Gaming The RedCafe NBA Simulation 11/12 | Season Preview - West & East | Can anyone challenge altodevil and the Lakers? | Still open to sign-ups

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Very bad news for @Samid. Turns out his very, very bad Orlando Magic traded away their 2002 pick (i.e. this draft) in 1999 for a guy who retired the same year and a guy who was the 28th pick the year before, and is now so bad he's unplayable. You could have used a high draft pick, but alas.
:lol:

Nice to see the Glazers expanding their portfolio of Florida sports teams.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
I need a decent guard or off the Heat! I should have just picked winning motivation and not fame first

01/02 End of Season Review + Draft & Free Agency

nimic

something nice
Scout
01/02 End of Season Review + Draft & Free Agency

Awards:

We have our first Cafite MVP! All it took was a truly unprecedented overall rating for @hobbers. He's joined on the 1st All-League Team by newly crowned NBA Champion @BenitoSTARR. @altodevil and @V.O. follow on the 2nd Team, and @Solius makes the 3rd Team. We also have the same old All-Defensive 1st Team Cafites, with hobbers, altodevil and @oneniltothearsenal. @Salt Bailly makes the 3rd Team, which is his first appearance in the post-season awards since appearing in the All-Rookie Team in his rookie season in 1996. Oh, and also altodevil made Defensive Player of the Year again, if it's necessary to point that out.

Season stats (regular + playoffs)
@Dan @Dr. Dwayne @Samid @Skizzo @Stobzilla @reelworld @sebsheep @weetee @The Cat

2002 NBA Draft

We've only got one Cafite in the draft this year (one more than last time, to be fair), so let's just get on with it!

@P-Nut has been taken as the 1st pick by @Stobzilla's Memphis Grizzlies! They're both Shooting Guards, but I'm sure they'll find a way to make it work.

Top 10 (overall rating)

1. P-Nut to Memphis Grizzlies (55)
  2. Dajaun Wagner to Minnesota Timberwolves (48)
  3. Caron Butler to Phoenix Suns (61)
  4. Amar'e Stoudemire to Indiana Pacers (55)
  5. Yao Ming to Philadelphia 76ers (59)
  6. Nene to Los Angeles Lakers (57)
  7. Jay Williams to Dallas Mavericks (54)
  8. Nikoloz Tskitishvili to Philadelphia 76ers (48)
  9. Drew Gooden to Milwaukee Bucks (54)
  10. Carlos Boozer to Cleveland Cavaliers (54)
Next year's draft has LeBron James, Carmelo Anthony, Chris Bosh, Dwyane Wade and more, so there's something to consider if you find yourself very unhappy about your team when the pre-season update comes.

Free Agency

Skizzo
has signed with the Cleveland Cavaliers worth $9.19M/year through 2007. V.O. has a friend again.
BenitoSTARR has signed a new contract with the New York Knicks for $11.16M/year through 2007.
Samid has joined the Houston Rockets for $4.75M/year through 2005. That makes his third team so far.

I'll keep you up-to-date on any trades. The following players have one year left on their contracts: Dan, Salt Bailly, oneniltothearsenal & reelworld.

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
Jeez. My build sucks and I have no idea why they pay me that much. Must be highly marketable.

02/03 Season Preview

nimic

something nice
Scout
02/03 Season Preview

Pre-season Power Rankings

@V.O. and @Skizzo - Cleveland Cavaliers (36-46)

I don't know it is with Cleveland that Cafites find so alluring. I can only assume it's a beautiful, vibrant city. In any case, Skizzo found his way there during the off-season, to join V.O. V.O. has had several very good individual seasons, but he's still to test himself in the playoffs. Both Skizzo and V.O. improved over the summer, so they just might make it to the playoffs this season. They are predicted to finish 5th in the East.

@Dr. Dwayne and @Salt Bailly - Denver Nuggets (41-41)

Denver were extremely mid last season, and Salt Bailly and Dr. Dwayne seem to have taken that personally. Both seem to have used that as motivation to improve significantly since last season. They both have the highest overall rating they've had so far. Can they do something with it? They are tipped to finish 5th in a very strong West.

@Samid - Houston Rockets (42-40, Conference Semis)

It's our very own journeyman, in his third team at the age of 21. He's starting to look indistinguishable from the unplayable lad at the Lakers who... well, didn't play. He took a massive leap over the off-season. His team doesn't look to bad, though it's got some glaring weaknesses. The pundits have Samid and Houston finishing 11th in the West.

@Stobzilla & @P-Nut - Memphis Grizzlies (22-60)

Memphis seems to be a team all about round numbers, judging by their starting 5. The starting 5 isn't half bad, actually. The issue is that the rest of the team isn't much to write home about. Stobzilla saw some slight stat decreases over the summer, but they are more than matched by increases in his rookie friend, P-Nut. Even so, the Power Rankings have them 9th in the West.

@oneniltothearsenal - Miami Heat (39-43, 1st Round)

oneniltothearsenal finally saw the playoffs again last year, after no sign of them since 1997. He'd always been close, though. This season might be no different, judging by the 6th place they have in the Power Rankings. oneniltothearsenal himself is going to do everything he can do get to the playoffs again, and he took another step forward in his development since last season.

nimic

something nice
Scout
02/03 Season Preview cont.

@BenitoSTARR - New York Knicks (53-29, NBA Champions)

Incremental improvement seems to be BenitoSTARR's thing. The rest of the team was a little bit up, a little bit down, but if Benito finds his form he can at least dream of becoming a three-time NBA Champion. The Knicks are tripped to finish 2nd in the East, behind a greatly improved Chicago Bulls.

@Dan - Philadelphia 76ers (34-48)

Dan is quietly becoming quite a good player. The 76ers have a very solid team, with no clear weak-spots. The issue is that the league improved in general this year, so being solid might not be good enough. They are tipped to finish 7th in the East, which would take Dan back to the playoffs for the first time since 1998.

@sebsheep - Portland Trailblazers (42-40, 1st Round)

sebsheep has seemed surprised to find himself in the playoffs the last couple of seasons, and if he's not careful he just might find himself there again this season. He took a decent leap in improvement, as did many of his teammates in Portland. They are predicted to to finish 4th in a very strong Western Conference.

@hobbers - San Antonio Spurs (49-33, Conference Finals)

We all know it couldn't last forever, so it's no surprise that hobbers found himself declining back to more normal levels. Wait, what's that? He didn't? He improved even more? I don't believe you. Anyway, the Spurs are tipped to finish 2nd in the West.

@altodevil - Sacramento Kings (49-33, Conference Semis)

After years of complaining about his situation, altodevil finally found himself in the playoffs last season with the Kings, even making the Conference Semis. It seems to have motivated our defensive giant, who improved even further. His team was more mixed, but broadly improved as well, so their 3rd prediction might not be too unrealistic.

@Solius, @The Cat & @weetee - Seattle Supersonics (46-36, 1st Round)

It's the not-so-super-last-time super team! In their defense they were missing their best player all season, and both weetee and The Cat were injured during their short playoff run. While The Cat saw a slight decline, it's more than matched in improvements to Solius and weetee. Seattle are at the top of the pre-season Power Rankings.

@reelworld - Washington Wizards (41-41, 1st Round)

Hey guys, reelworld is here too. You might have missed it, but he actually made the playoffs last year with Washington. He improved quite a lot over the summer, though his team was a bit up and a bit down. The bottom of the East is quite weak this year compared to the West, so even though Washington aren't very strong on a league basis, they're still predicted to finish 8th in the East.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
West is stacked. Benito has a cakewalk to the finals every year. Luckiest player of all time.

hobbers

Could we maybe see who's in the lineups for the other good teams? Bulls and Timberwolves especially.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Trade Deadline standings update and trade moves

First of all, here are the standings as of the trade deadline.

The Spurs have a problem, since @hobbers has fractured his ankle, and it's already seen him out for maybe 15 games, and he'll likely miss 20-25 more. Without him they are... not good.

Anyway, let's get to some trade news. None of you were traded season either, but some of your teams still made moves around you. You'll get to decide for yourselves whether those were moves of ambition or moves of submission. I'll tag those of you whose teams were involved, because I can't bear you going one day without giving me attention.

The game tracks how the trades went, for example by measuring the total amount of WS (Win Share) generated by the players involved in the trade. Don't read too much into it, since some trades just happened.

@V.O. @Skizzo

@oneniltothearsenal @Salt Bailly @Dr. Dwayne

@Salt Bailly @Dr. Dwayne

@BenitoSTARR

@hobbers

@reelworld @weetee @The Cat @Solius

Finally, I'd like to reveal the Final Boss of this season, a team which none of you are lucky enough to be on: Chicago Bulls. Just something to consider before you go on settling this season amongst yourselves.

V.O.

So, we were complete dogshit forever, added a 3-shooting PG to the team (literally the only thing we didn't need), and now we're actually quite good?

I don't think I understand basketball. :(

nimic

something nice
Scout
So, we were complete dogshit forever, added a 3-shooting PG to the team (literally the only thing we didn't need), and now we're actually quite good?

I don't think I understand basketball. :(
Actually, you are by far the longest serving player on the team, so everything else has been replaced. 3 of your fellow starters only joined this year, and one of those (Nazr Mohammed) just now came in a trade. I think you had a serious lack of Centers before. Also everyone got better and you got a lot better. In sum, that means wins!

V.O.

Actually, you are by far the longest serving player on the team, so everything else has been replaced. 3 of your fellow starters only joined this year, and one of those (Nazr Mohammed) just now came in a trade. I think you had a serious lack of Centers before. Also everyone got better and you got a lot better. In sum, that means wins!
Ah, sweet. Seems there's been more upheaval than I'd registered.

Is @Skizzo getting minutes at SG, or are me and him just being rotated for the PG spot?

nimic

something nice
Scout
Ah, sweet. Seems there's been more upheaval than I'd registered.

Is @Skizzo getting minutes at SG, or are me and him just being rotated for the PG spot?
He's getting around 30 minutes per game, while you're getting 40, but you're the star so that makes sense. I think he might be playing SG because you're getting all the assists. At the same time you're also leading the entire league in scoring (and both 2 and 3-point attempts), so you're taking most of the shots too.

V.O.

He's getting around 30 minutes per game, while you're getting 40, but you're the star so that makes sense. I think he might be playing SG because you're getting all the assists. At the same time you're also leading the entire league in scoring (and both 2 and 3-point attempts), so you're taking most of the shots too.
Not too shabby!

Can't believe me and @altodevil on the same team went absolutely nowhere when we should be the perfect complement to each other.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Trade Deadline standings update and trade moves

First of all, here are the standings as of the trade deadline.

The Spurs have a problem, since @hobbers has fractured his ankle, and it's already seen him out for maybe 15 games, and he'll likely miss 20-25 more. Without him they are... not good.

Anyway, let's get to some trade news. None of you were traded season either, but some of your teams still made moves around you. You'll get to decide for yourselves whether those were moves of ambition or moves of submission. I'll tag those of you whose teams were involved, because I can't bear you going one day without giving me attention.

The game tracks how the trades went, for example by measuring the total amount of WS (Win Share) generated by the players involved in the trade. Don't read too much into it, since some trades just happened.

@V.O. @Skizzo

@oneniltothearsenal @Salt Bailly @Dr. Dwayne

@Salt Bailly @Dr. Dwayne

@BenitoSTARR

@hobbers

@reelworld @weetee @The Cat @Solius

Finally, I'd like to reveal the Final Boss of this season, a team which none of you are lucky enough to be on: Chicago Bulls. Just something to consider before you go on settling this season amongst yourselves.

I’m going to hammer the Bulls so hard the new phrase won’t be “Take life by the horns” it will be “Twat the bull with a feck off hammer”

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I swear we're around that place at this point every season before squeezing into the playoffs.

Last edited:

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Ok that Bulls team is disgusting, young too.

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
@nimic what's with that salary c(r)ap .. and the fact we're not meeting it for some years now. Can see others being a wee bit upset about it down the line. Good thing we're not crushing the conference as it stands.