence in the middle of the pitch and one of the best midfielders to ever grace the Premier League. Finishing, tackling, passing, leadership - Vieira had it all.

Gaizka MENDIETA:

Arguably the best midfielder in the world at the turn of the century, combined endless stamina and determination with a superb shot and passing skills. A real dynamo and outstanding box-to-box midfielder.

Zvonimir BOBAN:

The inspirational leader of Croatia's 98 World Cup team and a vital member of AC Milan's dominant 1990's sides. Boban was one of the finest attacking midfielders of his generation, combining phenomenal technical skills with a tactical acumen which allowed him to perform to a high level in various roles across the midfield. He was determined, hard-working, intelligent and above all an incisive passer with incredible craft and vision. Truly irresistible at his peak.

Eden HAZARD:

Already one of the best players in the Premier League at the age of 23, Hazard's pace, dribbling skills and finishing finesse make him a formidable threat on the flanks or through the center. A testament to his talent, Lille fans voted him their clubs greatest ever player.

Marc OVERMARS:

Electric wide man whose incredible pace could trouble even the best defences; two footed, Overmars was capable of hugging the touchline and whipping in crosses, or cutting inside and shooting on his right foot. Gary Neville called him the best winger he played against.

ROMARIO:

Unstoppable at his best. His pace, power and clinical finishing make him one of the greatest strikers of all time.

"If he saw that I was a bit more nervous than usual ahead of a big game, he'd come to me and say: 'Take it easy, coach, I'm going to score and we're going to win'. What's incredible is that eight out of the ten times he told me that, he really did score and we really did win." - Guus Hiddink

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Jayvin has to be cheating here, surely. I suggest we start calling him whiskey nose, aka the one with the brown envelopes.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Results:

BorisDeLeFora vs Chesterlestreet - BorisDeleFora wins by default (Invalid team submission by Chester)
The Red Viper vs Annahnomoss - The Red Viper wins by most votes
MJJ / Theon vs Skizzo - MJJ/Theon wins by most votes
VivaJanuzaj vs crappycraperson - VivaJanuzaj wins by most votes.
harms vs Joga Bonito - harms wins by penalty shootouts

Thursday, 25SEP14
ctp vs Jayvin - Ongoing

Friday, 26SEP14
Raees vs Stobzilla

@Stobzilla awaiting your lineup and tactics for tomorrow's game.

BorisDeLeFora

Have you definitely conceded defeat @Chesterlestreet ? What we could do is look at each others teams and tactics whenever we get a chance, send our views to EAP, he can then set up a match thread and then let others argue over it. Maybe even cut the poll hours down to 12 or something.

VivaJanuzaj

I'm obsessing about the RiOFL, seriously.
I have 6 players(out of 12) I won't miss a heartbeat if they'll go AWOL for that match, otherwise a pick will have to be to remedy a loss.. 50-50 :nervous:

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Have you definitely conceded defeat @Chesterlestreet ? What we could do is look at each others teams and tactics whenever we get a chance, send our views to EAP, he can then set up a match thread and then let others argue over it. Maybe even cut the poll hours down to 12 or something.
No, it's definite - Ed has confirmed it too. Wouldn't be right or proper to go back on that now. Things are moving along nicely, though, so you won't have to wait too long for your QF.

MJJ

I'm obsessing about the RiOFL, seriously.
I have 6 players(out of 12) I won't miss a heartbeat if they'll go AWOL for that match, otherwise a pick will have to be to remedy a loss.. 50-50 :nervous:
I want to keep sammer and souness. The rest I can manage without. And Rivaldo I suppose.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
No, it's definite - Ed has confirmed it too. Wouldn't be right or proper to go back on that now. Things are moving along nicely, though, so you won't have to wait too long for your QF.
If you have a bit of time, just post it here. Not a proper match, but will generate some discussion I suppose. Good team should St least get some reviews if not matches....

BorisDeLeFora

Mine anyway, plan would be to play a relatively deep defense with the midfield three shutting the spaces in front of them to stop Henry/Nedved linking up. Mostly counter attacking in a forward sense, using the powerful running of Robson and Tigana, and Cerezo and Popescu being able to pick out quality passes from deep to my attackers.