g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Gaming The RedCafe NBA Simulation 11/12 | Season Preview - West & East | Can anyone challenge altodevil and the Lakers? | Still open to sign-ups

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Great stuff @nimic

Can't remember being this invested in an experiment/sim so consistently all the way through before.

hobbers

I'm expecting one hell of a time lapse video at the end of this.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
This has been excellent to follow through.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Where does a FC even play? I have no idea what my guy is supposed to do :lol:

2003 Draft and Free Agency

nimic

something nice
Scout

Draft

No cafites in the draft, so here's the lot. Unfortunately (?) there's few Cafites on really bad teams either, so the biggest stars are probably not going to join your team this draft.
  1. LeBron James to Atlanta Hawks
  2. Carmelo Anthony to Milwaukee Bucks
  3. Chris Bosh to Utah Jazz
  4. Dwyane Wade to Orlando Magic
  5. Marquis Daniels to Washington Wizards
  6. Kirk Hinrich to Indiana Pacers
  7. Zaza Pachulia to New Orleans Hornets
  8. Maciej Lampe to Chicago Bulls
  9. Leandro Barbosa to New Jersey Nets
  10. Jarvin Hayes to Dallas Mavericks

Free Agency

@reelworld has left the Washington Wizards (31-51) and signed with the Philadelphia 76ers (50-32) for $7.69M/yr through 2007
@Dan has left the Philadelphia 76ers (50-32) and joined the Utah Jazz (25-57, drafted Chris Bosh) for $9.05M/yr through 2008
@Salt Bailly has left the Denver Nuggets (36-46) and signed a contract with the Washington Wizards (31-51, drafted Marquis Daniels) for $9.26M/yr through 2008
@oneniltothearsenal has decided to sign a new contract with the Miami Heat (47-35) for an NBA-record $14.5M/yr through 2008.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs

Draft

No cafites in the draft, so here's the lot. Unfortunately (?) there's few Cafites on really bad teams either, so the biggest stars are probably not going to join your team this draft.

Free Agency

@reelworld has left the Washington Wizards (31-51) and signed with the Philadelphia 76ers (50-32) for $7.69M/yr through 2007
@Dan has left the Philadelphia 76ers (50-32) and joined the Utah Jazz (25-57, drafted Chris Bosh) for $9.05M/yr through 2008
@Salt Bailly has left the Denver Nuggets (36-46) and signed a contract with the Washington Wizards (31-51, drafted Marquis Daniels) for $9.26M/yr through 2008
@oneniltothearsenal has decided to sign a new contract with the Miami Heat (47-35) for an NBA-record $14.5M/yr through 2008.
I guess I just care about the weather and women in Miami rather than winning . The hard price of fame.

reelworld

Draft

Free Agency

So Sixers significantly upgraded their PG :cool:

hobbers

Keep going until the ottomans have finished conquering Europe at least

altodevil

Childs are a great idea, but what about love childs?

nimic

something nice
Scout
Childs are a great idea, but what about love childs?
Average out the ratings between two of you, create altobbers? Or hobbdevil?

Or maybe just randomly take half the ratings of one, half of the other.

That's a great "this is the end of the Simulation, just one more season" idea.

03/04 Season Preview - East

nimic

something nice
Scout
2003/2004 Season Preview (East)

Pre-season Power Rankings (might change due to trades later)

Cafites in the top 4 teams in the West, while BenitoSTARR now has two teams above him in the rankings (including the newly LeBronified Atlanta Hawks).

League Finances and priorities

Eastern Conference

@BenitoSTARR on the New York Knicks (55-27, Conference Finals)

Yet another off-season of improvement for BenitoSTARR. He's in danger of becoming a threat from close range, and he might even grab a few rebounds. His fellow Knicks starters got worse except for the 2nd best player on the team, but we've seen what having a superstar on the team can do. Of course, we've also seen with hobbers a couple of times that just having a superstar on the team isn't enough.

@V.O. and @Skizzo on the Cleveland Cavaliers (45-37, 1st Round)

Skizzo got a little worse, V.O. got a little better, and the Cavs as a whole seem to have improved marginally. It was enough to make the playoffs last year, and you'd think it would be enough again. The East has quite a few teams in the same general skill area as the Cavs though, so our boys will definitely have to fight for their spot.

@Salt Bailly on the Washington Wizards (31-51)

After 5 seasons of (mostly) just barely not making the playoffs, Salt Bailly decided that a change was in order. He seems to have picked a team that is ever so slightly on the up, with a reasonably strong starting 5. Salt Bailly himself took a small step backwards over the summer, but really he's only back to the level where he's been almost literally his whole career.

@oneniltothearsenal (still) on the Miami Heat (47-35, 2nd Round)

oneniltothearsenal has truly become Florida Man, recently signing a new contract that will take him into his 30s. They made the 2nd Round in the playoffs last time, so it's not like he's choosing to lose. Though it should be noted that most of the Heat saw a small ratings decline during the off-season, including the big man himself. It just means he's back to where he was two years ago, so let's not overreact. On the other hand... #washed?

@reelworld on the Philadelphia 76ers (50-32, 1st Round)

Taking Dan's spot on the Philadelphia 76ers is reelworld. For some reason his new team is predicted to be really bad, despite them making the playoffs last season. Some players have declined, but they've also got two players in their mid-20s who are only getting better. Still, this is probably not a season where we can expect too much.

West coming soon.

altodevil

The Sacramento owners are akin to the Glazers

03/04 Season Preview - West

nimic

something nice
Scout
2003/2004 Season Preview (West)

Western Conference

@weetee, @Solius and @The Cat on the Seattle Supersonics (54-28, Conference Finals)

No big changes in the prediction here - the Seattle Supersonics should still be a title contender. weetee got a bit worse, but at the same time Solius got even better. The Cat didn't get worse or better. He's on the last year of his contract though, so he'll have to decide if he wants to stay in Seattle and probably not start every game, or move to a worse team where he probably won't be a champion. Jermaine O'Neal's contract also expires this season, so it's possible it's now or never if the Seattle Trio wants to win another title.

@hobbers on the San Antonio Spurs (39-43, 1st Round)

90! The absolute madman. hobbers is getting dangerously close to not having to be dangerously close to the basket to be able to score. Is it going to be enough to do anything in the playoffs this season? It's hard to say, but the Spurs' three best players' contracts expire after the season, so if they want to keep a good thing going they probably have to make some waves this time. hobbers is currently not very happy having to drag them to the playoffs only to get eliminated in the 1st Round.

@altodevil on the Sacramento Kings (60-22, NBA Champions)

Our most recent champion also got better. Truly the rich get richer. Although Sacramento aren't particularly rich, so maybe that doesn't really work. In any case, altodevil has seen some of his teammates take steps backwards over the summer, including the guy who certainly seemed to unlock him, Shaq. On the other hand, DerMarr Johnson took a veritable leap. On the third hand, altodevil's contract runs out after this season. And despite winning the title he doesn't seem to be overly attached to the Kings. Could we get a new super team next season? Could hobbers and altodevil swap teams? Anything is possible.

@Dr. Dwayne on the Denver Nuggets (36-46)

Dr. Dwayne has to be the poster boy for not sleeping on players who have slow starts. He got drafted as a 45, and now he's a 74. Though Salt Bailly left him, the team is predicted to do quite well this season. No doubt the fact that Salt Bailly was seemingly replaced by Kevin Garnett has something to do with that. Two 74-rating players can do a lot of good together, even if the rest of the team is distinctly mediocre.

@Stobzilla and @P-Nut on the Memphis Grizzlies (37-45)

Stobzilla is still on the team that drafted him, but that might not be the case after this season. He doesn't seem very unhappy, but nor does he seem particularly happy either. The fact that he got a little bit worse over the pre-season probably doesn't help. At least some of that skill seems to have rubbed off on P-Nut, who is now getting quite good. It's not a bad team, but nor is it particularly good. It's certainly not impossible we'll see them in the playoffs this year.

@Dan on the Utah Jazz (25-57)

Dan had clearly had enough of Philadelphia, so he decided to go to sunny Utah instead. Dan is eternal, so hasn't changed at all since last season. Unfortunately we can't say the same for his new teammates, who almost universally got ever so slightly worse. It's not a particularly young team either, with the exception of Chris Bosh. Still, that might mean Dan just has to suffer a few seasons of bad results for good draft picks. Maybe.

@Samid on the Houston Rockets (33-49)

It's a miracle, Samid is on the same team as he was last season! It's still not a very good team, though. At least 31-year old Chris Webber improving to 72 is a good sign for those of you worrying that entering your late 20s is going to be the end of your improvement. Anything can happen. Samid might even make the playoffs. He won't, but he could.

@sebsheep on the Portland Trailblazers (38-44)

sebsheep saw some marginal changes over the summer, but they probably won't amount to much difference when it comes to actual games. His Trailblazers didn't make the playoffs last year, and it's not looking particularly likely this season either if we're honest. The two best players left in free agency (Kevin Garnett to the Nuggets and Keyon Dooling to the Timberwolves), and though they signed 3x MVP and 2x Champion Michael Finley to replace them, he's getting old.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
If me, hobbers or alto ever got on the same team it'd be carnage for the rest of em.

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
I think my dude got worse 4/5 seasons. Sorry mates.

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
You make me sick.
My meta game is awesome though. But my really big pay check also hinders Seattle to bring in a top guy who can actually score (or defend) and not just be a catalyst for your progress.

Imagine me getting paid so much more than you! :lol:

nimic

something nice
Scout
My meta game is awesome though. But my really big pay check also hinders Seattle to bring in a top guy who can actually score (or defend) and not just be a catalyst for your progress.

Imagine me getting paid so much more than you! :lol:
Oh I wouldn't worry about that, you guys are so far above the salary cap that you're never signing a star again until the entire team is broken up. The best you can do is keep re-signing your current players and get cheap veterans.