Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

ChrisNelson

Worth seeing it on IMAX or nah?
If you mean Gran Turismo I bet it's brilliant with higher quality screens! It felt really immersive and actually nerve wracking at times so yes I would definitely recommend it in IMAX!

Probably not so important for The Equalizer although there are lots of good visual shots in the film.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Dungeons & Dragons: Honour Amongst Thieves
I sulked my way into this as it was the wife's turn to pick but in the end, had a lot of fun! I'm not really into fantasy adventure but this had enough funny moments that made me chuckle. The story was silly and things happen/don't happen because the plot requires it, which normally is irritating but there's enough comedy and likeable characters (especially Chris Pine, who is always excellent) to help you forgive the overall plot holes. Also, seeing an over-weight dragon had me cackling out loud 6/10

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
If you mean Gran Turismo I bet it's brilliant with higher quality screens! It felt really immersive and actually nerve wracking at times so yes I would definitely recommend it in IMAX!

Probably not so important for The Equalizer although there are lots of good visual shots in the film.
Meant Equalizer, but I am becoming intrigued by Gran Turismo by its ratings & reviews. No doubt that it would look bad ass on IMAX.

Getting my first car in five years later today & was planning on heading to the movies. These two might just be on the cards for today.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
About halfway through ‘The Covenant’ right now & am enjoying it for the most part.

The pisser is that there’s no subtitles for those actors speaking Dari. I’ve tried three different viewing platforms & it’s the same horseshit.

Did this happen to anyone else?

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Mario Bros Movie - A largely paint by numbers movie that relies on you being able to say aha I understand that reference. Continues the annoying trend of the female character being spunky and stronk at the start with the male character being dumb and bad but eventually those roles shift and the male character ends up saving the day anyway. Some irritating use of non-mario music that doesn't fit whatsoever. The colours really pop. Luigi is underutilised. The luma does a hilarious impression of Schopenhauerian angst.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem - I wasn't paying much attention but I had a hard time thinking I hadn't already seen this when it was called Spider-Man: Enter the Spiderverse.

Last edited:

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
It Lives Inside
An Indian-American teenager struggling with her cultural identity has a falling out with her former best friend and, in the process, unwittingly releases a demonic entity that grows stronger by feeding on her loneliness. I heard great things about this and was really excited to see it but wish I hadn't now. It was pure and utter garbage. Take away the Indian actors and this is a generic, by-the-numbers horror with zero scares, heavy handed messages and a theme that is barely explored beyond surface level. I really wanted to like this but I just didn't beyond one good scene 2/10

Gavinb33

Edge of tomorrow 8 or 9 out of 10, a classic Sci fi flick, great leads and supporting characters, a good story line that really holds up and the repetition of learn a bit more die come back get a bit further and so on is compelling like groundhog day with alies, also Emily Blunt :drool:

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Wolf Children
After her werewolf husband dies, a mother with two werewolf children struggles to raise them hidden. Beautifully animated and touching overall message but way too slow and no real overarching narrative, so it's more of a "slice of life" type movie, which I'm not generally a fan of 4/10

Old Ma Crow

The Meg 2

Utter shite with so many scenes stolen from the Jaws series not even Jason Statham could improve it.

2/10

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Edge of tomorrow 8 or 9 out of 10, a classic Sci fi flick, great leads and supporting characters, a good story line that really holds up and the repetition of learn a bit more die come back get a bit further and so on is compelling like groundhog day with alies, also Emily Blunt :drool:
She is a stunner in that flick. The yoga pose she was in when Cruise & her first meet is tattooed onto my brain.

Gavinb33

Troll - 7 out of 10, Norwegian monster flick, subtitled movie, very good leads, really get a feel for how beautiful Norway is as country with some great cinematography, really liked the incorporation of fairy tales and folklore into the main story

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Troll - 7 out of 10, Norwegian monster flick, subtitled movie, very good leads, really get a feel for how beautiful Norway is as country with some great cinematography, really liked the incorporation of fairy tales and folklore into the main story
This is a fantastic film. I love found footage and usually they are absolute tripe but it's worth going through them to find gems such as this.

AaronRedDevil

Sound of Freedom

Feck that was a tough watch. First time I've ever sat in the cinema finding it hard to even eat with all that shite happening to the children. It was making me depressed just watching it. All in all it was a great movie and exposed what it's really like on that side. It was gut wrenching seeing how easy it all happens. Those Real footages at the start, shocked me seeing how easy it all goes away. It's insane.

9/10

Last edited:

Wing Attack Plan R

Edge Of Tomorrow is 10 out of 10, buddy. The only thing they could have done to improve that film was somehow find a way to get Emily Blunt into some lingerie, which admittedly would not have really helped the plot.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Sound of Freedom

Feck that was a tough watch. First time I've ever sat in the cinema finding it hard to even eat with all that shite happening to the children. It was making me depressed just watching it. All in all it was a great movie and exposed what it's really like on that side. It was gut wrenching seeing how easy it all happens. Those Real footages at the start, shocked me seeing how easy it all goes away. It's insane.

9/10
It was still plausible even with the substantial amount of creative liberty taken?

Wing Attack Plan R

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
It's propagandistic Qanon sensationalism. Real organizations working to stop child trafficking have said the guy who is played by Caviziel is a glory hound who does more harm than good, and is a pretty dodgy character.

https://www.thenation.com/article/culture/sound-of-freedom-movie/
Yeah, I've seen the reports that, while the movie isn't out & out Q babble, it certainly is Q adjacent.

I posed the same question to a couple of colleagues who were gushing over the movie, but they really didn't care if the movie was more jingoistic than factually correct & had no idea about one of the producer's legal woes.

Wing Attack Plan R

Yeah, I've seen the reports that, while the movie isn't out & out Q babble, it certainly is Q adjacent.

I posed the same question to a couple of colleagues who were gushing over the movie, but they really didn't care if the movie was more jingoistic than factually correct & had no idea about one of the producer's legal woes.
My ex-gf works for an organization called RAINN (https://www.rainn.org) which does a lot to protect women and children from rape, assault, incest, and trafficking. They have been doing the hard work for years, but Sound Of Freedom presents it as some kind of action adventure. If people really cared about stopping child trafficking, there are plenty of things that could be done in Congress, but the Republicans have no interest in these policies. They are the same shameless worms who think it's acceptable to separate children from their parents at the border. Even though that particular policy was ended, something like 1,000 kids have not been reunited with their parents because the Trump people willfully made the paperwork shoddy, or lost it out right. It's cognitive dissonance at its finest.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Barbie Seemed to have good intentions and there were a few funny bits but the execution of the "message" was utterly muddled and the last third woefully confused. And did the final scene really suggest a woman's purpose was to have kids? Or something? It felt like the last 3rd was written by a committee of studio and Matel executives and marketing bros. A shame as it could have been great. 4/10

Last edited:

Sylar

It Lives Inside
An Indian-American teenager struggling with her cultural identity has a falling out with her former best friend and, in the process, unwittingly releases a demonic entity that grows stronger by feeding on her loneliness. I heard great things about this and was really excited to see it but wish I hadn't now. It was pure and utter garbage. Take away the Indian actors and this is a generic, by-the-numbers horror with zero scares, heavy handed messages and a theme that is barely explored beyond surface level. I really wanted to like this but I just didn't beyond one good scene 2/10
Ah man, saw the trailer and it looked interesting. Shame
Cobweb
A boy hears things in his wall and starts to believe their is something dangerous behind there. Was really excited for this and the first two thirds were pretty good. The final act completely shits the bed though. The acting and atmosphere were great but the narrative was flakey and waaaay too many inconsistencies that bog the whole film down. Think this was a case of a good director getting the most out of a poor script 6/10
Agree with this. The first 2/3 are really fun to watch and done really well. The ending was meh and it made me feel,oh thats it?

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
The Flash
Awful. Bad CGI, too long, boring action scenes, pointless characters, plot holes and everything in between. I did enjoy seeing Michael Keaton back and did laugh at a couple of scenes but overall, it was a pointless and bloated film. I was gonna give this a 4/10 but thanks to:

Nic Cage

I am forced to give this a 6/10

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Sonic the Hedgehog: The Movie Pt. 2 - Probably the best out of all the shit movies I've stuck on my firestick this week trying not to melt whilst half-heartedly doing e-learning for our new CMS. The reason is because it doesn't take itself too seriously and plays up its self-awareness - maybe too much at times - that it's simply a movie based on a popular videogame IP with no story to begin with. Mario Bros: Movie sequel take note. The parts with the wedding went on a bit too long though.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Going on one of my much less frequent than before covid business trips. When I usually download a bunch of movies to watch on my iPad. Usually catch up on whatever I missed in the cinema but can’t think of any movie I want to watch. Have there been any good films released this year? Oppenheimer and Barbie don’t count. Am refusing to watch both of those as a protest.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Pengabdi Setan (Satan's Slaves) 2: Communion
The family from the first film try to rebuild their lives in a run down apartment but are soon haunted by Satan's **** once more. I quite enjoyed the first one of these and felt that the missing ingredient were the jump scares, which were always a let down after a great build up of tension. On this one, the scares worked much better and I really enjoyed the story and characters, it really was a fun horror movie with old school practical effects and I had a great time. Kind of loses its way a little towards the end but the ending redeems it. Would recommend if you have seen the first 7.5/10

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Going on one of my much less frequent than before covid business trips. When I usually download a bunch of movies to watch on my iPad. Usually catch up on whatever I missed in the cinema but can’t think of any movie I want to watch. Have there been any good films released this year? Oppenheimer and Barbie don’t count. Am refusing to watch both of those as a protest.
Asteroid City.
I know I watched this, but barely remember it, think it was a ok/cute movie.
If you haven't seen Prey (a Predator remake) from last year, would highly recommend.
Also oppenheimer was great but please don't see it on an ipad. Also, either it needs subtitles or i'm going deaf.

Last edited:

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Thought this was a decent list:
https://www.menshealth.com/entertainment/g42398628/best-movies-2023/

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Not sure if this is common knowledge, but there is directors commentary for every big John Carpenter movie on youtube! Easy to search for too...

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Asteroid City.
I know I watched this, but barely remember it, think it was a ok/cute movie.
If you haven't seen Prey (a Predator remake) from last year, would highly recommend.
Also oppenheimer was great but please don't see it on an ipad. Also, either it needs subtitles or i'm going deaf.
Ta. I can actually remember reading the Judy Blume novel, a very long time ago. Will check that out.

I thought Prey was great. Not a lot too it but very well done.

And yeah, Oppenheimer on an IPad would be a sin.

Wing Attack Plan R

Barbie Seemed to have good intentions and there were a few funny bits but the execution of the "message" was utterly muddled and the last third woefully confused. And did the final scene really suggest a woman's purpose was to have kids? Or something? It felt like the last 3rd was written by a committee of studio and Matel executives and marketing bros. A shame as it could have been great. 4/10
Almost a certainty that the ending was a reshoot. And what I got out of it was, Barbie was going to get a license to thrill with her vagina. She was going in to see a gynecologist, not a pediatrician. I completely agree with what you said about the last 3rd. The movie fell apart at that point and went from an alternate universe comedy to a shoddy parody. feck Will Farrell!