The reason why Irish fans dont follow League of Ireland

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Well one of the reasons....

CHIEF EXECUTIVE of the Football Association of Ireland John Delaney was paid €400,000 in 2011, according to accounts obtained by The Irish Times.

This was 7.2 per cent less than the €431,687 Mr Delaney earned in the previous year.

The chief executive receives double the annual salary of Taoiseach Enda Kenny and €151,000 more than President Michael D Higgins. He also earns more than most Irish semi-State bosses.

Mr Delaney’s pay cut was less than the average reduction in wages across the FAI.

The association reduced its overall wage bill by 13.5 per cent last year to €11.3 million as staff numbers declined to 173 from 179.

Mr Delaney’s remuneration has been the subject of much negative comment in recent times given the economic climate and the fact that the FAI receives about €3.4 million annually from the Irish Sports Council.

He has also come under scrutiny recently after video footage of him drinking with Irish fans in Poland at the Euro 2012 championship appeared on the internet.

A spokesman for the football association said the results, which are due to be presented to its annual meeting on July 21st, “were in line with its budget”.

The accounts also show that the FAI cut the grant aid paid to soccer clubs and leagues around the State by €377,000 last year due largely to the spiralling costs of servicing its debts from the redevelopment of the Aviva Stadium.

This was despite a €5.8 million rise in turnover, which was boosted by large attendances at Ireland’s Euro 2012 qualifiers against Armenia and the play-off with Estonia.

While turnover rose to €45 million in 2011, the FAI’s surplus (or profit) declined by just under 20 per cent to €1.17 million.

This resulted in the grant aid paid to affiliates being reduced to just over €1 million last year from €1.4 million in 2010.

The accounts show that the FAI’s interest bill rocketed to €4.8 million in 2011, from €2.1 million in the previous period.

This relates to its bank overdrafts and loans connected with the redevelopment of the Aviva. The football association ended 2011 with net debts of €64.3 million, down from €67.2 million in the previous year.

“We remain on course to have all of our loans fully repaid by 2020,” the directors’ report stated.
Cutting funding to clubs while paying their chief exec more than Spain do.

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky
Every interview he ever takes the interviewer should simply start the interview by nailing him about his wages. It's insane.

Eyepopper

I cannot believe he's on that sort of money, I know the FAI is primarily about jobs for the boys but that's a fecking disgrace.

In comparison the president of the GAA, which is a far better run organisation, despite being amateur, is paid €158,000 per year.

Irwinwastheking

I cannot believe he's on that sort of money, I know the FAI is primarily about jobs for the boys but that's a fecking disgrace.

In comparison the president of the GAA, which is a far better run organisation, despite being amateur, is paid €158,000 per year.
Wages in every aspect of public life for C level execs are overboard. Wasn't there a stat that Enda Kenny is paid more that Obama/Cameron, and Delaney the blundering baboon is paid nearly double that again. Why do we let them away with this shit?

Eyepopper

I'm guessing you missed the first line WP.... but whatever way you want to spin it thats absolutely fecking shocking.

Sport should ultimately be for the benefit of those involved, both players and fans, not about watching those people suffer shit facilities, underfunding and a million other problems while the chief exec of, whats little better than an amateur organisation takes a bigger wage than the fecking president.

I don't care if he's out of bed at 4am everyday and putting in 20 hours a day 7 days a week, there is no way in hell anyone in the FAI should be paid that much.

Just to put that in context its the equivalent of 1c from every euro that goes into the organisation going into his pocket, while at the same time you have clubs going out of business and funding being cut......

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
You have no idea how much I despise Delaney Popper and how disenchanted I am with the league and the shower that runs it, but let's be honest. The number of people who count the corruption and incompetence of the people in charge amongst their reasons for not following the LOI is even smaller than the number of people who actually do follow the LOI.

Eyepopper

OK the reason most people don't follow it is probably because the quality is shite, the quality is shite because the young kids get involved in GAA, the young kids get involved in GAA, partly because its better run a they have better facilities, the GAA is better run and has better facilities because they plough money back into the grass roots, not pay their CE twice as much as the President.

Wonder Pigeon

Supports
Shelbourne
The quality could be great (it's awful) and people would never find out. There's a much more glamourous league right next door, and people can watch that either by flicking on their televisions or by going on a weekend piss-up, and they have always preferred that to LOI and they always will. The trickle-down effect of Delaney being a fecking cnut is a good point, but even if the league was run well, I don't think people would go.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
its sickening that he earns that kind of money and its yet another reason why the FAI is a joke.

The feckin Aviva is empty theses days but delaney does feck all about it.
Grass roots football is terrible and the LOI is pretty dull and dour.
Half that wage is more than enough for that job. Its no wonder all of our decent players head to England or Scotland

But So long as John is getting paid eh.

Eyepopper

Whether more people went or not, which we could argue and debate all night, the money thats lining his pockets being channelled into grass roots football would better serve the people actually involved, which is what it should do..

While we keep paying the likes of delany 400k a year out of a small pot we'll never get to know if the quality would improve and drag in more support.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
The number of people who count the corruption and incompetence of the people in charge amongst their reasons for not following the LOI is even smaller than the number of people who actually do follow the LOI.
I'm one. I'll watch kids play football in a field before I'll give a penny to the people that run football here.

Wonder Pigeon

Supports
Shelbourne
Well okay, I agree with that. The problem with Delaney is that the snide fecker is much smarter than his pisshead public image makes it appear. He's managed to acquire a lot of people within the FAI that are loyal to him while taking out anyone who might prove a threat to his position, Stalin-style. He's even managed to find a way to make money out of the league despite everything: fines. The FAI rakes in money for fines for flares, chants etc. If a manager criticises the ref that's money in John's pocket. The minimum fine the FAI dish out is 300 euro and to appeal any fine costs at least 400. The rules are vague enough that a club can be fined basically for anything.

He makes himself look like a gobshite when he's basically the devil.

Eyepopper

I'm one. I'll watch kids play football in a field before I'll give a penny to the people that run football here.
Yeah, me too, and thats before I saw what Delanys is pulling out.

Eyepopper

Anyway, the reason I gave the thread the title I did was because generally Irish fans get the glory hunter shit thrown at them and asked why they don't follow league of Ireland..... well, this is one of the lesser known reasons.

Plan M

I will never understand how the Irish can despise England and the English yet support our football clubs but there we go.

I could never support a Scottish or Irish club, it would feel weird as I don't have any affiliation with the countries whatsoever.

But the OP is a load of bollocks. People who aren't from Manchester support United because we are successful and a global brand.

I never bump into Irish people on holiday who support Brentford, for example. It's always Man Utd, Liverpool or Celtic.

Respect to Wonder Pigeon though, you are passionate about Shamrock Rovers IIRC?

Irwinwastheking

Plan M, you come over here and watch a typical League of Ireland game and you'll know why we watch the Premier League.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Anyway, the reason I gave the thread the title I did was because generally Irish fans get the glory hunter shit thrown at them and asked why they don't follow league of Ireland..... well, this is one of the lesser known reasons.
Don't want to spend a cent on Irish football because of Delaney. But happy to spend a few quid on Utd, owned by the Glazers?

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
I will never understand how the Irish can despise England and the English yet support our football clubs but there we go.

I could never support a Scottish or Irish club, it would feel weird as I don't have any affiliation with the countries whatsoever.

But the OP is a load of bollocks. People who aren't from Manchester support United because we are successful and a global brand.

I never bump into Irish people on holiday who support Brentford, for example. It's always Man Utd, Liverpool or Celtic.

I don't think many normal decent fans despise English people or the country. Issues with certain aspects, sure. But not all round hate.

But Ireland and English football have history going back years and years, so it is no surprise it is so popular.

That's not to say we don't have our fair share of Irish glory hunters.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
Plan M;11910895[B said:
]I will never understand how the Irish can despise England and the English yet support our football clubs but there we go.
[/B]

Any Irish man that hates England, or it's people is a knob, it doesn't happen as much as you think.

LOI, is terrible quality, I support Shelbourne, not nearly as much as WP, but I do go to a few games when I can and the quality is about similar to league 2/bsp teams, apart from one or two teams that could maybe mix it in League One.

Eyepopper

Don't want to spend a cent on Irish football because of Delaney. But happy to spend a few quid on Utd, owned by the Glazers?
Does Delaney own Irish football then?

Or are you just talking through your hole? Maybe you've been reading too much Plan M.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Yeah, me too, and thats before I saw what Delanys is pulling out.
Does Delaney own Irish football then?

Or are you just talking through your hole? Maybe you've been reading too much Plan M.
Above you agreed with a post saying you refuse to give a penny to
Irish football due to your dislike of its governing body.

I assume you dislike Utd's owners but I also assume you do not object to going to the odd game etc...

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck
Why don't I follow it? Numerous reasons, but mainly because I don't find the league entertaining.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
If Delaney is on that money then its a fecking disgrace, fire the stupid bastard and hire someone twice as competent at half the price and take that 200 grand and add it to the coffers for a new manager. Ireland cronyism at its best!

Wonder Pigeon

Supports
Shelbourne

I think I just threw up a little.

Just got back from watching Shels hammer Dundalk 4-0. It might be Dundalk's last game. The result may be expunged from the record. A lot of Dundalk's small crowd started leaving before the end. Depressing.

JakeC

I think I just threw up a little.

Just got back from watching Shels hammer Dundalk 4-0. It might be Dundalk's last game. The result may be expunged from the record. A lot of Dundalk's small crowd started leaving before the end. Depressing.
Who scored?

Wonder Pigeon

Supports
Shelbourne
Gorman with two, Dawson and an own goal. Dundalk played like dead men walking. Bennion played in goal for us, we just signed him today.

JakeC

I heard that Gorman scored two headers, would be brilliant to keep him on form.

Yeah I heard we signed a keeper today, hadn't heard his name, did he do well?

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff

Wow.

acnumber9

What does the Northern Irish equivalent get, out of interest?
More than they deserve. The league here is worse run than yours. The lack of interest in developing players is sickening.

Stephen87

Its a disgrace really with the amount he's on compared to the current disaster the league is in. Monaghan went out of the league last month for financial reasons and now Dundalk could be going bust as well. FAI don't pay attention to the League of Ireland and the competition prizes should be higher.

I read last week that it costs around €20,000 for a team to register in the LOI and to win the league the prize is around €17,000. That's insane when you compare it with any other league in the world, there should be more support for League of Ireland clubs and invest more money into the league and promotion of the league. On the run up to this season there was no promotion for the upcoming season bar one tv ad for Monday Night Soccer.

The audience is out there for the League. Look how many Irish fans went to Poland, they spent a fortune to go and many fans go every week to English games on a Saturday but couldn't be arsed to pay €10-€15 to go to a game on Friday night. There's little excuse for not going many people say the standard is low, of course it is low there's no money but the league still produces good players. The more fans that go, the more money that comes in, the better standard of players.

Bit of a rant but its annoying to see all these football fans over here with absolutely no interest in Irish football. Was in the pub last night when a "Liverpool" fan came over to a table of LOI fans and claimed how much he loved the club and showed us his liver bird tattoo. Then goes on to say that they've won the European cup 4 times and didn't know the second name of Bill Shankly....