The Search for a Midfielder

Fosu-Mens

I don't know nearly enough about Garner and Levitt to give fair comment on either but I agree with your assessment of the other 3, McTominay might have an O'Shea squad player type of career but could just as easily be a Bournemouth or Watford player in a couple of seasons.
Going to Watford or Bournemouth, wouldn't that be similar to O'Shea joining Sunderland?

Devil may care

Yes of course, they faded in the overtime, had no energy left. Feel that if Costa, who was amongst the best strikers in the world at that point, was subbed off so early due to the injury, they would've won it.
Agreed, nothing went right for then that night, they look set to make the quarters at least again this season and with that midfield and Griezmann they might be dark horses for the CL.

The Carrick comparison is interesting, he also called Mctominay the new Fletcher.

It suggests to me that he's planning a role for them. Which could mean McTominay covering for a year or more until Garner is ready to step up.

The Rakitic links could just be part of contract negotiations, but he might be a better short term addition.
Rakitic doesn't seem to have any interest in leaving Barcelona, more that they want to get rid of him which is a double concern, and I am not sure exactly where he'd fit into the team here or if he has the legs for the PL.

Going to Watford or Bournemouth, wouldn't that be similar to O'Shea joining Sunderland?
Yeah, pretty much, only O'Shea did it further into his career, I could see McTominay making the move sooner depending on how things pan out.

beingshe7don

I've got say Neves seems like a good player and seems to have had a decent season thus far for Wolves but has been pretty average in the last couple of games. Ndombele has looked class every time he's played for Lyon (especially against Barca). Ndombele gets my vote especially since he can play Pogba's or Herrera's role when needed.

Fracture90

Agreed, nothing went right for then that night, they look set to make the quarters at least again this season and with that midfield and Griezmann they might be dark horses for the CL.
Yup, plus the final is to be played on their "Wanda Metropolitano". Honestly since we're unable to win it, I'd love it if Atletco are to win this season's CL.

Nick.

It's looking like it could end up being Bruno Fernandes

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
At this point I would probably take Marquinhos over Verratti. Not that PSG are likely to be selling either.

jesperjaap

At this point I would probably take Marquinhos over Verratti. Not that PSG are likely to be selling either.
As good as he was in the first leg, Marquinhos is so much more a centre back for me. Apart from his injury problems I think Veratti is one of the best, so calm on the ball (almost Scholesesque) and he can really tackle too, maybe not world class in terms of creative passing but apart from that I think he is a great player.

Like you say, they wont be selling either but both would be excellent signings as a centre back and central midfielder for sure

MetoTTT

Marquinhos is a CB. In the first leg, his job was to man mark Pogba and he did a great job. In the 2nd leg, he had to create in midfield because they had 75-80% of the ball...and he was sh*te.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I won't mind Kroos. He's far from done. Looked unmotivated to me.

-Supreme-

I won't mind Kroos. He's far from done. Looked unmotivated to me.
I don't think we would want to spend huge money on a unmotivated player especially when he had already won all major trophies.

We need to invest money wisely particularly on players in their prime age as we haven't had the greatest of success in the past.

bucky

I still think Wylan Cyprien would be a good signing. He's a playmaker, has the passing range and can definitely still improve. Wouldn't cost a lot either, I think.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I still think Wylan Cyprien would be a good signing. He's a playmaker, has the passing range and can definitely still improve. Wouldn't cost a lot either, I think.
Is that the lad at Nice? Has he been linked away at all?

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Correct. To be honest most of the time I am not paying attention to rumours.
Fair enough. I’ll have to have a look next time they’re on TV. I remember hearing he was a prospect at Lens, when I had a lot more time to follow Ligue un closely.

bucky

Fair enough. I’ll have to have a look next time they’re on TV. I remember hearing he was a prospect at Lens, when I had a lot more time to follow Ligue un closely.
I think he's not quite at the level he had before he injured his knee, but he's slowly getting back to it. He could be one of the best players we could sign in terms of playmaking ability. Obviously he's a tier below players like Thiago and Pjanic, but they just aren't realisitic probably.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
For once, we now have a plan and lets move away from these established players like Kroos, Verrati etc.

They are plenty of young hungry options out there who will only get better.

Bearded One

I wonder if Verratti fancies playing in a proper league, what a player. Exactly what we need.
If we manage to pull that one, it would be a game changer for us but there's zero chance because PSG is like a cult. Even when players want out, they just cannot. I'd be happy to focus on more realistic targets.

MetoTTT

For once, we now have a plan and lets move away from these established players like Kroos, Verrati etc.

They are plenty of young hungry options out there who will only get better.
I can't remember except Ligue 1 titles what Verratti has won...

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I can't think of any other than Kante or Veratti, as a sure bet. Very different, but in fairness, we lack both a ball winning midfielder and a composed creative midfielder.

It's probably unrealistic to think you can buy a top class established midfielder in this market today for anything less than 80-100m. I couldn't see either Kante or Veratti leaving for less than 100m.

How good is this Portuguese midfielder we've been linked with, Bruno Fernandes? And how's Savic been getting on at Lazio?

Silas

I can't think of any other than Kante or Veratti, as a sure bet. Very different, but in fairness, we lack both a ball winning midfielder and a composed creative midfielder.

It's probably unrealistic to think you can buy a top class established midfielder in this market today for anything less than 80-100m. I couldn't see either Kante or Veratti leaving for less than 100m.

How good is this Portuguese midfielder we've been linked with, Bruno Fernandes? And how's Savic been getting on at Lazio?
You wouldn't consider Herrera a ball-winning midfielder?

Andersons Dietician

Get Neves and Ndombele, job done.

Am sort of wondering if say we don’t go for Ole and we bring in Poch. Would Erikson be a possible move.

Jibbs

Neves is the perfect signing for united, I won't be surprised if Madrid come calling for him. We should do everything we could to get this deal done. I am still not sold on Ndombele, he looks a bit bulky to me. I would go as much as 80 m for Neves.

Kostov

There was some guy on here banging the drum about how Ruben Nevese was overrated and this and that. Does he still think the same? Second time this year he has schooled Pogba, Matic and Herrera in the midfield battle. Class player and would improve us massively.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Neves is the perfect signing for united, I won't be surprised if Madrid come calling for him. We should do everything we could to get this deal done. I am still not sold on Ndombele, he looks a bit bulky to me. I would go as much as 80 m for Neves.
Shows how much you've watched him:lol:

Ekeke

There was some guy on here banging the drum about how Ruben Nevese was overrated and this and that. Does he still think the same? Second time this year he has schooled Pogba, Matic and Herrera in the midfield battle. Class player and would improve us massively.
I didnt realize he played against those players alone.

Moutinho was better. But the point is their team was set up and organized well so Ruben Neves is well protected. Not what we do.

Ekeke

Seems like a weird shot in the dark there. If Neves is worth £80 million then so is Casemiro and they already have him to play that role.

Kostov

I didnt realize he played against those players alone.

Moutinho was better. But the point is their team was set up and organized well so Ruben Neves is well protected. Not what we do.
He didn't but he played the most important position in that well drilled system and I feel he is the leader of their midfield. Just like Verrati was for PSG.

Their team is set up to protect him? What team does set up to protect their DM? Their teams is well drilled to defend and hit on the counter and he plays an important part of it. In our team he would have less defending and he can use his passing to greater effect. He is also a very smart player, someone who can control and dictate play, something we are lacking very often.

Ekeke

He didn't but he played the most important position in that well drilled system and I feel he is the leader of their midfield. Just like Verrati was for PSG.

Their team is set up to protect him? What team does set up to protect their DM? Their teams is well drilled to defend and hit on the counter and he plays an important part of it. In our team he would have less defending and he can use his passing to greater effect. He is also a very smart player, someone who can control and dictate play, something we are lacking very often.
Surely the most important position in midfield in a team built to defend and then spring counter attacks is the player who wins the ball the most and then creates the most chances. That would be Moutinho.

7 key passes, 5 tackles, 1 interception, 1 clearance, 2 blocked shots, 3 dribbles, 2 shots

Without those kinds of performances Neves would be exposed a lot more. He obviously does his own part but he gets a lot of help from other hardworking CMs next to him. Usually 2 of them.

And Wolves dont control and dictate play. They are a counter attacking team. If you mean he's been designated their player who will play the most easy passes to keep the ball moving then sure, but the opposition usually has more of the ball than they do and then through good teamplay they launch good counter attacks to punish teams. Also sometimes good linkup play from the strikers.

Ekeke

The younger, more combative and defensively secure version of N'Dombele, Ibrahima Sangare.

Would have been a great improvement over Matic under Mourinho, now with Ole we're probably less likely to only be looking at tall players like him but his style is still a bit like Matic on crack. Works a lot harder defensively, similar passing range and a bit of composure on the ball, similarly dribbling is a strength and physically he's a match for anyone. At 21 years old he will hopefully improve and with little exposure so far he'd probably be available for a much more reasonable price than a lot of the mentioned midfielders. And he's someone who works hard enough that he probably wouldn't need someone holding his hand in midfield, like Matic does with Ander.

Kostov

Surely the most important position in midfield in a team built to defend and then spring counter attacks is the player who wins the ball the most and then creates the most chances. That would be Moutinho.

7 key passes, 5 tackles, 1 interception, 1 clearance, 2 blocked shots, 3 dribbles, 2 shots

Without those kinds of performances Neves would be exposed a lot more. He obviously does his own part but he gets a lot of help from other hardworking CMs next to him. Usually 2 of them.

And Wolves dont control and dictate play. They are a counter attacking team. If you mean he's been designated their player who will play the most easy passes to keep the ball moving then sure, but the opposition usually has more of the ball than they do and then through good teamplay they launch good counter attacks to punish teams. Also sometimes good linkup play from the strikers.
Ruben Neves had 4 tackles successful out of 5, Moutinho won 5 out of 8. Neves 2 interceptions and was dribbled 1 while Moutinho had 1 interception and was dribbled 3 times. Neves had 2 clearances while Moutinho had 1. Both had 1 blocked shot. I'm not fan of stats but Neves did more defensive work and that is not even counting the aerial part where he had 1 clearance.

I said it myself that they play on the counter attack, and I think in a team like ours where he will have more of the ball he can do it.

Neves also hit that good pass for Jota the one chance where Romero saved it. He is a very good passer and not someone who only plays safe passes. I think you are underestimating him.

Ekeke

Ruben Neves had 4 tackles successful out of 5, Moutinho won 5 out of 8. Neves 2 interceptions and was dribbled 1 while Moutinho had 1 interception and was dribbled 3 times. Neves had 2 clearances while Moutinho had 1. Both had 1 blocked shot. I'm not fan of stats but Neves did more defensive work and that is not even counting the aerial part where he had 1 clearance.

I said it myself that they play on the counter attack, and I think in a team like ours where he will have more of the ball he can do it.

Neves also hit that good pass for Jota the one chance where Romero saved it. He is a very good passer and not someone who only plays safe passes. I think you are underestimating him.
I didnt say he isnt capable of good passes or that he didnt make any good passes. But Moutinho set up 7 chances whilst winning the ball more. Not 1. 7.

Having a midfielder that does both means Neves has much less work to do defensively and he isnt needed to be the creative hub of the team. He just needs to find Moutinho who does the rest.

Take Moutinho out and Neves has to do twice as much defensively and a lot more offensively.

WolfInSharp'sClothing

Supports
Wolves
Last season I watched Neves and thought he was the best midfielder I'd ever seen play for Wolves.

He was, until Moutinho rocked up this season. Neves is on another level but Moutinho is on a different planet.

I always thought he was an attacking playmaker type, but he can do it all. The complete midfield player.