Gaming The RedCafe General/Random Gaming Chat Thread

b82REZ

Can anyone recommend some good Switch exclusives? I feel like I don’t play it anywhere near as much as I should, and I don’t want to sell it because I know I’m going to want to get the new Pokémon game when that’s out.

Asking for exclusives because given the choice between PlayStation and Switch, I’ll go PlayStation every time. I needs my trophies.

The PlayStation games I’ve enjoyed recently have been the likes of Mass Effect, Red Dead Redemption, Ratchet and Clank, Ghost of Tsushima, and Yakuza: Like a Dragon. So something with a good story would be nice.

Because I know it’s a super obvious one, I will say I’ve already played BOTW.
Fire Emblem: Three Houses.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Just finished it. I don’t think I’ve died as many times in a single video game as I did in this thing :lol:

Genuinely loved and very much hated some of the puzzles in equal measures, there were some that took me a good few deaths before I found the solution, but that’s a good thing.

I’m not sure I completely understand what it was about but it felt like quite a sad tale of death, very abrupt and melancholic ending which I liked

Did you ever play Valiant Hearts? Similar in the sense it’s a puzzle platformer with a great story to tell and made with just as much love as limbo. There were times in that I had tears in my eyes. Great soundtrack too.

I played it years ago and am going to download it again as I enjoyed Limbo so much.
Oh nice, thought you'd like it :)

I know what you mean about the puzzles. I love how they're tied to the environment and how each death becomes trial and error to figure the correct solution. It's very rewarding I think and I'm a big fan of those sort of games, like Braid and Celeste also. I'll check out Valiant Hearts. Is it similar?

The ending doesn't give much away does it? Bare with my pretension but I've always thought of it like a modern interpretation of the Orpheus myth where he ventures into Tartarus to save Eurydice. I don't know if I'm reading too much into it but the name LIMBO has always made me think that.

There's lots of ambiguity though and it's difficult to know if it actually happens or if it it's all just a dream!

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Oh nice, thought you'd like it :)

I know what you mean about the puzzles. I love how they're tied to the environment and how each death becomes trial and error to figure the correct solution. It's very rewarding I think and I'm a big fan of those sort of games, like Braid and Celeste also. I'll check out Valiant Hearts. Is it similar?

The ending doesn't give much away does it? Bare with my pretension but I've always thought of it like a modern interpretation of the Orpheus myth where he ventures into Tartarus to save Eurydice. I don't know if I'm reading too much into it but the name LIMBO has always made me think that.

There's lots of ambiguity though and it's difficult to know if it actually happens or if it it's all just a dream!
I took it in a literal sense that the boy had died and the game was his escape from limbo. He saw the girl (his sister / girlfriend?) burying him at the end and he was free.

Valiant hearts isn’t the same, physics based environmental puzzles, but it’s similar in the sense that’s it’s a sideways scroller with simple graphics and a pure vision that hits your emotions. The puzzles aren’t too taxing but the story and atmosphere are brilliant. I’m playing it now :lol:

It’s more of an interactive history lesson about WW1 and there are some genuinely emotional moments. One of the first games I played on PS4, it was one of the first monthly freebies IIRC and I came away loving it.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I took it in a literal sense that the boy had died and the game was his escape from limbo. He saw the girl (his sister / girlfriend?) burying him at the end and he was free.

Valiant hearts isn’t the same, physics based environmental puzzles, but it’s similar in the sense that’s it’s a sideways scroller with simple graphics and a pure vision that hits your emotions. The puzzles aren’t too taxing but the story and atmosphere are brilliant. I’m playing it now :lol:

It’s more of an interactive history lesson about WW1 and there are some genuinely emotional moments. One of the first games I played on PS4, it was one of the first monthly freebies IIRC and I came away loving it.
That's also a good interpretation. Probably truer than my desire to see allegories to greek myths in everything (though I do a good myth).

Re: Valiant Hearts. It's on sale for a fiver on Switch so I'll give it a go. Will share my thoughts after :)

Volumiza

That's also a good interpretation. Probably truer than my desire to see allegories to greek myths in everything (though I do a good myth).

Re: Valiant Hearts. It's on sale for a fiver on Switch so I'll give it a go. Will share my thoughts after :)
They did another one called Child of Light. A side scrolling rpg that was very good too, that’s on switch also.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
How did you find the strength not to? :lol:
I tend to think, can I justify it ?
Will I use it as much as I would ?
I just dont think I can justify it and I think the PS5 will eventually end up just being a glorified blu-ray player, which wasn't dissimilar to my PS4 which I sold off recently.

Also, I dont really care for either game.

Volumiza

I tend to think, can I justify it ?
Will I use it as much as I would ?
I just dont think I can justify it and I think the PS5 will eventually end up just being a glorified blu-ray player, which wasn't dissimilar to my PS4 which I sold off recently.

Also, I dont really care for either game.
We’ll done Frank, I wish I’d got your self control :)

Superunknown

I never got around to playing Shenmue when I was growing up, and I've waited and waited for the right time to sit down and enjoy it. A few nights ago, I was browsing the PSN store and just thought "feck it" and bought 1, 2 and 3. These last few days, I've buried myself deep into the game. I've had a fecking brilliant time. It's...very strange. I suddenly feel transported back in time and I'm playing the game like 12/13 year old me would play the game. Everything feels new and exciting. I can say for sure that this game would have blown me away completely had I played it at the time.

In short, I'm really enjoying myself. :drool:

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
I never got around to playing Shenmue when I was growing up, and I've waited and waited for the right time to sit down and enjoy it. A few nights ago, I was browsing the PSN store and just thought "feck it" and bought 1, 2 and 3. These last few days, I've buried myself deep into the game. I've had a fecking brilliant time. It's...very strange. I suddenly feel transported back in time and I'm playing the game like 12/13 year old me would play the game. Everything feels new and exciting. I can say for sure that this game would have blown me away completely had I played it at the time.

It's definitely a case of you either get it or you don't with those games.

It's the atmosphere for me that does it. It did then, it does now.

Superunknown

It's definitely a case of you either get it or you don't with those games.

It's the atmosphere for me that does it. It did then, it does now.
Completely agree. I've got a friend who played it recently and hated it, and usually our tastes align.

I get what you mean by the atmosphere. I'm strolling through Dobuita and it feels like a real place to me. It even makes sense in terms of layout, how the bars and clubs are placed where they are. I love the way that people all have their routines. It feels alive and genuinely real. I do feel like an amateur detective trying to get hold of the right information. It just clicks for me.

caid

I played the first 2 Shenmue when they were released and adored them. Kind of reluctant to pick up Shenmue 3 because i just cant imagine it aging well and being good today. Did get it free on the epic store yesterday though so maybe i should give it a go.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"

The first game is brilliant the way it draws you into the small town and fleshes out almost every interaction. You have times where you're just sat there waiting for something to happen and it hits you like a brick wall of nostalgia that's how life kinda used to be back in the days without phones. It's aged poorly as a game but as a moment in gaming history it's still special.

The only other game I could compare to it is Everybody's Gone to the Rapture.

Irwin99

I'm pleased a new player is enjoying Shenmue as a lot of people say it's aged badly and, well... it kind of has in some ways, but it was a ridiculously influential and ground-breaking game at the time. It was amazing back then to be in a world where every character seemed to have routines and so much was interactive.

Superunknown

I played the first 2 Shenmue when they were released and adored them. Kind of reluctant to pick up Shenmue 3 because i just cant imagine it aging well and being good today. Did get it free on the epic store yesterday though so maybe i should give it a go.
Play 3, but try and imagine it's the younger version of you playing the game. There's something quite refreshing that I'm finding about the first game. Like you're being taken back to a simpler time.

The first game is brilliant the way it draws you into the small town and fleshes out almost every interaction. You have times where you're just sat there waiting for something to happen and it hits you like a brick wall of nostalgia that's how life kinda used to be back in the days without phones. It's aged poorly as a game but as a moment in gaming history it's still special.

The only other game I could compare to it is Everybody's Gone to the Rapture.
I agree with this and know exactly what you mean. I've loved little moments where I need to find key information about where to go next or where somebody is, and you get a different conversation by speaking to different people. It doesn't feel copy and pasted, and it does feel like there's a genuine effort made to make each person in the town have their own personality and character. It's a believable word and there's nice little touches of realism. I've loved the weather effects and how the day/night system is implemented.

I've got a lot of nice things to say about Everybody's Gone to the Rapture. I played it through twice and am very fond of the game. It's beautiful, haunting, emotional, and was an interesting experience. I found myself thinking about that game for a long time after playing it.

I'm pleased a new player is enjoying Shenmue as a lot of people say it's aged badly and, well... it kind of has in some ways, but it was a ridiculously influential and ground-breaking game at the time. It was amazing back then to be in a world where every character seemed to have routines and so much was interactive.
It's all a bit mad. The game is 20+ years old, and the tech has no doubt advanced loads since then. But, I find myself looking at this feeling rather impressed that they were able to achieve this in 1999. It's a brilliant feat of storytelling and worldbuilding. It might not be the prettiest looking game now, but I think the storytelling, characters, music, and atmosphere all hold up very well. I can imagine younger me being blown away by this at the time and I've got a tinge of regret that I didn't play this at the time. But, better late than never.

Out of curiosity, I've been reading up on the game online and it really does have mixed opinions about it. A bit surprised by this, but I guess you can't please everyone. I'm a little shocked at just how divided people are about it. Maybe the slow pace of the game at times puts people off, but I don't mind that one bit. It's a refreshing change of pace.

Irwin99

Was thinking about this yesterday. One of the best intros ever :drool:

Surprised this hasn't been remade/rebooted considering Dark Souls popularity and influence. I know it's more puzzle/story orientated than DS from what I remember but it had a hard difficulty level and a morbidly gloomy atmosphere. Wonder if it will ever get a chance to shine again.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Bit late to the party but damn Streets of Rage 4 is awesome. Pretty tough too. Immediately bought the DLC for the extra characters. Perfect Switch game.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Going to reinstall Witcher 3 after watching the show. Only played it once and I've not read the books so should find some new things in there.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Going to reinstall Witcher 3 after watching the show. Only played it once and I've not read the books so should find some new things in there.
Do you have a next gen console? If so might be worth holding off to see what the next gen update is like?

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Do you have a next gen console? If so might be worth holding off to see what the next gen update is like?
No I only have PS4 and won't be getting a PS5 for a couple of years I guess, still have loads of games to catch up on with the PS4 I've not started yet.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
No I only have PS4 and won't be getting a PS5 for a couple of years I guess, still have loads of games to catch up on with the PS4 I've not started yet.
That’s fair enough. I replayed the Witcher afew years ago and it’s a huge commitment but I’m glad I did because I ended up doing the whole game plus DLCs which were exceptional.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Anyone played The Messenger? Currently going through it. Starts like Ninja Gaiden and eventually becomes a Metroidvania.

I'm nearly half way through and loving it!

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Was thinking about this yesterday. One of the best intros ever :drool:

Surprised this hasn't been remade/rebooted considering Dark Souls popularity and influence. I know it's more puzzle/story orientated than DS from what I remember but it had a hard difficulty level and a morbidly gloomy atmosphere. Wonder if it will ever get a chance to shine again.
Soul Reaver was fantastic.

caid

Really struggling to beat the final bosses on the very last level. Any tips (that aren't git gud) ?
Stay in the top left corner for the big robot. Dont stay on the same line as the fencer - you basically dont want to be on the same line as her till you're in throw range.

Keep meaning to play that. How does it compare to 2?
Its quite a bit better, its pretty surprising how much of an improvement its is considering how few games in the genre have been made in the meantime.

AaronRedDevil

Just bought BF4 since it's on sale for 8 quid. Fecking embarrassed I bought 2024. Gonna take about 2 years for that game to come good. IF they even want to..

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Keep meaning to play that. How does it compare to 2?
Definitely worth a purchase. Feels like a big step forward from the older games tbh with loads of combo's for each character which makes the combat really satisfying.

Stay in the top left corner for the big robot. Dont stay on the same line as the fencer - you basically dont want to be on the same line as her till you're in throw range.
Cheers.

b82REZ

Anyone played The Messenger? Currently going through it. Starts like Ninja Gaiden and eventually becomes a Metroidvania.

I'm nearly half way through and loving it!
It's amazing. I was recommending it in the Metroid Dread thread a few months back.

The team that made it are releasing a JRPG next which looks really good as well.