The RedCafe Boxing Thread

Abraxas

Gonna be pretty hard for Okolie to get that.

Back to the drawing board. Needs more respect for the technique of boxing instead of trying to strong man everything and get one punch KOs.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Thanks, lads! Seconded your tip and followed Okolie, a decent and entertaining fight.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
I wonder what other boxers think of this fight. Okolie has held a lot but clearly Smith & his team were expecting that & have played on it. I don’t like to see boxers crying to the ref

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
I wonder what other boxers think of this fight. Okolie has held a lot but clearly Smith & his team were expecting that & have played on it. I don’t like to see boxers crying to the ref
I reckon the ‘boxers’ out there will look at Okolies charge-and-hold shite and think it’s a good thing he’s been punished for it

Glorio

Okolie was his usual messy self, but was hard done by with 2 false knockdowns.

I suppose when you forward wrestle like he does, you run that risk

Abraxas

CBS fought a smart fight. Seemed to have every angle covered. Defended Okolie's swings, landed some big counters, and really gritted it out. Nasty cut too. His work rate was a bit low, he needed those knock-downs, but I guess who cares, he got them. A bit of luck with the refs calls on the knock-downs perhaps.

Yeah they exploited Okolie holding, but it's like sending in a bad tackle and the other team alerting the ref. Looks annoying.. but ultimately don't send in the bad tackles. That's where the fault lies. Can't really fault the guy pointing out the consistent cheating more then the guy doing it.

AnotherLondonManc

Delighted to see Okolie get called on his incessant holding. Honestly, one of the most frustrating fighters to watch.

Hopefully he'll sort out his technique moving forward instead of relying on cheating to scrape wins

Abraxas

Hard to keep track of Wood while watching that. Every time I look up Wood seems to be outboxing him.

Abraxas

Looks like a near shut out for Wood with a knockdown too. Easy, boxed completely at his own pace - like sparring.

Lara horrendous, not sure he was all there tonight.

Glorio

Okolie is such a strange boxer . Never seen anyone hold so much even after landing
Honestly I felt the holding was hurting more than helping him tonight. He was landing quite early in the fight when he was keeping distance between them, but even when he was better off taking advantage by actually punching after landing clean on CBS, he went on to hold him. :houllier:

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
So, thoughts on Spence-Crawford? Who we got?

I think Tank-Garcia doing as well as it did on PPV probably pushed this over the line. Would have been a travesty if this didn't get made.

I'm confident Fury-Usyk happens in the winter, all the postering the last few months is just build up while they wait on the UAE money.

Hopefully Beterbiev-Bivol gets over the line too.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Just caught up with the Okolie fight. I’m glad the ref deducted points because he’s such a difficult fighter to root for with his tactics.

I can’t see any reason to watch an Okolie fight.

G-manc

Just caught up with the Okolie fight. I’m glad the ref deducted points because he’s such a difficult fighter to root for with his tactics.

I can’t see any reason to watch an Okolie fight.
Yeah, he’s a really hard watch isn’t he.

I think Ben Shalom has shown his naivety a bit by chucking a load of money at him whereas matchroom knew he wasn’t worth those sums.

It was a really poor fight; Billam-Smith wasn’t great either.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Spence vs Crawford will be a banger but the fight i want to see most right now is Shakur vs Haney. Tank is a monster too but those two are a little ahead of him i think. How do the caf boxing experts have those three ranked?

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Spence vs Crawford will be a banger but the fight i want to see most right now is Shakur vs Haney. Tank is a monster too but those two are a little ahead of him i think. How do the caf boxing experts have those three ranked?
Shakur I think beats them both. He's destined for the very top IMO.

Haney-Tank is a toss-up for me, would probably slightly favour Haney.

Baneofthegame

Shakur I think beats them both. He's destined for the very top IMO.

Haney-Tank is a toss-up for me, would probably slightly favour Haney.
Agreed with this, think Shakir beats both, Tank does have massive power which makes me think he will catch Haney eventually but it would be a good fight.

Baneofthegame

Okolie needs to sort out his octopus style, I’m glad the ref deducted points from him, although he also was given two knockdowns that were fortunate to be given in my opinion.

But his style for the fight basically made it that way, punch then hold/grab is not only awful to watch but actually smothers his own work.

That 112-112 scorecard was actually mental.

Abraxas

I think I'd take Crawford.

Spence has the size and presence and volume to make it a really tough night. He's a big welter. Really a great big man should beat a great smaller man. But I think Crawford is potentially in a different category of great. An all timer if he wins this. I think he really needs a win like this to talk about legacies and going down in history. His record doesn't really match his ability and dominance.

Nico87

Taylor lost over the weekend, a title that he shouldn’t have had anyway.

Mayweather also fought some infamous Gangsters son/grandson in one of his exhibitions that almost descended into a riot with, him attacking Mayweather after the bell. Numerous members in both teams and also fans then attacking each other. Int on these exhibitions is waning and I’m curious if his hunger for the spot light will supersede his fear of losing his zero ( and tarnishing his legacy) and he will be drawn back.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Taylor lost over the weekend, a title that he shouldn’t have had anyway.

Mayweather also fought some infamous Gangsters son/grandson in one of his exhibitions that almost descended into a riot with, him attacking Mayweather after the bell. Numerous members in both teams and also fans then attacking each other. Int on these exhibitions is waning and I’m curious if his hunger for the spot light will supersede his fear of losing his zero ( and tarnishing his legacy) and he will be drawn back.
I watched the Taylor fight yesterday, surprised there wasn’t any interest on here. Deserved loss as well, arguably should have been further on the cards.

SambaBoy

Taylor done at elite level
I think that may be a bit harsh.

Teofimo was brilliant on the night. I think Taylor changing trainers was a bad move for him and he didn't really have a plan B. That Teo would be pretty hard to beat however - that was the one in with Loma - not the version we seen against Kambosos and the fights since.

On the Taylor remark, it's easy to look at the Catteral and Lopez fight and think he's done at the top level but I still think he can compete and get back a world title.

M15 Red.

Teofimo was brilliant on the night. I think Taylor changing trainers was a bad move for him and he didn't really have a plan B. That Teo would be pretty hard to beat however - that was the one in with Loma - not the version we seen against Kambosos and the fights since.

On the Taylor remark, it's easy to look at the Catteral and Lopez fight and think he's done at the top level but I still think he can compete and get back a world title.
Teofimo did fight a very smart fight. It was good to see him revert back to his boxing instead of just trying to take people's heads off.

Taylor though has hung around for far too long at 140, and with the injuries he's suffered, I think stepping up to 147 has come too late for him. I'd be very surprised if he could take out any of Spence, Crawford or Ennis at welterweight.

Kazi

I’m sure he can still win a world title but no longer will be considered in top 10 p4p lists

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Teofimo did fight a very smart fight. It was good to see him revert back to his boxing instead of just trying to take people's heads off.

Taylor though has hung around for far too long at 140, and with the injuries he's suffered, I think stepping up to 147 has come too late for him. I'd be very surprised if he could take out any of Spence, Crawford or Ennis at welterweight.
Wasn't ever on Spence or Crawford's level anyway even during his peak.

Abraxas

I don't think Taylor has it anymore. He made the same mistakes he did against Catterall. Wading in with no jab, falling in, smothering his own work. Everything seems to be a struggle rather than smooth.

I think he tried to write the Catterall one off as a bad night at the office but when you see the same things again it starts to look more like he's lost a step or two.

Still, he can chalk it up to a weight cut which is what most aging fighters do.

SambaBoy

Canelo agreed to fight Jermell Charlo. Strange move really when everyone expected him to fight his brother, Jermell coming up two weight divisions is surely too much of an ask.

G-manc

Anyone watch the DAZN and Sky shows last night?

Pat McCormack looks class but they’ll have to move him along at 28.

Ben Whitaker - clearly talented but I can’t make my mind up whether the brashness is tongue-in-cheek, he’s a genuine tit or a combination of both.

Crews-Dezurn v Marshall - just awful and devoid of any quality. The disparities in class between the decent female fighters and the rest is huge.

Baneofthegame

Ben Whitaker - clearly talented but I can’t make my mind up whether the brashness is tongue-in-cheek, he’s a genuine tit or a combination of both.

Crews-Dezurn v Marshall - just awful and devoid of any quality. The disparities in class between the decent female fighters and the rest is huge.
I did, was a fairly shit card, Whitaker styling on taxi drivers is pathetic to be honest in my opinion.

On a side note for Taylor, still basically robbed and then ducked Catterall.

Canelo bringing up Charlo two divisions so he can avoid Timmy is also hilarious, fight Benavidez ffs.

Glorio

Yup ... Premature knockout on the Whitaker fight. Needs to fight more serious people a couple of levels above his current opponents to keep developing.

Jonas was really good, I felt. Not sure she took one hit the whole fight.

Crews-Dezurn is basically Lawrence Okolie to a much worse degree. Okolie can at least fight, she's basically a wrestler - shockingly good singer though

Greyfog

Supports
Enugu Rangers
Yup ... Premature knockout on the Whitaker fight. Needs to fight more serious people a couple of levels above his current opponents to keep developing.

Jonas was really good, I felt. Not sure she took one hit the whole fight.

Crews-Dezurn is basically Lawrence Okolie to a much worse degree. Okolie can at least fight, she's basically a wrestler - shockingly good singer though
Best thing about the fight was her singing the National anthem. Likened her to Chisora. Swing and not much more