The Search for a Midfielder

Robertd0803

Id love Neves here. Kante too but no hope in hell Chelsea will sell to us again.

Minimalist

The lack of depth in midfield is a real issue, right now we can't rest any of the 3 starters and when you look at the 3 back-ups it's hard to see much changing come next season from them. Pereira is likely to go and McTominay needs a loan while Fred remains an enigma.
Yeah I can see part of the argument and it's been obvious since Pogba joined we have no one that can even do a poor imitation of him.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
We may need to buy two MFs this summer. Badly need someone who mirrors Herrera. I doubt Andreas will make it and Fred seems marginalized.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
We may need to buy two MFs this summer. Badly need someone who mirrors Herrera. I doubt Andreas will make it and Fred seems marginalized.
Ndombele & ?
Anyone out there that is free and decent quality?

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Sorry I didn’t word that question correctly! :wenger:

I’ve not seen much of Ndombele play before and wasn’t sure if he was more a Herrera type of midfielder or Matic?
From what I've read on here (I haven't seen him myself), he sounds like a Herrera type with more focus on passing.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
The lack of depth in midfield is a real issue, right now we can't rest any of the 3 starters and when you look at the 3 back-ups it's hard to see much changing come next season from them. Pereira is likely to go and McTominay needs a loan while Fred remains an enigma.
I would love to see Pereira and Fred given an opportunity soon, but Ole is the man that makes those decisions, and he hasn't given Fred a chance yet, so he is seeing something that the rest of us can't see. I understand that some players take time to settle, with style of play, language, setting up a home etc all factors. It may be that he can't yet adapt to how Ole wants him to play, but perhaps he will give him the opportunity over the next few weeks with some tough matches coming up.
Pereira could slot in as a back up for Pogba, coming on so he can have a rest. Would like to see Pogba as the tip in a diamond shape, and think Pereira could do well in that position, if not perhaps Gomes could have a crack. McTominay is limited, but he is wholehearted, and will give you a lot of effort, if that is enough? He is also dangerous at set pieces, sometimes a bit of height is an asset.

Last edited:

sideshow_bob

Supports
Healthy nutrition
Ndombele & ?
Anyone out there that is free and decent quality?
Rabiot is free & would bench Matic.

An all-French midfield of Rabiot-Pogba-Kante would be magic. I guess if Kante's a no-go then Ndombele/Partey/Ndidi would do nicely.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout

An all-French midfield of Rabiot-Pogba-Kante would be magic. I guess if Kante's a no-go then Ndombele/Partey/Ndidi would do nicely.
From what I've read, Rabiot would need a lot of humble pie to be worth getting, even for free. Too much of a disruptive character. Also, he refuses to play in the defensive midfield position.

STaphouse

Supports
Reading
I would love to see Pereira and Fred given an opportunity soon, but Ole is the man that makes those decisions, and he hasn't given Fred a chance yet, so he is seeing something that the rest of us can't see. I understand that some players take time to settle, with style of play, language, setting up a home etc all factors. It may be that he can't yet adapt to how Ole wants him to play, but perhaps he will give him the opportunity over the next few weeks with some tough matches coming up.
Pereira could slot in as a back up for Pogba, coming on so he can have a rest. Would like to see Pogba as the tip in a diamond shape, and think Pereira could do well in that position, if not perhaps Gomes could have a crack. McTominay is limited, but he is wholehearted, and will give you a lot of effort, if that is enough? He is also dangerous at set pieces, sometimes a bit of height is an asset.
Pereira has been given opportunities and he's been shite.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Pereira has been given opportunities and he's been shite.
Not in a more forward position he hasn't. Admitted as a normal CM he has not been great. To me he is the closest we have to Pogba (unless Gomes gets the opportunity) and would like to see him given a couple of games to prove whether he could make it or not, if not, then you are correct, and he should move on. Garner looks like a proper CM to me, but whether he will get an opportunity, who knows.

Josep Dowling

Are we just going to ignore RW season on season? It feels like when Fergie didn’t strengthen CM.

Fred has hardly played and I personally don’t think he has looked that bad when he has.

For me RW and a world class CB is priority. After that probably a RB then a CM.

sp_107

Are we just going to ignore RW season on season? It feels like when Fergie didn’t strengthen CM.

Fred has hardly played and I personally don’t think he has looked that bad when he has.

RW and RB are top priority for me as I think we can hold the fort with our center defence for a while

MAME DIOUF 32

I don't think any of the current midfield three have a capable deputy. We've got numbers but no quality. I don't dispute the need for a right back and a right winger too.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Err. He gave Andreas a chance and he was terrible. I mean really poor. Looked like he was very nervous. Had Herrera started that match i feel we would have won.

Alexit

:drool:

That's thread-worthy mate. That would be absolutely delicious!

RepardReece

This midfield trio of Pogba, Matic and Herrera is working really well under OGS. And by the looks of it will continue to be our trio next year if Ole stays on as manager.

However, take Pogba out of our midfield and I think we'd struggle, he's been so important in our attack, starting them and finishing them often. He'd be a big miss if he gets injured, and the man does need rest as well, he can't play every single game. As good as Matic has been also, I believe we'll need someone to replace him soon enough, as with Herrera, who's now 29 unbelievably. Wasted by LVG and Mou.

I'd love to see Fred come into Herrera's role eventually, that's if he improves, which he has shown potential in some games. But Ole hasn't really given him a chance which is worrying. As for Matic's position, I believe the recruitment of Neves would be perfect, who can slowly come into the role next season ready for when Matic needs replacing.
As for Pogba's situation, Lingard may be able to play a similar role, possibly playing a little more forward, as we do need a RW desperately, so Lingard can be used elsewhere. However that is a tough role to fill.

But for this window our midfield isn't priority, we first need to fix the situation of CB and RW, then RB (until Dalot progresses) and CM afterwards. We could keep Young at RB, as he has improved as of late, but I still see a weakness at RB when defending with him there.

Kapardin

We need a back-up for Pogba. Not necessarily world class but someone who can score goals a bit and do atleast 1/2 of what Pogba does. Someone from a lesser club like Fred who would be happy sitting on the bench at times.

I'd say our buys for the summer should be CB, RW, midfielder and a RB. I would like a LB, but I guess we will continue with the Shaw-Young combo for atleast another season.

Sparky Rhiwabon

If we could get Kante that would be perfect. Sarri doesn’t even realise he’s playing him out of position!

Devil may care

Yeah I can see part of the argument and it's been obvious since Pogba joined we have no one that can even do a poor imitation of him.
Pogba is so unique it's hard to have a like for like replacement for him, I'd like to see us give Gomes some chances in that role and if Pogba is rested then we can always go 4-2-3-1 with Lingard in the hole behind Rashford.

I think Fred will almost certainly get a second season to try and become Ander's rotation/competition, if not we could sell him at a loss and bring Rabiot in on a free or Pellegrini with his cheap buyout clause if Ole doesn't think he has enough, I mean people keep trotting out the whole "Lindelof was poor in his first season" line but every player is different, there are examples of players improving after tough first seasons but there are just as many who start of struggling and just continue to struggle because they aren't cut out of the size of the club or the style of the league, a recent example being Morata.

I honestly don't see Pereira here next season but as I mentioned above I could see Gomes getting some games in Pogba's role. McTominay needs a loan IMO, I personally don't see much in him but to know he needs a run playing week in and week out somewhere next season, see if he can be a player that could maybe become Ander's back-up.

The key midfield addition is in the holding role, no matter how many times posters mention playing Herrera there Ole seems to have zero interest as he's too vital higher up in pressing and keeping us on the front foot with his short incisive passing into the forwards, he also doesn't have the long range passing game for the role IMO. So we need another player to rotate/compete with Matic without a doubt.

Canagel

Yes. RW, RB and CB are the absolute priorities. A lot of posters here keep insisting we need creative back up for Pogba but that's just waste imo. Liverpool is challenging for the league without a single creative midfielder- let alone two. We need a DM but it's lower down in the priorities.
I'd be perfectly happy to spend the entire budget on RW and CB tbh. Talk of buying two more midfielders is crazy when there's such glaring defincies in 3 other positions. The RW itself will improve the creativity tenfold and open up space to attack from two sidds.

Last edited:

G-manc

I don't think any of the current midfield three have a capable deputy. We've got numbers but no quality.
I concur with this.

I think Doucoure would be a great signing. Watford are nowhere near the same team without him - he can break things up and drive forward.

I know Neves keep getting mentioned but i've never been overly impressed when i've watched him and we'd get our pants pulled down over the fee. I read a poll the other day where Wolves fans had voted Moutinho as more important to their current run.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
What?
Let's have this debate after the next 3 games. (Matic, pogba, Herrera) these 3 is all we have. If one gets injured, or is out of form for the remaining part of the season, what then ?

Yesterday we only had Mctomminy to come on. We even had to replace Hererra with Bailey for god sake.
Ole thinks that the most important thing is improving the current players. If Ole already said this then Fred is not the exception.

If we spend another 50m do you think we will be guaranteed getting the right one this time?

#CR7

I concur with this.

I think Doucoure would be a great signing. Watford are nowhere near the same team without him - he can break things up and drive forward.
What I love about Doucoure is that he's capable of playing in all of Matic, Herrera and Pogba's positions. Would be a great buy.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
We potentially need 2 midfielders. One should be a Matic replacement, one is hopefully a younger, top talent midfielder who can take over Herrera's or even Pogba's role if needed

In Rainbows

Pogba is so unique it's hard to have a like for like replacement for him, I'd like to see us give Gomes some chances in that role and if Pogba is rested then we can always go 4-2-3-1 with Lingard in the hole behind Rashford.

I think Fred will almost certainly get a second season to try and become Ander's rotation/competition, if not we could sell him at a loss and bring Rabiot in on a free or Pellegrini with his cheap buyout clause if Ole doesn't think he has enough, I mean people keep trotting out the whole "Lindelof was poor in his first season" line but every player is different, there are examples of players improving after tough first seasons but there are just as many who start of struggling and just continue to struggle because they aren't cut out of the size of the club or the style of the league, a recent example being Morata.

I honestly don't see Pereira here next season but as I mentioned above I could see Gomes getting some games in Pogba's role. McTominay needs a loan IMO, I personally don't see much in him but to know he needs a run playing week in and week out somewhere next season, see if he can be a player that could maybe become Ander's back-up.

The key midfield addition is in the holding role, no matter how many times posters mention playing Herrera there Ole seems to have zero interest as he's too vital higher up in pressing and keeping us on the front foot with his short incisive passing into the forwards, he also doesn't have the long range passing game for the role IMO. So we need another player to rotate/compete with Matic without a doubt.
Ryan Gravenberch is similar to Pogba, but with obvious developing needed as he's only 16. Doubt he'll leave Ajax for that reason, but he's someone to keep in mind for the future.

DarkRed

From wiki about Lorenzo Pellegrini :
Regarded as a promising young player, from a tactical standpoint, Pellegrini's natural role is that of a central midfielder, who can be deployed in any position in a three-man midfield, although he is also capable of playing as an attacking midfielder and as a defensive midfielder. A tall, physically strong, yet agile, dynamic, energetic, and hard-working midfielder, his main characteristics are his stamina, ball control, movement, flair, and ability to make attacking runs into the penalty area from behind, as well as his eye for goal, and his striking ability from distance with either foot, despite being naturally right-footed. A former central defender in his youth, he is also an effective ball-winner, which enables him to break down possession, while his vision and technical skills allow him subsequently to carry or distribute the ball and provide assists for his teammates. His wide range of skills thus enable him to contribute at both ends of the pitch, and make him effective in linking both the defensive and offensive aspects of the game in a box-to-box role.

Isn't that is exactly what we all want and need?

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Err. He gave Andreas a chance and he was terrible. I mean really poor. Looked like he was very nervous. Had Herrera started that match i feel we would have won.
That is why I would like to see him further forward, so he hasn't got to worry too much about giving the ball away in a dangerous position. The boy certainly has some talent, but whether he has the application, I'm not sure. I would like to see him succeed, but he has to stamp his authority on the games where he plays.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
That is why I would like to see him further forward, so he hasn't got to worry too much about giving the ball away in a dangerous position. The boy certainly has some talent, but whether he has the application, I'm not sure. I would like to see him succeed, but he has to stamp his authority on the games where he plays.
I am only speculating but it looks like he gets really nervous come the big match. I would not be surprised if he is unreal in training because there is no pressure.

I would love to see him make it. But i doubt he will start again this season. He has more talent than Mc Tominae, but Mc Tominae is more reliable.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
I am only speculating but it looks like he gets really nervous come the big match. I would not be surprised if he is unreal in training because there is no pressure.

I would love to see him make it. But i doubt he will start again this season. He has more talent than Mc Tominae, but Mc Tominae is more reliable.
Yes, I think you can give McTominay a job to do, (possibly why José liked him), and he will stick to that job, Andreas is a bit more instinctive, and will try things, and, like I said, if he was further forward, with no outright defensive duties, we may see a different player, perhaps? I would love to see what Pogba could do in that position, with Andreas coming on to replace him in certain matches to give him a rest.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
It is kind of difficult in that we have a set three of Matic, Herrera and Pogba. All three are really playing well under Ole. We lack cover for them. The problem is that we need to bring in MFs who can do a good enough job when needed, but who are also happy to be sitting on the bench most of the time.

I would like to see more of Fred but worryingly for Fred himself, Ole has not played him. Andreas cannot be trusted.

Loon

:lol:
It will be fascinating to see the first post-Mourinho purchase. Will it be dictated by the scouting network or Solskjaer’s choice?

Manutd1990

From wiki about Lorenzo Pellegrini :
Regarded as a promising young player, from a tactical standpoint, Pellegrini's natural role is that of a central midfielder, who can be deployed in any position in a three-man midfield, although he is also capable of playing as an attacking midfielder and as a defensive midfielder. A tall, physically strong, yet agile, dynamic, energetic, and hard-working midfielder, his main characteristics are his stamina, ball control, movement, flair, and ability to make attacking runs into the penalty area from behind, as well as his eye for goal, and his striking ability from distance with either foot, despite being naturally right-footed. A former central defender in his youth, he is also an effective ball-winner, which enables him to break down possession, while his vision and technical skills allow him subsequently to carry or distribute the ball and provide assists for his teammates. His wide range of skills thus enable him to contribute at both ends of the pitch, and make him effective in linking both the defensive and offensive aspects of the game in a box-to-box role.

Isn't that is exactly what we all want and need?
Thats perfect! Only thing missing is PL experience.. (doucoure) but I'm sure Pellegrini's ceiling I higher.

Cheekiey

This is a shot in the dark but imagine what a midfield trio of Herrera, Pogba and Thiago would play like. Thiago is alot more defensively sound than most think before you jump on me for that. Just think we lack that creative spark that isn't Pogba. Wonder if he fancies a new challenge? pretty certain he isn't on mega wages either