The slip or getting sent off after 45 seconds?

Billy Blaggs

Flacco of the Blaggs tribe
100% agree. It was a scumbag tackle.
I'm just talking about the bigger picture.

We've had big players who've had moments of madness as well.
I just feel a bit of empathy for a guy that in his last year at his hometown club, he has:

1) Suffered the slip that "lost them the title" he never managed to win.
2) Lost his starting place in the team
3) Had a moment of madness in his final game against their biggest rivals
Yeah that's true. Today was awesome though. He'll never forget this either. Last match and doing that.
Add on the Van Gaal slap in Giggs face.

The slip was easily the bigger screw up.

The stamp was one of the funniest things ive ever seen in football. Everything* from the anticipation of Captain Fantastic inspiring another Istanbul to his first headless chicken tackle on Mata made it even better.

* i say everything, but thats actually all he did.

Billy Blaggs

Flacco of the Blaggs tribe
The slip was easily the bigger screw up.

The stamp was one of the funniest things ive ever seen in football. Everything* from the anticipation of Captain Fantastic inspiring another Istanbul to his first headless chicken tackle on Mata made it even better.

* i say everything, but thats actually all he did.
You know what I found the most funny.
The delayed warm up. The commentators bigging him up. It made it even funnier. Plus Herrera got up so it was all for nothing.

theyneverlearn

and this one probably never will
Gerrard in tears after the match before the slip, thinking it was his time, captain fantastic to bring the PL to Liverpool.

I can't help but smile knowing what would happen Vs Chelsea.

Couldn't make it up.

Vooon

Hal Institute for Criminally Insane Robots
The slip surely is one of the most epic feck ups in modern football. I'm struggling to remember any single incident by a single player with bigger impact than that. Roberto Baggio's penalty against Brazil in the 1994 WC comes to mind. If I was to write a book called "The ten most epic feck ups in football history" I'm pretty sure the slip would be a top three, if not number one. It's the kinda stuff Hollywood bases an entire movie on.

The stamp was just moronic behavior from a guy who was too fired up, classic hot head situation with that tackle on Mata just before. It was the United fan's personal slip, an awesome moment that will be cherished for years.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
I think it has to be the slip - if not for that Liverpool could/would have won the league last season, and Gerrard would have most likely retired bowing out on top. But instead he slipped and they finished second, so he's decided to play on another season to chase the dream for one season too many. This in turn allowed the stamp to happen, ergo no slip no stamp.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
The slip surely is one of the most epic feck ups in modern football. I'm struggling to remember any single incident by a single player with bigger impact than that. Roberto Baggio's penalty against Brazil in the 1994 WC comes to mind. If I was to write a book called "The ten most epic feck ups in football history" I'm pretty sure the slip would be a top three, if not number one. It's the kinda stuff Hollywood bases an entire movie on.

The stamp was just moronic behavior from a guy who was too fired up, classic hot head situation with that tackle on Mata just before. It was the United fan's personal slip, an awesome moment that will be cherished for years.
JT slip would be #1.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
The slip was a historical event that will never be forgotten.

Thank you Steven for the memories.

montpelier

This 40 second red card is like the port & cigars after the slippy league losing banquet.

Sparky Rhiwabon

I don't like it being called a slip to be honest. The problem was he failed to control the ball and the slip was in attempting to retrieve the situation, but he wouldn't have caught Ba even if he hadn't slipped.

It would be churlish to criticise him for a lack of control though when many of his driving runs were created through him chasing a poor first touch.

arthurka

Stevie G you can not make this shit up. This team has something catchy in it.. Slip'n and slid'n, stamping and biting.... Liverpool our comedy gold.. Couldn't have happened to a more fitting player.. And that slip wins hands down still burst into laughter watching it...

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout

It would however require Baggio to have said before the shoot-out... "Lads... this doesn't go over the bar"

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
I don't like it being called a slip to be honest. The problem was he failed to control the ball and the slip was in attempting to retrieve the situation, but he wouldn't have caught Ba even if he hadn't slipped.

It would be churlish to criticise him for a lack of control though when many of his driving runs were created through him chasing a poor first touch.
Yeah but Gerrard didn't tell his teammates "this does not fail to control the ball now".

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Whilst the slip itself was - of course - absolute gold... I also got a big-kick out of the remaining 45 minutes of that game, where a visibly shaken and hurt Stevie G... haunted by the slip of slips... proceeded to play like an absolute lemon and try and win the game by doing things that he wasn't remotely capable of doing - harming his team in the process. Delightful.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Yeah but Gerrard didn't tell his teammates "this does not fail to control the ball now".
:lol:

Enjoyed Tyler's "oh no!" on Sky for the stamp too. Yesterday was a good day.

crimsonife

The slip was a defining moment, his post-match talk at City plus them losing the title because of that, pure gold.

This stamp was pretty comical too though, adding to his legacy