The Spurs Exodus

Member 90887

The better question is who wouldn't you take? Considering a combined XI would contain mostly Spurs players, bar Aurier & Lloris most would get in squad/ XI or argueably should be
Did you watch them this season ?

i'd take our GK and defense all day before theirs. We conceded 7 goals to their 12. their defense conceded 7 goals just last wednesday.

I'd take Pogba in midfield.

i'd probably take the rest of their midfield and their attack (bar Martial).

MrBrightside1989

Kane would be worth spending a fortune on, would totally transform our attack! Why the hell he would want to consider signing for Man Utd would be beyond me.

But as starters the players from spurs worth signing are Kane, Son, Eriksen, Alli, Ndombele...
Any of their squad would improve the depth of ours considerably...

The Neville wears Prada

The situation at Spurs is a curious one... I wonder whether Pochettino has already been contacted by United and has had his head turned already, hence the appalling form. In a way, a form of sabotage to force a move to us.

Furthermore Solskjaer could internally have agreed to 'manage' United until the above happens. At which time he will move to Director of Football. Could also explain why we have not appointed a DoF... We already have him albeit in a different position.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
3 years.

Harry Kane will be at City or Liverpool before he's at United. We'll sign Harry Kane when he's 34.
Man City maybe, but not Liverpool. They had to reign in their spending this year after a big year before.

And Kane would be at least 75% higher than their big year.

TheReligion

Abusive
I'll tell you who I'd take;

1) Son - Obviously we need a wide man and I like his attitude. Hard working. Would fit in well.

2) Kane - The type of player you can't say no to. Would be great at any club.

3) Moura - Would be a great addition to the squad and our forward options.

4) Ndombele - Sat in with Mctominay and Pogba. Ideal.

5) Erikson - As above.

TheReligion

Abusive
Son, Kane, Eriksen, Maura, Sanchez, Lo Celso, Ndombele, Winks, Rose...

I mean, it's bad at the moment for them but don't for a second think we're not in a worse place right now.
Wouldn't take Sanchez or Winks. Lo Celso hasn't even played.

Get your coat lad.

Hamstring Hero

Supports
Örgryte IS
Caf logic:

Spurs players don't function together anymore. Let's bring half of them to United.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Jury is very much out on Ndombele tbh. I’ve never been a big fan personally.

That said, Winks is a brilliant player, I’m a big fan.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Wouldn't take Sanchez or Winks. Lo Celso hasn't even played.

Get your coat lad.
Sanchez has got loads of potential and, whilst Winks isn't anything special, have you seen the state of our midfield options??

Same reason I'd take Lo Celso.

TheReligion

Abusive
Sanchez has got loads of potential and, whilst Winks isn't anything special, have you seen the state of our midfield options??

Same reason I'd take Lo Celso.
We don't need potential at the back. Rather develop Tuanzebe along side Maguire and Lindleof. We are defensively better than Spurs currently.

Mctominay and Pogba would play and you'd likely take Ndombele and Erikson in the pack. Lo Celso would be well down by list based on what I'd seen and what would fit.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
We don't need potential at the back. Rather develop Tuanzebe along side Maguire and Lindleof. We are defensively better than Spurs currently.

Mctominay and Pogba would play and you'd likely take Ndombele and Erikson in the pack. Lo Celso would be well down by list based on what I'd seen and what would fit.
Would also have Tuanzebe over Sanchez, but I would rather Sanchez's potential over Jones' inevitable injuries.

Our midfield is shite. We've only got 2 players who are anywhere near Utd quality, so adding Ndombele, Eriksen and Winks is a no brainer. Especially as Pogba will almost certainly be off in the summer.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
If Son's agent is making flirtatious statements in relation to Napoli speculation, maybe the player is looking to move? He'd definitely fit the Woodward criterion of marketability in A$ia.

I'd take any of Moura, Son, Kane, Alli (yes), Winks, Eriksen.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Will sound daft but none of them. Their defensive lot is either too old or not good enough for a club that presumably wants to build towards the elite level, midfield has a couple noteworthy options but we'll get better value for money elsewhere, Eriksen isn't very press resistant or consistently active so I'd be wary even though he has a lot of positive qualities, and forwards like Kane or Son are going to be waaaay too expensive — they're both practically married to the club with contracts running till 2023/24, so Levy will be well within his rights to take United to the cleaners and demand Galáctico type money, even before we account for the intra-league premium or the United premium or the “Woodward premium”. If I had to guess United would have to pay...
  • £200+ million and £450,000 p.w. wages for Kane
  • £100+ million and £300,000 p.w. wages for Dele, even though he is out of form
  • £100 million+ and £300,000 p.w. wages for Son
As good as they are, Dele's regression notwithstanding, they won't be optimal investments unless we have a really good plan for incorporating them in the setup (which we haven't managed to do with most of our marquee signings in recent seasons), plus individual signings will only take you so far in a fractured and poorly organized setup, and United hasn't started the type of cycle where one offensive signing will have a significant impact on our overall performances, unless said offensive player is a Cruyff level mastermind and can arrange things on his own.

We have quite a few deficiencies from a broader perspective, and will be better served making more shrewd and diverse investments across the pitch, and organically molding players who are on the cusp into top performers. e.g. Instead of Son, we could target players that aren't inferior to the level he reached at Leverkusen: like Olmo, Daka or Hee-chan (both from Salzburg), Werner — could realistically acquire a pair of them and improve the squad as a whole, while spending less than what we would have to part with for Son.

Scholsey2004

We're two points behind them in the table I believe. Their wheels may be falling off but we converted to a sledge some time since.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Will sound daft but none of them. Their defensive lot is either too old or not good enough for a club that presumably wants to build towards the elite level, midfield has a couple noteworthy options but we'll get better value for money elsewhere, Eriksen isn't very press resistant or consistently active so I'd be wary even though he has a lot of positive qualities, and forwards like Kane or Son are going to be waaaay too expensive — they're both practically married to the club with contracts running till 2023/24, so Levy will be well within his rights to take United to the cleaners and demand Galáctico type money, even before we account for the intra-league premium or the United premium or the “Woodward premium”. If I had to guess United would have to pay...
  • £200+ million and £450,000 p.w. wages for Kane
  • £100+ million and £300,000 p.w. wages for Dele, even though he is out of form
  • £100 million+ and £300,000 p.w. wages for Son
As good as they are, Dele's regression notwithstanding, they won't be optimal investments unless we have a really good plan for incorporating them in the setup (which we haven't managed to do with most of our marquee signings in recent seasons), plus individual signings will only take you so far in a fractured and poorly organized setup, and United hasn't started the type of cycle where one offensive signing will have a significant impact on our overall performances, unless said offensive player is a Cruyff level mastermind and can arrange things on his own.

We have quite a few deficiencies from a broader perspective, and will be better served making more shrewd and diverse investments across the pitch, and organically molding players who are on the cusp into top performers. e.g. Instead of Son, we could target players that aren't inferior to the level he reached at Leverkusen: like Olmo, Daka or Hee-chan (both from Salzburg), Werner — could realistically acquire a pair of them and improve the squad as a whole, while spending less than what we would have to part with for Son.
Generally agree that I'd rather see us unearth top potential for less money and lower expectations. For that we need to have a top notch scouting network. Which we might not have really, given recent history.

I though this thread was more a "what if it all goes to shit there and players become available". A humorous hypothetical. Anyhow, I'd take Kane for 200m and I think he'd be the most value for money we've had since van Persie perhaps.

Scholsey2004

Generally agree that I'd rather see us unearth top potential for less money and lower expectations. For that we need to have a top notch scouting network. Which we might not have really, given recent history.

I though this thread was more a "what if it all goes to shit there and players become available". A humorous hypothetical. Anyhow, I'd take Kane for 200m and I think he'd be the most value for money we've had since van Persie perhaps.
Under those circumstances of be inclined to take virtually their entire attacking unit (including Erikson and Alli).

POF

Moura or Son would be good signings but the 3 running out of contract are the only ones United have any chance of signing.

Eriksen in the number 10 role would make a huge difference to this team. He didn't get his move in the summer, there's a lot of uncertainty at Real just now. United could have a genuine chance of a cut price deal in January.

Toby and Vertonghen are good players but probably the last positions United need just now.

Skills

Snitch
The situation at Spurs is a curious one... I wonder whether Pochettino has already been contacted by United and has had his head turned already, hence the appalling form. In a way, a form of sabotage to force a move to us.

Furthermore Solskjaer could internally have agreed to 'manage' United until the above happens. At which time he will move to Director of Football. Could also explain why we have not appointed a DoF... We already have him albeit in a different position.
Why would Poch ever accept working for Solskjaer?

I'd get it if it was for a credible DOF, but for Solskjaer who's proven himself to be a bit of a joke in football's upper management circles?

Ekeke

I feel like Levy would make us pay a lot more than most other teams to take their players, therefore unless we can get them on a free it wouldnt be worth it

Eric's Seagull

I feel like Levy would make us pay a lot more than most other teams to take their players, therefore unless we can get them on a free it wouldnt be worth it
Think you're right. If Levy is going to sell a player to a potential domestic rival which could strengthen them, he is going to ask extortionate prices compared to what he would charge a European team in my opinion. Although I think anyway he would do his best to sell any players to a European team first.

For this reason and also that I don't believe Woody would be prepared to stump up massive cash for someone like Kane. I couldn't us signing any of them.

Bulldog United

So who do you blame here. Players or Manager.
The "manager" is unhappy and doesn't even think he is the manager; sees himself more as the head coach now.
Numerous players are unhappy too and clearly want to leave.

There's plenty of blame to go around, including Levy too who has contributed to Poch feeling disillusioned.

If Spurs miss out on the Champions League, I'm sure Levy will be more interested in extracting the maximum profit from sales rather than fretting about which domestic rivals he wants to avoid selling his players to. A significant part of the business plan leans heavily on Spurs consistently featuring in the Champions League in the coming years. Miss out, Levy then has to find that money elsewhere.

dev1l

Come next January, Toby and Erikssen can talk to other clubs, unless they extend their contracts with Spurs.
Will Levy do nothing and let them leave for free or tries to sell them at a cut price?

davidmichael

I’d offer Eriksen, Alderweireld and Vertonghen all big wages to join on a free and then ship Mata, Bailly and Rojo to make room for them. I’d offer £150 million for Kane and then have Rashford become a full time left sided attacker rather than ever playing as our central striker again.

As much as I’d like Son I don’t think he’d work for us as he’s not the type of player we’d build around so would be wasted, although we need midfielders I’d rather Rice than Dier or Wanyama and I don’t think Winks would leave anytime soon.

dev1l

I’d offer Eriksen, Alderweireld and Vertonghen all big wages to join on a free and then ship Mata, Bailly and Rojo to make room for them. I’d offer £150 million for Kane and then have Rashford become a full time left sided attacker rather than ever playing as our central striker again.

As much as I’d like Son I don’t think he’d work for us as he’s not the type of player we’d build around so would be wasted, although we need midfielders I’d rather Rice than Dier or Wanyama and I don’t think Winks would leave anytime soon.
Verthongen and Toby both started going backwards.
Kane would be nice but unlikely Levy will let him join us especially with big clubs abroad interested.
Son s agent was reported saying he s interested in joining Napoli. So he s open to leaving too. He can play all the three positions up front, so he maybe useful for us on the right side.
As for Wanyama and Dier, I don't think they ll improve us.

The Neville wears Prada

Why would Poch ever accept working for Solskjaer?

I'd get it if it was for a credible DOF, but for Solskjaer who's proven himself to be a bit of a joke in football's upper management circles?
Good point and I agree. Solskjaer has really 'lucked out' in terms of getting the United job, and indeed getting a relatively 'easy ride' from fans and the media despite relegation form. All very baffling.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Caf logic:

Spurs players don't function together anymore. Let's bring half of them to United.
Realistically it'd be one or two coming to United (I mean, realistically it's probably none). You'd imagine they'd do their due diligence and make sure it's a pair that enjoy playing with each other, but then again it's United.