The season's schedule - it's madness right?

fps

The season is honestly much more of an asterisk than last season. Schedule is mental players staff and everyone will just be trying to survive it without permanent damage.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I don't understand why they are having international breaks in the middle of a global pandemic.
Next two international breaks will also have 3 games instead of two. I really don't understand that as it will just be an extra friendly and nations in Commebol will only be playing two games with the start of their World cup qualifiers.

I thought introduction of nations league was supposed to have finished friendly games?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
The season is honestly much more of an asterisk than last season. Schedule is mental players staff and everyone will just be trying to survive it without permanent damage.
Yep I agree, made much worse aswell by empty stadiums for pretty much all the season by looks of it.

Even though we (Villa) might actually have a decent season at top level for once I'm starting to feel a bit detached by it all.

Amir

No one gives a feck about the players. Just about filling obligations to the schedule and TV companies in order to get the money. Sickening.

Dante

Average bang
Don't sell the deadwood. They might not be world beaters, but we'll need them more than people realise.

Chief123

Top players be playing for 3 years non stop with no prolonged break. It’s insane.

This season
Summer Euros
Next season
Summer World Cup
3rd season

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
PL clubs would never all agree to it but there is a good reason to treat the carling cup as an U-23 tournament this season.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Next two international breaks will also have 3 games instead of two. I really don't understand that as it will just be an extra friendly and nations in Commebol will only be playing two games with the start of their World cup qualifiers.

I thought introduction of nations league was supposed to have finished friendly games?
I think international breaks could have very easily been done away with, a really stupid risk in an already strained season.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Not to harp on about transfers but the insane schedule underlines the fact that squad depth will be particularly important this season. It's not a good year to fall short in the transfer market.

Between the crazy schedule, the knock on impact of injuries sustained and the increased variance from penalties, an "unlucky" team could find themselves doing particularly badly this year.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I think international breaks could have very easily been done away with, a really stupid risk in an already strained season.
The September one was ridiculous considering it was just europe that played.

Ultimately world cup qualifiers will have to be played (Commebol somehow got to cram in 18 games in next two years and think Asia also has loads of games) but you could always go into summer 2022 if you have to so actually a winter world cup works o.k in that regard at least.

Think a better solution would've been just to bin off international football for this year allowing more time for domestic games and then perhaps next March have 4 weeks where you can play 6-7 international games. Then domestic run in comes back in April with hopefully more fans for the last 10 games.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Worse than the schedule is the clubs voting against 5 subs
I definitely wouldn't say it's worse, but it was incredibly shortsighted. And with regards to the England team, if the Euros go through as planned, it leaves them at a disadvantage to countries who allow that (think Germany do, at least).

But yes, a very stupid decision.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I definitely wouldn't say it's worse, but it was incredibly shortsighted. And with regards to the England team, if the Euros go through as planned, it leaves them at a disadvantage to countries who allow that (think Germany do, at least).

But yes, a very stupid decision.
Even small teams would have benefited from it. It makes no sense to say no to it.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Even small teams would have benefited from it. It makes no sense to say no to it.
Pandemic aside, smaller squads would benefit less, which is what lead to this stupid decision. But we're still dealing with this pandemic and the multitude of consequences, so that should have been the focus. Promising young players would have benefited at almost every club - which is a missed opportunity.

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
What was the point in holding a nations cup this year, just play the qualifiers for the euros and then in March start the World Cup qualifiers it’s pointless hosting a stupid tournament in a congested year, no ones getting gate revenue tv revenue for internationals can’t be that much.

Dan_F

Don’t be daft, we can’t be seen to be doing the same thing as the rest of Europe.

You just know with our tough schedule coming up that Ole is going to play that same 11 for every fixture too. Poor Maguire is going to wish he was in a Greek prison cell by the end of the season.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
What was the point in holding a nations cup this year, just play the qualifiers for the euros and then in March start the World Cup qualifiers it’s pointless hosting a stupid tournament in a congested year, no ones getting gate revenue tv revenue for internationals can’t be that much.
There’s be nations not happy with that as it’s a route into the euros for them maybe.

the best idea I’ve seen is u23 for the league cup.it can’t just be scrapped because fans of big teams don’t rate it, it’s a great cash bonus for lower league teams who need the money more than ever

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
There’s be nations not happy with that as it’s a route into the euros for them maybe.

the best idea I’ve seen is u23 for the league cup.it can’t just be scrapped because fans of big teams don’t rate it, it’s a great cash bonus for lower league teams who need the money more than ever
Wasn’t that all decided on last years nations cup for the euros anyway

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Wasn’t that all decided on last years nations cup for the euros anyway
Ah ok I’m not sure, I just remember there being a way into the euros from it

if that’s the case andthere’s nothing at the end of it but a glorified friendly trophy I’d agree with scrapping it for a year

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
100%. I think the smaller clubs were against it. But it’s madness. Games in December will be low on quality that’s for sure

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Not that it changes anything but the 2022 World Cup is November to December.

No fecking clue how thats going to work with all this now...
If it results in a shortened season, or a season without any Internationals and domestic cup competitions, it can work. Otherwise, it's just increased backlog.

Personally, think the Euros should be scrapped.

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
Ah ok I’m not sure, I just remember there being a way into the euros from it
Reading it now it looks like they picked this years one to add teams to a play off, still they could of went back and taken the teams from last years one for the play offs next year, as your only going to have more injuries, more shit that went on with the 2 boys, high risk of corona, it’s just plane stupid to have more international’s during a pandemic.

Ludens the Red

Top players be playing for 3 years non stop with no prolonged break. It’s insane.

This season
Summer Euros
Next season
Summer World Cup
3rd season
I do not believe the Euros will take place. The idea that in June there’ll be thousands of fans freely travelling around the world is a pipe dream. There’s zero point in even hosting a Euros without fan participation especially this one. At the very minimum the Euros will not be spread out all over Europe.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Reading it now it looks like they picked this years one to add teams to a play off, still they could of went back and taken the teams from last years one for the play offs next year, as your only going to have more injuries, more shit that went on with the 2 boys, high risk of corona, it’s just plane stupid to have more international’s during a pandemic.
I know. It does seem madness that international football is going on I agree with that, and I’m a fan of international football usually and don’t mind when the games come around

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
The games just don’t really feel like they matter at all right now. Lack of crowds is starting to taint the product IMO.

Chief123

I do not believe the Euros will take place. The idea that in June there’ll be thousands of fans freely travelling around the world is a pipe dream. There’s zero point in even hosting a Euros without fan participation especially this one. At the very minimum the Euros will not be spread out all over Europe.
I feel the euros will take place but it’ll be behind closed doors and restricted to one country. Similar set up to how champions league was set up last month.

Pughnichi

Doubt that. Most FAs are doing a good job in containment of Korona, especially in top leagues. They'll carry on, with no spectators.
its a shambles at grassroots. Teams losing players, not necessarily because of positive cases, but bubbles, classes, years are being sent home from school and subsequently having to isolate until they get a negative test. Games are being played with low numbers and/or regularly being cancelled. Managers are frustrated, parents are frustrated.

RedStarUnited

The games just don’t really feel like they matter at all right now. Lack of crowds is starting to taint the product IMO.
How so? The average goal per game must be as high as its ever been. Add the VAR factor, The TV companies are in heaven with all the controversy.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
How so? The average goal per game must be as high as its ever been. Add the VAR factor, The TV companies are in heaven with all the controversy.
Just feels like preseason. The games just don’t feel like real games.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Don’t be daft, we can’t be seen to be doing the same thing as the rest of Europe.

You just know with our tough schedule coming up that Ole is going to play that same 11 for every fixture too. Poor Maguire is going to wish he was in a Greek prison cell by the end of the season.
:lol:

Amarsdd

Big deal, most of these players earn more in a month than most people on planet earn in their entire lifetime.
One hectic season in a world crisis is something they should be ready to accept.
think everyone have accepted the situation. Its more about whether they can handle it physically and mentally. Based on the evidence of teams with longer last season, they are still struggling to get used to it. And I don't think getting paid millions per month changes much in that regards unless they can go buy 100% rejuvenation potions with those millions.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Why would you complain as someone who obviously watches on TV? You turn on the TV and you can see your team perform almost twice a week. What's not to like about that?

Lord SInister

where grasses are green and girls are pretty
think everyone have accepted the situation. Its more about whether they can handle it physically and mentally. Based on the evidence of teams with longer last season, they are still struggling to get used to it. And I don't think getting paid millions per month changes much in that regards unless they can go buy 100% rejuvenation potions with those millions.
That is their headache.
If the teams can't manage the resources at disposal, they deserve to get relegated.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
International football should have been cancelled for a minimum of 1 year.

I hope Ole withdraws several players from International duty with 'niggles'. Absolute joke what we are expecting these players to do. It's going to be a disaster.

DRM

International football and the league cup should've been binned.

Dan_F

Why would you complain as someone who obviously watches on TV? You turn on the TV and you can see your team perform almost twice a week. What's not to like about that?
Of all the things to moan about in the world right now, it’s pretty low down. Unless you actually go to games of course.

I don’t understand on what basis the tv companies are asking for refunds. They are showing matches in so many different time slots, surely the amount of overall viewers is more than usual.