The Reality Draft: Main Thread (Finals)

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
So Monday is preferable, if not then Tuesday @Edgar Allan Pillow
We already have 2 matches on Monday, so will put you in for Tuesday mate! @crappycraperson

Sunday if @Theon agrees?
Sunday it is @Skizzo @Theon

Sunday, 21SEP14
BorisDeLeFora vs Chesterlestreet
MJJ (Theon) vs Skizzo

Monday, 22Sep2014
antohan vs Aldo
The Red Viper vs Annahnomoss

Tuesday, 23SEP14
VivaJanuzaj vs crappycraperson

Wednesday, 24SEP14
harms vs Joga Bonito

Thursday, 25SEP14
ctp vs Jayvin

Friday, 26SEP14
Raees vs Stobzilla

@ctp @Jayvin Have pencilled in your game for Thrusday. Let me know if that is OK...

Skizzo

Goalkeeper

Considered one of the greatest Latin American goalkeepers of all time, Ubaldo Fillol was the first goalkeeper to win the Argentinian Footballer of the Year award. He was a key reason Argentina went on to win the World Cup in 1978, by putting in some fantastic performances, especially in the final.

Defenders

Antonio Cabrini is often considered as one of the greatest full backs in the World during the 1980's. Solid defensively, he also had great talent going forward, with his wonderful left foot.

Danny McGrain was a key part of Celtic's 9 in a row squad. His performances at both club and international level in the 1970s saw him described by many as being one of the best full-backs in the world. Aldo would have loved to have him to include in his Fear The Beard's team.

At his peak, Forster was considered as one of the best man markers to have played the game. in the '86 World Cup, he took on the job of man marking Platini, as they made their way to the finals.

While still young, Marquinhos has shown all the qualities needed to be a top level center back for years to come. Watching him for Roma, you could see his reading of the game was matured to a level beyond his years. He was among the leaders in interceptions, and tackles won. His athleticism and pace mean he is hard to break free from, and find space.
Midfielders

John Barnes is an icon for the Kop. Earning 79 caps for England, Barnes was a key player for both Liverpool and the National side. He possessed good pace, and a fantastic dribbling ability, as exemplified by his goal against Brazil where he skinned several players before beating the keeper. Hard working on the wing, he was able to provide assists and goals.

Didier Deschamps excelled at impeding the opposition's attacking movements, and was capable of subsequently starting up attacking plays once he won back possession. This was made possible due to his high work-rate, tenacity, stamina, and his efficacy at pressing and tackling opponents. He also had an excellent positional and organisational sense, and was known for his tactical intelligence, versatility, and his leadership.

Forwards

The baby faced assassin really needs no introduction on a United forum. Possessing a deadly ability to find the net, Solskjaer could always be counted on to find the net. Used mostly as a sub at his time at United, he had a fantastic goal scoring record to rival the starting forwards.

The Madrid Connection
http://38.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m61j8mJS181r37cvro1_1280.png

Bernd Schuster, Michel, Emilio Butragueno, and Hugo Sanchez played together during the 80's and were part of an overlapping core of the squad that were so successful. Winning back to back titles 5 years in a row, the talent and chemistry these players possess were key, and will be crucial to my draft team's success.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
I agree that The King would have suited Henry well - excellent combination of vision, finesse, speed and clinical finishing between the pair of 'em.

The problem with the classic 4-4-2 is that it requires one hell of a CM pairing for it to be effective (in this context, I mean, not in the real word), as you're likely to come up against opponents with all manner of world beaters in the middle of the park. Neeskens is one of the best - and most complete - central midfielders of all time for my money. Mascherano...not so much. A very good player in the right role - but he's not a good enough allround footballer to impress anyone as part of a CM duo. Or so I would think.
He's far from eye-catching but I don't mind Mascherano in that role at all as long as he has sufficient creativity around him, which is where King Eric would have been ideal along with the rest of that midfield. I might have been in a minority in terms of rating it as a vote winner though.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
To be true, I was actually envisaging a 4-1-3-2

...Nedved...Neeskens...Beckham...
...............Mascherano.................

I think King would be perfect, though to be true, I was not considering him at that moment. Damn, that would be perfect!

VivaJanuzaj

It's all about semantics, if you would've played 4-2-3-1 with the middle trio as Masherano DM, Neeskens CM and Cantona AM/SS no one would've see an issue with it, but because you have Beckham you need to shape more like a 4-4-1-1 or 4-4-2, but Cantona will really come and be a part attacking midfielder in that role anyway, so I don't see Mascherano as a problem in that 4-4-2. Still, you really so need a creative "striker" there if you want to squeeze Mascherano to that role, but with Cantona-Henry as the strikers I think that 4-4-2 would've been brilliant and spotless

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
...but I did the formation just now. I'll send it to you presently - just start the match whenever. I won't bother with the write-up, nobody reads 'em anyway. Tactical bollocks and whatnot may be dealt with in the match thread - but I won't be able to drop by until tonight, just so ye know.

EDIT Added some brief, tactical points as well. Good to go.

Last edited:

Annahnomoss

Why not use the old method of just putting them last? If they haven't shown up or changed their minds they are still in it - if they're still out we can just give the spot to the best two losers.

So the best two losers gets a new chance with their own teams.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
He gave an invalid team without a DoFI pick playing and gave up in the deleted match thread.
Ah okay then. Maybe you should say we need 2 new players in the title. Pretty sure there will be interest as there is only the write up to do and both those teams are pretty good as well.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I didn't give up, gents - let's be fair here. I posted an invalid team and declared myself willing to concede the match, i.e. let Boris win by default.

It would be absurd to let another manager take over that team. Either the match is rescheduled or Boris goes through. It wasn't a case of anyone giving up, but a case of one manager fecking up as per the rules.

Sorry to hear about Aldo - I hope he's alright and that this is nothing but a voluntary sabbatical from the Caf on his part. The latter is understandable, as sometimes this place takes up far too much time and becomes a hassle more than a pleasure.

Good luck, Aldo - hope to see you back, mate.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Why not use the old method of just putting them last? If they haven't shown up or changed their minds they are still in it - if they're still out we can just give the spot to the best two losers.

So the best two losers gets a new chance with their own teams.
feck this best loser shit, I already sent my write-up and planned my week for a Monday game. Find another manager or I go through. It's not like matches are a real highlight.

BTW, don't worry about Aldo, it's good reasons in terms of new chaallenges he is looking forward to and can do without the distraction.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
feck this best loser shit, I already sent my write-up and planned my week for a Monday game. Find another manager or I go through. It's not like matches are a real highlight.

BTW, don't worry about Aldo, it's good reasons in terms of new chaallenges he is looking forward to and can do without the distraction.
Glad to hear it.

And I agree completely as far as dealing with this goes: If someone wants to take over Aldo's team AND stick to the schedule - then that's excellent. If not, you should go through on a bye. It's the only rational approach in my opinion - as you say, matches aren't a highlight and they become even less so with delays and permutations and whatnot.

On that note, I repeat that on principle I will not object to Boris going through either. In fact, I would recommend such an action, given the circumstances. Rules are rules.

But as I said above, it makes no sense to replace yours truly with a different manager and then reschedule that match, as this is not a case of anyone resigning or going AWOL.

Anyway, it's Edgar's call - and I won't bicker about anything, just stating my opinion: For my money it's important to keep the momentum of the thing going, we've seen what happens when the latter is lost. The way to ensure this is to press on - and to award byes and default wins rather than rescheduling and/or waiting for someone to step in and take over a team. The latter should only be allowed when it doesn't involve postponing the match in question.*

* Again, just how I see it. Not saying it has to be done like this - it's Ed's draft, not mine or anyone else's.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Agree with deadlines. Stick with deadlines and schedule on this and give managers a walkover if needed. Important not to let this drag on

Jayvin

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
So Boris and anto go through? What's happening with MJJ/Theon and Skizzo's game?

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
On that note, I repeat that on principle I will not object to Boris going through either. In fact, I would recommend such an action, given the circumstances. Rules are rules.
Up to Boris really. The difference is you still have two willing managers involved. I never bought this "taking over" thing don't really see the point of "managers" standing-in to arguee the case of a team they didn't even select in the first place. The interesting sure is the end-to-end challenge and not getting more votes in a poll with a team someone else put together?

It's an arse not to be getting any feedback, but we have to keep things moving.

Annahnomoss

I think that it is primarily up to the one affected by it, in this case Boris and Antohan. If Antohan wants to win by default that should be final in my eyes and no replacement manager or second winner should come in.

The same way I think that Boris is free to make his decision on his game too, whether he wants to play it against Chester at a different date or if he wants to go through.

Should always be up to the one involved, a win is a win whether per default or not and after that it is up to the manager whether he has the time/effort to reschedule the game and replay it.