Gaming The RedCafe NBA Simulation 11/12 | Season Preview - West & East | Can anyone challenge altodevil and the Lakers? | Still open to sign-ups

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'

@nimic I'm signing for the Sonics on a 2 year minimum salary contract. The hardest road.

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
Champaign today it is!

Guess thanks @Solius, my best game reads like a stinker tho?

And Knicks losing to the Nets? :lol:

00/01 Season Review & Awards

nimic

something nice
Scout
00/01 Season Review and Awards (part 1)

Awards

Not a bad haul. @Solius making the 2nd All-League Team (with @oneniltothearsenal and @V.O.), as well as wining Finals MVP. @BenitoSTARR is on the first. We've also got the very familiar trio of @altodevil, oneniltothearsenal and @hobbers onthe 1st All-Defensive Team, with altodevil also winning Defensive Player of the Year. Again. Also, @sebsheep is the 6th Man of the Year!

I'll do the personal stats a little bit differently this time. Partly to try something new out, and partly because I accidentally let the game run one week into the new season, so it would have the wrong stats in the place I usually show.

Games - Minutes Played - Field Goals & % - 3 Pointers and % - 2 Pointers and % - Free Throw % - Total Rebounds - Assists - Turnovers - Steals - Blocks - Personal Fouls - Points (per game)

@weetee @sebsheep @reelworld @oneniltothearsenal @hobbers @altodevil @V.O. @The Cat @Stobzilla @Solius @Skizzo @Samid @Salt Bailly @Dr. Dwayne @Dan @BenitoSTARR

Statistical Feats

nimic

something nice
Scout
Best free thrower in the league you'll never sing that
Since you've been in purgatory until now, and since I accidentally simmed a week into the new season, I feel it's fine to let you know in advance that you are getting a little bit better. And it's making you play a lotta bit more. I'm talking nearly orders of magnitude.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Once again the best offensive weapon. Also making the defensive 2nd team too.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Since you've been in purgatory until now, and since I accidentally simmed a week into the new season, I feel it's fine to let you know in advance that you are getting a little bit better. And it's making you play a lotta bit more. I'm talking nearly orders of magnitude.

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
Best free thrower in the league you'll never sing that
I wonder how many FTs you got in that half an hour you played this season?

But Alto having almost the highest FG% despite his attributes makes AI scratch its head I hope.

2001 Draft, Free Agency and Trades

nimic

something nice
Scout

Draft
  1. Andrei Kirilenko to Washington Wizards
  2. Pau Gasol to San Antonio Spurs
  3. Tony Parker to Sacramento Kings
  4. Jason Richardson to Denver Nuggets
  5. Gilbert Arenas to Milwaukee Bucks
  6. Richard Jefferson to Orlando Magic
  7. Gerald Wallace to Indiana Pacers
  8. Joe Johnson to Los Angeles Lakers
  9. Shane Battier to Cleveland Cavaliers
  10. Kenny Satterfield to Phoenix Suns
Free Agency and Trades

@Dr. Dwayne has left @Stobzilla and the Vancouver Grizzlies to join @Salt Bailly on the Denver Nuggets ($11.73M/year through 2006)
@sebsheep has signed a new contract with the Portland Trailblazers ($12.57M/year through 2006)
@V.O. has signed a new contract with the Cleveland Cavaliers ($13.82M/year through 2006)
@Samid has been traded from the Orlando Magic to the Los Angeles Lakers

Name change

The Vancouver Grizzlies have moved, and are now the Memphis Grizzlies.

Samid

Draft
  1. Andrei Kirilenko to Washington Wizards
  2. Pau Gasol to San Antonio Spurs
  3. Tony Parker to Sacramento Kings
  4. Jason Richardson to Denver Nuggets
  5. Gilbert Arenas to Milwaukee Bucks
  6. Richard Jefferson to Orlando Magic
  7. Gerald Wallace to Indiana Pacers
  8. Joe Johnson to Los Angeles Lakers
  9. Shane Battier to Cleveland Cavaliers
  10. Kenny Satterfield to Phoenix Suns
Free Agency and Trades

@Dr. Dwayne has left @Stobzilla and the Vancouver Grizzlies to join @Salt Bailly on the Denver Nuggets ($11.73M/year through 2006)
@sebsheep has signed a new contract with the Portland Trailblazers ($12.57M/year through 2006)
@V.O. has signed a new contract with the Cleveland Cavaliers ($13.82M/year through 2006)
@Samid has been traded from the Orlando Magic to the Los Angeles Lakers

Name change

The Vancouver Grizzlies have moved, and are now the Memphis Grizzlies.
Worrying that there's no mention of my salary.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Worrying that there's no mention of my salary.
Unchanged, since you're on the same contract. Nobody actually signs anyone in the NBA, they all play for the organization so they just pass contracts around. You get paid a paltry $1.57M, but you only have one year left.

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
@nimic is it still possible for you to give us a player profil update for the new season (despite that it started already)? You know, with the changed attributes and all?

nimic

something nice
Scout
Did we even draft anyone?
You drafted Jamaal Tinsley

@nimic is it still possible for you to give us a player profil update for the new season (despite that it started already)? You know, with the changed attributes and all?
It is, and I'm going to. It'll just give you a tiny peek into how the season started when I show your teams (I can't be arsed to edit away one week's worth of team record).

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
It is, and I'm going to. It'll just give you a tiny peek into how the season started when I show your teams (I can't be arsed to edit away one week's worth of team record).
I won‘t complain. Thanks anyway!

01/02 Season Preview

nimic

something nice
Scout
01/02 Season Preview

Power Rankings

Teams and Players (as I said, I went a week into the season by mistake, so you get a glimpse of how your team is initially doing)

@V.O. - Cleveland Cavaliers (30-52)

V.O. and Cleveland missed the playoffs last season, and it's not exactly clear why it would be any different this season. At least V.O. improved slightly. He's also got that nice, very long, contract of his, so if he wants to be on a good team before he's closer to 30 than 20 he should do something about it.

@Salt Bailly & @Dr. Dwayne - Denver Nuggets (24-58)

Finally, Salt Bailly is no longer alone. Dr. Dwayne decided the team with the worst regular season record last season was the place for him. To be fair, it's not exactly the same team anymore. Dr. Dwayne has continued improving, and it's definitely unthinkable that we could see him and Salt Bailly in the playoffs. Salt Bailly himself has, of course, not improved or declined. Since his first season he has been either 61 or 62 overall rating, with one season at 64. Reliable.

@Stobzilla - Memphis Grizzlies (35-47)

Speaking of Dr. Dwayne, here's Stobzilla - who is no longer on speaking terms with him. It's hard to see Memphis (as they are now called) have a very good season, but it should be noted that Stobzilla got somewhat better over the summer. Several teammates seem to have improved as well, maybe filling the Dr. shaped hole left behind by he who should not be named?

@oneniltothearsenal - Miami Heat (40-42)

Don't be fooled by all the red on oneniltothearsenal's profile. At 72 he's still one of the best players in the league. His issues so far have had more to do with his teammates. Is this season going to be any different? Maybe? There have been some improvements, in any case.

@BenitoSTARR - New York Knicks (59-23)

BenitoSTARR continues improving, although in baby steps. He took his team to another year of topping the Eastern Conference, though last year he failed to win the Championship afterwards. This year the Power Rankings actually don't have the Knicks 6th anymore, but 2nd. And you can see why, with no weak spots in the starting 5.

@Samid - Orlando Magic (27-55)

If Dr. Dwayne is He Who Should Not Be Named, Samid has been He Who Should Not Play. At least so far. He took a great leap over the summer, though, and while 49 overall rating isn't strictly good, it should be enough for the AI coaches to realize he's on the team. He's also got a very particular set of skills, which might not cause him to do so poorly. His team is expected to do very poorly, though.

nimic

something nice
Scout
01/02 Season Preview cont.

@Skizzo & @Dan - Philadelphia 76ers (37-45)

I don't feel like there's a lot to say about Skizzo and Dan. They weren't very far away from the playoffs last season, but nor were they particularly close. Dan has declined a little bit, but it's unlikely to make a very great difference. Their team has gotten a little bit better, I suppose?

@sebsheep - Portland Trailblazers (42-40)

sebsheep was one of the few Cafites to make the playoffs last season. His Portland could do it again, but it's certainly not a given with the way the team has developed since last season. It's still a decent team, but no more than that, surely.

@hobbers - San Antonio Spurs (31-51)

It sure seems like hobbers is basically manifesting his own growth. It can't be a coincidence that the greenest character has the greenest ratings. 87 is honestly quite a ridiculous overall rating. This isn't Football Manager, where you can get several players over 190. In this game 80+ is GOAT-territory, and 90+ is near impossible. You could play a save for a hundred seasons and not have a player reach 90. If hobbers is unable to get his team to the playoffs now, I think he has to accept some amount of mockery.

@altodevil - Sacramento Kings (31-51)

Speaking of people not taking their teams to the playoffs, here's altodevil. On one hand it's quite a new team, which includes newly signed Shaq. On the other hand, there are still some pretty big gaps in the squad. In any case it will be interesting to see how two the two big Centers co-exist. Or if they can.

@The Cat, @weetee & @Solius - Seattle Supersonics (59-23)

We've come to our latest NBA Champions. Will they repeat their feat this year? They certainly seem to be the odds favourites again, and you can see why. Very minor ratings declines for Solius and weetee are more than made up for by The Cat, who takes a leap into the 60s. If they want to make a dynasty they better do it quickly, because by the team screen you can clearly see a) that they are way over the salary cap (which is going to be expensive), and two players in the starting 5 have cheap contracts that run out after this season.

@reelworld - Washington Wizards (31-51)

You can't see reelworld on the team, but I promise that he's down there somewhere. At 47 rating he's not going to be deemed good enough to start, but he is going to get to play. He's also quite Samid-esque in his ability set, so I think he might not do too poorly when he does play. His team isn't great, but it's not particularly bad either, with some improvements across the board since last season. Might we even catch them in the playoffs?

Samid

If Dr. Dwayne is He Who Should Not Be Named, Samid has been He Who Should Not Play. At least so far. He took a great leap over the summer, though, and while 49 overall rating isn't strictly good, it should be enough for the AI coaches to realize he's on the team. He's also got a very particular set of skills, which might not cause him to do so poorly. His team is expected to do very poorly, though.
Jumping: 2

You call that a great leap?!