The Spurs thread | 2017-18 season | Serious thread - wummers/derailers will be threadbanned

Will Spurs finish in the top four in the upcoming season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Irrational.

Itchy feet bound to happen soon with their stars.
I hope they do. World class talents like Eriksen and Kane are wasted at Spurs - they are fast becoming a talent graveyard.

Though Kane looks perfectly happy to stay there in fairness. He's happy being the big fish there without winning anything (except the golden boot). You have to question his ambition though.

el3mel

Not buying it. Go to the recent Wenger threads and see how much those recent FA cup wins are valued (FYI, I give him credit for those).

Again, a trophy is a trophy, and Spurs would be better off with any. But let's not pretend as if the importance of said trophies is variable on who's winning it. No one would value Pochettino much better or put Spurs on the next level if they won a bunch of FA Cups and Carling Cups. And like you've admitted, the "springboard" effect is not the norm, but more of an exception.
The value of Fa cup for a team like Spurs is x10 times more important and valued than it's for Arsenal, Chelsea or United.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
This is the kind of comment Glaston can't resist. He's reading it now, fingers frozen over the keys, battling the urge to make some pompous comment about how unfounded the idea is...
There are far easier ways to bait @GlastonSpur out of the lurkers section. Just say his name 3 times and he shall appear.

Dare you. Double dare you.

lysglimt

Scout
I am not going to say that I fear for Spurs - but let's be slightly more composed and say that I see problems ahead for them. Alli, Kane, Son, Eriksen - they are all brilliant players, in terms of attacking football they are among the best in the world. Still - they are not even close to winning a trophy. How long can Spurs keep them ? Eriksen is 26 - in the summer he will have been at Spurs for 5 seasons. Harry Kane 25 in the summer. They might keep them one more season after this one. But unless Spurs look close to winning the League, or at least pick up some silverware...I Think at least one of them will go the summer of 2019

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It's crazy how much he has managed to annoy Utd fans when you think of how Spurs win feck all and bottle every really important match.

Can you imagine how arrogant and smug he'd be if Spurs actually won trophies?
On my facebook, when Tottenham win a fairly big game, there's a flood of these embarrassing "memes" and "COYS" self glorying posts that I don't see for any other team. I find it very odd.

But I don't think their fans generally are as arrogant without cause as Arsenal fans.

Djemba-Djemba

On my facebook, when Tottenham win a fairly big game, there's a flood of these embarrassing "memes" and "COYS" self glorying posts that I don't see for any other team. I find it very odd.

But I don't think their fans generally are as arrogant without cause as Arsenal fans.
Aye I have no real issue with Spurs fans or Spurs as a club really.

Only Glaston. And a fair few of their current players actually, dirty feckers.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Aye I have no real issue with Spurs fans or Spurs as a club really.

Only Glaston. And a fair few of their current players actually, dirty feckers.
I think that's bang on, one irritatingly over arrogant poster on Redcafe, and one of the most niggly teams seen for a long time.
How many times did Lingard get trampled over today! Always by a different player, as that's clearly a tactic.

AndyJ1985

Another season where they win absolutely nothing. We've gone through our worst spell in decades since ferguson left and we've won several trophies and we're in another final. Spurs are at their best in decades and still win nothing. Yet their fans are always full of it and smug as feck. You have to wonder why, and why United fans get so wound up by it. They can only dream of being half as successful as United.

Manny

Grammar Police
They get away with being dirty. They certainly worked over Sanchez and Lingard.

manunited1919

Googled CFHT. Canada France Hawai Telescope.

I guess Tottenham fans must need powerful telescopes to catch a glimpse of any trophies. So many of them are in the far-off city of Manchester.

Andre Kagawa

Googled CFHT. Canada France Hawai Telescope.

I guess Tottenham fans must need powerful telescopes to catch a glimpse of any trophies. So many of them are in the far-off city of Manchester.
Never mind the scope needed for finding Harry Houdini.

JSArsenal

Not buying it. Go to the recent Wenger threads and see how much those recent FA cup wins are valued (FYI, I give him credit for those).

Again, a trophy is a trophy, and Spurs would be better off with any. But let's not pretend as if the importance of said trophies is variable on who's winning it. No one would value Pochettino much better or put Spurs on the next level if they won a bunch of FA Cups and Carling Cups. And like you've admitted, the "springboard" effect is not the norm, but more of an exception.

Wenger has suffered because everyone expects him to live up to the impossible standards that he himself set. I don't value the springboard effect as much as I value the moment of winning a trophy itself.

The importance isn't variable based on who is winning it. I disagree on Poch, if he won a trophy or two then his stock would improve. Discussion of him would shift from a "nearly" manager to one who's won trophy but was hamstrung in the league because there were clubs who had a bigger budget than spurs.

Spurs could win the CL next season without any recent prior trophy winning experience. Pool could do the same this season. The key word being could. If they won a few fa cups and carling cups, there is no maybe or what if there, they did it and winning domestic cups is a record in and of itself. We've won 13 and Liverpool have the most League Cups. Spurs have 8 fa cups

You think it wouldn't mean a great deal to the club and the fans if they won a "bunch of FA Cups" and became the most successful side in the competition's history with 14/15? Same for the League Cup

Also FWIW, we could have pushed on from our two cup wins but summer 2015 was the biggest debacle in our club's history. "Not a single player who could improve us", the only club who didn't sign an outfield player. What happened? Leicester won the PL, Leicester! We didn't even sign anyone in January for crying out loud. If we had just made a few signings then things would be so much different

caid

It was a good match. Have to say i was pretty confident of us finishing the match off pretty quickly after we went ahead. Think there was about 3 fouls in the space of 5 minutes, all a bit dirty and needless and knew Hererra could keep you locked in an endless stream of stoppages for a week. I dont think you did much wrong otherwise.
Someone was asking a couple of days back who was the better team overall and I said us but I wasn't sure why. Think were just really hard to beat. We dont make stacks of chances but we do create good chances and were pretty clinical when given the chance. When Pogba is paying attention we're hard to break down. Smalling looks a nightmare to deal with 1v1 and gives nothing away to strikers. De Gea just doesn't get beaten from outside the box. And we have good game management at times. When we go ahead were getting very good at killing games off. Pogba is something else when in the mood too.
You guys have a lot of functional parts but you need upgrades and a bit of class sprinkled throughout the team imo. I'm pretty sceptical you'll do that, I guess you cant really without gambling. Pochetino's attitude to cups is bizarre also. I'd hope he'd be saying something very different to the team but I'd be a bit pissed off regardless i think.

Status
Not open for further replies.