g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Gaming The RedCafe NBA Simulation 11/12 | Season Preview Part 1 | Can anyone challenge altodevil and the Lakers? | Still open to sign-ups

01/02 Playoff Bracket and Conference Standings

nimic

something nice
Scout
01/02 Playoff Bracket and Conference Standings

The regular season is over! I'll give you the standings and the playoff bracket, but let's first take a look at the league leaders for regular season stats.

And here are the regular season standings, compared to the pre-season predictions.

East:

@BenitoSTARR is in, as expected, though his Knicks actually underperformed their predicted performance this season. @reelworld is in too, as is @oneniltothearsenal. Not completely surprising, but given how things have been going the last few years I'm still mildly shocked you actually made it.

@V.O. was only a few games from making it, with @Skizzo and @Dan a bit behind that. @Samid was... not close. Nobody expected their three teams to make it, though.

West:

Quite a lot from the West this time! @hobbers has indeed managed to drag his team to the playoffs this time, as did @altodevil. The Supersonics made it, but @weetee, @Solius and @The Cat will still have to play without their best player, who will remain out for the full playoffs. @sebsheep's Portland are our first upset, ending as one of the four teams with a 42-40 record.

@Salt Bailly and @Dr. Dwayne didn't make it, but their 41-41 record could have made them a 6-seed if they had played in the East. What a system! @Stobzilla and the Grizzlies bring up the rear, and though they weren't expected to make it, nor were they expected to be that spectacularly bad. Let's hope they make up for it in the draft.

Playoff bracket:

A couple of Cafite v Cafite match-ups right away! I'll think about how to do this. Have to create some tension, after all.

@nimic any chance of a playoff update today?
Yes

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Out in the first round then. fecking super teams man.

altodevil

Too bad PER is a useless advanced stat. Need some vorp and dws to show my class.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
I couldn't have been too far off Top 10 in assist, Pair that with a 2 d place in boards to a athletic freak I can be somewhat happy. I will take this steady growth,.hopefully I can get a big points jump soon.

nimic

something nice
Scout
I couldn't have been too far off Top 10 in assist, Pair that with a 2 d place in boards to a athletic freak I can be somewhat happy. I will take this steady growth,.hopefully I can get a big points jump soon.
You're also 2nd in fouls at 4 per game, right behind BenitoSTARR at 4.1.

01/02 Playoffs Round 1

nimic

something nice
Scout
01/02 Playoffs Round 1 (best of 5)

Let's do this spoiler-style, since there's so many of you in it. I'll do game by game, but not the individual games (that would be a stupid amount of work), just the whole set. Again, let me know if it's an unnecessary amount of spoilers.

First, a reminder of the bracket.

Game 1

No surprises so far - despite @altodevil complaining about being up against a super team. Have some faith, alto!

Game 2

@sebsheep's Portland have taken a game against Minnesota, now that is a surprise! The other games are all 2-0, and it's worth remembering that this is a best of 5, so Miami with @oneniltothearsenal and Seattle with @The Cat, @weetee and @Solius could all see their playoff run end next game. @BenitoSTARR has seen his New York Knicks take a comfortable 2-0 lead, and now only need one win to advance. Surely no problem?

Game 3

And there it is! Solius, The Cat and weetee, our reigning NBA Champions, have been eliminated by altodevil and the Sacramento Kings. They were favoured, but given there were only three games between them in the regular season, nobody expected this to be a sweep one way or the other. We've also lost oneniltothearsenal, though an 8-seed simply isn't going to beat the 1-seed. At least now he's got some playoff experience to build on. sebsheep and Portland are one game away from elimination. @hobbers has led his San Antonio Spurs to a comfortable 3-0 sweep over Utah, while BenitoSTARR's Knicks dropped a game against Washington.

Game 4

As expected, sebsheep is out. Taking one game was probably more than expected for the 8-seed, though it has to be said that the Western Conference has been surprisingly close between the top 8. In the East, it's squeeky bum time for BenitoSTARR, as his side drop another game to find themselves 2-2. Winner takes all now.

Game 5 & Conference Semi brackets

New York made it more interesting than it needed to be, but BenitoSTARR is through to the Conference Semis. There he'll face the 2-seed Chicago. From the West we have altodevil's Sacramento advancing to meet the 1-seed Minnesota. That's not going to be easy. Also advancing are hobbers and the Spurs, who will face Houston.

altodevil

Stars aligning for hobbers the lucky bugger

nimic

something nice
Scout
01/02 Conference Semis

Bracket:

Game 1

Game 2

Game 3

@altodevil and Sacramento are in danger of being swept by Minnesota here. @hobbers is 2-1 down, while @BenitoSTARR is 2-1 up.

Game 4

Sacramento get a game! Is this the point where altodevil turns it around for his team? hobbers could also use some of that, since he's now down 1-3. BenitoSTARR leads 3-1.

Game 5

altodevil and Shaq couldn't quite swing it, and they're out. Still, after not making the playoffs for so long, getting to the Conference Semi isn't too bad at all. hobber is also fighting, while BenitoSTARR's New York dropped another game against Chicago.

Game 6

3-3 for the Spurs and the Rockets now, it's all down to the final match for hobbers. BenitoSTARR is through against the 2-seed, though they had the exact same record. He will face the winner of Charlotte and Detroit in the Conference Final.

Game 7

hobbers did it, he beat Houston and he's now about to face the alto-slayers Minnesota. We've got 1-seed versus 3-seed in the East too, as BenitoSTARR's New York will play Charlotte for the spot in the final.

altodevil

Ah feck sake. Brutal draw despite the same regular season record as the spurs.

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
It’s a pity @BenitoSTARR ’s ring is so small, nobody actually can see it.

edit: oversaw samid and V.O. being tiny enough to witness Benito‘s greatness

01/02 NBA Finals

nimic

something nice
Scout
01/02 Playoff Conference Finals and NBA Finals

I forgot to mention to the Seattle boys that they got even more unlucky than it seems. @weetee came into the playoffs on an injury, and played through it, while @The Cat got injured during first game and couldn't play any more. This led to @Solius having to take 26 shots every game. Better luck next time!

Playoffs so far:

@hobbers and @BenitoSTARR are the Cafites still involved at this point. We might have a Cafite v Cafite final, but it requires two upsets. Both of our players' teams have a 5 worse regular season record than their opponents.

Conference Finals

Bad start for both!

0-2, this is looking very bad.

hobbers is up against it now, while BenitoSTARR has given himself a chance.

And that's the end of hobbers! It's the first time he's made it out of the First Round, so losing to the 1-seed in the Conference Finals is no mean feat, all things considered. In the East, the Knicks have evened up the score.

BenitoSTARR and New York have turned 0-2 into 3-2, can they go all the way?

They can! They will play Minnesota in the NBA Final, which is who BenitoSTARR had to beat to win his first (and so far only) ring, two seasons ago. Will history repeat?

NBA Final

Good start.

Great start!

Minnesota is not done yet.

Or are they?

No, they aren't.

They are! BenitoSTARR has helped (led?) the New York Knicks to their second championship in three years, and his second total. He couldn't win the 3-Point Contest this year, but he won the bigger prize. Congratulations. May we see as many (or more!) Cafites in the playoffs next year, and make it even more interesting.

Playoff stats points/rebounds/assists
Averages:

Best game:
  • sebsheep: 14.3 GameScore, 20/6/1 (+0 turnovers)
  • BenitoSTARR: 35.7 GmSc, 32/2/12 (+6 blocks and 0 turnovers)
  • Solius: 15.3 GmSc, 26/6/6
  • weetee: 12 GmSc, 8/0/8 (+5 steals)
  • The Cat: 2.2 GmSc, 4/2/2 (and somehow a team-high +4 +/-)
  • altodevil: 26.7 GmSc, 8/17/1 (+5 steals and 15 :eek: blocks)
  • hobbers: 45.3 GmSc, 44/12/11 (+4 steals)
  • oneniltothearsenal: 22.3 GmSc, 21/12/5 (+3 blocks)
  • reelworld: 7.9 GmSc, 4/0/8 (+0 turnovers)

altodevil

Yeah it's time to knock Benito off his perch

nimic

something nice
Scout
I haven't simmed ahead accidentally this time, but I think I'll do the player stat review like I did last time anyway. More stats, less work for me. The only downside is that it's a massive screenshot, but turn your phone sideways and zoom in, damn it.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Very bad news for @Samid. Turns out his very, very bad Orlando Magic traded away their 2002 pick (i.e. this draft) in 1999 for a guy who retired the same year and a guy who was the 28th pick the year before, and is now so bad he's unplayable. You could have used a high draft pick, but alas.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Draft Lottery update (as far your clubs go)

@Stobzilla's Memphis Grizzlies get the 1st pick
@Dan and (if he signs a new contract) @Skizzo's Philadelphia 76ers get the 5th and 8th picks.
@V.O.'s Cleveland Cavaliers get the 10th pick
@Dr. Dwayne and @Salt Bailly's Denver Nuggets get the 12th pick

Edit: Just to add, here are some of the players that will feature in the draft, in no particular order: P-Nut (obviously!), Yao Ming, Amar'e Stoudemire, Mike Dunleavy, Dajaun Wagner, Nene, Caron Butler. I know who some of those people are, but in my defence all I knew about basketball in 2002 was based on NBA Live 2001 and NBA Jam (which was a bit outdated at the time).

Last edited: