g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

The size/stature of the top 6 clubs right now

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
This discussion came to mind when reading the revenue growth thread from last weekend: https://www.redcafe.net/threads/rev...ier-league-teams-over-the-past-decade.446177/

In a previous thread, I said that the only thing that'll make City a big club is continued success and the passage of time. 15 years on from Mourinho's first season, I think we're far enough into Chelsea's revitalization now to consider them a big club in their own right... But how big, exactly?

Let's just get the obvious out of the way: United are the biggest club in the country, and top 3 in the world with the La Liga giants. Liverpool are second... But after that? Is the gap between Arsenal & the rest fading? Are Spurs catching up due to good management while the Gunners are constantly mismanaged? Are City bigger than Spurs? It's not like their respective trophy hauls are all that different, and City's are a lot more recent, bought or not.

So, how do you currently see it? The obvious answer is probably:

1. Man United
2. Liverpool
3. Arsenal
4. Chelsea
5. Spurs
6. Man City

But maybe taking all things into consideration, you see it differently. Which gaps are closing? Which are growing bigger?

Nedu

Supports
Barcelona
Past history

Liverpool
Man united
Arsenal
Chelsea
Spurs
City

Recent history

Man united
City
Chelsea
Arsenal
Liverpool
Spurs

Overall/current standings

Man united
Liverpool
Arsenal
Chelsea
City
Spurs

1. Manchester United

2. Liverpool
3. Manchester City

4. Chelsea

5. Arsenal

6. Spurs

Arsenal's years of mediocrity have cost them whilst Spurs are yet to really establish themselves. Chelsea were at the top too briefly to make a real case to stay there.

Cal?

CR7 fan
1. Manchester United

2. Liverpool

3. Chelsea

4. Man City

5. Arsenal

6. Spurs

Until MC win a CL

Thunderhead

Supports
City
Past history

Liverpool
Man united
Arsenal
Chelsea
Spurs
City
How is Chelsea's past history (I'm presuming you're confusing winning things with history?) greater than City or Spurs?

Cat1989

Supports
Arsenal
1) Man Utd

2) Liverpool

3) Arsenal

4) Chelsea

5) Spurs

6) Man City

Last edited by a moderator:

Ballache

Supports
Martial
United and Liverpool are in a unique situation in the sense that they will always be the biggest, Arsenal to some extent too; after that it's varies.
ATM:
United
Liverpool
Arse
Chelsea/City
Spurs

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
United and Liverpool are in a unique situation in the sense that they will always be the biggest
Why would you think that? Neither were considered the biggest until they went on their long title winning streaks, and if either drops off in future for a long time then they won't be again. This idea that a club will always be biggest doesn't stand up to examination. There were some massive clubs in the past that are languishing in the Championship now. It can happen to anyone with some bad luck and poor decision making.

Also Liverpool are having a resurgence but they still haven't won a title in 29 years. How exactly are they bigger than Chelsea or Arsenal? They win less, sell less shirts and have less social media support from fans globally.

The only way Liverpool are one of the biggest clubs is if its a completely subjective choice by people or if you only count historical trophies.

Treble

If you go by the biggness of the fan base and the number of trophies then Arsenal are probably top 3. But another criterion is attractiveness for footballers and managers right now. And I can't see any of the top managers and players choosing Arsenal over City and Chelsea, even if the wages are the same. Attractiveness is obviously important for the stature of a club. Milan have great history but their stature has taken a big hit becasue they don't compete for the bigest trophies now and no top top player would go there.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Not really sure what makes Liverpool bigger than Chelsea and Arsenal apart from their history. Maybe they have bigger fanbase and revenues?

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
I don't see United at top right now.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I don't see United at top right now.
The size of the club remains unchanged despite the lack of recent success. I dont believe the point of this thread is to rank who's the most attractive proposition to players at this moment in time because obviously City would be top in that regard

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Size to me means little though. At the end of the day, size doesn't win you trophies, or gets you the best players, or even indicates if you are well run. Look at Liverpool the past 2/3 decades.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Not really sure what makes Liverpool bigger than Chelsea and Arsenal apart from their history. Maybe they have bigger fanbase and revenues?
Both.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I guess in certain ways it's subjective. When Chelsea and Arsenal were winning leagues and going far in the CL, I considered them bigger clubs than Liverpool. Only this season when Liverpool are at the top again, I see them as geniunly one of the biggest clubs. But yeah I guess it's a about revenue, fanbase and history. I see City as a big club for the simple reason they are rich and succesfull. Sooner or later their history and fanbase will expand even if it was bought.

deadrevelz

I'm one of the few United fans who doesn't care about the 'size' of the club. It doesn't make you win trophies, especially nowadays. All it does is (if you are a massive club) protect you from total disaster.

I'd much rather lose 500 million fans and win more trophies. I'd rather have winners in the team instead of big names. I'd rather lose 47m a year than have that vile chavrolet logo on the shirt.

Sauldogba

1. Man United
2. Man City
3. Arsenal
4. Liverpool
5. Chelsea
6. Spurs

I Just can't have Liverpool as high as so many of you have.
A team thats won one Trophy. (A poxy one) in 10 years.
No League in nearly 30.
I cant have it im sorry.

DAV771

Supports
Newport County
1. United
2. Liverpool
3. Arsenal
4. Chelsea
5. Spurs
6. City

United are obviously the biggest English club when looking at fanbase, revenue, trophies etc. Liverpool are also huge on an international scale, everyone knows who they are/what they've done in the past.

If you showed most non football fans a liverpool/united badge with the team name wiped off, 99% would probably recognise it. Show a non football fan a City badge with the name scrubbed off, most wouldn't have a clue.

Despite City buying their success over the last 10 years they still can't sell their allocation for an FA cup semi at Wembley! They may be more successful in recent times but I'd say that the likes of Leeds, Newcastle, Everton have much bigger followings and are therefore bigger clubs for me.

I'm sure that will change based on the amount of 9-10 year old kids i see walking around in City shirts now. I'm 28 and don't think I'd ever met a City fan until about 4/5 years ago.

Reactions: Penna