The search for a left back...

seegoblu

For me, LB would be a luxury signing this window. I think United needs to fill holes (RW and CB) before upgrading other positions (LB and DM) and adding depth (CM). Shaw and Williams can absolutely hold down the position for another season+.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
If we sell or loan Dalot then Van Aanholt could be a nice replacement for the upcoming season. I think he would fit our setup very well and probably wouldn't be dissatisfied with Shaw and Williams ahead of him when they are fit. Shaw, Van Aanholt, Williams, Wan Bissaka, Laird. That is enough quality to ensure good competition for places.

-Supreme-

If we sell or loan Dalot then Van Aanholt could be a nice replacement for the upcoming season. I think he would fit our setup very well and probably wouldn't be dissatisfied with Shaw and Williams ahead of him when they are fit. Shaw, Van Aanholt, Williams, Wan Bissaka, Laird. That is enough quality to ensure good competition for places.
If we buy van aanholt then he will rotate with Shaw and Williams won't be ahead of him.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
If we buy van aanholt then he will rotate with Shaw and Williams won't be ahead of him.
Yeah, he is left-footed which is a plus. Currently we have Dalot, TFM, AWB, Williams and Laird, that's 5 right-footed fullbacks and Shaw. It's not essential, but it's a bit unbalanced at the moment. Do you rate PVA?

-Supreme-

Yeah, he is left-footed which is a plus. Currently we have Dalot, TFM, AWB, Williams and Laird, that's 5 right-footed fullbacks and Shaw. It's not essential, but it's a bit unbalanced at the moment. Do you rate PVA?
I rate him higher than Williams at LB.

I'm not a fan of playing right footed players at LB given majority of our attacking players on our left side are right footed, it annoys me seeing our left back looking to cut in when the likes of Rashford or James are doing the same.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I don’t think Williams is better than Van Aanholt. That said, I think we’d need to make the difficult decision to let a left back go if we are to bring another in anyway. I see no sense in buying a third left back. When I made this thread it was always more on the premise of us selling Shaw, which is what I feel needs to happen if we decide to bring a new LB in. Williams isn’t good enough to be first choice, but is a capable understudy. If Shaw’s persistent injuries are going to make Williams the de facto first choice, then he would be the one to replace I think.

As it stands, so long as he can stay fit, I’m okay with Shaw, all flaws considered. His injury record in recent seasons have been frustrating and terrible though.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I don’t think Williams is better than Van Aanholt. That said, I think we’d need to make the difficult decision to let a left back go if we are to bring another in anyway. I see no sense in buying a third left back. When I made this thread it was always more on the premise of us selling Shaw, which is what I feel needs to happen if we decide to bring a new LB in. Williams isn’t good enough to be first choice, but is a capable understudy. If Shaw’s persistent injuries are going to make Williams the de facto first choice, then he would be the one to replace I think.

As it stands, so long as he can stay fit, I’m okay with Shaw, all flaws considered. His injury record in recent seasons have been frustrating and terrible though.
Not going forward, but I don't think there is much in it defensively. PVA isn't a strong defender.

Not sure a LB is necessary, but Pervis Estupian looks like a very good LB. Owned by Watford, been playing at Osasuna this season. Check out this peach of cross at 0:18

Probably wouldn't cost a great deal either.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022

He played 40 times last season and has so far played 33 times this season.

He was very stop start under Jose but he's been much better in the last 2 years.

We missed his outlet yesterday massively - I think he's an important player for us and has been very good since the restart.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He played 40 times last season and has so far played 33 times this season.

He was very stop start under Jose but he's been much better in the last 2 years.

We missed his outlet yesterday massively - I think he's an important player for us and has been very good since the restart.
Well at the point of making this thread, he had just missed about 3 months of football with a hamstring injury. It just all seemed too frequent with him. And we missed him indeed last night, although we didn’t really struggle to build down our left, was more the other side.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Not going forward, but I don't think there is much in it defensively. PVA isn't a strong defender.

Not sure a LB is necessary, but Pervis Estupian looks like a very good LB. Owned by Watford, been playing at Osasuna this season. Check out this peach of cross at 0:18

Probably wouldn't cost a great deal either.
I saw Estupian’s name somewhere the other day, think he was being linked with a move elsewhere.

LuckyScout78

Robin Gosens = The real deal. A machine, still skillful and can score many goals. Can be and match Liverpool Robertson level. A footballer left wing back.

I didn’t discover and know him before this week. I am sold. Luke Shaw is good too, but Gosens as full player is above.

Tackling, pass players, crosser and scoring goals. I will definitely put Gosens in run to buy, before others top clubs buy him. His engine, drive and energy is so high, still really good with the ball. A winning head. Winners.

And Gosens can be LW option for Rashford in need too.

Sancho - McTom/Matic - Pogba - Gosens.

As both LB and LM options, on a really high level. Buy him.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
Apparently Chelsea are going for him now rather than Chilwell. Havertz, Werner, Ziyech, Tagliafico would be an amazing window, even more so when you consider most of their squad is in its infancy.
Even without Havertz is would be a great window... I think they need a good CB more than Havertz though... (not saying they shouldnt get him if they get the chance...)

I think 25 for Tafgliafico would be way more value for money than 75 for Chilwell

SambaBoy

Even without Havertz is would be a great window... I think they need a good CB more than Havertz though... (not saying they shouldnt get him if they get the chance...)

I think 25 for Tafgliafico would be way more value for money than 75 for Chilwell
I see you support Ajax, how good is Tafgliafico?

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
I see you support Ajax, how good is Tafgliafico?
He wont be one of the top 3 left backs in the world at some point I reckon.. In terms of skill on the ball players like Alaba, Alba, Marcelo, Alex Sandro are obviously the betters players.. On the other hand he didnt seem out of line for one second in the attacking possession style of play at Ajax last season... His base technique in terms of first touch and short passing is well in order..

What sets him apart is his his energy, his drive and his aggression. He keeps on going forward on the left, gives assist (going to the back line and pulling it back in front of the goals...) and scores 3-5 goals per season (also scored 3 in the CL last season).. At the same time he is incredibly solid defensively.. He is never neglecting his defensive duties because is more attack focused (like a lot of backs to far).. He is therefore also very suitable for a 4 men defense..

He is very aggressive in his duels, never scared, which makes him the kind of defender no winger would like to play against.. Only downside I can think of is that his style of play has a risk of coming with a lot of yellows... He never got a red for Ajax though..

All and all I think he would be a bargain for 25 in these days for United and would become a fan favourite very quickly.. And that the left back situation would be sorted out for the next five years...

future2future

Apparently Chelsea are going for him now rather than Chilwell. Havertz, Werner, Ziyech, Tagliafico would be an amazing window, even more so when you consider most of their squad is in its infancy.
yeah but we can rival that bid and try to convince him to choose us

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
We need to loan Williams and get a senior LB to fight with Shaw. In fairness to Shaw, his fitness record has been better of late, which was always my biggest concern with him. But on the whole, having an injury prone LB puts us in the situation where we could very easily have to play Williams for 2 or 3 months straight, which is far from ideal now.

croadyman

We need to loan Williams and get a senior LB to fight with Shaw. In fairness to Shaw, his fitness record has been better of late, which was always my biggest concern with him. But on the whole, having an injury prone LB puts us in the situation where we could very easily have to play Williams for 2 or 3 months straight, which is far from ideal now.
Yeah I am definitely coming round to this way of thinking after last few performances,problem is this position would be way down our priority list right now

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Ducker mentioned in his purge article today that we'd like another full back, I'd hope we're going for a left back.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Ducker mentioned in his purge article today that we'd like another full back, I'd hope we're going for a left back.
I reckon it’s on our list, however, probably not for this window.