Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
A Quiet Place

What could have probably been a good movie, let down by ridiculous plot. The direction, screenplay and lead actors carry the movie, but in the end there's only so much they can make up for. Premise for the movie was good, but it falls flat with blindingly obvious errors in script made worse by bad CGI.

Blunt and Krasinsky (both as director and actor) carry the movie. Everything else fails.

5/10

Spoony

The People's President
A Quiet Place

What could have probably been a good movie, let down by ridiculous plot. The direction, screenplay and lead actors carry the movie, but in the end there's only so much they can make up for. Premise for the movie was good, but it falls flat with blindingly obvious errors in script made worse by bad CGI.

Blunt and Krasinsky (both as director and actor) carry the movie. Everything else fails.

5/10
It was a metaphor for parenthood. I loved it.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
I haven't seen A Quiet Place but Krasinski just seems way too clean-cut and wholesome to ever conceive a potent cinematic work, especially a horror film, that's my two cents.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Same.

Also don’t think Blunt and Krasinski carried it. The kids were great too. Especially the deaf girl.

On a side note, I heard a great detail about the opening scene I hadn’t noticed when I watched it. When the camera pans through the supermarket you can see that all of the food aisles have been completely ransacked. Apart from one, small section. Which is full of packets of crisps!

Archie Leach

Gooner
Supports
Arsenal
A Quiet Place is a great concept and is competently made but could've been something terrific in a more interesting directors hands. Blunt and Krasinski were idiot parents in it though.

You Were Never Really Here - Hollowly undercooked and jarring. Tried to evoke the likes of Taxi Driver, Night Moves and Point Blank but mostly ended up being a slightly art-house Liam Neeson/Nicolas Cage flick. Ramsay needs to stop poking her finger in the American psyche and start making films across the pond again.
Point Blank is an arthouse Liam Neeson film and it's terrific. Like Antonioni's Taken.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports

Will Absolute

Point Blank is an arthouse Liam Neeson film and it's terrific. Like Antonioni's Taken.
I think, when the movie was made, sex and the sixties had called the old cinematic verities into question. Studios had lost confidence that their finger was still on the pulse on the new movie audience; arthouse was exploiting that uncertainty to bleed over into commercial cinema (ever seen Vanishing Point?). Thankfully Jaws, Close Encounters, Star Wars, Superman, Rocky etc soon put a stop to that; studios discovered that the new audience was very much like the old.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Is this Jack Ryan character clean-cut?
At least in books he is. A injured ex-marine who is currently a University teacher. Tends to get into some action, but not really a rugged action hero material.

The TV looks to be a derivative of the book where he is a CIA analyst. So not really sure how the character will develop.

As in, how not to be?

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Sherlock Gnomes

Took my niece to this yesterday. Obviously I couldn't concentrate on it the whole way through, but she was hooked from start to finish. All-star voice cast and just about enough adult(ish) humour to pass an hour and a half with the kids. 5/10

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
I think, when the movie was made, sex and the sixties had called the old cinematic verities into question. Studios had lost confidence that their finger was still on the pulse on the new movie audience; arthouse was exploiting that uncertainty to bleed over into commercial cinema (ever seen Vanishing Point?). Thankfully Jaws, Close Encounters, Star Wars, Superman, Rocky etc soon put a stop to that; studios discovered that the new audience was very much like the old.
"Thankfully"? The New Hollywood was the last great American film movement and has yet to be eclipsed.

Will Absolute

"Thankfully"? The New Hollywood was the last great American film movement and has yet to be eclipsed.
'Thankfully' from the standpoint of the average moviegoer who was bored to tears by the New Hollywood. Condescending efforts by intellectuals to 'improve' the taste of the man in the street have always been doomed to failure. Sadly the average Joe is not eager to be told what to say, feel, think or even what movies to enjoy by those who consider themselves well fitted for the task.

The present proliferation of content allows a more sensible resolution. Everyone can choose a meal from the great cinematic smorgasbord, whether caviar or popcorn, which best suits their own taste.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Upgrade

Just walked out of this one. Loved it. Best described as a cross between Ex Machina and Hardcore Henry. It’s pretty low budget and has some quirks, but it was thoroughly enjoyable. Then again I’m a total sci-fi fanatic. Logan Marshall-Green is very good as the protagonist. It’s kind of predictable, but only up to a point. The action was top notch, with some proper shock moments.

8/10

Deadpool 2

Thoroughly enjoyable movie. I loved the first one and Reynolds absolutely nails it again. Plenty of genuinely laugh out loud moments. The superhero genre is so much more entertaining in R rated format. The action is good too. And the general cast excellent.

8.5/10

Solo: A Star Wars Story

Supremely forgettable. Just feels like a hodgepodge of scenes. Don’t get a Han Solo vibe at all from the lead. Even Glover was a let down. Emilia Clarke’s character made almost no sense at all. Nothing really connects to anything. And there’s lots of appalling fan service with a solo naming sequence, the kessel run, and Darth Maul cameo. Just a mess.

5/10

Last edited:

Archie Leach

Gooner
Supports
Arsenal
'Thankfully' from the standpoint of the average moviegoer who was bored to tears by the New Hollywood. Condescending efforts by intellectuals to 'improve' the taste of the man in the street have always been doomed to failure. Sadly the average Joe is not eager to be told what to say, feel, think or even what movies to enjoy by those who consider themselves well fitted for the task.

The present proliferation of content allows a more sensible resolution. Everyone can choose a meal from the great cinematic smorgasbord, whether caviar or popcorn, which best suits their own taste.
I agree with some of what you say but you make it hard, Will.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
The studios took full advantage of the shifting populist tides and has lowered the risk taking and infantilized the audience ever since and presumably until the death of cinema.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Finally got round to watching Annihilation. I think it’s excellent. Definitely the best Netflix exclusive movie I’ve watched. By a margin. Way less weird than I expected. Just a really tense and well made sci fi horror, which looks (and sounds) fantastic. Real shame it didn’t make it to cinemas. Deserves to be watched on the big screen.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Finally got round to watching Annihilation. I think it’s excellent. Definitely the best Netflix exclusive movie I’ve watched. By a margin. Way less weird than I expected. Just a really tense and well made sci fi horror, which looks (and sounds) fantastic. Real shame it didn’t make it to cinemas. Deserves to be watched on the big screen.
What? I was bored to death by that movie.

Andy_Cole

Not seen this one but Beasts of no Nation is fantastic (Netflix Exclusive) probably go as far as it should have won the best film Oscar (or at least been nominated!).

Stringer

I enjoyed Annihilation but was still left a bit disappointed based on how much I liked the book and the director’s previous film. Most of the changes he made from the source material were inferior IMO.

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
It was awesome. I saw it in the cinema over here.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Solaris (2002)
Boring, unfortunately.
3/10

Apocalypse Now (1979)
Damning.
7/10

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Anyone know some good movies based on deep south racism? I've watched A Time To Kill, Rosewood and Mississipi Burning so far from what I remember.

hungrywing

Anyone know some good movies based on deep south racism? I've watched A Time To Kill, Rosewood and Mississipi Burning so far from what I remember.
Just the Civil Rights era?

...As in, how not to be?
As in 'this is how harrowing it can be to be a parent'. The Exorcist did it, too. Except with 'single mother raising a daughter in a world of men'

He's the devil spawn of Spielberg and Lucas.
Irony being he isn't fit to tie their shoelaces.

Also a glaring example of nepotism.

Last edited:

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
Irony being he isn't fit to tie their shoelaces.

Also a glaring example of nepotism.
I think of him more as a businessman than a filmmaker really, an empty suit. At least Lucas and Spielberg started out as hardcore cinephiles (well, maybe only Lucas perhaps), Abrams was born into movie producing.