The right side of our attack

Glorio

I know there are threads about individual players who feature on the right side of our attack, but I wasn't sure if we had one dedicated to that position in itself (apologies if there's one!)

Thought I'd raise one as it's a hot topic and Ole's made direct quotes towards the issue:

“The right side has traditionally, over the years, been a bit of a challenge for us going forward,” Ole explained after the emphatic success on Tuesday night. “We haven't found like a right-winger, right-back to fill the void when Antonio [Valencia] left but Aaron is getting better.

“I thought Mason's performance was excellent, even though he didn't score. So the two of them can form a very good right side.”
It's always been painfully obvious, and the pursuit of Sancho showed that. It's obviously something the staff have been working on as Greenwood quite pointedly mentioned a couple of weeks back that he was working on helping AWB in defense more.
Personally, I think it makes sense for them to build an understanding till Amad starts to push (would be great to have 2 youngsters battling it out and pushing each other like Rashford and Martial did on the left side for a period). AWB is definitely looking a lot more assured in attack so that helps an awful lot with Mason able to play narrower and being closer to goal.

The other current options -
Rashford who can't cut in and shoot as he likes to, and we lose too much on the LW anyway

Pogba - just looks uncomfortable there and can't influence the game much without drifting inside.

Amad - unsure how ready he is right now, but when he is, looks like he could be something special.

In other news, looks like Sancho is starting to hit form again in Germany. Wonder what that means for us.

What do you reckon our RW should look like going forward?

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
I think it’s a confidence issue with AWB and he was clinical for that first goal. I think he would be a revelation next season if he continues to improve going forward.

To be honest, I have more confidence in AWB improving his attacking movement than I am of Pogba maintaining his current form and defensive discipline.

Stevondo8

AWB is clearly getting better (although low bar to begin with). He has a trait though which is beginning to annoy me. If Greenwood gets the ball in a bit of space out wide, AWB often does a underlapping run which then takes away any opportunity for Greenwood to have a go at the full back, forcing him to quite often recycle possession back through the CM’s. Sometimes I’d just like AWB to hang back a bit and give Greenwood more space to operate.

still, if they can become an effective unit like Rashford and Shaw are on the other side, we could be on to something.

bsCallout

AWB is clearly getting better (although low bar to begin with). He has a trait though which is beginning to annoy me. If Greenwood gets the ball in a bit of space out wide, AWB often does a underlapping run which then takes away any opportunity for Greenwood to have a go at the full back, forcing him to quite often recycle possession back through the CM’s. Sometimes I’d just like AWB to hang back a bit and give Greenwood more space to operate.

still, if they can become an effective unit like Rashford and Shaw are on the other side, we could be on to something.
Disagree with this. If AWB sat back at all then Greenwood would be crowded out.

The run inside should ideally draw a player out to give Greenwood the space to cut in and get a shot off.

Stevondo8

Disagree with this. If AWB sat back at all then Greenwood would be crowded out.

The run inside should ideally draw a player out to give Greenwood the space to cut in and get a shot off.
Theoretically yes, but from the times I notice, all that seems to happen is any space inside the full back goes so Greenwood can’t cut inside as he’s just running into someone else, so he ends up passing it off to a CM. Seems to happen most if we win ball back in midfield and try to spring quickly. Overlapping run is different as the full back will likely follow the runner, but underlapping, AWB tends to get in the way/drag another defender over taking away Greenwood’s chance to have a go at the player, in my view.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Our biggest achilles heel as an attacking unit.

Both RB and RW are an issue. We need an attack minded option at RB and ideally a more experienced RW should also be added to go alongwith the less experienced Diallo and Greenwood. Part of me wishes we could have held on to the fees spent on VDB on areas such as these but hopefully he comes good.

bsCallout

Our biggest achilles heel as an attacking unit.

Both RB and RW are an issue. We need an attack minded option at RB and ideally a more experienced RW should also be added to go alongwith the less experienced Diallo and Greenwood. Part of me wishes we could have held on to the fees spent on VDB on areas such as these but hopefully he comes good.
AWB is coming on nicely, no need for a RB. Diallo is good enough, don't care about age. Plus he works hard defensively too.

MadMike

We need both a backup and an alternative to AWB, ideally someone who's qualities are more offensive than defensive.

As for RW, I think we already took a gamble on Diallo and we won't look elsewhere until we assess that. People keep talking about Sancho but he seems to play more often on the left these days (to cut inside as a right footed player) than the right which is normally occupied by Brandt. I don't think he's the answer and at the quoted prices he's too big of a gamble.

amolbhatia50k

AWB is coming on nicely, no need for a RB. Diallo is good enough, don't care about age. Plus he works hard defensively too.
AWB is not there yet. If he gets there quickly then great, but if we to wait another 3 years to maybe, possibly have a proper attacking outlet from RB. It depends on what our ambitions are. If fulfilling project AWB over the next 2-3 years is the aim then sure. If we want to start competing for the league + CL soon, we may have to add a second RB option (or maybe an academy product can give us that alternative).

Same with Diallo. If he hits his stride instantly like a Fabregas then sure, but if he's a long term talent we need to nurture, then either forget about big tropgies or add more options.

red4ever 79

We literally have no back up in that position. Not sure what has happened with Williams this season. Mensah has gone. Laird is heavily touted but has had injury problems.

amolbhatia50k

We need both a backup and an alternative to AWB, ideally someone who's qualities are more offensive than defensive.

As for RW, I think we already took a gamble on Diallo and we won't look elsewhere until we assess that. People keep talking about Sancho but he seems to play more often on the left these days (to cut inside as a right footed player) than the right which is normally occupied by Brandt. I don't think he's the answer and at the quoted prices he's too big of a gamble.
Agree. Doing that doesnt mean giving up on him.

tomaldinho1

Diallo (from the little I have seen) + AWB has a lot of potential for me. Either that or we spend big on an established RW but think we've moved away from that path

bsCallout

We literally have no back up in that position. Not sure what has happened with Williams this season. Mensah has gone. Laird is heavily touted but has had injury problems.
Getting a back up is no problem, looking to get another starting RB is crazy.

bsCallout

AWB is not there yet. If he gets there quickly then great, but if we to wait another 3 years to maybe, possibly have a proper attacking outlet from RB. It depends on what our ambitions are. If fulfilling project AWB over the next 2-3 years is the aim then sure. If we want to start competing for the league + CL soon, we may have to add a second RB option (or maybe an academy product can give us that alternative).

Same with Diallo. If he hits his stride instantly like a Fabregas then sure, but if he's a long term talent we need to nurture, then either forget about big tropgies or add more options.
AWB is doing more than enough. Add a proper RW and it would be much better. A backup is fine but that is all they'll be so not sure why that's a big deal, what team regularly swaps their RB?

amolbhatia50k

AWB is doing more than enough. Add a proper RW and it would be much better. A backup is fine but that is all they'll be so not sure why that's a big deal, what team regularly swaps their RB?
"More" than enough eh? So he's everything we want form a PL winning fullback and then some. fecksake.

A top team should have two options at RB especially when one is yong and learnin

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I'm aware that this isn't his natural position and I'm generally against crowbarring players into positions that they don't play in, but I would give Van De Beek a shot out on the right. He a worker so he won't shirk the defensive responsibilities, he's quick and tidy on the ball, and while not exactly fast, he's certainly faster than Mata who's had his fair share of games in that position. I just think it could work. Maybe.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Diallo would solve all the problems on our right hand side attack,

bsCallout

"More" than enough eh? So he's everything we want form a PL winning fullback and then some. fecksake.

A top team should have two options at RB especially when one is yong and learnin
What top team has two options at fullback? You only play one.

AWB is one of the best defenders there are and we've already seen the improvements he has made going forward this season. We are not CL or title challengers this season and I expect him to kick on and be one of the best FBs in the world next season.

And this is without even have a RW like all top teams have.

Glorio

I think AWB to his credit is definitely improving offensively. He may look awkward but when he commits to it (which is with a lot more frequency these days), more often than not he goes past players when there's space behind and puts a decent ball in. I've also noticed that he's making a lot more far post runs - had a couple of chances from that sort of position against Arsenal too.

el3mel

I will throw in Diallo there. Not like he will perform worse than others anyway.

Greenwood imo should start playing more central and there's no question about Rashford, he's much better on the left.

Hughes35

I just said in another thread that I'd like to see Pogba given a go on the RW. I think he could be very effective.

Other than that it has to be Greenwood until Diallo is ready for some games.

It's an obvious big weakness though. Martial isn't great full stop and Rashford is one of our best players when on the left, but pretty non existent on the right.