Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Rise of the Planet of the Apes (2011)

Excellent.

8/10

diarm

Watched The King on Netflix last night which is a theatrical interpretation of the rise of Henry V and the Battle of Agincourt. It's certainly one of the their better movie efforts (although granted that's not saying much). Michod is building a decent body of work and he's got a good cast to work with here. Joel Edgerton who also produces takes on a kind of Russell Crowe weary old warrior role, Robert Pattinson hams it up delightfully with a ludicrous french accent and Sean Harris plays his standard shifty evil cnut role. Timothy Chalamet who I'm not familiar with carries the pic well to be fair. I could buy him as a young King although the scenes where he's in combat are less believable. Speaking of the combat there are a few decent battle scenes and some effectively jarring moments of violence. Worth a watch.
I enjoyed this but weirdly, where I feel a good few of Netflix series would've been better off as films (of certainly less episodes), I came away feeling this one would've been better over say six or eight parts.

There were potentially interesting characters (his brother, his sister, his wife and the French king and his son) who all felt like rushed characters who could have been developed better and had more impact over a series.

Plus there were key scenes and crucial events which felt rushed and shallow, particularly in the final minutes of the film.

It wasn't bad, I just felt they casted the parts really well and I would like to have seen the characters developed more.

ChrisNelson

Black And Blue (2019)

Naomie Harris is a rookie New Orleans cop who witnesses an execution by 3 corrupt cops and films it on her bodycam. Cue virtually the entire department chasing her around the city so she can't get back to HQ to download the footage and make them face justice.

This was one I had been keen to see for a while, the trailer looked fantastic and I had to travel a fair way to catch it as it seemed to have a limited release.

Very good film though, led by a great performance from Harris. The plot has echoes of SWAT and 16 Blocks but I think it outdoes them both in terms of action and excitement.

Definitely worth nearly getting stranded in Yorkshire for! 8.5/10

Mystry

Friendship is magic
The Aeronauts - Two people attempt the highest ascent in a balloon, one's a meteorologist hoping to make new discoveries and the other is the pilot whose husband died on a previous attempt. It's okay. Pretty at times, tense in others, just doesn't really fill you up. Most of the movie is just the two characters in a balloon together so it's the kind of film that lives and dies by its central performances. Felicity Jones holds up her end for the most part but you feel left wanting more from Eddie Redmayne, especially knowing what he's capable of. 6.5/10

Archie Leach

Gooner
Supports
Arsenal
Tokyo Story - second Ozu I’ve seen. Late Spring left me cold with its overwhelming banality. Tokyo Story hit me like a tonne of bricks, the difference maybe in the acknowledgment of parental failure as well as the selfishness of the younger generation, a bit more pointed.

Persona -
I feel like I need a cigarette after that.

AaronRedDevil

The Irishman

Fate decided I had to watch this movie in the cinema. Was going to see Midway but the cinema was being painted so it opened an hour later. Decided to see the Irishman because I'm not going to watch fecking maleficent.

Honestly I was surprised how much I really enjoyed this movie. Its 3 and a half hours long and it didn't even feel drawn out. It just felt like it was taking it's time telling a good story. I was basically glued to the screen watching De Niro, Al Pacino and Joe Pesci rule the scenes. They finally did Niro and Pacino some justice after some horrible roles They've been in. Pretty much every single actor who played a gangster once was in this movie. He got Everyone! The actor who played Tony Soprano would have been in this had the guy not passed away. Guy in it was called fat tony, smoking a cigar.

Anyway it has great moments, great acting, and some good action in it that didn't feel over the top, but very realistic. I'd even watch it again. I'll give a 9/10

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Trading Places (1983)
Hadn't seen this in years, but it was on last night. Brash, funny and unsubtle in classic '80s Eddie Murphy style.
On one level the film's message is that given the opportunity, anyone can excel (or be a heel), regardless of background or race.
I'd forgotten Jamie Lee Curtis was in it and not sure some scenes would be made these days, eg Dan Ackroyd blacking up and smoking a joint with his dodgy Jamaican accent. It's probably what inspired the bear raping Leo scene in Revenant too.
It's still funny 8/10

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark
A group of friends stumble across a lost book and it starts writing their deaths, which begin to happen in their real life. Shot well and had done good build up to certain scare scenes but overall, it was not very good. Poor acting, the scares themselves weren't great, the comedy didn't work and the characters were all flat 4/10

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Trading Places (1983)
Hadn't seen this in years, but it was on last night. Brash, funny and unsubtle in classic '80s Eddie Murphy style.
On one level the film's message is that given the opportunity, anyone can excel (or be a heel), regardless of background or race.
I'd forgotten Jamie Lee Curtis was in it and not sure some scenes would be made these days, eg Dan Ackroyd blacking up and smoking a joint with his dodgy Jamaican accent. It's probably what inspired the bear raping Leo scene in Revenant too.
It's still funny 8/10
I watched this a few days ago. Good movie indeed. I think Eddie Murphy was only 22/23 years old.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Hellboy (2019)
Pointless remake. Bad effects, plot all over the place. Just didn't see the need for this. Sone good songs in it though 3/10

An Affair To Die For

A couple having an affair end up in a deadly game of cat and mouse when one of the partners finds out and turns them against each other. The premise was actually quite interesting. But the execution was a joke. The characters were also so unlikeable 3/10

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Let It Snow I watched this young adult Christmas romcom with a due sense of dread but it was harmless enough. 4.5/10

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
The Irishman

Fate decided I had to watch this movie in the cinema. Was going to see Midway but the cinema was being painted so it opened an hour later. Decided to see the Irishman because I'm not going to watch fecking maleficent.

Honestly I was surprised how much I really enjoyed this movie. Its 3 and a half hours long and it didn't even feel drawn out. It just felt like it was taking it's time telling a good story. I was basically glued to the screen watching De Niro, Al Pacino and Joe Pesci rule the scenes. They finally did Niro and Pacino some justice after some horrible roles They've been in. Pretty much every single actor who played a gangster once was in this movie. He got Everyone! The actor who played Tony Soprano would have been in this had the guy not passed away. Guy in it was called fat tony, smoking a cigar.

Anyway it has great moments, great acting, and some good action in it that didn't feel over the top, but very realistic. I'd even watch it again. I'll give a 9/10
Thanks for this, I've yet to read a review with anything negative to say about it. Would you say this should be seen in the cinema, or would it be ok waiting for the Netflix release?

SteveJ

Scout
Three Kings (1999)

Yes, the movies have only just come to Wales.

Anyway...this was rather great.

8.5/10

AaronRedDevil

Thanks for this, I've yet to read a review with anything negative to say about it. Would you say this should be seen in the cinema, or would it be ok waiting for the Netflix release?
I think it's good either way. Glad I saw it in the cinema since it's a little but more immersive but waiting for netflix is fine, I was gonna do that myself

SteveJ

Scout
S.W.A.T. (2003)

Jesus Christ, this was a living cliché. I don't even have the will to write any more about it.

1/10

GBBQ

Parasite: a poor but inventive South Korean family insert themselves into the lives of a rich, gullible family. Sometimes hilarious, sometimes shocking and always unpredictable. Its hard to describe what is so good about it without giving anything away though. So just go see it. 9/10

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Hearts Beat Loud - Very nice little film about Nick Offerman connecting with his daughter through trying to form a band. Whilst it drags a bit in the middle, its light and fluffy enough to make it enjoyable and the music is nice and makes sense in the vein of Begin Again and Sing Street (though not as good as the later). Also, good to have Ron Swanson as the lead role, and the relationship with him and his daughter is well done.

McFarland USA - I properly love a Disney Sports film. I'd say they're a guilty pleasure, but there's nothing guilty about it. Couldn't give too much of a toss about historical accuracy or what not, just give me an uplifting story within the back drop of sport and I'm sold... and if that story can be about overcoming race barriers then even feckin' better. Whilst this is no Remember The Titans, and cross-country running is an inherently boring sport, it's still well done and Costner is strong lead.

Last edited:

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
Tokyo Story - second Ozu I’ve seen. Late Spring left me cold with its overwhelming banality. Tokyo Story hit me like a tonne of bricks, the difference maybe in the acknowledgment of parental failure as well as the selfishness of the younger generation, a bit more pointed.

Persona -
I feel like I need a cigarette after that.
It's probably Ozu's Magnum Opus's even though it feels kinda wrong to give that title to one of his non colour films. An Autumn Afternoon rivals it though.

RamblingRebel

Hitler dead!
Supports
Burnley
Cosmos (2019)

Low budget British film that tells the story of 3 nerdy scientists who go and spend the night in the forest to do some astronomy.

Acting is very hammy at times. Cinematography is technically good, but shiiiiit, it's kinda cheesy. It's actually a low budget film that has been well made from a technical point of view, it just the writing crammed in pretty much every Hollywood cliche. I think it was trying to be a serious film, but kinda came across as a bit Shaun Of The Dead in places.

Despite all that, I was hooked after the first 10 mins. I quite enjoyed it overall....but ffs there was no need for all the cheese. Would've been much better if they went the understated route.

6/10

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
Black Swan - I hadn't seen this until now because of the bad reviews it received at the time but I really enjoyed it.

I also realised that Natalie Portman is actually a great actress, probably the best role I've ever seen her in. There's also that lesbian scene with Mila Kunis.. oh boy. 7.5/10

Archie Leach

Gooner
Supports
Arsenal
Raging Bull - never does it for me. It's not that LaMotta is an asshole, it's that he's only an asshole. The film shines when Joey is the focus and the back half forgets him. The fight scenes are great though.

The Apartment - Wilder films are always so rewatchable. Has the shiny aesthetic of a big studio comedy but is dark as feck. Jack Lemmon perfomances are 20% more enjoyable if you picture him as Gil Gunderson.

The 400 Blows - the kid telling the story about how whenever he cried at home his dad played the violin to mock him is great stuff, very funny. Incredibly French: sleazy dad obsessed with tits, cold sarcastic mother, 10 year old who smokes and knows how to light a match on the bottom of his boot. Good stuff.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
LBJ - For some reason I thought it was going to be Bryan Cranston and not Woody Zombie-killer Harrelson. But I quite enjoyed it and Woody was pretty good even though the prosthetics made him look more like Nixon than LBJ. It was pretty lightweight though, only covering small portion of his career. The bloke who played JFK was good.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Bloodline
American Pie's Stiffler plays a stressed out guidance counsellor and new father who de-stresses my murdering abusive parents. Watched it to see how Stiffler does in a serious role and to be fair, he was decent. Shame that the film had nothing original going on and felt very pointless and the middle act, where he tortures and kills like 5 or 6 people gets very repetitive with unoriginal kills (slit the throat). You do however, get to see a baby come out of the poo-nanny 4/10

Archie Leach

Gooner
Supports
Arsenal
LBJ - For some reason I thought it was going to be Bryan Cranston and not Woody Zombie-killer Harrelson. But I quite enjoyed it and Woody was pretty good even though the prosthetics made him look more like Nixon than LBJ. It was pretty lightweight though, only covering small portion of his career. The bloke who played JFK was good.
There is a film with Cranston as LBJ (and Jumbo) that came out like a year before the Harrelson one. It’s very movie of the week.

SteveJ

Scout
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
War for the Planet of the Apes
Serpico
Training Day

Ace.

8/10

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Dolemite is my name is a lot of fun. A great ensemble with a very enjoyable Eddie Murphy performance at the heart of it. And although he captures little of the physical presence or gravitas of Rudy Ray Moore, it's an affectionate portrayal of this outsider indie guerilla filmmaking auteur, with bags of perseverance and not a little artistic vision. Justly receives the full Ed Wood treatment.

Enjoyed The King too. It's a not quite history, not quite shakespeare retelling of the rise of Henry V. It's slow, restrained, methodical (and a little bit boring). Michod paints 15th century Northern Europe in his harsh and bleak Aussie tones. All the combat feels fresh and imaginative, from schoolboys scrapping in armour, to the cold metronomic bombardment of a French castle seen from distance, to the final inglorious mud and blood bath at Agincourt. I may have backed the wrong horse in Kurzel.

Still, Netflix is the devil and will eventually kill cinema, numbing 'n dumbing us all down to stupified zombies, Netflix-and-chilling sped up junk content, like a fat American eating a Big Mac. But at the moment their grubby dosh is funding bits and pieces of worth, that no one else would back. So I guess we should try and enjoy it while it lasts.

AaronRedDevil

Le Mans '66 or Ford vs Ferrari

Damn good movie, ending kinda pissed me off a bit hah. Probably the best acting I've seen by Christian Bale. Lot of oscar talk for him but I still think Phoenix should have it in the bag. Great acting and kept me entertained the whole time.

9/10

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
As someone who has zero interest in cars/no idea of the context, Le Mans 66 was a solid movie. I don't know how, but a movie about a 24 hour race had me extremely invested. I constantly found myself wincing whenever anything remotely iffy happened to whichever car Bale's character was driving.

Bale great as ever - mind, I don't think that was 'the best acting I've seen' from him as above. Impressed with Bernthal's consistency, too. Haven't seen him look out of place alongside some big names in every flick I've seen him in. Happy he keeps grabbing roles at this point.

I don't think the film is innovative or bold in any way, but it is just solid film, in a genre that hasn't really had many (any?) hits at all.