The Reality Draft - SF: VivaJanuzaj vs Theon / MJJ

Who will win with players at their peaks?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
vs

................................. Team @VivaJanuzaj ............................................................................. Team @Theon / @MJJ .................................

Team VivaJanuzaj

Tactics:
My team is a team based on adaptability so we can play either possession football or soak some pressure and hit the counters and our players are perfectly capable of doing both and change it throughout the match and mix it up to surprise the opponent.
My Defense - Is ready to handle Rivaldo-Romario. I've got four incredible defenders, Zanetti who was top notch RB but also proved he's superb on the left throughout he's career, Vierchowod who is probably the best man marker in history with his strength and speed, Kohler to compliment him perfectly as Kohler is one of the best CBs in history, and Reuter who is a gifted German RB who could do a great job both defending and attacking.
My defenders will be instructed to decide when to roam occasionally throughout the game and choose those times wisely. Zanetti, although not on his favorite side will be given more freedom than Reuter who can tuck in at RCB if Zanetti goes.
My Midfield - Is a 3 men box to box midfield. Basically, I have three complete midfielders, who can do a great job defensively, a great job offensively and have the work rate and stamina to do both excellently. Seedorf and Breitner will have a little bit more freedom to go forward than Keane, but Keano will get his chances going forward because my midfield trio will be instructed to bomb with 2 men only leaving one to be the defensively responsible one at every time. Keane will probably be left behind the most because he's better defensively than these two but a bit worst offensively.
My Attack - Is quick, smart in off the ball movement, have great goal threat in it and versatile. Savicevic will be given the freedom to play a role perfect for him - drifting between LiF and AM. Savicevic will aid my attack in the final third by moving at times to the AM role he played, leaving Zanetti/Seedorf to provide width on the left while Kalle and RVN make mazing runs into the box, and at times staying in LiF allowing Breitner/Seedorf/Keane to create the attack from the center.
Rummenigge is pleased to see Breitner pee in a cup and pass the drug test to come back to form their brilliant combination of their prime years. Kalle and Breitner's link up on the right side against the weak Rodriguez is the key matchup in this game.
Finally, Ruud is my striker and a perfect player for this role. RVN is unstoppable in front of goal and with the right players to play these one-twos with him in Kalle and Savicevic he'll be a mess for McGrath and Passarella.

Why I will win:
  • Stopping Rivaldo-Romario - Rivaldo and Romario never faced a defense like mine, Vierchowod is the perfect man to stop Romario from enjoying the match. Maradona described him as the best defender he ever faced and he can handle Romario's speed and movement, but he's not alone for it either because he has Kohler to help him. These two, along with Reuter who'll stop Rivaldo from going wide are as defensively sound and cool as possible and are perfect to stop this deadly combination.
  • Dominating the right wing - Rodriguez vs Breitner& Kalle - this is the biggest mismatch of the match by far. We've got young Rodriguez who isn't even the current best LB in the world and had a few susceptible games defensively, against the incredible combo of Breitner-Rummenigge. To capitalize on it, most of my team's attacks will go from the left with Savicevic cutting to AM position and Breitner-Kalle making a mess of that matchup. Even Passarella won't be free to aid, since McGrath alone is not enough to stop Ruud.
  • Midfield domination - Losing Sammer was a blow for MJJ/Theon, but they still have a great midfield quartet with Bochini Rivaldo Falcao and Souness. But the question is, is it better than my trio? I think not, because my midfield is really complete. Rivaldo doesn't need Keano's sole attention becuase he'll often drift left and have Reuter as either RCB or RB to cover him with Kohler, and Seedorf-Breitner can cope Falcao-Bochini

MJJ/Theon has a fantastic team and without the loss of Sammer it would've been even more incredible, but I think the bottom line is that my attack is much more likely to score against MJJ/Theon's defense than MJJ's attack is likely to score against me. At these stages there aren't any weaknesses normally, but Rodriguez here is a big weakness against Breitengge.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Team Theon / MJJ

A classic 3-5-2 system filled from back to front with complimentary players who suit the system.

The system is set up perfectly for Romario – the standout attacker on the pitch – who will play on the shoulder while Rivaldo/Totti/Falcao provide an abundance of support and creativity in behind.

FIVE BRIEF POINTS

1. The Defensive Dominance of Daniel Passarella
- Widely considered one of the greatest footballers of all time, Argentina's imperious World Cup winning Captain combines complete defensive solidity with a calmness on the ball and sharp, precise distribution from the back. Fantastic in the air and utterly imposing in the tackle, Passarella will marshall the back line as the standout defender on the pitch.

Given new freedom in the 3-5-2 Passarella can push up and join the midfield, ensuring Savicevic is bullied out of the game whilst breaking forward to affect the game offensively. With an incredible scoring record just off 1 in 3 - Passarella is a good bet to smash in the winner himself.

2. A Complimentary Midfield - An elite midfield with players who compliment each other, combining one of the all time great box to box generals with arguably the best midfield playmaker ever in Falcao.

Fiercely competitive, physically imposing and excellent on the ball, Souness will look to break up attacks before recycling possession with sharp passing to the creative players in front. Perennially underrated for a multitude of reasons on the Caf, his nationality and club of success chief among them, Souness was a colossus of a footballer at his peak - Captaining a fantastic Liverpool side to three European Cups as one of the most influential footballers of the decade.

Arguably the best midfielder in the draft, the supremely gifted Falcão combined fantastic passing and technique with defensive awareness, intelligence and ability to make a tackle. The outstanding player in one of the best ever World Cups in 1982, Falcão was awarded the Silver Ball as the second best footballer in the tournament – despite Brazil getting knocked out in the Quarter Finals.

3. Cafu stretching the pitch - Arguably the greatest attacking fullback of all time, there is no player better for this role than Cafu. Blessed with limitless stamina he is one of only a handful of footballers with the sheer physique to get up and down a flank in such a devastating way for 90 minutes.

At all levels this has been successful - Roma won Serie A, Milan won the Champions League and Brazil won the World Cup playing wingerless formations with Cafu providing the width.

4. Rivaldo Pulling Wide - Successful playing through the middle or on the left wing Rivaldo is well suited to this role, drifting out wide to utilise his exceptional dribbling ability and exploit any gaps, before attacking centrally to finish chances - a role he played in Brazil's 4-2-2-2 in 1998 and 3-5-2 in 2002.

A clinical goalscorer with an incredible 116 goals in four seasons - He will look to get in behind Reuter when he pushes forward, exploiting any gaps that arise.

5. A Perfectly Balanced Front Three - A mouthwatering attack, Totti/Rivaldo/Romario combines a textbook trio of forwards in the #10 #9.5 and #9 roles. Each and every one is perfectly suited to the role asked here.

#10 - Francesco Totti replicates his Roma #10 role in a 3-5-2, winning the Scudetto in 2000/01 in which Totti roamed across the pitch utilising his exceptional passing ability to assist Batistuta, who went on to score 20 goals in 28 games with Totti deservedly voted Player of the Year.

#9.5 - Rivaldo replicates his #9.5 role for both Brazil and Barcelona - drifting deep and wide left behind an advanced striker such as Ronaldo, Kluivert or Romario himself.

#9 - The best attacker on the pitch and one of the best goalscorers to play the game, Romario was frighteningly quick with natural, ruthless movement off the ball and outstanding Brazilian technique. Unstoppable.

The level and quality of service to Romario guarantees goals

WHY THIS TEAM HAS THE EDGE

More Creativity - Viva's team lacks creativity, there is no one of Rivaldo or Totti's calibre in terms of creating chances. In terms of comparing the two #9's, whilst Romario has the ability, technique and pace to create his own opportunities, Van Nistelrooy is not on that level and remains much more reliant on other players.

Better Passer's - The three best passers on the pitch are Totti, Falcao and Souness (yes, really). Probably Rivaldo next. This links to the creativity point but there is a lack of players capable of playing that final defence splitting ball.

In games as tight as these with defensive giants like Passarella to play through, somebody needs to play that final pass and there is a lack of that in Viva's side. Keane is probably the best passer on his team, but spllitting defences wasn't his game.

Players in Their Best Roles - Without going over the top, I don't think Viva's midfield is particularly complimentary at all - nor do I like Zanetti at left back. If he goes and starts all three of Breitner, Seedorf and Keane then I don't see how any of them is best utilised, particularly Keane who is simply underused in such a set up. He doesn't need two more players of that ilk getting in his way there, the best of Keane comes out when given the freedom to dominate that area by himself.

Last edited:

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Theon said:
If he goes and starts all three of Breitner, Seedorf and Keane then I don't see how any of them is best utilised, particularly Keane who is simply underused in such a set up. He doesn't need two more players of that ilk getting in his way there, the best of Keane comes out when given the freedom to dominate that area by himself.
I don't think so. Seedorf and Brietner have ample spaces in wide midfield (not wings) to operate in and I don't think they will intrude upon Keane here. The'll complement each other well, imo.

I like the back 5 tbf. Took the wind right out of Viva's sails by mooting the 'Rodriguez is a weakness' arguement.

VivaJanuzaj

I don't think so. Seedorf and Brietner have ample spaces in wide midfield (not wings) to operate in and I don't think they will intrude upon Keane here. The'll complement each other well, imo.

I like the back 5 tbf. Took the wind right out of Viva's sails by mooting the 'Rodriguez is a weakness' arguement.
I completely agree with the first part.

The second part, I don't. I think the back 5 is indeed the better option as it naturally counters my attack better, but it really doesn't stop my attack from scoring. A back 5 requires the wing backs to attack much more than the average full back, and that will use Rodriguez's lack of experience to get caught up the pitch by Kalle, to be left one on one vs Campbell, not a bad situation for me definitely.
On the other hand, now that Bochini is gone, as good as his attackers are I don't see a route to goal against my fantastic defense. It's basically Totti Rivaldo and Romario against my entire back four and Keane. Will take a moment of brilliance that even at their best wasn't a daily manner to score here. I just don't think there's any real possibility Theon will score here while I have a great chance to score when young Rodriguez with a free card to roam will get caught against Kalle leaving poor Campbell to deal with him alone.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
On the other hand, now that Bochini is gone, as good as his attackers are I don't see a route to goal against my fantastic defense. It's basically Totti Rivaldo and Romario against my entire back four and Keane. Will take a moment of brilliance that even at their best wasn't a daily manner to score here. I just don't think there's any real possibility Theon will score here.
You're out of your mind if you think that.

A front two of Rivaldo/Romario supplied by Totti/Souness/Falcão - All three of which are better passers than anyone you have in your team. It absolutely screams goals.

Romario is the best attacker in the entire draft and quite possibly the best goalscorer since Gerd Muller - And he has an absolute abundance of creativity behind him here. Whether it's Falcao, Totti or Rivaldo any of those players is capable of slipping a pass into Romario and he will finish it.

A Totti through ball to Romario is a better route to goal than anything you have. And that's before considering the likes of Rivaldo, Falcao and Cafu.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Oh, Theon/MJJ side is much better than I expected, they finally gave up on 4-2-2-2. I still don't like Rodriguez-Campbell combo, but they have decent cover.
Rodriguez, who is obviously the worst player on the pitch, is used correctly this time though - he can be very good at going forward, which he would obviously do a lot here.

Won't vote yet as I'm a bit drunk myself, but for me Theon/MJJ have a more balanced side, Falcao is a brilliant fit here and Totti is finally free to do what he does best. On the other hand, he really lacks aerial threat, but with passing of Falcao/Totti/Rivaldo it shouldn't be a big problem.

Annahnomoss

Let's just take a moment and appreciated both teams defenses;

On the left side you have Zanetti, with the help of Seedorf and Savicevic, with Kohler, Vierchowod and Keane centrally and on the other side you have Reuter, Breitner and Rummenigge. That is absolutely incredible and Theon/MJJ has a really strong defense too - in their case it is more about the defensive line being the wall to break down.

Falcao-Souness and Totti won't be able to keep up with Breitner, Seedorf and Keane centrally so VJ will be the one having the slightly more well oiled machine here while Theon/MJJ will be looking for individual brilliance to win this one for them. Falcao, Rivaldo and Romario really have that within them though to in one moment decide a match - and it was something you'd build a team around.

RVN is in a perfect game here though, not many strikers you'd want ahead of him just trying to turn a cross, a deflection or whatever in to a goal.

Last edited:

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Think both managers are exaggerating a bit here.

All 3 of Viva's midfielders are defensively good, so he'll just crowd out Theon's attack. So saying it screams goals is a stretch.

Though with Rivaldo operating there Reuter will have to rein in and concentrate on defense. Rodriguez, I think will primarily be for width. Kalle against Campbell and Passarella will not have much joy especially with Souness harrying Savicevic if he moves to the middle.

It was a horribly bad decision to not play Savicevic as a attacking midfielder. A couple of arrows to the left would have worked the same and saved you the bonus votes disadvantage.

The biggest advantage I see on the pitch is Viva's flexibility. Through middle or out wide he has the flexibility and players to change on the flow and that might make a big difference.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
I like the back 5 tbf.
Oh, Theon/MJJ side is much better than I expected, they finally gave up on 4-2-2-2.
I liked the 4-2-2-2 but once Sammer went it had to go as there was no one equivalent to play that holding role - Souness was more fitting of the offensive type of role Falcao played himself. I think we could have gotten away with Souness as a holder but really that isn't his best role.

Then the second reason, is that when Romario and Falcao came on board the need for creativity diminishes so Bochini became more expendable - With Falcao, Totti, Rivaldo and Romario that extra creativity from Bochini wasn't as necessary. Diminishing returns is the phrase that comes to mind there.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Falcao-Souness and Totti won't be able to keep up with Breitner, Seedorf and Keane centrally so VJ will be the one having the slightly more well oiled machine here while Theon/MJJ will be looking for individual brilliance to win this one for them. Falcao, Rivaldo and Romario really have that within them though to in one moment decide a match - and it was something you'd build a team around.
Not really at all IMO. You're also ignoring Passarella's contribution to midfield, seeing as I spent the last game defending against the criticism that Passarella was contributing so much to the midfield battle that he neglected his defensive duties, it would be somewhat strange if in this game when he actually has license to join the midfield battle we start to ignore that contribution. That makes no sense.

In terms of the midfield battle Falcão is the best midfielder on the pitch. And in Souness he has a fantastic and complimentary partner who suits him. With Passarella pushing up I'm not seeing any problems here, I much prefer this midfield which I think works better than Viva's which is doesn't compliment itself very well at all, particularly with Keane who is his best midfielder but isn't played in his best role.

VivaJanuzaj

Think both managers are exaggerating a bit here.

All 3 of Viva's midfielders are defensively good, so he'll just crowd out Theon's attack. So saying it screams goals is a stretch.

Though with Rivaldo operating there Reuter will have to rein in and concentrate on defense. Rodriguez, I think will primarily be for width. Kalle against Campbell and Passarella will not have much joy especially with Souness harrying Savicevic if he moves to the middle.

It was a horribly bad decision to not play Savicevic as a attacking midfielder. A couple of arrows to the left would have worked the same and saved you the bonus votes disadvantage.

The biggest advantage I see on the pitch is Viva's flexibility. Through middle or out wide he has the flexibility and players to change on the flow and that might make a big difference.
Well I don't think I should've gotten the votes even if I would've "placed" Savicevic on the AM role because I think naturally he would've drifted left to his role in this game which is an LiF/AM so it doesn't really matter. I'll take the votes disadvantage for playing the "true" tactics for me.

Rivlado won't be there against Reuter on his own. Reuter has Brienter helping him out defensively while Keane is taking Falcao, or the other way around, that's just the flexibility in my 3 men box to box midfield, I have cover for him no matter what, that leaves Totti and Romario to build alone against Kohler Vierchowod Zanetti, and Keane/Breitner if Falcao is still sitting deep.

As for Rodriguez, he's by far the worst player on the pitch, doesn't have a quarter of the class any of my players had, and against these players at their prime his lack of experience will be incredibly bad for him. It's a huge mismatch against someone like Kalle. And if you say he won't be alone against Campbell that means RVN is alone against McGrath. Yes Please!

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
I liked the 4-2-2-2 but once Sammer went it had to go as there was no one equivalent to play that holding role - Souness was more fitting of the offensive type of role Falcao played himself. I think we could have gotten away with Souness as a holder but really that isn't his best role.
:lol: Stop pretending. You somehow got away with it once, but if you play Rodriguez in a back 4 against Brietnigge it will be suicide, Sammer or not!

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
:lol: Stop pretending. You somehow got away with it once, but if you play Rodriguez in a back 4 against Brietnigge it will be suicide, Sammer or not!
Rodriguez is excellent offensively so aye, he is much better suited to a back five playing as a wingback - That said I wouldn't base the whole team around him. If we hadn't lost Sammer I'm not sure where the upgrades would have taken us, but it could have been any number of systems.

@Theon Is MJJ assisting you in the background?
What do you mean?

He hasn't been on the Caf since yesterday at 12.00pm - his internet isn't working.

VivaJanuzaj

Not really at all IMO. You're also ignoring Passarella's contribution to midfield, seeing as I spent the last game defending against the criticism that Passarella was contributing so much to the midfield battle that he neglected his defensive duties, it would be somewhat strange if in this game when he actually has license to join the midfield battle we start to ignore that contribution. That makes no sense.

In terms of the midfield battle Falcão is the best midfielder on the pitch. And in Souness he has a fantastic and complimentary partner who suits him. With Passarella pushing up I'm not seeing any problems here, I much prefer this midfield which I think works better than Viva's.
I think you can't have it both ways, Passarella was superb and the best defender on the pitch imo, but that doesn't mean he can both defend against RVN, against Kalle's runs with Campbell, against Savicevic if he comes from the middle and still attack while making the midfield battle. You can't ask him to do all these. Not enough that he can't do all these defensive assignments you've got him doing, he can't do more stuff while doing it.

As for the midfield, Falcao is indeed the best midfielder in the pitch, but he's definitely not much better than either Breitner or Keane. And I think Souness is definitely weaker than Seedorf in this midfield. but it doesn't really matter. You do have the slightly best defender(Passarella), the slightly best midfielder(Falcao) and the best attacker(Romario), but it doesn't matter because you also got the worst defender by miles(Rodriguez), two weaker CBs, and the worst midfielder who isn't too shabby but is the weakest.

The thing is, It doesn't matter who has the best what, is how the team will function, and my team is much more balanced. Vierchowod is the perfect man to stop Romario. Jesus, he did an amazing job on Mardona at his prime, why can't he do the same for Romario and take the entire sting from your already low-staffed attack?

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Souness is definitely weaker than Seedorf in this midfield. but it doesn't really matter. You do have the slightly best defender(Passarella), the slightly best midfielder(Falcao) and the best attacker(Romario), but it doesn't matter because you also got the worst midfielder who isn't too shabby but is the weakest.
:annoyed: Deary me.

Souness is comfortably, and I mean comfortably, a better player than Seedorf. It isn't even close.

Seedorf was the most dispensable midfielder in Milan's Ancelotti side, Pirlo, Gattuso and Kaka were all more important players. Souness was the heart of a team which won three European Cups. He's right up there with Keane in your team and comfortably ahead of Clarence Seedorf.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
The thing is, It doesn't matter who has the best what, is how the team will function, and my team is much more balanced.
And how on earth is your team more balanced? You've crammed as many box to box midfielders as possible into your team, stuck a right back at left back, and have very little creativity throughout your side.

It's not balanced at all.

Annahnomoss

hreally at all IMO. You're also ignoring Passarella's contribution to midfield, seeing as I spent the last game defending against the criticism that Passarella was contributing so much to the midfield battle that he neglected his defensive duties, it would be somewhat strange if in this game when he actually has license to join the midfield battle we start to ignore that contribution. That makes no sense.

In terms of the midfield battle Falcão is the best midfielder on the pitch. And in Souness he has a fantastic and complimentary partner who suits him. With Passarella pushing up I'm not seeing any problems here, I much prefer this midfield which I think works better than Viva's which is doesn't compliment itself very well at all, particularly with Keane who is his best midfielder but isn't played in his best role.
My point was rather that your team has more clear cut individual threats. Whereas VJ relies more on just overpowering the opponent through-out and every single of his attacking players can be the one winning it for him. Breitner/Rummenigge/Reuter seems to be his clearest threat again.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
My point was rather that your team has more clear cut individual threats. Whereas VJ relies more on just overpowering the opponent through-out and every single of his attacking players can be the one winning it for him. Breitner/Rummenigge/Reuter seems to be his clearest threat again.
Aye, no doubt it's a physical and powerful side. I think you're spot on there and that's not a criticism of his team, some great sides played that way.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Well I don't think I should've gotten the votes even if I would've "placed" Savicevic on the AM role because I think naturally he would've drifted left to his role in this game which is an LiF/AM so it doesn't really matter. I'll take the votes disadvantage for playing the "true" tactics for me.
I think there's a big difference between a AM drifting wide and a inside forward moving middle. The primary purpose of a inside forward moving is to score, whilst a free roaming AM creates first and scores second. Savicevic is perfect for the later.

But still you've considered and decided, so I'll respect that!

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
But then they have Cafu and McGrath there whom I rate well ahead of Rodriguez and Campbell on the other side.

One more cracking semi! Perfect.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff

Then the second reason, is that when Romario and Falcao came on board the need for creativity diminishes so Bochini became more expendable - With Falcao, Totti, Rivaldo and Romario that extra creativity from Bochini wasn't as necessary. Diminishing returns is the phrase that comes to mind there.
I know that I sound like a broken and very vindictive record (I'm bad at loosing :(), but I think that your version of the magic square had just too many flaws. But you won anyway and I like your team after the changes much (and I mean much) better.

Just take the compliment, god damn it! :D

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
The attack of Theon's is just great but what a defense to deal with it as well. You couldn't think of a better defense in the draft to deal with Totti, Rivaldo and Romario than VivaJanuzaj's defense (barring Annahnomoss defense that is). Keane, Kohler, Vierchowod (aided by Zanetti) against Totti, Rivaldo and Romario promises to be a fantastic battle. I really can't see one having a significant advantage over another here.

Theon also has the rather underrated Campbell and McGrath aided by Passarella and Souness against a great attack. Once again I don't see too much between Theon's defense and Viva's attack here.

VivaJanuzaj's midfield might lack a genuine playmaker or a holding midfielder but I don't have any issues with that. Those 3 midfielders are as complete as midfielders come and you have to take both Seedorf and Breitner's ability to make an impact on the flanks when needed into account as well. Keane is better utilized as a marauding box-to-box midfielder but he has the sheer defensive ability and command to play the holding role whilst compromising on his attacking instincts. He also has 2 tactically intelligent midfielders alongside him, meaning that they will cover for him and not go gung-ho if and when he decides to venture forward.

I can see the link-up between Rivaldo and Rodriguez down the left-flank making an impact here tbh. I just feel that Theon's team has better width and ability to stretch the play than Viva's team here which is always vital when needing to break down a stubborn defense.

Can also see the point about Theon's team possessing genuine playmakers turning the tide towards him as well. This is by no means a slight on the likes of Savicevic (being a bit harsh here), Breitner, Keane and Seedorf. They were all good passers but you wouldn't class them as playmakers able to consistently play that defense splitting pass. They won't struggle offensively but they will have to toil harder to break down Theon's organized defense imo. Viva's team looks extremely functional and Theon's team seems to have that creative spark. Hard to seperate them right now

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
I know that I sound like a broken and very vindictive record (I'm bad at loosing :(), but I think that your version of the magic square had just too many flaws. But you won anyway and I like your team after the changes much (and I mean much) better.

Just take the compliment, god damn it! :D
:lol: I am buddy, just trying to defend my 4-2-2-2 :(

But no you're right, this probably does work better. I have a huge thing for Totti, it's all very strange, and I loved the idea of him playing in midfield with someone like Bochini, another player on his wavelength. That team probably was a touch over-engineered though, the part about Sammer dropping back into the defence sounded like a great plan to me but was pretty much slaughtered from all corners.

The Red Viper

Supports
Liverpool
I love this formation by Theon a lot more. It suits almost all his players perfectly. Totti would finally be able to play to his best because now, the whole attack is built around him. He isn't half the player when he isn't used as the focal point of the team. In terms of "midfield battle", VivaJ definitely has the advantage but whenever Theo gets the possesion, he will be extremely threatening. All three of Souness, Falcao and Totti were very good passers. And, In Rivaldo - Romario, he has a front two which not only complements each other well but would cause trouble to the duo of Kohler - Vierchowod.

The Red Viper

Supports
Liverpool
But then they have Cafu and McGrath there whom I rate well ahead of Rodriguez and Campbell on the other side.

One more cracking semi! Perfect.
Yep. He should have swapped McGrath with Sol.

Also, I'm a bit surprised Viva hasn't let Reuter loose on that flank and overlap like crazy.

The Red Viper

Supports
Liverpool
It is, just not in a 4-2-2-2. Think people are not used to the idea in reality though!
4-2-2-2 is a very good formation but both Bochini and Totti were at their best when the game revolved around them. In 4-2-2-2, they were mere add-ons and not the main men. 4-2-2-2 with Iniesta and Rivaldo out wide would work quite well.

The Red Viper

Supports
Liverpool
I haven't voted yet because even though I feel Theon has a slight edge here, Viva can trump if he sorts certain things out. I will vote tomorrow. So, Good Luck to both the teams.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Yep. He should have swapped McGrath with Sol.

Also, I'm a bit surprised Viva hasn't let Reuter loose on that flank and overlap like crazy.
McGrath can actually play right fullback though so he's perfect there to cover Cafu.

The Red Viper

Supports
Liverpool
McGrath can actually play right fullback though so he's perfect there to cover Cafu.
You don't need McGrath to cover Cafu as much as you would need him to cover Rodriguez though.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
You don't need McGrath to cover Cafu as much as you would need him to cover Rodriguez though.
No probably not, but Campbell in full flow was a sight to behold anyway so I don't think the difference is that stark. Campbell was fantastic at his peak, physically you couldn't whittle a finer centre back. Mentally he wasn't at that level and I agree with you on preferring McGrath, but it's not a huge deal IMO.

Also if I can get a tad silly, Passarella was left footed himself so would be more comfortable covering that left side. I'm half joking there, I didn't look into it that deeply but there may be some merit to it.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.

I agree on both counts. Like you say, Seedorf and Breitner are both comfortable fanning out wider, so I see Keane as having plenty of passing options when he's in possession. Theon/MJJ are probably right to say he isn't the type to split defences open too regularly, but he'll keep possession and circulate the ball into dangerous areas quite regularly here.

The back 5 was the best way to go about minimising the damage of the weakest link in the pitch. Theon/MJJ's tactical write up was very strong too, and they make a valid point about the amount of creativity in their attack. I'm going back to read this thread in its entirety now, as I honestly had virtually no idea how I'd vote after looking at the teamsheets.

Kazi

Another very close match-up. I think VivaJanuzaj's midfield gives him the edge but there's still not much in it. Could see Cafu having a lot of success in this match-up, both teams have a lack of width high up the field. Will wait before/if I vote.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
I completely agree with the first part.

The second part, I don't. I think the back 5 is indeed the better option as it naturally counters my attack better, but it really doesn't stop my attack from scoring. A back 5 requires the wing backs to attack much more than the average full back, and that will use Rodriguez's lack of experience to get caught up the pitch by Kalle, to be left one on one vs Campbell, not a bad situation for me definitely.
On the other hand, now that Bochini is gone, as good as his attackers are I don't see a route to goal against my fantastic defense. It's basically Totti Rivaldo and Romario against my entire back four and Keane. Will take a moment of brilliance that even at their best wasn't a daily manner to score here. I just don't think there's any real possibility Theon will score here while I have a great chance to score when young Rodriguez with a free card to roam will get caught against Kalle leaving poor Campbell to deal with him alone.

That's a bold claim against an attack containing Totti, Rivaldo and Romario, with a brilliant supporting cast!

This is a bit of a tangent, but do other people sometimes vote in terms of a manager 'overcommitting' in terms of their arguments? If I'm undecided simply in terms of the line ups and initial tactics, its very often a tie breaker for me - if I think a manager is unrealistically underplaying their opponent's strengths then I view it as the equivalent of a really bad tactical error. Anto is the undisputed best ever at this for me. There's times I read one of his posts and think its way over the top, yet a few posts later he's won me around again! This isn't meant as a personal attack on you Viva, just the drunken ramblings of a man with far too much time on his hands tonight and a dwindling supply of canned Guinness.