Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Spoony

The People's President
mehro said:
:lol:

Its been 6 months since I saw that movie. Ask Hectic to get it for you.

I randomly caught the trailer of that movie on some DVD and decided to rent it but it hadn't released on DVD then. Saw it last summer and was impressed. Good acting from everyone but the dialogue is the best part. Real catchy stuff that you'll want to remember so you can use it in the future. Also, the plot's pretty neat and moves real fast. Murder mystery with some drug selling thrown in.

I watch an hour of the Illusionist, last night. The night before I watched three quarters of Blood Diamond. Frankly, it just seemed a bit run of the mill. And I really can't be arsed to go back and finish it off.

mehro

Ass face
I finally have some time this weekend so I'll get to watch Amdeus. It's been lying with me for 3 weeks now. I'll also be watching Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit.

Spoony

The People's President
High Fidelity is a good film. I've got that somewhere in my collection. Also, I watched Rocky 6 the other day. Good film, if a bit over sentimental. That said, it went downhill once he started training for the fight. Got far too silly for me.

mehro

Ass face
Now i remember. I love High Fidelity for the music. It has an absolutely amazing soundtrack and all that music talk between those three is awesome. I plan to have my own record collection like John Cusack did in that movie.

Kevrockcity

it's the filmic equivalent of bedlam asylum, where people would pay money to poke the lunatics with sticks. it's a crass, unfunny geek show giving wedgies to the freaks it superficially claims to empower.

i hate napoleon dynamite.

mehro

Ass face
I find it hard to imagine how anyone could sit through that movie. But then I feel the same way about a lot of movies that have come out recently, like the Saw series, Hostel, basically just about all the new so called horror flicks and the stupid teenage comedy crap that just keeps getting worse with every movie.

Spoony

The People's President
mehro said:
I find it hard to imagine how anyone could sit through that movie. But then I feel the same way about a lot of movies that have come out recently, like the Saw series, Hostel, basically just about all the new so called horror flicks and the stupid teenage comedy crap that just keeps getting worse with every movie.

They were awful.

Kevrockcity

Spoony the legend said:
But the dance was top!!
in a way, it reminds me of little miss sunshine, which is also a geek show that tries (unsuccessfully) to redeem itself with a dance sequence (really the only inspired part of lms).

i feel a long-winded and pretentious review coming on...

Spoony

The People's President
Kevrockcity said:
in a way, it reminds me of little miss sunshine, which is also a geek show that tries (unsuccessfully) to redeem itself with a dance sequence (really the only inspired part of lms).

i feel a long-winded and pretentious review coming on...

Which is why I asked, if you liked Napoleon Dynamite. Had the same structure as Little Miss Sunshine.

Kevrockcity

so you liked little miss sunshine AND napoleon dynamite?

it's like someone just knocked the wind out of me...

Spoony

The People's President
I didn't mind ND. I wouldn't say I loved it or anything. Same goes for LMS. I enjoyed it, but I wouldn't watch it again.

Spoony

The People's President
Seconds? no, I haven;t seen it. Is that a recommendation then? Any others in that genre, that I should look out for?

Kevrockcity

go out and rent seconds. afterwards, you can mail me a thank you card for having improved your life immeasurably.

Kevrockcity

don't look now is overrated crap. people like to talk about how hot the sex scene is. it's really not.

nicolas roeg = bad director

julie christie = bag of antlers

here's some thoughts on roeg:

http://www.pretentiousmusings.com/bad_timing.html

as far as pure thrillers go, i recently saw the audrey hepburn film "wait until dark." it's based on a fairly well-known play. extremely well-written; it's not gory or anything anything like that, but very suspenseful.

seconds is a masterpiece, though. shocking so many people have never heard of it.

Kevrockcity

Spoony the legend said:
Cheers Kev. Anything else? not just psychological thrillers, but horrors, full stop??
the haneke film "funny games" is great. it's austrian, i think - director is currently remaking it with naomi watts (he also did cache, which got some notice a couple of years ago). there's this kind of audience antipathy throughout his work that's quite unnerving - it finds a unique expression in funny games.

Adebesi

Spammy said:
Ichi the Killer is sick, but not nearly as sick as Gozu or Visitor Q. Visitor Q is as fecked up as it gets really and Gozu will make you think you've taken acid.
Just wanted to get back to you to let you know I took you at your word and bought these two films. Watched Gozu last night, will watch Visitor Q in the next few days.

I enjoyed it, if that's the word you would use. For me it was like an Asian League Of Gentleman. Nagoya is the new Royston Vasey. Youre right though, sick, in a different way to Ichi though. The torture, sexual sado-masochism and rape scenes in Ichi were sick in a more violent way. Gozu was more surreal and funnier. Had to laugh in the last scene with the rebirth when he slides across the floor.

I would love to invite Miike Takashi and David Lynch over to dinner together. How the feck would that dinner-conversation go?

Anyway, cheers for the tips, well worth a watch I thought.

Mihajlovic

Its Baltic!
Spoony the legend said:
No.

Downloaded it. The quality is decent.
Is it worth waiting and watching on big screen or just good enough for a quick download?

Spoony

The People's President
er. . . well, I'd download it if I were you. I've only seen an hour of it, mind. It was a decent watch, but nothing special. Like I said, though, I've only seen an hour of it and will probably watch the rest of it tonight.

Mihajlovic

Its Baltic!
Spoony the legend said:
er. . . well, I'd download it if I were you. I've only seen an hour of it, mind. It was a decent watch, but nothing special. Like I said, though, I've only seen an hour of it and will probably watch the rest of it tonight.
Yea thats allright then.Im just asking cause I like to watch movies with crazy special effects or beautiful landscapes at the cinema.Just watched "Open Range" on dvd, glad I saw it in the cinema before, it`s a whole different atmosphere.That was a brilliant movie btw.