The Spurs thread | 2017-18 season | Serious thread - wummers/derailers will be threadbanned

Will Spurs finish in the top four in the upcoming season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
You've been on this forum 11 years and seen Spurs win one trophy.

In that time Utd have won everything, and yet you still act so smug and arrogant.

It's actually impressive how you manage it.
It's neither smug nor arrogant to say that United are currently no closer than Spurs to winning either the league title or the CL ... it's simply a fair reflection on how things are.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
People still nibble at Glastons bait?
Are Spurs linked with any players inparticular, or are they just renewing all their players at the minute?

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
Are Spurs linked with any players inparticular, or are they just renewing all their players at the minute?
If we can renew players like Verthongen, Eriksen and Son and a new contract for Poch that in itself would be a good transfer window.

If we could get one marquee signing on top of that it would show a signal of intent to take the step up, but who knows if it'll happen.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
De Ligt I’d say will be a definite target when Toby moves on. We need quality midfielders, a link, ball playing midfielder and a back up for Kane/ who can also play on the flanks. If we could get a clear upgrade at either LB or RB I’d say we would be intrested also. I do think there will be money to spend as well as any money for Toby and hopefully Sissoko (hopes China comes calling with silly moneh.

edgar allan

You would have to say another season where Spurs have punched well above their weight in respect of transfer resources. Again they fell away at the wrong time of the season but another CL qualification and have played some brilliant football during the year.
They must be gutted for not turning up in the FA semi as we were there for the taking.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
You would have to say another season where Spurs have punched well above their weight in respect of transfer resources. Again they fell away at the wrong time of the season but another CL qualification and have played some brilliant football during the year.
They must be gutted for not turning up in the FA semi as we were there for the taking.
Yes, yes we are gutted :(.

finneh

It's neither smug nor arrogant to say that United are currently no closer than Spurs to winning either the league title or the CL ... it's simply a fair reflection on how things are.
We're no closer to winning the PL or CL if you completely ignore our turnover. Taking that into consideration if you were to state the 5 teams most likely to win the CL or the 2 teams most likely to win the PL over the next 5 years, United would be mentioned in both.

Spurs would be maybe 15th and 5th respectively.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
We're no closer to winning the PL or CL if you completely ignore our turnover. Taking that into consideration if you were to state the 5 teams most likely to win the CL or the 2 teams most likely to win the PL over the next 5 years, United would be mentioned in both.

While I agree you have the resources to have more of a chance to win the League, there is only one team that will win it for at least the next 2 years.

edgar allan

What has club turnover got to do with winning the CL if either the money isnt invested in the team or we continue to spend the money poorly.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
It'd be helpful that if people stop taking the bait of that "person" in this thread.

There are decent Spurs fans like @balaks and @hellohello. Better to debate/engage with them and keep that child alone.

Last edited:

FireBlade

The fact that its a great achievement to simply finish above United should speak volumes!

You think finishing second with nothing is better than 5th with 2 trophy's and CL qualification all you got was CL football.

I suppose us Utd fans should remember that Spurs are just a mid-table club who has some good players right now.

Well i guess we have a whole new season soon plenty of goals for prince Harry of Kane to steal and trophy's that you wont win!

Must be sad entering every season knowing you wont win anything as net spend is king.

haram

Glaston being deluded again. The gap between us and Spurs will increase next year.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs

I'm sure you would have posted something similar just after Fergie retired, but probably have given United an even higher rating and Spurs lower.

But the reality since then has been that Spurs average league position has been 3.8, whilst United's has been 4.6.

And the income gap between the two clubs has closed significantly in proportional terms during this period and looks set to close further.

So the notion that United are closer to winning the league than Spurs doesn't stand up to scrutiny. And as for United's abject performance in the CL the less said the better.

Last edited:

Deleted member 101472

It'd be helpful that if people stop taking the bait of that "person" in this thread.

There are decent Spurs fans like @balaks and @hellohello. Better to debate/engage with them and keep that child alone.
The former is the best opposition fan on any forum.

Deleted member 101472

@GlastonSpur ive asked you this a few times but I’ll try again.

What’s so different about spurs move to their new stadium than Arsenal’s move to the emirates? Because if the Gunners move is any kind of indicator as to what you can expect...

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Anyone know what Spurs are hoping to get for Dembele? Fellaini might be wrong that it would cost 50m euros to replace him...

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I'm sure you would have posted something similar just after Fergie retired, but probably have given United an even higher rating and Spurs lower.

But the reality since then has been that Spurs average league position has been 3.8, whilst United's has been 4.6.

And the income gap between the two clubs has closed significantly in proportional terms during this period and looks set to close further.

So the notion that United are closer to winning the league than Spurs doesn't stand up to scrutiny. And as for United's abject performance in the CL the less said the better ... your giving them a 5th best chance is very optimistic.
Average league postion? Really?

cyberman

So the notion that United are closer to winning the league than Spurs doesn't stand up to scrutiny. And as for United's abject performance in the CL the less said the better.
Utd almost doubled your income last year!
This is just rambling nonsense

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
@GlastonSpur ive asked you this a few times but I’ll try again.

What’s so different about spurs move to their new stadium than Arsenal’s move to the emirates? Because if the Gunners move is any kind of indicator as to what you can expect...
I think there are two main differences financially speaking:

1. Spurs saved up money for years (very low net spend) etc. to invest in the stadium. Although I don't have Arsenal's figures to hand, my guess is that, as a result, the proportion of the total stadium cost to be borne by debt is lower.

2. The income boost for Spurs from the new stadium will be proportionally much bigger than the boost Arsenal got from their move.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Utd almost doubled your income last year!
This is just rambling nonsense
It isn't nonsense. Compare the income of the two clubs at the end of Fergie's last season and compare them now - the result is that the proportional gap has closed significantly.

Deleted member 101472

1. Spurs saved up money for years (very low net spend) etc. to invest in the stadium. Although I don't have Arsenal's figures to hand, my guess is that, as a result, the proportion of the total stadium cost to be borne by debt is lower.

2. The income boost for Spurs from the new stadium will be proportionally much bigger than the boost Arsenal got from their move.
Proportionally bigger to what degree? And are you adjusting for inflation?

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

Do you expect Spurs, at any point in the future, to be on a comparable level financially to the likes of City, United or Chelsea?

Last edited:

cyberman

It isn't nonsense. Compare the income of the two clubs at the end of Fergie's last season and compare them now - the result is that the proportional gap has close significantly.
The actual gap is almost double though. 2 years in a row as number 1 despite Madrid winning back to back CL.
A few top 4 finishes to bump you up ONE place last year in the revenue league doesn't mean anything.
Imagine if we weren't in the banter years during that time.
Its a nothing argument, making points for the sake of them.
You only scraped into the top 10..I mean come on now.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Isn't that some kind of indicator as to the near future likelihood of winning the league title?
Not in any way, shape or form is that even remotely an indicator as to the future aspirations of the football clubs in question. Pure lunacy to suggest otherwise.

Spurs were on an upward spiral around the period of SAF's retirement (although they have leveled out the last couple of seasons) whilst United had entered a state of transition that would last half a decade or more. When you consider United's financial strength and brand, it is only logical to expect them to buy themselves out of transition and eventually a league title. Spurs had their chance during the Leicester anomoly and failed to capitalise. They are unlikely to find a better chance any time soon, not when you consider the financial strentgh of the teams that oppose them (those mentioned above).

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Proportionally bigger to what degree? And are you adjusting for inflation?
I don't have the figures for Arsenal. But the difference in capacity between Highbury and the Emirates is less than between WHL and our new stadium. More importantly, ours will be more of a stadium complex - multi-use and multi-purpose - and so have multiple income streams.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Do you expect Spurs, at any point in the future, to be on a comparable level financially to the likes of City, United or Chelsea?
Chelsea yes - any sugar-daddy free gifts from Abramovich aside. The others, no .... or not in the near future at least.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
The actual gap is almost double though. 2 years in a row as number 1 despite Madrid winning back to back CL.
A few top 4 finishes to bump you up ONE place last year in the revenue league doesn't mean anything.
Imagine if we weren't in the banter years during that time.
Its a nothing argument, making points for the sake of them.
You only scraped into the top 10..I mean come on now.
The gap maybe nearly double, but that doesn't change the fact that the proportional gap has closed and will close further.

From here on in it's not so much the revenue from league places (including any CL qualifications) that will figure, it's much more the boost in income from our new stadium.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information

Arsenal got a huge boost in match day revenue.

Back then match day revenue was more important. 45% of Arsenal revenue came from Match day. As of 2015-16 it was down to 29%.

No doubt the new stadium will improve Spurs turnover but the trend in football is that it's becoming less important.

Mastadon

Supports
Arsenal

There is absolutely no way that Spurs saved up anything significant and given stadium cost of 800m-1bil I bet whatever number you come up with from 1. above will be completely immaterial.

As for no 2, income boost may be higher but the stadium cost is almost double. Poch thought that the stadium was going to generate money which could be used for the team but the reality is you’re going to be struggling with finances for the next 5 years. Just wait and see. Drop out of the CL and it’s going to really hurt.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Not in any way, shape or form is that even remotely an indicator as to the future aspirations of the football clubs in question. Pure lunacy to suggest otherwise.

Spurs were on an upward spiral around the period of SAF's retirement (although they have leveled out the last couple of seasons) whilst United had entered a state of transition that would last half a decade or more. When you consider United's financial strength and brand, it is only logical to expect them to buy themselves out of transition and eventually a league title. Spurs had their chance during the Leicester anomoly and failed to capitalise. They are unlikely to find a better chance any time soon, not when you consider the financial strentgh of the teams that oppose them (those mentioned above).
Sorry, but league table positions clearly are one indicator (not the only one of course) of near-future title-winning chances. Otherwise you'd give West Ham an equal chance with United on that score.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
League positions aren't a great tell though for future title winning chances. Spurs have finished 3rd, 2nd and 3rd now in a row yet have never seriously looked like they were challenging for the title come April.

cyberman

The gap maybe nearly double, but that doesn't change the fact that the proportional gap has closed and will close further.

From here on in it's not so much the revenue from league places (including any CL qualifications) that will figure, it's much more the boost in income from our new stadium.
I looked it up

Utd £433.2
Spurs £196

Utd £581.2m
Spurs £305m

The difference being a lack of CL football for last year

Its a nonsense point. You might catch us in 100 years if we also fail to qualify for the CL every season as well.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Sorry, but league table positions clearly are one indicator (not the only one of course) of near-future title-winning chances. Otherwise you'd give West Ham an equal chance with United on that score.
Okay, you win. I'm offically lost for words.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
I don't have the figures for Arsenal. But the difference in capacity between Highbury and the Emirates is less than between WHL and our new stadium. More importantly, ours will be more of a stadium complex - multi-use and multi-purpose - and so have multiple income streams.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ur-agrees-to-897-million-plan-for-new-stadium
Tottenham’s matchday revenues will probably more than double to about 100 million pounds per season as a result of the move, Collecott said.
Spurs are thinking that match day revenue will be around £100mil. Around the same as Arsenal.

They are hoping to get £3mil per non-football event. They are allowed 16 non-football events. So it could add an extra £48mil.

James Peril

It’s also an indicator of a big, fecking nasty glass ceiling that you’ll never get past. It must hurt you that we suddenly finished above you once again, perhaps winning a trophy once again - just like that... For all the imaginary success you’re finding behind all the numbers and biased theories, Chelsea will probably buy a few players this summer that will bump you down to 5th again - and nobody would give a single feck. Getting an upturn must have been great, but it doesn’t look like you’re enjoying it one bit. Too bad there are absolutely no trophies to show for it. Bale, Modric, Kane, Walker, Alderweireld... not a single trophy even though you had all the talent in the world as disposal.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ur-agrees-to-897-million-plan-for-new-stadium

Spurs are thinking that match day revenue will be around £100mil. Around the same as Arsenal.

They are hoping to get £3mil per non-football event. They are allowed 16 non-football events. So it could add an extra £48mil.
It’s comertial revenue and fan base that we hope will really increase, yes match day will hopefully in real terms double but that’s not where the big money is.

Status
Not open for further replies.