The RedCafe Boxing Thread

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
Have a look at some of his videos. It is all very bizarre. He lives in a world of pure fantasy. The internet age means that the whole world can see it too.
Now that you mention it I remember this guy from a while back getting an in ring beating from Mayweather Snr. and then trying to sucker punch him when he got knocked out of the ring. I had no idea he had mental issues back when I first saw that but when you put everything together I think its clear that he need some kind of help.

Edit: video below:

Last edited:

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
I can't believe that is actually a licensed fight. Zelenoff looks like he has never been hit before in his life!

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
After seeing Mayweather struggle and complain incessantly to the ref against a rough house fighter like Maidana, does anybody now think that Mayweather would not have got totally eaten up by Duran if they had fought?
If he fought like he did against Maidana then Duran would maul him, without question. I can't imagine he'd come in that flat-footed against a Duran though, and some of Duran's worst nights were against quick, defensively skilled fighters who wouldn't engage with him (Benitez, Leonard II etc). Then again not only Maidana but Castillo gave Floyd real problems, and they're both similar in style but levels below Duran. I'd like to think Duran would pummel him because I love Duran and hate Floyd, but its not easy to call.

evra

Bitten by an adder as a baby, the adder died.
Thoughts on the boxing this weekend chaps? Good card in Wales, fancy Rees to get the decisions this time (the last fight with Buckland was an absolute robbery). The Marquez fight will be very interesting, if he still has anything in the tank he should take care of Alvarado but he is at a height and reach disadvantage so it's not cut and dry.

evra

Watching the fight I thought Stiverne was letting it slip away from him. Nipple was busier, more aggressive, and landing more shots.

I fancy Stiverne to stop Wilder if that fight actually happens. I don't think he has the size to trouble Wlad, unfortunately.

I'm with you there, I bet the odds will be great too considering the hype surrounding Wilder. There isn't a boxer alive who could beat Wlad at the moment, the drop off from him to the next best boxer (probably Pulev) is bigger than almost any other weight class.

Lance Uppercut

JMM by UD. Alvarado managed to get beaten up by Rios who, quite frankly, sucks. A face first brawler. Yes, he won the rematch, but JMM seems like the sensible pick.

Alvarado is also coming off a beating from Provodnikov.

eddiebb

gobshite
I'm so excited by the British SMW scene. It's really a division where Brits could claim unprecedented levels of success with 5 or 6 of the world's top 10 fighters IMO. I know people like to talk about the British lightweight division but it's not a patch on SMW to me, it's barely got a single international class fighter, never mind a whole group of them.

eddiebb

gobshite
Looks like he carried up some power to me, although it was clear the opponent wasn't up to much. I think Clev's biggest problem is that he has Audley-itis tbh, I think he's too clever a guy and worries and thinks about things too much. Oh and also that he has that Calzaghe slapping punching style, it must cost him so much power.

EDIT: Having said that though, there's no question for me that he's vastly better than the grossly overrated Bellew.

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
He's technically better than Bellew, however Bellew's decision to move up makes more sense as he has some power. I also don't see any real signs of increased power from Cleverly tonight, but I wasn't expected to considering the opponent's record.

eddiebb

gobshite
I think Bellew's power is vastly overstated tbh, he's only got a rep for it because he was a good puncher at amateur level and because he tells everyone all the time just how good it is. He's also got a glass chin too. But he has heart that Cleverly lacks (I don't think Cleverly lacks bottle but he certainly doesn't have that fighter's heart if he's getting beaten).

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
I'm certainly not saying Bellew has anything approaching exceptional power, however it is there as opposed to Cleverly where it isn't so the step up in weight makes more sense for Bellew than Cleverly. I also wouldn't say that Bellew has a glass jaw as he has been able to take a fair few good shots over his career. However overall I rate Cleverly as a superior fighter to Bellew, I just can't understand the step up in weight other than to get away from Kovalev.

Member 39557

Just watched Travis Dickinson vs Matty Clarkson on Channel 5. It was like watching a real life fight from a Rocky Film. You need to see this fight on youtube, or whatever!

evra

JMM by UD. Alvarado managed to get beaten up by Rios who, quite frankly, sucks. A face first brawler. Yes, he won the rematch, but JMM seems like the sensible pick.

Alvarado is also coming off a beating from Provodnikov.

Hope so, already called the Rees fight correctly and I had money on Callum Smith to win by ko at the frankly absurd price of 4/11, basically free money.

eddiebb

gobshite
No idea why, but there's a half decent boxing card on tonight with Kal Yafai, Steve Smith and Gavin McDonnell amongst others.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Groves looks very confused as to how Froch is acting.

Froch will either go mental and try to kill Groves in the first round or he really is as calm as he appears and will box sensibly. Can't wait for next week!!

Last edited:

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Any idea what time Froch v Groves is expected to start?

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
It is interesting that Froch now seems to be winning the psychological warfare. He looks a lot more relaxed and at peace with himself.

Not that you can read too much into those face offs: Pacquiao looked like a bashful schoolboy in his with Tim Bradley, in the ring it was a different story.

I am really looking forward to this fight, 'pumped' as they say in America.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Just watched the video up there. Funny how Groves just zoned out for like 2 whole minutes towards the end :lol:

Member 39557

Just so happen to catch on SSN they're gunna be making their way to the ring at 9.45.

Quite early.
If that's true, it's probably due to getting everybody out of the stadium and onto the tube at a reasonable hour.

Lance Uppercut

Just so happen to catch on SSN they're gunna be making their way to the ring at 9.45.

Quite early.
My local pub will be upset. They are advertising free entry for the fight before 10pm. :lol:

Member 39557

For this fight, yes. After 10pm.
Blimey. I've not known any of my local pubs to do that before! Good idea to get everybody in early and supposedly buying more beer though. As per most sporting events, nobody wants to be stood at the bar when the sport is on.