g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

The Search for a Midfielder

VanHaal'sRedArmy

This is the sort of midfielder United need:

Closest player we have to that is Jesse, but without the defensive nous

Siorac

You are obtuse arent you. Even today Fellaini is more of a goal threat than Rooney. My point was, if you would pay attention, that Fergie as he has done before foresaw a decline with Rooney and in fact probably would have moved him on if he hadnt have retired.

It was subsequently proved after Moyes gave him his bumper contract that Rooney wasnt the same player and despite several flashes he would never be as good as he once was. Fast forward to Fellaini, who Moyes, LVG and Mourinho obviously rated, and his contract situation. Obviously he is a more limited player than Rooney was but he is good at what he does and is always a threat in the box as was proved vs Arsenal.

Is he doing himself favours talking about his worth etc? no but then again he doesn't owe the fanbase anything due to the treatment he gets. I actually think he should move on to somewhere that would appreciate him but equally I wouldnt mind if Jose convinced him to stay. Either way he is an effective threat in the box and a good enough squad player for a lot of big teams.
It's hard to take you seriously when you say things like Fellaini is more of a goal threat than Rooney...

The original post you replied to claimed that extending Rooney's contract was a similar mistake back then as extending Fellaini's would be now. And you were simply wrong in claiming that Rooney, back then, could no longer do the things he was good at. He scored 17 league goals the following season. Later he became complete shite, yes, and we kept him around for too long - exactly the mistake we're about to make with Fellaini, except he wasn't very good to begin with.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
No, they both finished one season in the top 4 and one outside and won a domestic cup each, to me a Europa League win doesn't outweigh the garbage football and the regression of our young players, at least the latter had a chance under LvG. They are both outdated, arrogant men who had the team playing garbage football, the difference is the young players under LvG were supported instead of maligned, and the toxic nature of Mourinho is far worse than the eccentricity of LvG, neither should be United manager.
Sorry Devil I really like your posts normally but with Jose thread your hatred of him totally gives you a slanted view so don’t know what to post as you are never going to be balanced or reasonable in this thread so I’ll just leave it.

Beaucoup

Sorry Devil I really like your posts normally but with Jose thread your hatred of him totally gives you a slanted view so don’t know what to post as you are never going to be balanced or reasonable in this thread so I’ll just leave it.
Will soon change his tune when Jose finally builds his squad and we play scintillating football on our way to the title.

Devil may care

Hilarious how dramatic you are, this disease you talk about is clearly a good one, because it’s carried a broken team from 5th to 2nd whilst getting to 3 Cup finals in 2 seasons.

I think most teams would love this disease you mention!

You seem to be deluded to our progress and recent success. You know we’re not 15th in the league, right? If he’s losing the squad ruining them, why are we going to finish 2nd and get over 80 points?

You’re also incredibly naive to use the old “We’re Manchester United, we should be winning everything” card in previous posts. The squad he took over were awful, thanks to LVG and Moyes failing to replace Fergies squad. He’s taken over a side finishing 7th, 4th, 5th, 6th and has them 2nd.

“Throwing players under the bus”? Or stating the standards required to play for United? Just because your beloved Martial and Pogba played terrible, again, you blame the very manager who wasn’t happy with their performances, laughable. They earn hundreds of thousands of pounds a week and train in world class facilities, they don’t need spoon feeding from a soft manager, they SHOULD be told if they’re not good enough. They’re men not kids. Martial isn’t a kid, he’s an international footballer who’s lived and played in 2 countries.
I've never said that, in fact we already established winning is not the focus for me in this discussion, but like most of what you've written in this bloviated mess of a Mourinho shrine you've shovelled at me, you just made something up to suit your agenda.

Comparing Allegri’s Juve to the current United squad is laughable!

Pogba played in a peak-European side that was bossed by Pirlo and many other genuine world class, peak players. It was a golden generation of a squad and and an easier league.

Of course Pogba slotted in to a team of absolute winners and played well.

Different task being asked to carry a team during a re-build. That requires real balls and real drive and sadly he doesn’t have it.
So many excuses, it's pathetic, Pogba is far from perfect, he has flaws, never said he didn't, but if he had a manager that knew how to deal with flair players that need coaching, rather than just grinder dogs that follow orders like drones, maybe things would work better.

You make out like Mourinho is a tinker man, he uses 2 formations pal not 5 or 6! When you’ve got a monopoly of the best players like Juve did in that period, Bayern, United in the 90s, you CAN stick to 1 formation, but when you’re 1 of 5 huge clubs competing for top spot, you have to change things depending on the opponent, hence we beat Liverpool, Chelsea, Tottenham, Arsenal, City recently..... And they lost playing their predictable formation and style. The very thing you’re criticising him for is regarded by the professionals as intelligence and a skill. Just shows your knowledge of what a world class manager is. I’m so glad you’re not in charge of my club, you’d have a 1 dimensional manager in charge and we’d finish exactly where the other club with a 1 dimensional manager are, 6th.
He's used more than 2 formations, but whether you watch the games or just read the results I am starting to wonder, I am guessing maybe it's the latter and that is how you can keep defending this toxic manager. Also, there was a delusional manager with 1 way of playing and he's the best manager in the game sitting 17 points ahead of your boy,. but hey ho, lets just ignore that.

No, I didn’t say he’s not good enough, I was disagreeing with you that Pep has turned him into a world beater. He’s been decent, no better than the form he showed before he arrived. Same could be said about Martial.
1 season in a new league and he's scored 1 in 2, and you think it's the same as what he was doing in Brazil, as if that is comparable to the PL, in the exact same post that you talk down about Serie A in comparison to the PL, I'm starting to get your "Just say any old shit" in big blocks of text and hope no one notices.

Wow, comparing Martial to Ronaldo, one of the greatest players OF ALL TIME, to try to win an argument, now I’ve read it all on RedCafe I really have.....

Ronaldo was a purchase that the entire squad demanded after they played against him when he was 17 or 18..... he came to United and was regarded incredibly highly by everyone at the club, and rightly so, he’s gone on to be one of the greatest of all time. You’re comparing Martial, a guy who was pretty good in France and has been pretty good in England to Ronaldo? Wow.

And anyway, it was well documented Ronaldo was put on a harsh learning curve at United, Fergie practically beat the stepovers and unnecessary dives out of him, as did Roy Keane. He was in and out of the team, often as a substitute. Just like Martial is now!

Difference is, Ronaldo had an incredible attitude and desire to reach the top. Does Martial? Don’t you think if Martial could help Mourinho win things, he’d be playing every week? We’ve seen evidence of how he can help us win things, roughly once every 4 games. Inconsistencies that wouldn’t get him in a Fergie team, or a Mourinho team.
No, I was comparing the treatment of young, flawed players, I also mentioned Sane but you of course ducked out of that as it doesn't fit your agenda of three worthless paragraphs.

I’ve never spoken to someone more bitter and twisted about a football manager, I could reply all year to you just for entertainment value.
Well given the garbage you've written above I'm bored of you and kinda just feel you're on the WUM at this point, so I'm done with you, given your type I know you'll need to get the last word in so you do that, and we'll call it a day.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
“Throwing players under the bus”? Or stating the standards required to play for United? Just because your beloved Martial and Pogba played terrible, again, you blame the very manager who wasn’t happy with their performances, laughable. They earn hundreds of thousands of pounds a week and train in world class facilities, they don’t need spoon feeding from a soft manager, they SHOULD be told if they’re not good enough. They’re men not kids. Martial isn’t a kid, he’s an international footballer who’s lived and played in 2 countries.
Everything you said about is true for Jose too, he is one of the highest paid manager in the world, has world class facilities and coaching staff. He has spent so much money to sign the players he wanted and the squad which he said was good enough for title challenge in August.

Blind faith in players is as laughable as blind faith in coach.

Also he didn't take over squad that finished 7th, 4th, 5th and 6th. Van Gaal had already cleared the squad that finished 7th and reached 4th and 5th (level on points with City). Jose then finished 6th, so using 6th position as something to argue how difficult Jose's job is laughable considering he finished 6th, not previous coaches.

This season he deserves credit for taking us to 2nd position but rewriting of history and twisting is just hilarious.

#CR7

Doucoure is perfect imo. Not a household name but had a fantastic season in the PL with Watford. Combatative, has the ability to drive forward and a good passing range. Scored 7 goals in the PL this season so seems to tick all the boxes. Him alongside Matic and Pogba would compete against any midfield in the league. (Would be a more sensible buy than someone like Fred as it may take him time to adapt to a new league/culture)

catmandeu

Supports
north east united
You think Mata and Pereira will be cm's for us next season?

Honestly, if there is one part of the pitch we desperatly need to strengthen, it's at cm.

Pogba has almost no defensive awareness, very bad positional sense. He only comes alive when he has the ball running towards goal.

Matic is composed and strong as a horse, perhaps our best cm, but he takes to much time on the ball. Slows down our build up.

Herrera is a good, fairly well rounded midfielder but without any real strengths that makes him a nailed on starter for a team with high ambitions.

Mctominay is a pretty average young talent that could perhaps reach the heights of Butt and Fletcher if he work his socks off every day for the next 3-4 years, but right now he is probably a level below what we need.

Fellaini is a big strong player that plays with a lot of passion and determination out there, but even at his best he's just a last option from the bench, just not good enough.

I'm sorry but Mata and Pereira doesn't even come into that discussion.

So, imo we should go all in for at least one really good cm, preferably two.

My brain melts when i read that Mourinho is fighting teeth and nails to keep Fellaini.
Well thats my point. I want my defenders to defend and attackers to attack. Now that also means that when needed an attacking player should also try to intercept passes or disposses opposition. Thats why my back four is well invested mobile players with good tackle in them and big lungs to cover the whole ground.

The good thing about the team i mentioned is that when the team does get possession of the ball, we have enough creative players to keep that possession and build an attack . Right now, if you see pogba and sanchez, two highly creative players eats each others spaces which makes the opposition too easy to mark them. To save them, jose never asks his midfielder to join the traingle, rather asks lukaku to drop deep. What happens is even if we release the ball high up, we either have a wide player or a midfielder who receives the ball and none are lethal from their positions.

We dont widen the pitch enough when in possession, which makes pur team susceptible for counters in dangerous positions .

catmandeu

Supports
north east united
If we really want a midfielder, we need someone who can play as a regista. Pogba is too flashy to play that role even if he has a good range and matic is too stiff. Herrera cannot play as regista as I have never seen that quality in him. If i were a manger with this team and no budget to add anyone, i might try to bring mata in to play as regista or maybe even daley blind and play two central mids like pogba and herrera or lingard. Ofcouse many would say blind in regista role is stupid but when he has been playing consistently, he teamed up well in defence, that means his positioning is good. He was also good in lb, which shows his range is good. What he lacks is pace and registas dont really need pace much like pirlo or modric or our very carrick. Any other enforcer in the team will not solve our problem. James Rodriguez is a good shout too but then he is most like an attacking mid or a second striker.

Bottomline is if we intend to play a 3 men midfield, we need a regista, if we play a 2 men midfield we need an attacking mid or second striker. Now its upto jose, how he intends to play. In epl a 2 men midfield is sufficient but in europe we need a 3 men midfield.

Jonno

I've never said that, in fact we already established winning is not the focus for me in this discussion, but like most of what you've written in this bloviated mess of a Mourinho shrine you've shovelled at me, you just made something up to suit your agenda.
I've got an agenda? You are the person whos said you don't care if Manchester United win lose or draw, or win trophies. That my friend is a huge agenda.

So many excuses, it's pathetic, Pogba is far from perfect, he has flaws, never said he didn't, but if he had a manager that knew how to deal with flair players that need coaching, rather than just grinder dogs that follow orders like drones, maybe things would work better.
Excuses? Pogba slotted seamlessly into a team that is about to win their SEVENTH Serie A title in a row, with him or without him. He wasn't a crucial part of their team he slotted in as a youngster and played great football in patches. We've had several players like this in the past who haven't gone on to be world class.

He's used more than 2 formations, but whether you watch the games or just read the results I am starting to wonder, I am guessing maybe it's the latter and that is how you can keep defending this toxic manager. Also, there was a delusional manager with 1 way of playing and he's the best manager in the game sitting 17 points ahead of your boy,. but hey ho, lets just ignore that.
He might switch things to shut out games for 30 mins here or there, but on the whole he has based his season on two formations. One of them Pogba is awful in, and the other Pogba is either awful or brilliant.

I watch every single game, I often re-watch every single game too. I may be over in Auckland but I wake up whatever time they play, and I was a season ticket holder for 10 years before I left England.

Again, how is he delusional? Is he delusional the way he's going to get over 80 points in his second season, another cup final, slowly improving the squad with each window? I think you're delusional. You seem to think we're 10th in the league winning nothing and dropping down the table.

I agree Pep is the best manager in the world, but does that warrant sacking one of the top 3 or 4 managers in the world in Mourinho, because you're jealous of what City have? Ever heard the term cut your nose off to spite your face?

1 season in a new league and he's scored 1 in 2, and you think it's the same as what he was doing in Brazil, as if that is comparable to the PL, in the exact same post that you talk down about Serie A in comparison to the PL, I'm starting to get your "Just say any old shit" in big blocks of text and hope no one notices.
He's a good player, but I don't see any improvement from when he was scoring for fun in Brazil. The PL is a step up, but walking into one of the best PL sides ever instead of playing for Palmeiras will also help his cause in adjusting to a better league.

No, I was comparing the treatment of young, flawed players, I also mentioned Sane but you of course ducked out of that as it doesn't fit your agenda of three worthless paragraphs.
Sane has improved, I like him, he's a good player. I didn't duck out of anything I simply didn't disagree with you so I didn't feel the need to respond. Ronaldo was put on a harsh learning curve at United to stop his diving, step-overs and was often a substitute for the first couple of years. Sound similar to Martial? Despite Ronaldo being twice as talented as Martial at the same age?

Well given the garbage you've written above I'm bored of you and kinda just feel you're on the WUM at this point, so I'm done with you, given your type I know you'll need to get the last word in so you do that, and we'll call it a day.
Garbabe? Wum? I'm passionately discussing the club I support. I've defended a manger against unfair criticism where you have an agenda to blame everything on him in some strange attempt to make others believe. The guy has won everywhere he's gone and he's visibly improved the squad, our win rate, scoring rate, goals conceded rate, clean sheet rate, cup win rate, all in under 2 seasons. I'm not saying he's doing an excellent job, he's doing a good, progressive job - yet a tiny section of fans like you think he's doing a bad job. Strange.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
The loudest rumours are on the Sergej and Fred front. I'd be happy going into the new season with our midfield options being:

Pogba (box-to-box/attacking midfielder)
Sergej (box-to-box/attacking midfielder)
Herrera (box-to-box/energy in midfield)
Fred (box-to-box/energy in midfield)
Matic (defensive midfielder)
McTominay (defensive midfielder)

Assuming that we play a 3 in midfield, then we have enough competition and rotation options.

Fer

The loudest rumours are on the Sergej and Fred front. I'd be happy going into the new season with our midfield options being:

Pogba (box-to-box/attacking midfielder)
Sergej (box-to-box/attacking midfielder)
Herrera (box-to-box/energy in midfield)
Fred (box-to-box/energy in midfield)
Matic (defensive midfielder)
McTominay (defensive midfielder)

Assuming that we play a 3 in midfield, then we have enough competition and rotation options.
Who would you use as your playmaker? I mean, a player similar to Kroos, Pjanic, Thiago, etc.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Who would you use as your playmaker? I mean, a player similar to Kroos, Pjanic, Thiago, etc.
You don't necessarily have to have one.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
Like the above poster has said, you don't need one dedicated playmaker. Everyone shares the burden, not just one player. Matic is well capable of controlling the midfield in our own half as we have already seen many times this season, Pogba and Sanchez can take over in the attacking thirds.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Sorry for the bump but feels like this needs to be revisited.
When we think we've plugged a hole in our squad, another one appears. The gap between our starting midfield players and the bench is too big at the moment. If someone gets injured, it doesn't even look like there's anyone that can do a job. We've spent €200m on the position in two years and still looks like we need to spend a lot more.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
We have to give our signings time though. Fred is not a write off yet and Fellaini can still do a decent job as a backup option.

Least of our concerns, I would say !

Judas

Open to offers
We have a habit of giving players too much time. Fellaini can do a job as a backup, but we need backups that can come in and replace players like Pogba when he gets injured. At the moment, a few injuries to key players and we're fecked.

red thru&thru

There’s a difference between a whole new midfield three being set up at the same time to one player coming into replace one player from the established three.

Like Ole said himself, he made too many changes at the same time, which you could tell that it affected the team.

sideshow_bob

Supports
Healthy nutrition
This Leandro Parades guy just reminds me of Carrick so much.

Obligatory YT video:

Dante

Average bang
I hope we buy Axel Witsel. And then we play Axel Tuanzebe in defence.

That way we'll have a central axle made up of Axel's.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I am prepared to give Fred a few more go's. Did some alright things today, but some woeful things as well. But the whole team was poor bar one or two players.

His control seems to let him down on occasion. Lack of concentration or nerves perhaps.

Tony247

Why not sign Fabregas for a year or two? He is creative midfielder and can provide good bench strength in key matches.

Tony247

I am prepared to give Fred a few more go's. Did some alright things today, but some woeful things as well. But the whole team was poor bar one or two players.

His control seems to let him down on occasion. Lack of concentration or nerves perhaps.
His lack of awareness of opposition player closing down on him is worrying too. And then he can't get the ball out of difficult situation, uncharacteristic for a brazillian player.

Canagel

Midfield is our strongest position on the pitch. Let the funds go towards getting a RW,CB, RB first.

Tony247

Midfield is our strongest position on the pitch. Let the funds go towards getting a RW,CB, RB first.
Only Pogba is creative midfielder. Rest all are supporting cast. We urgently need someone creative who can replace him in case of injury/suspension.

Patrick08

Nah, it's not. Our attack is still the strongest. We'd loose the midfield battle to the likes of city Tottenham may be Liverpool as well easily. A midfield has to keep control of the game with and without the ball and we are not the sharpest and best at both aspects. Also creativity wise we are very limited and lack depth.

Judas

Open to offers
It just isn't though. We've got barely any depth, and if something happened to Pogba that would be that, we'd be screwed.

I don't get how many people are seemingly happy with how weak our squad is.

Johan07

I would say CB, FB (either side) and CM. I dont agree that midfield is our strongest position at all squad-wise. We are ridicilously well-stocked going forward and there is no reason why any of Sanchez, Rashford or Martial could play RW if one wants a more "classic" winger than an inverted one.
We are weak squad-wise at CM though. Mourinho kept Pereira and McTominay around without intending to use anyone of them more regularly. That was a stupid decision to begin with, one of them if not both should have gone on loan this season and we should have gotten one more CM in IMO.
That has to happen next summer though, I would imagine that Pereira leaves and I really hope that McT goes on loan for his own sake. That leaves two CM-places to be filled so it might not even be enough with one external addition. One could promote a player like Garner I suppose. Let him have a learning year in the squad with the view of loaning him out for some real playing time the year after.
Still need one established player in at CM IMO, its more important than this "RW" that everyone is going on about.

Infra-red

Assuming we lose Herrera for nothing in the summer, Allan would be my first choice replacement.

Either way, we could probably do with a deep-lying passer - Neves or perhaps Brozovic would fit the bill here.

Patrick08

Assuming we lose Herrera for nothing in the summer, Allan would be my first choice replacement.

Either way, we could probably do with a deep-lying passer - Neves or perhaps Brozovic would fit the bill here.
I am least bothered about loosing Herrera in the summer for free to be fair.

red thru&thru

His lack of awareness of opposition player closing down on him is worrying too. And then he can't get the ball out of difficult situation, uncharacteristic for a brazillian player.
Agree. Some of these skills which I don't believe will be sorted by giving him more time. He does at times just seems as though he's trying to impress too much. He could do with calming down.

izec

CB, RW, FB are a must

another midfielder would be nice, loan out McTominay and sell Fellaini and Pereira will leave on a free. There is room for another player and improvement, we need to nail that midfield signing. That would leave us with Pogba, Herrera, Matic and Fred + X.

Depends on which type of player we want, but Frenkie De Jong would be my ideal choice and there is really no shortage of talent currently.

Last edited:

Real Madras

Supports
Real Oviedo
For a holding midfielder in the mould of Matic, I would take someone like Axel Witsel or even Kondogbia who had Pogba in his pocket last season. Just a suggestion of course so don't bash me.

Johan07

CB, RW, FB are a must

another midfielder would be nice, loan out McTominay and sell Fellaini and Pereira will leave on a free. There is room for another player and improvement, we need to nail that midfield signing. That would leave us with Pogba, Herrera, Matic and Fred + X.

Depends on which type of player we want, but Frenkie De Jong would be my ideal choice and there is really no shortage of talent currently.
So you will get rid of three of our CM-squad players and replace them with one? If we get rid of three we need three in. Thats the reality, we cant go into a season with 5 CM-options. If McT and Pereira leaves I could see us bringing Garner up into the squad but that would be it for young talent for me.
Still would need two CMs more in.
It would be seriously expensive to do that, especially wage-wise. And if you also want to upgrade the other positions it will not be doable.
If we want to do anything like what you are suggesting we are realistically looking at not renewing De Geas contract, getting rid of Sanchez and at least two, probably three of Fellaini, Mata Lukaku and Matic. And keeping Pereira and McT instead.
Its not realistic.

Ace of Spades

We should be looking for a CM, but someone who can control a game and set the tempo. Still, it is something far less important than CBs, a RW and a FB as well.