The Rise Of Ruben Amorim

croadyman

He wants total control of transfers+not to work under a sporting director according to the reports coming out of portugal. Really, really limiting his choices if that is indeed true.

Would explain why he went from favourite to out of the picture following his meeting with us and why the same seems to be happening after his interview with Tim steidten at West Ham.

Good luck finding a decent EPL club where you have sole control of transfers.
Yeah INEOS seem to have defined ideas of what they want so he wouldn't get control of transfers here

Fallon d'Floor

Sporting are officially Liga Primeira champions after Benfica lost 2-0 on Sunday.

Amorim's stock continues to rise.

I would have a serious look at him if were INEOS. He's attainable.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I remember 6 years ago when the some fans stormed in to the training ground to attacked players and coaching staff, and then there was an exodus of players that summer with their head coach and president also leaving. I was in Lisbon at the time for work.

Also for a long period, there was only really a big 2 in Portugal, not a big 3, given that Porto and Benfica won every league title between them from 2003-2020. So Amorim has done very well turning it into a genuine big 3 again (during the last 6 years they’ve each won 2 titles apiece). They clearly have a close knit squad, and his 3-4-3 formation with aggressive pressing has been fun to watch.

If they win their final league game of the season against Chaves, I believe they’ll be the first team since Mourinho’s Porto in 2003/2004 to finish with a 100% home record in the Portuguese top flight.

LARulz

Started off his victory speech by making a joke saying he has a plane to catch apparently :lol:

I've said it for a while but I'd like the club to take a look at him. I don't see many available alternatives and the current just sticking to Ten Hag is just pointless

bakalhau

I think he's a fantastic coach, having followed him closely here in Portugal. But being a fantastic coach =/= trophies (specially in England).

What he's done with Sporting falls under the "not normal" kind of work, the kind of quality work that I don't think appears every single year in European Leagues. He also did it at the time where the gap between Sporting and Porto/Benfica was the largest it had ever been.

But he'd need free reigns over everything, and he'd need to not be put under the pressure that will naturally come with the fanbase considering he's not a top european coach. I'd consider him if I was INEOS, but I'd need to make sure he can do his own work, and be protected from the pressure in the first 18 months in case results aren't perfect, so... Tough call.

AlexiV

Supports
FCB
he'd need free reigns over everything, and he'd need to not be put under the pressure that will naturally come with the fanbase considering he's not a top european coach. I'd consider him if I was INEOS, but I'd need to make sure he can do his own work, and be protected from the pressure in the first 18 months in case results aren't perfect, so... Tough call.
If there is one thing the board provides here it is protection against bad results so that wouldnt be problem.

LilienFan

Supports
Darmstadt
In other words, I wanted to leave but no one was interested so now I’ll have to settle on staying at Sporting.
I honestly find that a bit hard to believe given that Bayern Munich is looking at f´n ETH. That Barcelona had to reverse gear on Xavi. United, Juve, maybe Chelsea? Still a few jobs to be sorted out. Maybe Liverpool didn´t like something about him, but I´d say trusting a Dutch coach is much more dangerous. They simply are too stubborn. Super-pressing themselves through the Dutch League might work due to the difference in levels, but that simply does not work in Germany or England. Even that style has it´s naivety limits and guys like Bosz and ETH simply refused to adapt or tweak their style. Let´s see whether Slot is different. Maybe he´s just more comfortable at home, despite the earnings differences.

Baxquux

I honestly find that a bit hard to believe given that Bayern Munich is looking at f´n ETH. That Barcelona had to reverse gear on Xavi. United, Juve, maybe Chelsea? Still a few jobs to be sorted out. Maybe Liverpool didn´t like something about him, but I´d say trusting a Dutch coach is much more dangerous. They simply are too stubborn. Super-pressing themselves through the Dutch League might work due to the difference in levels, but that simply does not work in Germany or England. Even that style has it´s naivety limits and guys like Bosz and ETH simply refused to adapt or tweak their style. Let´s see whether Slot is different. Maybe he´s just more comfortable at home, despite the earnings differences.
It's probably the 'control' demands, which pose more of an immediate issue than just 'stubborness' (Slot sems more flexible than ETH anyway). You don't get that 'control' at BM, managers aren't getting it at Liverpool (with Edwards and, particularly, Hughes as SD), and neither, it would seem, is anyone being offered it at United under the new regime, even if ETH is let go. Chelsea have invested heavily in Execs to oversee football - Juve, I'm not sure about, but I think Motta is heavily tipped there if Allegri leaves.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
After seeing the photos of Sporting’s players and staff celebrating this title win, I thought that Lisbon definitely looked better decorated in green than red !

PepG

Supports
Ajax
Ruben Amorim is in no position to have such a high demands from the clubs that are interested in him. He won two league titles in Portugal ffs..basically he is still a nobody..if Dutch managers are stubborn, portuguese ones are arrogant as feck..